• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox/Haemimont (Tropico) announce Surviving Mars (city builder, PC/PS4/XB1, 2018)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKzEHFp_WWY

earn more about your journey to Mars here: www.survivingmars.com
Welcome Home! The time has come to stake your claim on the Red Planet and build the first functioning human colonies on Mars on PC, Xbox One and Playstation 4! All you need are supplies, oxygen, decades of training, experience with sandstorms, and a can-do attitude to discover the purpose of those weird black cubes that appeared out of nowhere. With a bit of sprucing up, this place is going to be awesome!

Developer Haemimont Games, creators of the critically acclaimed Tropico 3-5 teams up with publisher Paradox Interactive to bring you Surviving Mars.

Zukkoyaki

This sounds pretty cool and I got a legit chuckle from the trailer! I haven't played a sim or city-builder in a long time. May check this out!

Yesss

Saw this earlier but on mobile so no thread.

Looks fantastic. I've been craving a new, game-y city builder. Skylines was more of a traffic Sim, and urban empire was just broken.

Reminds me a little of Moon Tycoon, anybody else remember that?

That trailer definitely didn't look like it was finished. Spotted a couple rendering errors.

That aside, I enjoyed my time with Tropico, I'd be down for this.

Also console guys getting the city builder stuff if great. Glad the tech is now there.

The tech ? That was never the issue, its the control scheme. They're genres created for pointing with a mouse, they're strategy games. I guess its gonna be on the more simplistic side of things is they're doing it multiplatform. Oh well

m_dorian

Sounds great however most of Paradox games are like Early access games and it is best for me to delay buying them.
Having said that, i truly love Paradox's output, persistence and dedication, i just do not think it is wise for me to buy them day one.

Takat

Great and relevant concept. Could be very interesting, and I do 2018 as still being the "we're trying to colonize Mars" year.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
THERE'S NO WIND TO SPEAK OF ON MARS
NO SANDSTORMS
NO GODDAMN WIND FARMS

Sorry. Science pet peeve.

llehuty

Oh, getting some Outpost 2 vibes.

wRSbKLk.jpg

Damn if I didn't put hundreds of ours into this. I'm IN.

scurker

I'm actually really excited about this. I had this exact same concept for a game a couple years ago, but I was too lazy to implement it. It seems they're hitting on a lot of the key points I had designed out so it'll definitely be something I'll want to see fleshed out in reality.

I'd be more excited if pc was the only platform announced first. The control scheme is probably downgraded to accommodate the console versions if they are developed at the same time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'd be more excited if pc was the only platform announced first. The control scheme is probably downgraded to accommodate the console versions if they are developed at the same time.

Haemimont has been doing simultaneous console releases of the Tropico series for years now and it worked out fine.

StereoVsn

The game sounds interesting. I also liked pretty much all Tropico games so I am in. I do hope that hey will have various options around actually allowing or not allowing for colonists to go back (might be one way trip after all) and more interesting technologies then chemical rockets as tech tree advances (hopefully there is some sort of a tech tree).

I also hope that fuel cells and solar are not the only power sources and that nuclear technology would be available.

Edit:
Haemimont has been doing simultaneous console releases of the Tropico series for years now and it worked out fine.

I don't think this is correct. Maybe 5 released on console close to release but 4 was quite a bit after PC release. Plus I think they dumbed down interface and certain game aspects in 5 to make it more streamlined for consoles.

KodaRuss

NO SANDSTORMS
NO GODDAMN WIND FARMS

It is pretty funny to see this over and over again.

Looks like fun, Ill give it a shot. I need a city/world building sim on my PS4.

StereoVsn

Been thinking about it for a while now. Never played a Tropico game before so might give it a shot.
If you like city builders certainly give it a shot. It's a good game and the interface shouldn't be too bad on the console. Has both sandbox and mission modes.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Oh, getting some Outpost 2 vibes.

Damn if I didn't put hundreds of ours into this. I'm IN.

May want to look up Factorio. Literally looks like the modern version of this.

EGOMON

I first played these guys games was when we got Tropico 5 on PS+ I then fell in love with it then I looked for more so I bought Grand Age Medieval and loved it even more, needless to say I am buying this day 1

Woorloog

Banned
NO SANDSTORMS
NO GODDAMN WIND FARMS

Martian dust storms, when they go global, could be annoying though. Bad for visibility and solar power.
But not dangerous per se, not like Earth hurricanes or even strong storm winds.

So the Tropico 5 guys are making this, while we got a new team on Tropico 6.

Seems like it's Limbic, the guys who made the last two Might & Magic Heroes games. I never played either... Any 4x strategy (or Tropico/EU/Anno/etc) fans play either M&M Heroes VII or VI, and got any thoughts on them for what it means for Tropico 6?

I liked the last Tropico either way, so definitely gonna check out this Mars game, too.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Available March 15:th In Surviving Mars, players will lead a colonization effort on the surface of Mars, from the very first rovers and supply drops to the construction of suitable habitats for brave settlers from Earth. Every colonist will be vital to the mission as the colony struggles to gain a foothold where the environment is hostile and resources are scarce.

With each success, however, players will gain the ability to expand further, and even establish a thriving society – and lead a new generation that has never known the Earth. Paradox and Haemimont also revealed several details and features of Surviving Mars which players may expect when the game launches. Couch colonists can look forward to ultra-high-definition visuals for their missions, with 4K support offered on both the Xbox One X and PlayStation®4 Pro consoles. For PC players, Surviving Mars will offer community-created modifications with full modding tools and support – including mods available at launch from some of Paradox’s most talented community creators.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

https://wccftech.com/haemimont-surviving-mars-console-mods/

You said that both Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro will have 4K support. However, could you share the full technical specs (native resolution, target frame rate, graphics settings etc.) for each version?

For this kind of game – long vistas, thousands of tiny and frequently moving objects – we decided to prioritize resolution over framerate, so all console versions target 30 fps.
The base consoles run at native 1080p, Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro – at native 4K. The graphics settings are approximately what you’ll get on PC at the “High” preset, with the only exception being Xbox One X, which gets to spend more memory on textures.

While the same textures are authored and shipped at the same resolution for all platforms, higher memory platforms get to stream them via a larger buffer, so in busy situations – say, a late-game colony with varied buildings zoomed up close – the Xbox One X will display higher resolution versions of some. There are no other graphics settings differences between Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro – Surviving Mars is a very CPU-heavy game, and the difference in CPU power between the two is smaller than the difference in GPU power.

Did you consider the possibility to allow select vetted mods on consoles, a bit like Bethesda did with Fallout 4 and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Bringing mods to consoles is definitely something we are interested in and we hope we have some
news on that front in the future.

Bryank75

Banned
Glad this was bumped, didn't see the announcement and PlayStation needs more of this type of game. Currently catching up watching videos, hope launch goes well.

Wow i am so glad that this is being made.I missed these kind of games on consoles played sim city on SNES back in the day love building Typ of games.Will definitely follow this game hope it turns out great.

So we're still stuck in the age where collecting resources means a car drives to a rock and 30sec later the rock disappears? Ok.

What year was The Settlers released when trees were cut down with axes and deer where killed with arrows and fish were caught in lakes? 1993? Oh, 25 years ago...

Some of the shadows are nice though and same with the structures.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

So we're still stuck in the age where collecting resources means a car drives to a rock and 30sec later the rock disappears? Ok.

What year was The Settlers released when trees were cut down with axes and deer where killed with arrows and fish were caught in lakes? 1993? Oh, 25 years ago...

Some of the shadows are nice though and same with the structures.
Dude, didn't you know? In the future, shit just disappears. Elon Musk invented it.

Top Bottom