• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

Jomjom

Banned
Did Nintendo actually want to put in region locking or was it pressure from publishers?
Or maybe it was a by-product of having only one eShop store per region?

Seeing as how the PS3 has more third party support and therefore more publishers, logic would suggest that they would have more pressure, if such pressure actually existed. Yet the PS3 is still not region locked. This is just Nintendo being Nintendo.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have a DS flash card somewhere. It got plenty of use, but the truth is I buy lots of DS games and it feels wrong not playing them. So it acted more as a "demo" device and a decent NES emulator. My friends? Yeah, they were done buying DS software forever :(

How, if not via priacy, can the flash card act as a demo device?

DonMigs85

Seeing as how the PS3 has more third party support and therefore more publishers, logic would suggest that they would have more pressure, if such pressure actually existed. Yet the PS3 is still not region locked. This is just Nintendo being Nintendo.

Persona 4 Arena is the sole region locked game on PS3, but I'm still not sure what the logic was behind that.

I remember that Ouendan imports were also a factor in deciding to create Elite Beat Agents.

Yes, they actually were.
Ouendan was such a big hit with importers that Nintendo ordered iNiS to create Elite Beat Agents specifically with western markets in mind (which also sold quite well, if I remember correctly).
That Nintendo didn'T learn from that I do not know.

I mean, even games like Jump Super Stars (and its sequel) were major import hits, just because the DS was totally region free. Why do you make it so hard for us, Nintendo? Why can't we just give you our money so we can just have the fun we want? :(

Even if it is a pressure from publishers, there is no reliable data to say region locking your games improves their sales in a specific region - importers are by definition not casual gamers. They will import maybe 500-1000 copies at most.

Also, those are not lost sales, are sales from other regions.

For example, Dark Souls probably wouldn't exist (at least on west) without region free.

Demon's Souls was a game that was not scheduled to be launched on west, but a lot of people start buying Demon's Souls Asia version (that was in english), and a lot of people (and game pages) started talking about Demon's Souls when the game was not available on west, and people start getting hyped about it.

7h1ag0

From NeiMod Flickr

8298047143_fc68620795_c.jpg

PC host communication program

PC program that waits for incoming data from the 3DS.

This is with an unmodified 3DS, no hardware modifications except for the gamecard that exposes the SPI savechip pins.

RoyalFool

Banned
Has any company ever officially removed a region lock on existing hardware via a patch? When the 3DS first came out I toyed with trying to get it to execute demos from other stores and found that both the hardware and the software checks the region - so even if they patched the machine firmware to allow the games to show-up on the dashboard, existing games would still refuse to boot and fall back with an error upon start-up. I guess they could have some kind of region switch in the settings but from a usability perspective that would be a nightmare to explain to casual gamers.

While I'd have no moral problem with hacking a machine to get around this, my other pet-hate is the demo limit - I'm not sure morally if I'd be happy removing that or not, it sucks but I kind of feel the publishers do have a right to incorporate it since it saves them having to make crippled content especially for the demo.

Rich!

If this means that in the future I can back up my carts to SD using homebrew, then that will be awesome.

Carrying 20+ carts around in a case that can be easily lost isn't the best way to do things.

I had a strange dream were Nintendo announced an EX version of Jump Super/Ultimate Stars for 3DS and said this is just the first step before the sequel. It was so weird considering I've never actually played the games.

Also, those are not lost sales, are sales from other regions.

For example, Dark Souls probably wouldn't exist (at least on west) without region free.

Demon's Souls was a game that was not scheduled to be launched on west, but a lot of people start buying Demon's Souls Asia version (that was in english), and a lot of people (and game pages) started talking about Demon's Souls when the game was not available on west, and people start getting hyped about it.

Not to derail this thread, but I don't think what you're posting is true. I remember press events that had demons souls at them in English from eons ago. If I recall correctly the importers brought the hype, but the game was coming regardless.

Is it actually physically possible for Nintendo to say "Oh, fuck it" and just release a firmware that makes all 3DS's region free? Or is too late for sense?

Berg

Is it actually physically possible for Nintendo to say "Oh, fuck it" and just release a firmware that makes all 3DS's region free? Or is too late for sense?

Why would that be in there best interest? Do you know all the reasons they region lock? Or is it confirmed they region lock just to piss people off?

Would this make it so I could import a better color 3ds XL and play US games on it? That's all I want. I just want a white or silver, or someday a black 3ds XL. I've been waiting for new colors for forever it seems.

iceatcs

I don't think that will change the hacker mind.
But yeah it is possible since region lock is came from software not physical hardware.

M3d10n

So, these are still the first phases, no?
Yes, but they don't guarantee the next phases can be reached. It took quite a while for them to come with flahshcards could load DSi ROMs and those weren't encrypted at all. I don't think a user-mode hack will be able to load 3DS roms.

onken

Physically? Of course. It could never happen though because they would probably be breaking all kinds of agreements with dozens of different publishers. Also Nintendo lol

Why would that be in there best interest? Do you know all the reasons they region lock? Or is it confirmed they region lock just to piss people off?

Region locks are confirmed to serve no purpose whatsoever, except obscure licence agreements where licence holder behaves like the customers are still living in Middle Ages not travelling anywhere outside their own country.

Really, it's that simple - Nintendo is not made of geniuses. If GAF cannot come up with convincing argument for region lock, big chance Nintendo cannot either. That doesn't stop they from region locking their devices, and me from buying them as long as they are not region free.

Infinite

Region locks are confirmed to serve no purpose whatsoever, except obscure licence agreements where licence holder behaves like the customers are still living in Middle Ages not travelling anywhere outside their own country.

Really, it's that simple - Nintendo is not made of geniuses. If GAF cannot come up with convincing argument for region lock, big chance Nintendo cannot either. That doesn't stop they from region locking their devices, and me from buying them as long as they are not region free.

It's about money.

I hope this is legit btw I hate region locking especially since this console has a bunch of games not coming here that are awesome.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even if they did tomorrow... Would that stop the hackers? Doubt it.
Yeah, the only way to stop the hackers would be to put GBA games on the eShop. Thats all anyone really wants beyond region unlocking. But again, I doubt Nintendo would do such a noble thing.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Always count on CK to make a self-nullifying argument.

You're buying nintendo products as long as they're not region free? Are you sure you said what you meant to say there?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Region lock gets hacked away, I get a 3DS. That simple.

Glad to see the first steps of the journey have begun.

People get upset when Nintendo doesn't do enough to make publishers happy. Then people get upset when Nintendo DOES do things to make publishers happy. No win situation.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Why would GAF come up with an argument for region locking?

Not to derail this thread, but I don't think what you're posting is true. I remember press events that had demons souls at them in English from eons ago. If I recall correctly the importers brought the hype, but the game was coming regardless.

must've missed these press events you're remembering (links?). are you talking pre- 'sony dropping out as publisher?' all i remember is checking out videos, loving what i was seeing, hearing nothing about localization & being pretty sure that the game'd never make it here, & therefore importing the chinese version...

androvsky

Demon's Souls was always in English. iirc From wanted English voice acting for that authentic western RPG feel, so they asked SCEE to find a dub cast that would sound right. And man, did they ever. English text was a relatively minor additional step that I think was added for the Asian release (Hong Kong has a fair number of English speakers, iirc), and possibly for what was assumed to be the Western release by SCEA and SCEE. Except they both turned it down. When Atlus picked it up, they fixed several errors in the original translation text (irc, it was one of their selling points for people that had the import).

Berg

So you bolded my quote because that's why they region lock...just to piss people off? Hmm doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom