• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo are banning hacked 3DS's from going online

If people are dumb enough to download 3rd party firmware, then they deserve this. It's like they try to forget they ever agreed to a terms of agreement.

"Why am I being punished for breaking the rules!? Fuck you Nintendo!"

Funny just how many scummy and salty people it's bringing out of the woodworks.

Also relevant as I got a laugh:

ubakd0b4mvzy.png

Audioboxer

Disable SpotPass in the system settings. Also I recommend you to stay offline while using "unauthorized softwares" (such as FBI)

Also, download this and clear your activity history (nothing illegal)

https://github.com/Ryuzaki-MrL/CacheTool/releases/tag/1.3.1

Cthulhu is a homebrew application for managing play time history, step history and cached icon data. The goal of this app is to provide an open-source alternative to some of the 3DS Development Unit Software, alongside with extra features.

Probably a good chance running something like FBI gets picked up by Nintendo from the stored activity logs.

So even the region free hack will do this? Homebrew that improves the system should not be banned imo....

Anything to do with CFW it seems. Running things region free are probably a huge giveaway themselves. Even if it's legit, the game shouldn't be able to start as per Nintendo's region locks. Therefore Nintendo knows you are modifying the system.

NeOak

This will suck for me purely because of Animal Crossing.

Are people banned on 11.3 or 11.4 or does it not matter?

Is there tunneling software to use wireless over WiFi?

No.

I have a hacked 3DS, not sure if I am banned or not I haven't even turned it on in like 2 months, still running firmware 11.2. That said, I've never actually played a single game online so doesn't really seem to be a big issue for me. I guess I let it get streetpass stuff for mario, zelda, etc but none of it ever seemed vital.

Now if my PS4 or xbox one or PC ever got banned I'd be in a world of hurt, since like 50%+ of my gaming time on TV is spent on multiplayer games online. If I ever buy a switch not sure what the mix would be, I'd definitely want some mario kart action but other stuff like mario, botw, donkey kong, etc are pretty much SP offline experiences for me.

I wonder if they were using the activity log and how legal that is.

Very likely covered in the TOS anyway.

Erheller

Haven't been checking elsewhere, but I don't think anyone in this thread has been particularly salty. Most of the people here (me included) are well aware that Nintendo has always been able to do this, but never really acted on it.

I don't think I've been banned since I can still access the friends list, but I'm still on 11.2 and don't play online games so even if I do get banned I don't really care.

Fewr

I'd been a lot more upset if it were an NNID ban.
Oh right.
All systems are linked to 1 and only 1 account. They'd get a lot of criticism (lost purchases, etc), but they could definitely do this.

How do you check? I only have two games and neither is online multiplayer.
I don't have a modded 3DS, but from the pictures in the OP you can just tap on the smiley face that shows your friendlist to know.

Audioboxer

How do you check? I only have two games and neither is online multiplayer.

Try loading the friends list app and it should give the restricted error.

Anecdotal evidence online says people who haven't used their 3DS in months have picked up bans. Imagine you bought a factory formatted 2nd hand 3DS on Ebay recently and just get randomly banned, gulp. I'm going to assume Nintendo won't care and will just say the hardware had been modified. They've probably been harvesting logs and data for ages.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not bothered by it, but I feel bad for fans of certain 3DS games, where the online community already felt like it was dwindling. Not every person who runs CFW cheats.

Haven't been checking elsewhere, but I don't think anyone in this thread has been particularly salty. Most of the people here (me included) are well aware that Nintendo has always been able to do this, but never really acted on it.

I don't think I've been banned since I can still access the friends list, but I'm still on 11.2 and don't play online games so even if I do get banned I don't really care.

Oh no, it's mainly on that reddit and sites like GBATemp that are regurgitating the crap. GAF is the tamest I've seen so far.

Audioboxer

Weird that they never disabled the original Wii or Wii U after they had been hacked.

The 3DS has been hacked to smithereens. It was more shocking they weren't doing much. That leniency has undoubtedly led to thousands of more people putting CFW on their device even if they only wanted it for something "stupid" like custom themes. Or, system-wide region free/running translation plugins was a big selling point. Easy to do, Nintendo isn't doing much and everything region free? Eh, why not. The point being I bet many who didn't want CFW that badly jumped on board anyway due to ease of doing it and Nintendo seemingly not caring.

Whereas Sony and MS have long struck fear in anyone daring to modify hardware. With a lot to lose most refrain from homebrew/CFW. The 3DS just didn't have that fear, until now, when it's at the end of the life cycle and so many have already pulled the trigger lol.

Bleh, knew this was a possibility, but it's still shitty. Not like this is going to stop me from installing CFW on any other console I buy from them, lol.

autoduelist

If people tell the truth you could get a good bargain, however as above I think there will be attempts from some now to flog banned consoles without saying. Nintendo is not going to unban them either. If it was as easy as phoning up and saying "I'm a new owner" everyone would do that.

Yeah, i wouldn't need to phone them up, as i don't care if it's banned. i just want a cheap 3ds to play some games.

i-Jest

Don't some of these hacks literally let you download any game on the eshop for free? Aka pirate them?

If that's true then it's surprising they haven't banned them sooner...

People were able to D/L games off the Eshop for free with CFW? Well if that's the case then they have every v reason to.

rucury

Banned
If only banning online cheaters or consoles which have pirated games (i.e. have digital copies of games while never having redeemed a code or bought through eShop), then good.

Else, boo. CFW is amazing and most definitely worth it.

Dr. Worm

Banned
If only banning online cheaters or consoles which have pirated games (i.e. have digital copies of games while never having redeemed a code or bought through eShop), then good.

I don't believe Nintendo has any way to actually determine that, at least not without picking up false positives.

Fancolors

I'm surprised it took so long.

Oh well, I haven't been banned yet, but I guess it's just a matter of time.

This won't stop piracy, but good for the online communities with cheaters

Piracy is unaffected by this.

I think the concern is cheaters playing online.

Piracy is an absolute reason. Most people don't remember, but Nintendo had an entire legal campaign against those R4 flashcarts for the DS that would let you download and play any ROM you wanted on SD cards. Nintendo is heavy on protecting their content.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Else, boo. CFW is amazing and most definitely worth it.

You really have to look at it from Nintendo's viewpoint.

They don't care what you're using custom firmware for...no matter what it is they don't want you doing it for a myriad of reasons. It's all equally bad to them.

BigEmil

You are allowed to modify the system you bought within the law

NeOak

Technically in the US, the DMCA prohibits bypassing the encryption used to sign the keys for the firmware, as well as the security of the device.

Hence why the Custodian/Librarian/idr of the Library of Congress has to give waivers for certain things.

I mean, even phone unlocking to allow the use on other networks was technically illegal, just not enforced at all.

From what I've heard or remember, this is not the case as the exact same thing occurred with Sony VS. Geohot back in 2011, which ended in a settlement.

Not only that, but this whole thing is why there is a Terms of Agreement or Service in the first place; when you agree, you're basically put into a binding contract to not do the shit specified within said terms, regardless of the law.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Piracy is an absolute reason. Most people don't remember, but Nintendo had an entire legal campaign against those R4 flashcarts for the DS that would let you download and play any ROM you wanted on SD cards. Nintendo is heavy on protecting their content.

Not that Nintendo doesn't care about piracy, but these bans specifically don't actually affect piracy. There is nothing stopping a banned console from pirating.

Not that Nintendo doesn't care about piracy, but these bans specifically don't actually affect piracy. There is nothing stopping a banned console from pirating.

Very true, but it's not like Nintendo can honestly stop that at this point. Just cause a bit of trouble for the people who do. :p

marmoka

Banned
But if it goes against nintendo's terms of service, they have the right to restrict access.

This. And if Nintendo considers that homebreaking puts their business in risk, because of piracy, for example, they have all the rights to ban those who homebrewed it.

And I'm one of those who has Homebrew Channel installed. I knew the risks when I was doing it, and I also knew Nintendo could even make my 3DS inoperative because of this.

This is business in the end. If you don't want any of this to happen, then don't do what you know you shouldn't do.

samred

my own take: I installed custom firmware on my 3DS because the soundhax exploit, which let me play imported cartridges, was blocked. that's all I wanted to do with my ancient 3DS, which I barely use these days, anyway. I certainly never play online games, though now I have to pick between legitimate eShop access and import-cartridge access, which sucks. but, as others have pointed out, that's the dance you do in these situations. at least 3DS custom firmware is incredibly easy to uninstall.

Audioboxer

lol, the YouTube app is banned.

eShop access? No problem. YouTube? BAN.

Nintendo logic.

Apparently, Netflix won't work either. Although, don't ask me who watches Netflix on a 3DS. The 3DS web browser still works.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
lol, the YouTube app is banned.

eShop access? No problem. YouTube? BAN.

Nintendo logic.

Apparently, Netflix won't work either. Although, don't ask me who watches Netflix on a 3DS. The 3DS web browser still works.

I use Netflix on my 3DS occasionally. The speakers on my 3DS are billion times better than the dinky speaker on my phone.

Audioboxer

I use Netflix on my 3DS occasionally. The speakers on my 3DS are billion times better than the dinky speaker on my phone.

Fair play, sadly if you get banned Netflix supposedly stops working. I wonder how much of a grounding anyone would have to challenge Nintendo there. YT/Netflix aren't their servers and in the case of Netflix it's a paid service. I guess they'd probably win a legal battle stating you acquired both the apps from their store where you had to accept a ToS to get on. Still, it's them restricting you from accessing the servers of other companies.

Does anyone know if YT/Netflix apps stop working on a banned 360/PS3? I believe both of them have a YT app as well as Netflix.

Dingens

so... does miiverse still work? I mean it's bound to your nnid, right?

From what I've heard or remember, this is not the case as the exact same thing occurred with Sony VS. Geohot back in 2011, which ended in a settlement.

Not only that, but this whole thing is why there is a Terms of Agreement or Service in the first place; when you agree, you're basically put into a binding contract to not do the shit specified within said terms, regardless of the law.

It probably would've ended differently if he was European.
Tos can't be as easily enforceable for various reasons (especially if the box claims various services but not the terms right there) and I'm sure you could fight this ban at some European court if you're willing to spend a few thousand bucks. But I don't see anyone doing that only to get online multiplayer back on their hacked device.

Shiggy

There are lots of hacks available for games, so I assume they are banning users to avoid further online cheating.

I have had my fill of online 3ds games over the years, and so today, I'd rather have a banned N3DS that lets me run all games at better framerates, than an unbanned N3DS that inexplicably limits hardware-level improvememts to like five games only.

I can run Rayman 3D and X/Y at a solid framerate on my modded 3DS. Whats the difference caused by?

one changed flag that enables any game to take advantage of N3DS overhead.

Shit should be a system-level, user accessible option. Instead of something that's left up to devs who apparently couldn't possibly give two fucks. Why isn't Sun and Moon 'optimized for New 3DS?'

Common logic: "because that's extra dev time and money spent"
Reality: "literally no reason at all, besides perhaps incompetence"

tsundoku

looks like they're just playing around and testing localized and system based capabilities with a captive and large population to test out strategies and reactions for the switch userbase

with splatoon and arms essentially only existing as online games due to each individual console's set of unlocks I was not looking forward to the goldrush for switch hacks to cheat in splatoon and arms

should serve as a bit of a deterrent at least

Top Bottom