• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scar and Mufasa weren't actually related?!

Oberon

Banned
Yeah, a movie about Zebras and Giraffes kneeling to a new born Lion is concerned about how realistic it is

Ydelnae

Coming up next week: 'The Lion King' is actually a dream by a 5 year old child named Simba that fell into a comma. These are the absolute proofs.

Krakn3Dfx

Didn't Simba refer to Scar as his uncle at some point?

It's been a long time since I've seen The Lion King.

Is this a Mandella Effect thing?

Zomba13

And Timon and Pumba would be eaten by Simba because in the wild a lion cub would never be raised by a warthog and meercat who eat bugs and sing songs all day. Also animals can't talk or sing so really the whole movie is just a big lie and completely inaccurate to real life.

vypek

I thought I had heard a while back that one was adopted and that Scar's original name translated to "trash" or "garbage" or something like that

Maybe that was just some stupid post somewhere

Ratrat

Yeah, whatever. Its NOT a realistic movie. What it in fact is, is a ripoff of Kimba the White Lion and Hamlet.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
To be fair, they look nothing alike. Like about as dissimilar as you can be while still being male lions. The story works either way, Scar is your classic usurper

Linkura

And Timon and Pumba would be eaten by Simba because in the wild a lion cub would never be raised by a warthog and meercat who eat bugs and sing songs all day. Also animals can't talk or sing so really the whole movie is just a big lie and completely inaccurate to real life.

This. The brothers thing is far from the least accurate thing in this movie.

Jesus christ why can't we just fucking enjoy a children's animated movie for what it is.

Eylos

Banned
I remember Simba calling him uncle And Its suposed to be Hamlet story, so its an uncle.

Why they want to retcon this

You know how some people refuse to acknowledge George Lucas' Word of God because of something in Star Wars that they don't like?

That's where I am.

Diabelli

"Scar and Mufasa aren’t related because a real lion pride would never include two related males."

But that's not true?

like....what exactly is the point of this revelation? Other than somewhat cheapening Scar as a villain to a (albeit, slight) degree?

Yeah, whatever. Its NOT a realistic movie. What it in fact is, is a ripoff of Kimba the White Lion and Hamlet.

It's not a ripoff of Hamlet. It's an adaptation, a reworking, a reimagining of Hamlet. "Hamlet but with Lions" is the literal pitch of the movie.

The Kimba thing is BS, there's a few similar pieces of iconography. That's about it.

adj_noun

“[While making the movie] we talked about the fact that it was very likely [Scar and Mufasa] would not have both the same parents,” Hahn said. “The way lions operate in the wild…when the male lion gets old, another rogue lion comes and kills the head of the pride. What that does is it causes the female lions to go into heat [to reproduce], and then the new younger lion kills the king and then he kills all the babies. Now he’s the new lion that’s running the pride.”

"There was always this thing about well, how do you have these two [male] lions?” he continued. “Occasionally there are prides that do have two male lions, in an interesting dynamic because they’re not equals [since they don’t have the same parents]. One lion will always kind of be off in the shadows. We were trying to use those animal truths to underpin the story so we sort of figured Scar and Mufasa couldn’t really be from the same gene pool."

I don't see this as quite the revelation the OMG! SCAR AND MUFASA NOT BROTHERS type article headlines would lead you to believe. They're just saying what their thought process during development was.

Oberon

Banned
Lol yeah this makes no sense. Is this just so Simba's daughter wouldn't be marrying her cousin in the sequel? 🤔

Actually, that Lion wasn't Scars son. I think they say something like "he's not even scars son" at some point in the movie.
Actually, do we even see other male Lions in any of those movies?

Jmille99

Didn't Simba refer to Scar as his uncle at some point?

Yes, i believe its the scene where he runs up and brags about how he is going to be king before Scar tells him about the elephant graveyard.

This is so dumb. Part of what made Scar a better villain was killing his brother and trying to kill his nephew. Removing that also lessens the impact of it all.

Skilletor

I never read this.

Yep. This didn't happen.

9zI5L1b

adj_noun

This is dumb why even bother saying this years later.

They're promoting the DVD/blu-ray re-release and presumably wanted something fresh to give in interviews.

Article writers then spun clickbait gold out of relatively benign straw.

They are doing a press tour for a Bluray release? I thought this was already released on bluray?

It's getting released again. Got a live action movie to look ahead to.

Top Bottom