• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Crucial M4 256GB $180 @ NEWEGG

Na he's never followed it up like he said he would.

I know you can only trust benchmarks so far but for the same money the 6300 competes well enough (bar power use) with the 3220

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=677

and it performs well in online multi

and you can of course OC it, but power consumption again rockets up.
FPS data! Shame!

skyrim-99th.gif

Not only that, but then once you are on 1155, you can upgrade to a 2500K/3570K later. There's nowhere to go on AM3+.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Here are the pictures; there's no brand, no manufacturer, just stickers saying that it checked out on the tests they ran on it before selling it to me:

EDIT: Sorry for the odd pictures, I'm not used to taking photos on my phone.

Be VERY careful about some of those PSU's. There are some blacklisted which will die and likely take your precious and expensive components with it. Never skimp on a PSU. I never learned the hard way but have always been advised and continue to advise not trying to cut corners on a PSU.

Come on Mountkenyon, where be the 3930k in them comparisons?!??!

kharma45

FPS data! Shame!

Not only that, but then once you are on 1155, you can upgrade to a 2500K/3570K later. There's nowhere to go on AM3+.

There is always Steamroller, it could be good, right? :p
I know it won't be, it'll just match Sandy Bridge in all likelihood.

I really must bookmark those latency figures, will come in handy no doubt down the line.

kpjolee

Here are the pictures; there's no brand, no manufacturer, just stickers saying that it checked out on the tests they ran on it before selling it to me:

WP_000018.jpg

WP_000021.jpg

WP_000022.jpg

WP_000017.jpg

WP_000023.jpg

Oh please no..PSU is very very(x100) important. Never try to save money on some no-name PSU.

dude send that shit back if you can ASAP since a iffy PSU can fuck up your entire day.

Now you have to get a new PSU (check the ones in the OP since they are chosen for a reason) and hope that one didn't fuck up anything...

kharma45

There's nothing but good PSUs in the spreadsheets.

I hope folks understand that the choices in there aren't arbitrary :p

Yeah the OP is quality stuff but even still you'll get people who don't know the importance of getting a good one and why it is important.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nice review! I have been thinking about buying this card but will hold off since I already have an xfi card.

Thank you, that would indeed by my recommendation until the support on the card has had time to mature. Check it out again in maybe 3 months.

EMT0

Banned
Eh, I got the PC in June and Cyberpower is absolutely horrid with the amount of time it takes for them to do anything, which is why I manned up and built my brother's PC myself. Knowing them, they'd probably ask me to send the whole PC back to them in order to get a replacement.

PSU listed in the OP it is, thank you PCGaf.

kharma45

Eh, I got the PC in June and Cyberpower is absolutely horrid with the amount of time it takes for them to do anything, which is why I manned up and built my brother's PC myself. Knowing them, they'd probably ask me to send the whole PC back to them in order to get a replacement.

PSU listed in the OP it is, thank you PCGaf.

Those are just some options, they don't take into account different deals.

Where are you and what's your budget? UK I guess if you're dealing with CyberPower?

First parts of my new PC arrived today.

Can't wait to put it all together, it's been about 10 years since I last did built a PC myself.

The mainboard came without any screws. Is this normal? Will they be included with the case?

img_1090umsch.jpg

EMT0

Banned
Those are just some options, they don't take into account different deals.

Where are you and what's your budget? UK I guess if you're dealing with CyberPower?

US actually, the shipping address I got my PC from was based in LA, IIRC. My budget would be a ceiling of 70$ or so, but I can be persuaded to raise it with enough reason.

1-D_FTW

NoRéN;46852058 said:
If I upgrade my CPU, I'll probably have to call microsoft to help reactivate my windows 7 OS, aren't I?

No. If that's all you're changing, a CPU swap only counts for 1 point I believe. It's not enough to trigger a reset unless you swap out the mobo (which is weighted to trigger a reset all by itself).

kharma45

I browse GAF almost exclusively with the subscriptions folder.

90% of my GAF time too tbh.

US actually, the shipping address I got my PC from was based in LA, IIRC. My budget would be a ceiling of 70$ or so, but I can be persuaded to raise it with enough reason.

For that price range you can get this Corsair for $70 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

Or this lower powered one (which would still be fine) is a bit cheaper but it's an older model from what I can tell

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

There's the Antec BP550 Plus too if you want modularity http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016&Tpk=antec bp550

Last suggestion is this Seasonic G 550 but it's over budget however it's a Gold rated modular unit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119&Tpk=seasonic g 550

EMT0

Banned
90% of my GAF time too tbh.

For that price range you can get this Corsair for $70 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

Or this lower powered one (which would still be fine) is a bit cheaper but it's an older model from what I can tell

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

There's the Antec BP550 Plus too if you want modularity http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016&Tpk=antec bp550

Last suggestion is this Seasonic G 550 but it's over budget however it's a Gold rated modular unit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119&Tpk=seasonic g 550

Dang, that's some fast data gathering. Thanks a bunch! I think I'ma go with either the Antec BP550 or the CMPSU-650TX 650W. I'm still undecided, but this answers everything I needed :)

EDIT: Why is the Antec so much cheaper, relative to the other ones?

kharma45

Dang, that's some fast data gathering. Thanks a bunch! I think I'ma go with either the Antec BP550 or the CMPSU-650TX 650W. I'm still undecided, but this answers everything I needed :)

I'd push towards the 750w Corsair purely because it's a newer revision of it, but you'll still not end up with a bad unit in the 650w by any stretch.

hwalker84

After today I will never give my money to Newegg again. Buyers beware this company has some of the worst customer service known to man. They'll RMA the item and then turn around and say you did it.

Now instead of giving me my money back as they originally stated they want to give me credit minus a restocking fee. I will not accept that. I opened the box looked at the motherboard called for an RMA and sent the item back the next day. No install. Nothing. Fuck them!!

Bleeether

After today I will never give my money to Newegg again. Buyers beware this company has some of the worst customer service known to man. They'll RMA the item and then turn around and say you did it.

Now instead of giving me my money back as they originally stated they want to give me credit minus a restocking fee. I will not accept that. I opened the box looked at the motherboard called for an RMA and sent the item back the next day. No install. Nothing. Fuck them!!

Man, i am sorry to hear that. I hope it gets sorted out, i would be upset as well.

I have had very good customer service with them. I ordered my benq xl2420t from them which turned out to have a dead pixel dead center of screen. They approved my RMA (defective item) same day no questions asked. I had a brand new one exactly 2 days later at my door no extra charges.

This is very unfortunate. I've RMA'd several items, as well as friends I know, without a problem. I sure hope you get this resolved, and also hope they don't continue to run their business like this.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
First parts of my new PC arrived today.

Can't wait to put it all together, it's been about 10 years since I last did built a PC myself.

The mainboard came without any screws. Is this normal? Will they be included with the case?

img_1090umsch.jpg

We have the exact same build going with exception to your psu and ssd. Looks like you got the 840 series also. I took mine back after reading more about the TLC process it uses. What video card are you going with?

Myself I just purchased this 7950.
tpUVo9f.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003

To answer your question screws came with my last case purchase. Not sure if it's the same for all.

NoRéN

Good to know. It's hard for me to want to do business with another company when amazon's around. Their no-hassle returns policy is phenomenal.

Amazon, people. Amazon!

Pagusas

Elden Member

can you give some of us who havnt seen your other struggles some background? Why did you return 2 motherboards? How did you know it was defective right out of the box?

darthbob

How do you really feel?

We have the exact same build going with exception to your psu and ssd. Looks like you got the 840 series also. I took mine back after reading more about the TLC process it uses. What video card are you going with?

Myself I just purchased this 7950.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003

To answer your question screws came with my last case purchase. Not sure if it's the same for all.

Yeah I read about TLC, but in the Anandtech review it comes off quite good, and it's a lot less expensive. So i thought wth, let's give it a shot.

I'm not sure yet what graphics card I will go with, maybe a GTX 670.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd try going up to the next tier of customer service, because it sounds like you got someone on a bad day. Customer service can often come down to a single person in a larger group who just wants to be an asshole for a day.

FWIW, every time I've had to deal with their service department, I've had nothing but good results, often at their own expense.

There's a lot that they go out on a limb to stock that would otherwise not be picked up by places such as Amazon. That alone is a pretty good reason to support them. Same with companies like Frozen CPU or Performance PC's.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I saw a deal on a EVGA GTX 560 2GB for about $125. I know it would be somewhat bottlenecked by the E8400 CPU I'm using, but would it be sufficiently much of an upgrade over my current GTX 260 to warrant that price? I wouldn't say I'm much of a high end gamer, but I would like to make Skyrim and such look a bit better.

mkenyon

Banned
CPU/GPU bottlenecks aren't a hard and fast thing, and will differ between games.

It won't be a huge upgrade for your Skyrim performance, but you will see improvements. Skyrim likes very speedy cores on a CPU for consistent performance.

Bleeether

Anyone here own a Noppoo Choc mini 84 mx reds?

Just wondering if it's normal to have to press Fn+Num everytime i boot my computer to disable the numlocks? It's a little tacky having to press it everytime i boot :(

GHG

Thoughts on this build so far?

Cooler Master HAF XB RC-902XB-KKN1 ATX Computer Case Black
or
Bitfenix Raider Steel Black $40 cheaper but less access\mobility

Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
MSI Z77 Mpower ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 SATA3 DVI HDMI VGA SLI USB3.0 Motherboard

Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB
Western Digital Green 2TB SATA3 6GB/S Intellipower 64MB Cache

Up in the air about the PS, would like something modular around $70
My non-modular pick Corsair Gaming Series CMPSU-700G GS700

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Going to hold off on a Videocard and pop in my current 6950 ... for now

Currently sitting at $850, would like to keep it around $1000 max

If you don't mind the form factor, definitely go with the HAF XB. It looks awesome (IMO) and keeps everything very very cool. Tons of airflow. You may want to replace the front fans though as they may be a bit noisy for some. Get it up and running 1st then make a call on it as you may find it fine.

20130101_135025ytjaf.jpg

Just a quick question on upgrading a component. I'm starting to work again and I'm starting to do some game video content. I want to know if it's worth trying to upgrade anything in my system before I earmark money for a new pc. I built this pc a couple of years ago on the cheap as an emergency measure.

Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L
Processor: Core 2 Duo E7500
Ram: 4GB DDR2 800
Graphics: GTS450

Currently only outputting at 1360X768.

I can run Skyrim at an acceptable framerate, but Deus Ex Human Revolution's framerate dips way too low for my tastes. I'm trying to make it last until the end of the year when I plan on getting a new monitor and can budget for $1000 in components.

I was thinking of getting either 4 more gigs of DDR2 800, or 4 Gigs of DDR2 1066. Which would be the better buy? Is it even worth it?

kharma45

Just a quick question on upgrading a component. I'm starting to work again and I'm starting to do some game video content. I want to know if it's worth trying to upgrade anything in my system before I earmark money for a new pc. I built this pc a couple of years ago on the cheap as an emergency measure.

Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L
Processor: Core 2 Duo E7500
Ram: 4GB DDR2 800
Graphics: GTS450

Currently only outputting at 1360X768.

I was thinking of getting either 4 more gigs of DDR2 800, or 4 Gigs of DDR2 1066. I can run Skyrim at an acceptable framerate, but Deus Ex Human Revolution's framerate dips way too low for my tastes. Is it even worth it to put money into this box? I'm trying to make it last until the end of the year when I plan on getting a new monitor and can budget for $1000 in components.

I'd get a third party cooler if you don't have one already and OC your CPU (you could also then use this on your new PC).

DDR2 RAM is quite pricey now, but if you're doing video content you will likely need more. Don't spend too much, best off saving for a new rig.

MysticX

I am currently using a: Gigabyte MA770T-UD3 and am wondering if there is any way to use 2 sata ports in RAID 0, while others in IDE mode?

Just wanna make sure, because BIOS says SATA 4+5 I think in RAID mode, so can I use the other ports as SATA IDE?

Or do I HAVE to buy a SATA PCI RAID 0 controller?

Only asking caus I´ve got 2 1TB disks I wanna put into RAID 0 instead of currently 2+2TB since max size of RAID 0 is 2.2TB, then I can use them in IDE mode instead.

Thx Gaffers.

hwalker84

can you give some of us who havnt seen your other struggles some background? Why did you return 2 motherboards? How did you know it was defective right out of the box?

I'll try and make this brief.

Background: To say I know my way around a computer would be a vast understatement. I'm a Sr. Systems Engineer for a very well know individual on Wall Street.

I purchased an Asus Sabertooth x79 late December. My processor came later so I was unable to build my PC until early January. When I got everything up and running I noticed the bios only saw 24GB of RAM instead of the 32GB I had installed. It seems this isn't that uncommon with Asus. I called Newegg and asked what are my options.

To incur the least amount of downtime I was instructed to purchase a second mobo and then send back the first when you've verified everything is fine and receive a full refund.

When I received the second Mobo I noticed instantly a cluster of bent pins on the CPU socket. No attempt to install any components was ever done by me.

I called Newegg that night and they created a second RMA and I shipped the second motherboard back the next day.

Now I'm fighting to receive a full refund as they are blaming me for the damage.

So this is a build I have been working on and I'm at a loss for choosing the correct motherboard. Some of these are placeholders (specifically the brand of memory, storage, sound card, case, and PSU). But the important things are there: GPU and CPU. My goals are to possibly overclock in the future (not important now). There is a very (very) slight chance I may SLI in the future if my performance slows. But at that point I would probably be better off buying a new GPU. So what do you guys recommend for a mobo? Or more specifically, which features? I'm still trying to learn and the motherboard area confuses me.

Edit: If I get a motherboard that is fairly common and known for ease of overclocking, I may do that from the start. I have read about brands that are easier to OC (I think gigabyte). I've had a bad experience with my current PC and trying to overclock (read 10 or so hours and no success with a stable build). I must not be very good at it.

This will primarily be a gaming computer, hence the GHz 7970 GPU.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL Enhance CORSA 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($117.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($26.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1387.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 15:32 EST-0500)

kharma45

So this is a build I have been working on and I'm at a loss for choosing the correct motherboard. Some of these are placeholders (specifically the brand of memory, storage, sound card, case, and PSU). But the important things are there: GPU and CPU. My goals are to possibly overclock in the future (not important now). There is a very (very) slight chance I may SLI in the future if my performance slows. But at that point I would probably be better off buying a new GPU. So what do you guys recommend for a mobo? Or more specifically, which features? I'm still trying to learn and the motherboard area confuses me.

Edit: If I get a motherboard that is fairly common and known for ease of overclocking, I may do that from the start. I have read about brands that are easier to OC (I think gigabyte). I've had a bad experience with my current PC and trying to overclock (read 10 or so hours and no success with a stable build). I must not be very good at it.

This will primarily be a gaming computer, hence the GHz 7970 GPU.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL Enhance CORSA 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($117.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($26.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1387.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 15:32 EST-0500)

I may be going mad but that price for your 7970 seems odd when this one is $400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413 Don't understand what Newegg are at, same for Amazon.

What are you needing 16GB of RAM for?

I'm looking to buy a new SSD to replace my old Crucial SSD. Between Samsung 840 Pro or OCZ Vector?

I'd go 840 Pro.

I may be going mad but that price for your 7970 seems odd when this one is $400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413 Don't understand what Newegg are at, same for Amazon.

What are you needing 16GB of RAM for?

They're two different cards:
7970 GIGABYTE GV-R797OC-3GD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413
Core clock: 1000mhz
Effective memory clock: 1375 mhz

7970 GV-R797TO-3GD GHz edition (factory overclocked)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Core clock: 1100mhz
Effective memory clock: 1500 mhz

I will probably drop that to high quality 8gb 1600

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
CPU/GPU bottlenecks aren't a hard and fast thing, and will differ between games.

It won't be a huge upgrade for your Skyrim performance, but you will see improvements. Skyrim likes very speedy cores on a CPU for consistent performance.

I do recall someone selling a HD6950 in the B/S/T thread here for about $130. It seems like the sites I've seen comparing them have them pretty even, but does anyone here have firsthand experience in why one might be better than the other? I've not used a Radeon card in years.

kharma45

They're two different cards:
7970 GIGABYTE GV-R797OC-3GD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413
Core clock: 1000mhz
Effective memory clock: 1375 mhz

7970 GV-R797TO-3GD GHz edition (factory overclocked)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Core clock: 1100mhz
Effective memory clock: 1500 mhz

I will probably drop that to high quality 8gb 1600

Save the $40 then and just OC it yourself.

And yeah go for 8GB of the Samsung RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom