• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Honest trailer

I kinda agree that this could’ve been better. Rather than making fun of stupid things in Crash, it makes fun of Crash series in general.

This Crash hate looks like sympton of a bigger problem in general. People just hate games WAY too hard.

Admittedly Crash games were not that innovative, but I think they are fun and hold up well, bar 1st game's inconveniences. I can totally see that some people might not think that Crash games are great because of this, but because of so much hate, this will make people just spout that Crash games are fucking awful. Its not limited to Crash series either.

nkarafo

For me, Crash always felt like some kind of graphics demo instead of a proper game. It was too strict for me, even without taking Mario 64 into the equation.

I only played the first game though, so i don't know about the sequels.

The youtube comments are more tragic than usual.

I loved crash when I was younger and I will be getting the remaster. But I see nothing massively inaccurate or offensive in that video. The games aren't classics.

If you want any actual gravitas assigned to the term "classic" I'd suggest people don't go slapping it on every game that gives them tingles in their special nostalgia space.

Look back objectively, study the gameplay, the time it was released. Then if you still want to call it a classic...well good for you! You can put it in with Spyro and all the other average games you loved when you were 5!

SgtCobra

Ok that video went exactly as I expected with the standard stuff like "hurr durr Super Mario 64 was better" and "20 years ago these games would've been OK at best".
The Crash games were simple colorful humoristic platformers which frankly didn't bring that much innovation to the table but didn't need to. They were easy to pick up and the levels were just simply about finishing them, there's nothing complex about these games or their main goal and that's what made them fun for me.
I also played SM64 first before Crash and didn't think it was the life changing masterpiece some think it was, other than gameplay wise it really didn't age better than the Crash games in my opinion.

But I can't really complain about other's opinions about these games though as I also have my own so I'll leave it at that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Exactly.
The remake might be a bit of fun for me now. Nostalgia wise. But back then i just figured people who thought this was soooo good probably didn't have a Nintendo console.

Don't even mention the god-aweful character design.

What a hot take. I owned an N64 and i thought Mario and Crash were both good in their own ways. At the time i wasn't trying to compare them

This kind of talking down some fans have to others for their memories on a pedestal is off putting

daxy

Damn, I thought the Breath of the Wild crowd was sensitive but this is on a whole new level. Video seems... fine?

But then again I also never thought Crash was any good.

Inuhanyou

Damn, I thought the Breath of the Wild crowd was sensitive but this is on a whole new level. Video seems... fine?

How is this anywhere near the level of breath of the wild, people giving Jim sterling DDOSs and death threats for giving BOTW a 7 out of 10, even saying he liked it and enjoyed it.

Here they blatantly say the franchise was never good bar nostalgia and compare it to mario without merit. I think that's a bit more annoying than BOTW dropping a single point on metacritic

Has no one ever seen one of the Honest Trailers before? This is quite quite embarrassing.

Have you? Honest trailers are something i enjoy because they usually say truth, even if its harsh. even things i liked in the past i agreed because they didn't make up anything. They raked KH and 2.8 over hot coals and they were right to do so.

But here, are people supposed to think they are being truthful by saying crash was bad and only nostalgic fanboys care about it?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
How is this anywhere near the level of breath of the wild, people giving Jim sterling DDOSs and death threats for giving BOTW a 7 out of 10, even saying he liked it and enjoyed it.

Here they blatantly say the franchise was never good bar nostalgia and compare it to mario without merit. I think that's a bit more annoying than BOTW dropping a single point on metacritic
You may want to get better perspective if that's how you take things like this.

Hint: The very reason you're up in arms is their MO. Finding what fans are touchy about and hitting it hard. If you can't work out? You really haven't been paying attention to their video series.

Nev

Banned
Look back objectively, study the gameplay, the time it was released. Then if you still want to call it a classic...well good for you! You can put it in with Spyro and all the other average games you loved when you were 5!

What if I genuinely still love them when I replay them to completion every year?

Keep trying.

Has no one ever seen one of the Honest Trailers before? This is quite quite embarrassing.

Have you seen them? This was like a tryhard deviantart user who is trying to copy Honest Trailer and gets it incredibly wrong.

Banzai

There are good games
There are mediocre games
And then there's Crash.

I mean, wow.

I get that you're having fun riling others up, but it made me go through you post history and find this:

You get used to it.

Some of these people honestly can't even imagine that others might have different tastes and preferences. So when someone doesn't care much about the ps4, gods official gift to gamers, along with games like COD, GTA, Red Dead, The Last of Us and Infamous that must mean they're "not really a gamer" or "Not hardcore like me!" or some other similair bullshitery.

Switch around a couple of words and you yourself are describing people hating on Crash.
Alright. I'm out now. I don't usually stoop to these levels.

Inuhanyou

The fact that some of you are so serious in responding to a Honest Trailer jokey video is hilarious.

Sorry, Crash is serious business and i like my honest trailers non hackey.

I usually don't have a problem but this crosses the line, and i can't even say i'm a hardcore fanboy who was even asking for the franchise to come back like a lot of people were

Stop It

I usually don't have a problem but this crosses the line, and i can't even say i'm a hardcore fanboy who was even asking for the franchise to come back like a lot of people were
What line? The line of daring to poke fun at people who are touchy about their favourite series being criticized?

That's their entire focus. If you can't take it, that reflects on you, not them. Seriously.

KyleCross

So, what I'm gathering from this thread is; the Crash games have always been hated by Nintendo fans while everyone else loves them?

Atomski

oh shit this thread...

giphy.gif

Crossing a line? Roflmaocake. Come on.

I get that you're having riling others up, but it made me go through you post history and find this:

Switch around a couple of words and you yourself are describing people hating on Crash.
Alright. I'm out now. I don't usually stoop to these levels.

Ok? I don't see how any of that relates to a couple of short posts I made in jest as a reaction to a 'Honest Trailer' thread but I hope you had fun going through my post history at least.

So, what I'm gathering from this thread is; the Crash games have always been hated by Nintendo fans while everyone else loves them?

Can I like both Sony and Nintendo and still not be particularly thrilled about Crash?

Hektor

nkarafo

The install base of the playstation was nearly thrice as high as the one of the n64, so it's really not that unbelievable, which is probably what rustled some NintendoGAFs Jimmie so hard that they are still mad about it 20 years later

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20110722094946/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps_e.html

Yes but the attach rate of Mario 64 was higher. Pretty much every N64 owner had it. Especially on launch.

According to Wiki, it sold almost 12 million copies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_64_video_games

Edit: Unless he meant all 3 Crash PS1 games sold more combined.

Stop It

Well, maybe Nintendo only fans. Those of us who had both the N64 and PS1 enjoyed both Mario 64 and Crash as they're totally different.

gogogow

i approached crash 1-3 for the first time in 2015. the level design and gameplay really don't hold up for me. i'm sorta interested in how the ps4 version with modern controls might fix things, but you can't really fix 'why would you do this mode' as the honest trailers guy puts it. that stuff only makes sense in the context that 3d was once a new thing and showing a character moving to and from the screen was a new and exciting idea.

and mario 64 basically became the gold standard. i'd say spyro gets a lot right for just doing what nintendo did and putting a different spin on it. to be fair though, i don't think a lot of platformers from that era have held up well, from banjo-kazooie, to crash, to dk64, to spyro. a lot of games were trying to find their footing in 3d space. aside from mario 64, i think only rayman 2 can hold its own today, and even that feels pretty dated in 2017.

After 20 years or so, ND are still puting those modes in their games.....yeah, more like "can't see shit mode". Not sure why they think it's fun. I can understand those modes back in the mid 90's, but in games from the last decade? That's just not fun anymore, it's just frustrating.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Crosses the line...? seriously lol.

Get a grip please, and lighten up a bit.

Sometimes I feel like a freak in this hobby because I can't frickin' stand Mario 64. I don't like the way Mario moves, i don't like the level design, the graphics, the camera, the objectives. I just don't like it at all.

massoluk

Banned
The install base of the playstation was nearly thrice as high as the one of the n64, so it's really not that unbelievable, which is probably what rustled some NintendoGAFs Jimmie so hard that they are still mad about it 20 years later

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20110722094946/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps_e.html
Uhh no that can't be right, unless Crash sold that much more on PSN, it was not as much a hit during N64-PSX days

Inuhanyou

Crossing a line? Roflmaocake. Come on.

Its crossing a line of acceptability for an honest trailer. People are going to complain if they just throw out a false narrative or historical revisionism as opposed to saying factual things and calling it an 'honest trailer'

at that point its a 'hot take trailer' and not an honest one

nkarafo

To me it looks more like Mario 64 raised the standards very high for them, making Crash look very simplistic and an overall inferior game in comparison (to them).

Stop It

Its crossing a line of acceptability for an honest trailer. People are going to complain if they just throw out a false narrative or historical revisionism as opposed to saying factual things and calling it an 'honest trailer'

Oh for fuck sake.

Grow up.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

False Narrative
Historical revisionism
All said about a jokey video about some videogames

I just
I can't
I just can't

Even forgetting 64 vs Ps1 I find it funny that within a playstation only bubble Crash is more beloved than all the other more open platformers that emulated M64 rather than Crash (Spyro, Jak, Ape Escape).

massoluk

Banned

Hey now, did you watch their Switch Trailer? Or any of their trailers ever? Hyperbole is their game, nothing changes here

Inuhanyou

Oh for fuck sake.

Grow up.

False Narrative
Historical revisionism
All said about a jokey video about some videogames

I just
I can't
I just can't

We're on a hardcore video game forum, i dont think growing up is apart of the discussion.

The complaint i'm raising is, they are saying crash was never good. Now that's just plain incorrect.

Hey now, did you watch their Switch Trailer? Or any of their trailers ever? Hyperbole is their game, nothing changes here

I've watched every honest trailer, outside of the switch one, and i havent had a problem until now. So i'd like to think i have a legitimate point to raise

Have you? Honest trailers are something i enjoy because they usually say truth, even if its harsh. even things i liked in the past i agreed because they didn't make up anything. They raked KH and 2.8 over hot coals and they were right to do so.

But here, are people supposed to think they are being truthful by saying crash was bad and only nostalgic fanboys care about it?

They have ripped some of my favourite games to absolute shreds in the past, the difference being I just laughed it off, I really dont think its anything to get up in arms about :)

alexbull_uk

Sometimes I feel like a freak in this hobby because I can't frickin' stand Mario 64. I don't like the way Mario moves, i don't like the level design, the graphics, the camera, the objectives. I just don't like it at all.

Yeah I’m with you on that. I played it ‘in the day’ and I’ve tried again recently and I just cannot enjoy it.

As a technical piece it’s impressive to be fair, but from the point of view of actually playing it, no thanks.

Hektor

Uhh no that can't be right, unless Crash sold that much more on PSN, it was not as much a hit during N64-PSX days

While I don't know about the game's actual sales, it indeed sold a lot on the PSN over the years.

Yes but the attach rate of Mario 64 was higher. Pretty much every N64 owner had it. Especially on launch.

According to Wiki, it sold almost 12 million copies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_64_video_games

Edit: Unless he meant all 3 Crash PS1 games sold more combined.

According to that wikipedia article Mario 64 also was bundled with the console at one point, so that might explain why you had the impression that everyone had it.

We're on a hardcore video game forum, i dont think growing up is apart of the discussion.

What 👺

Stop It

The complaint i'm raising is, they are saying crash was never good. Now that's just plain incorrect.
I find it telling that you haven't even bothered to address my other posts that cover this.

The whole narrative of the video is poking fun at the console wars at the time, especially those from the Nintendo side of things stating that Crash was shit then and is shit now.

You being totally tone deaf and unable to get the subtext here is quite hilarious frankly.

Again, this is their MO, and your post saying "But they're called Honest Trailers" misses the mark so much you hit some poor sod down the local pub and spilled his pint.

Whack video...

Mario is a classic, Crash is still a good series, and it sold millions of units.

No respect given to good work from devs now I guess. And it's hardly funny. Could have gone with a different theme imo for the Jokes, like just what the heck is Crash or something.

daxy

Oh yeah, forgot about part. Agreed.

In that case, do carry on complaining about the merits of this completely serious academic critique of the Crash games.

Even forgetting 64 vs Ps1 I find it funny that within a playstation only bubble Crash is more beloved than all the other more open platformers that emulated M64 rather than Crash (Spyro, Jak, Ape Escape).

I wish we lived in a world where Jak had a none grimdark me-too-GTA sequel.

It's weird. I usually prefer a more linear obstacle course aproach to 3D platforming (3D Land and World are my favourite of the 3D Mario games) but i loved Jak and thought 64 was ok. Crash on the other hand which on paper sounds perfect for me always felt off somehow.
I remember hating those levels where you're running at the camera.

Son, I just cringed

Son, git more hardcore.

Inuhanyou

Son, I just cringed

I'm not exactly sure what point you have to make.

I stated my displeasure with the trailer. I agreed with certain parts, like Mario 64 being much more ambitious as a game, and i disagreed with certain parts, then saying crash was a bad game.

I reserve the right to complain about it and think they were being disingenuous on this one

CloudWolf

I mainly remember Crash Bandicoot for the neat death animations. Interesting that those weren't mentioned in the Honest Trailer.

Stop It

I'm not exactly sure what point you have to make.

I stated my displeasure with the trailer. I agreed with certain parts, like Mario 64 being much more ambitious as a game, and i disagreed with certain parts, then saying crash was a bad game.

I reserve the right to complain about it and think they were being disingenuous on this one
And we reserve the right to call you out for being frankly ridiculous.

Top Bottom