• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midair Kickstarter is live + new trailer

Ont

I have been waiting 16 years for a game which is similar to Tribes 1 and Tribes 2, so it was easy to pledge money for this project. :)

rainz

As a huge T1 and even huger T2 fan I am cautiously optimistic... Slightly burned by T:V and T:A, though T:A could have been decent. I don't see the team based large scale/vehicle gameplay that i actually liked in T2 here yet.. Hoping they nail it and have huge maps, and polish the skiing etc..

Are arena shooters going to become the new roguelikes?

One of them would have to successful first for that to be the case.

I like Tribes, but like all these multiplayer games if the player base isn't there then there isn't much point.

Miker

I like Tribes, but like all these multiplayer games if the player base isn't there then there isn't much point.

Yeah, as much as I want to back this, I feel like I'd need the impossible guarantee of a healthy playerbase. Which isn't good, because Kickstarters need positive momentum and a feeling of "this will definitely make it" to reach their goal.

0wing

Hmmm tempting, very tempting. I only put some 666 hours into Tribes Ascend... -_-

~1500 hours here.
Let's hope Midair doesn't allow dumb things like undetected cheating by editing .ini files. :)

Probably going to back this, I've only heard good things from the alpha testers.

Ont

Yeah, as much as I want to back this, I feel like I'd need the impossible guarantee of a healthy playerbase. Which isn't good, because Kickstarters need positive momentum and a feeling of "this will definitely make it" to reach their goal.

I don't think that will be a problem with Midair. The first three Tribes games still have players in spite of the fact that there has been no official support or updates for those games during the past 12 - 15 years.

Tribes Vengeance did not receive any updates following its release and I thought that the game was as good as dead back in the 2005 until I realised last week that there were people still playing that game.

These games have some really addictive qualities which makes it difficult for the players to move back to more traditional FPS games. It will be interesting to see what an active developer can do with this game.

Played the absolute hell out of Tribes 2 back in my high school years on the old 56k modem. Some of my all time greatest gaming moments come from that era. Despite how much Ascend wasn't a Tribes game, it was still surprisingly fun to play as there just weren't any other fast paced high flying shooters out there. Even with all its flaws (too many bullet weapons, restrictive character customisation, etc) it held the playerbase even after HiRez pulled the pin in favour of Smite.

Seeing as this game is going free to play as well, if they can nail that old school Tribes feel while keeping things accessible for the general public, I think it could be successful. I haven't backed it yet as I'm waiting to see how far they get, but the video they've shown looks promising. Love the Blizzardy, cartoony look as well.

Only 11 posts in this thread is disgusting.

JP_

Banned

Love Tribes, but the population for this game will probably be nonexistent. :\

Do you guys have these concerns because of the game itself? Or simply because it's a smaller team that simply doesn't have the resources of huge companies like Activision to market it to millions? Should indie devs just not attempt to make multiplayer games?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Do you guys have these concerns because of the game itself? Or simply because it's a smaller team that simply doesn't have the resources of huge companies like Activision to market it to millions? Should indie devs just not attempt to make multiplayer games?

What you're asking is a question with no answer, yet too many answers. Its a combination of everything.

1. Its a new team with no track record. Gamble 1.
2. They are developing a title with a niche community to begin with. Tribes was never massively popularly, but a dedicated community. Will there be enough people to make purchasing an online only game worth while?
3. Sadly, smaller developers are at odds end with it. Sometimes, they pull through like with Mount and Blade, Killing Frame, Warframe, Payday, Ark, Rocket League, Minecraft, etc. But many of them become wastelands pretty quick.
4. It is heavily going to depend on how good the game is, what features it offers, and how it interacts with the community.

JP_

Banned
What you're asking is a question with no answer, yet too many answers. Its a combination of everything.

1. Its a new team with no track record. Gamble 1.
2. They are developing a title with a niche community to begin with. Tribes was never massively popularly, but a dedicated community. Will there be enough people to make purchasing an online only game worth while?
3. Sadly, smaller developers are at odds end with it. Sometimes, they pull through like with Mount and Blade, Killing Frame, Warframe, Payday, Ark, Rocket League, Minecraft, etc. But many of them become wastelands pretty quick.
4. It is heavily going to depend on how good the game is, what features it offers, and how it interacts with the community.

Yeah I wasn't necessarily looking for objective truth -- was curious what was really driving the sentiment for people personally.

re:1. Should be noted, some of the devs were part of the Legions Overdrive team: http://www.legionsoverdrive.com/

re:3. heh, kind of scary to see you describe some of those teams as 'small' -- I think most of those are medium sized teams.

Atomski

Those maps/weapons looked almost like the f2p tribes.. I kinda wish they would take a new spin on this instead of looking so samey. I love the gameplay just give me something more interesting to look at.

This is a problem with every multiplayer game just look at Evolve from last year and Titanfall before that. Their communities dried up in like two or three months on PC. What lasts seems semi random. There are obviously reasons why those games are largely dead now, but its hard to predict what exactly will hit. No one expected the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer to have legs. I'm super wary of buying into multiplayer games either way. I didn't get Vermintide despite thinking it was great because I suspected it would die out and I'm not picking up Battleborn because it's already got a super low player count for a game with marketing behind it.

This game having all the issues associated with the risk of a Kickstarter just makes it an even tougher sell.

JP_

Banned
This is a problem with every multiplayer game just look at Evolve from last year and Titanfall before that. Their communities dried up in like two or three months on PC. What lasts seems semi random. There are obviously reasons why those games are largely dead now, but its hard to predict what exactly will hit. No one expected the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer to have legs. I'm super wary of buying into multiplayer games either way. I didn't get Vermintide despite thinking it was great because I suspected it would die out and I'm not picking up Battleborn because it's already got a super low player count for a game with marketing behind it.

This game having all the issues associated with the risk of a Kickstarter just makes it an even tougher sell.

I think that's a big reason why they went f2p (with a medium priced 'buy once get all future weapons/maps' deal). Releasing a $60 multiplayer game is basically all or nothing, but I feel like low/medium priced games can sustain themselves even if they don't have a huge community. Insurgency, Verdun, Awesomenauts, etc

Ont

This is a problem with every multiplayer game just look at Evolve from last year and Titanfall before that. Their communities dried up in like two or three months on PC. What lasts seems semi random. There are obviously reasons why those games are largely dead now, but its hard to predict what exactly will hit.

That is a genuine concern with the most new multiplayer FPS games, but what you forget is that this game already has a community that has been in existence for 18 years. There is a large group of players out there who are ready to play Midair if it ticks all the right boxes for them.

It is also the only new upcoming game that does something like this. It is easy to transition from Titanfall to Black Ops 3 because those two games are very similar. But if I want to get my Tribes fix, I need to start a game that was launched in 2001 (which people still play). I cannot go to any other modern FPS game and have that same experience there.

^ I agree. There are several online communities that are dedicated to the Tribes franchise (Tribalwar, bittah, etc) that are really getting behind the idea of a new Tribes like game. We were all so excited for Ascend when it was announced but they failed to deliver that classic Tribes experience. So long as Archetype listen to the community and deliver an experience more like T1/T2 than TV/TA, they will get the support from those communities.

Trace

Banned
^ I agree. There are several online communities that are dedicated to the Tribes franchise (Tribalwar, bittah, etc) that are really getting behind the idea of a new Tribes like game. We were all so excited for Ascend when it was announced but they failed to deliver that classic Tribes experience. So long as Archetype listen to the community and deliver an experience more like T1/T2 than TV/TA, they will get the support from those communities.

As far as I know, Midair is composed of people that had control of Legions when InstantAction died and GarageGames lost their IPs. So yea, they've been doing this kind of stuff for years, and they know how it should play to please the Tribes playerbase. On the downside, it's really fucking hard to get to a level where you could play Legions competitively and I think it would probably be the same with Midair.

DSix

Banned
As a Tribes veteran, I think this will bomb horribly.

First off the name "Midair" is awful (yes of course I know the game lingo, but it's stupid as a game title).

Second Tribes Ascend and Tribes Next are already great ways to get your tribes fix right now and for free (Ascend has had a massive patch that makes it play a fuckton closer to classical tribes now, with only pay-for cosmetics, and Tribes Next is free Tribes 2).

Third midair looks like shit. Like some mod made on the original tribes 2 engine. On that note the kickstarter doesn't mention the game engine, which makes me very suspicious on the fact that this game is running on Torque 3D, which is an old POS and will not be able to make anything look much better than Tribes 2 did.

I don't really see the point of it all, and it wont bring much if any newbloods.

Trace

Banned
As a Tribes veteran, I think this will bomb horribly.

First off the name "Midair" is awful (yes of course I know the game lingo, but it's stupid as a game title).

Second Tribes Ascend and Tribes Next are already great ways to get your tribes fix right now and for free (Ascend has had a massive patch that makes it play a fuckton closer to classical tribes now, with only pay-for cosmetics, and Tribes Next is free Tribes 2).

Third midair looks like shit. Like some mod made on the original tribes 2 engine. On that note the kickstarter doesn't mention the game engine, which makes me very suspicious on the fact that this game is running on Torque 3D, which is an old POS and will not be able to make anything look much better than Tribes 2 did.

I don't really see the point of it all, and it wont bring much if any newbloods.

The game runs on Unreal 4. You seem more than a little down on it, I mean sure Tribes Ascend is good but that's not what these guys are going for. They're all Tribes 1/2/Legions veterans and they want to make a game closer to the originals. The name is subjective, I think it's succinct and gets the point across.

Top Bottom