• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity 2: GAF ISLAND [100% Funded]

Brokun

Noth Ehr Octas, Great Archipelago of Flame

Unfortunately a single island can't be called an archipelago.

Enclave of the Goose and Fox

...I'll workshop this.

Mik2121

Amazing that this got funded so fast near the end, haha! Incredible support from everyone.

Looking forward to learning the name of the island, and what it might involve, not in actual story but in content overall (x amount of quests, x number of NPCs, etc..).

For those who wanted a graph, here's a lazy version of it.

I9TRnf5.png

Grats on getting this funded. There has to be a shipwreck on the island, with a village nearby with a strange affliction of lycanthropy.

I wonder where I got that idea from ;)

Oswen

Congratulations! Nice to see GAF being represented again.

Goose and Fox inn was nice, I loved the npcs lines in there about the place being full of philosophers and the like and Bishop with his hammer of course.

I'm sure we'll have some nice subtle references on the island again, l could see something silly like a local pirate code based on honor and shame.

Can't wait to explore it next year!

Vengal

Noth Ehr Octas, Great Archipelago of Flame

Unfortunately a single island can't be called an archipelago.

Enclave of the Goose and Fox

...I'll workshop this.

Could make it the NeoGAF symbol but half of it is a freshwater lake. The parameter of that lake which is touching the ocean being a rockshelf separating the ocean from the lake. That rokcshelf could have large jutting lavastone rocks giving the appearance of an archipelago.

The Wart

Could make it the NeoGAF symbol but half of it is a freshwater lake. The parameter of that lake which is touching the ocean being a rockshelf separating the ocean from the lake. That rokcshelf could have large jutting lavastone rocks giving the appearance of an archipelago.

Or there could be a jagged fissure vent running through the middle of the island, and half the island is covered with basalt. That wouldn't help with the archipelago part though. But I feel like they are not going to want to put something called an archipelago inside the Deadfire archipelago, it could just get confusing.

Perhaps the "F" could be fissure and the G and A could be the initials of the person who discovered it? Guianno Ala-something-or-other from the Vailian republics or something.

Or there could be a jagged fissure vent running through the middle of the island, and half the island is covered with basalt. That wouldn't help with the archipelago part though. But I feel like they are not going to want to put something called an archipelago inside the Deadfire archipelago, it could just get confusing.

Perhaps the "F" could be fissure and the G and A could be the initials of the person who discovered it? Guianno Ala-something-or-other from the Vailian republics or something.

I think this is getting a bit too deep into the "it needs to be the GAF symbol" woods.

Altazor

An idea for a name - in keeping with the polineasian theme of the game, I looked at some rapa nui (Easter Island) and maori words and came up with a name that uses "G" "A" and "F":

Garauhiva 'Atua Fare, which very roughly means "House of the Two-Faced God"
as in Gaming and OT

Now, there are no words in rapa nui and maori that actually start with "G" or "F" (so the actual words are ngarauhiva and whare) but considering it's a fictional setting with fictional languages, I don't think it's that big of a deal... though maybe some Kiwi GAFfers will disagree with that :p

Any opinions?

An idea for a name - in keeping with the polineasian theme of the game, I looked at some rapa nui (Easter Island) and maori words and came up with a name that uses "G" "A" and "F":

Garauhiva 'Atua Fare, which very roughly means "House of the Two-Faced God"
as in Gaming and OT

Now, there are no words in rapa nui and maori that actually start with "G" or "F" (so the actual words are ngarauhiva and whare) but considering it's a fictional setting with fictional languages, I don't think it's that big of a deal... though maybe some Kiwi GAFfers will disagree with that :p

Any opinions?

Sawyer's been working on the Huana language, hasn't he? I bet when they start talking to Shao Kahn about the island, we could ask for a little help on the language front.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
While I did try to think of names that convey GAF in the island's name early on, I still like Grief and Felicity a lot but for use in another way, but I have since moved on from wanting that though. It was great and worked well for the Goose and Fox, but I get the feeling here it will be more ham-fisted than a clever nod.

I'd rather we work GAF into it in some other way that is more appropriate and less apparent. And or work into it things unique to GAF like Space Moors. Have some crazy old cook on the island spouting off all sort of nonsense based on some of the more famous threads from over the years. Maybe work GAF acronym into a quest title or set of weapons or equipment found on the island.

Is the island going to have more things to it compared to the inn?

You'd think, but seeing as they cost the same that would be kind of shitty. We'll have to wait and see what the exact choices Obsidian will let us choose.

While I did try to think of names that convey GAF in the island's name early on, I still like Grief and Felicity a lot but for use in another way, but I have since moved on from wanting that though. It was great and worked well for the Goose and Fox, but I get the feeling here it will be more ham-fisted than a clever nod.

I'd rather we work GAF into it in some other way that is more appropriate and less apparent. And or work into it things unique to GAF like Space Moors. Have some crazy old cook on the island spouting off all sort of nonsense based on some of the more famous threads from over the years. Maybe work GAF acronym into a quest title or set of weapons or equipment found on the island.

You'd think, but seeing as they cost the same that would be kind of shitty. We'll have to wait and see what the exact choices Obsidian will let us choose.

I'd be down for Crazy Old Gaf-Memes Man. Italian Food, Honor and Shame... there's a lot of potential there.

Do you think we could get away with him laying out the Terrorist's Law, though?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'd be down for Crazy Old Gaf-Memes Man. Italian Food, Honor and Shame... there's a lot of potential there.

Do you think we could get away with him laying out the Terrorist's Law, though?

I would demand a refund if they didn't.

He could be on the island because his community banished him for fucking some animal he claims he did so to save people from a notorious pirate crew, that no one ever heard of, let alone were captives of.

Edit: Actually we could have it so there is supposed to be this really wise and sage old man who lives up high in the most remote section of the island. When you land there locals speak of him, but none have ever made it far enough to meet him. So you have to go through this island fighting really tough enemies and shit but then when you get there it's this crazy old fucker who you can talk to who just disagrees with you on everything most likely resulting in combat.

Or, it could just be an island inhabited by numerous crazy old men spouting off various crazy stories and beliefs based on GAF threads. They were all abandoned there for being insane or just plane assholes, but after so many generations everyone who remembered why they were their died and people forgot the island was for insane old gits and instead the memory of it turned into a legend of this remote island where the most esteemed and wizened men lived. So players go off thinking they'll find this place of wisdom and knowledge and instead they find an island with cranky old men spouting nonsense. With weird conversations you have to navigate, some you can and some you can't and result in a big fight.

shandy706

I'm just curious if we'll be able to create or at least name some consumables on the island? Fingers crossed that will be an option.

What if the "A" stood for "Atoll"?

to quote myself!

In terms of names it depends on how subtle we want to be I assume something like Tortugaf is not subtle enough?

It is actually quite tough to come up with names for the island with the GAF style I can only think of:

Golden Atoll of Fortune
Greedy Atoll of Fear

but that's an atoll.... don't know if that's allowed?

Or maybe something simple like

Gold and Fear island?
Gold and Fortune island?

*shrug*

JSR_Cube

As we're just brainstorming here, I like the idea of Gloom and Famine.

It could be a ruined island that tells a story of how the island failed in some way..

Hello everyone!

It's been a while, isn't it? Just a brief update; Obsidian got in touch with me, and I responded promptly. I will be creating a new thread soon (today or tomorrow) to discuss the collaborative creation of the Island.

Also, anyone who hasn't received Pixeljunk Games, or other rewards that you donated for, please contact me! :)

Anno

Hello everyone!

It's been a while, isn't it? Just a brief update; Obsidian got in touch with me, and I responded promptly. I will be creating a new thread soon (today or tomorrow) to discuss the collaborative creation of the Island.

Nice! Hopefully that means the other backer created stuff goes out soon as well.

I forgot to make the new thread. Ahhh! I'm driving for the next 4 hours. I'll start soon and make it all fancy.

Oh and I've been added to a chain of emails and I'm stressing out from the responsibility (and seeing the names of all the great developer's working there CC-ed to me). However, I'mma do it right!

I forgot to make the new thread. Ahhh! I'm driving for the next 4 hours. I'll start soon and make it all fancy.

Oh and I've been added to a chain of emails and I'm stressing out from the responsibility (and seeing the names of all the great developer's working there CC-ed to me). However, I'mma do it right!

What, is it coming out? What's goin' on?

(behind the times)

What, is it coming out? What's goin' on?

(behind the times)

So I've been receiving emails from Obsidian and I've been briefing them on how the GAF community is fully involved with this.

I gave them a brief idea on what we are upto, and they are quite excited to work together on this.

I've been too distracted to make a new thread. I apologise and will get on it ASAP tonight.

Lister

Banned
And don't fret man. You've done a lot. Dont' take it all on your shoulders/. We're here to help, reach out if you need anything, I'm sure many fo us would be ready and willing.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Fuck yes, I was wondering just last week about this, check the threads to see if I missed anything.

Anno

So any movement on this? I don't really know what our deadline looks like but if they want to be content complete in two months I would assume we need to get working soon.

Top Bottom