• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces Q2 Results

Oersted

Unless I am reading it wrong, I'm not seeing a loss for the game division. Sony Corp lost a bit of money, but SCE doesn't seem to be doing terribly. Sony seems to be losing less money than the previous year, so they are slowly improving it seems. I won't get all bothered about them putting the PS2 and PS3 together. Seems understandable to me, given they are still selling the PS2 with the PS3, so it makes sense they would put the two together under one banner. Dropping the handhelds numbers are disconcerting, that is for sure.

dontknowifserious.jpg

dontknowifserious.jpg

Given the lack of NPD numbers and their general silence on hardware numbers, I'm sure they are likely trying to soften the blow of below expectations for both the PS2 and the PS3, so it doesn't seem like a surprising thing to keep the console business reported under one banner and the handhelds reported under the same banner... I'm sure there will be people that freak out about it, but I'm indifferent. That is kind of what I mean, sorry.

Pranay

Given the lack of NPD numbers and their general silence on hardware numbers, I'm sure they are likely trying to soften the blow of below expectations for both the PS2 and the PS3, so it doesn't seem like a surprising thing to keep the console business reported under one banner and the handhelds reported under the same banner... I'm sure there will be people that freak out about it, but I'm indifferent.

We still know most of the estimates from npd and PS3 is still the best selling console in Europe

Pranay

Still might not look good next to those 360 numbers though...

Ehh ? in US We know 360 sells well, in Europe PS3 is still selling well.

Even if the numbers are good, Sony will release the same way they are doing.

Bah it seems the PS3 did well, but we'll never know the accurate numbers. 2.5 mil maybe?

1 ml a bit too much for ps2 ?

I would go with 2.8 or 3 for ps3

Miles X

Disappointing yet again, what do they stand to gain lumping the figures all together.

anyway last Q was down for PS3 YOY was it not? Which leads to believe 1.8m or less?

This Q is anyone's guess. 2.7m? Down 1m yoy, with PS2 at 0.8m, down 0.4m yoy? Seems like it'd be something around there.

Never got why Sony ship their christmas stock so much earlier than MS.

Keep spending that cash Kaz.

Sony excluding financial services now has $5.5 billion in cash/cash equivalent and $11 billion in long term debt.

About at the point where shareholders are going to be much better off if Sony just becomes a finance company and sells everything else off. Share price would probably triple over night if they announced that tomorrow.

Most of the operating income recorded came from an ins payout and sale of chemical business.

"Operating results during the current quarter were favorably impacted by a net benefit of 13.2 billion yen (170 million U.S. dollars) from insurance recoveries relating to damages and losses incurred from the floods in Thailand (the “Floods”) which took place in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012, and a gain of 8.2 billion yen (105 million U.S. dollars) from the sale of the chemical products related business recorded mainly in the Devices segment."

Down 500million for the fiscal year so far, all the while spending cash.

Oersted

Bah it seems the PS3 did well, but we'll never know the accurate numbers. 2.5 mil maybe?

Orca is the man

I believe I have this right, but it's quite late and I have a baby on my lap.

This year:
Code:
Console     Ja-Mr'12    Ap-Jn'12    Jl-Sp'12      Oc-Dc'12   (2012 - YTD)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS3/PS2       2.5         2.8         3.5            -           8.8

Last year:
Code:
Console     Ja-Mr'11    Ap-Jn'11    Jl-Sp'11      Oc-Dc'11   (2011 - YTD)
PS3           2.1          1.8         3.7            -           7.6      
PS2           1.2          1.4         1.2            -           3.8

A shortfall of 2.6 million units

As expected the PSP/PSV family receives a further revision to its forecast.

16m > 12m > 10m

They have sold 3m for the first half and they expect to sell another 7m?

PSVita sales in Japan and US are now less than 100k combined each month, there are no big titles on the horizon and the 3DS is going from strength to strength.

It's done Sony.

itxaka

Defeatist
I believe I have this right, but it's quite late and I have a baby on my lap.

This year:
Code:
Console     Ja-Mr'12    Ap-Jn'12    Jl-Sp'12      Oc-Dc'12   (2012 - YTD)
PS3/PS2       2.5         2.8         3.5            -           8.8

Last year:
Code:
Console     Ja-Mr'11    Ap-Jn'11    Jl-Sp'11      Oc-Dc'11   (2011 - YTD)
PS3           2.1          1.8         3.7            -           7.6      
PS2           1.2          1.4         1.2            -           3.8

A shortfall of 2.6 million units

6 million ps3 and 2,5 Ps2? Or 7 ps3 1,8 PS2?

Goddamm Sony, it's impossible to see this if you lump them together.

For once, we can assure that they haven't sell more than 6.5 million ps3, as that would put them at 70 million worldwide and there would be a PR or something

Correct me if Im worng :D

AniHawk

I especially like how they combine psp/psv numbers but separate DS and 3ds.

that was parmenides putting that there for comparison. i don't think sony has access to nintendo's and microsoft's sales, nor would they welcome the comparison in their own financial results.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Combining numbers is no fun SONY.
No doubt that the PS3 would have been the highest of the home consoles even without the PS2, so I can only assume they do it to obscure the Vita shipments.

Which is pretty silly, since they look pretty bad combined anyhow.

Miles X

6 million ps3 and 2,5 Ps2? Or 7 ps3 1,8 PS2?

Goddamm Sony, it's impossible to see this if you lump them together.

For once, we can assure that they haven't sell more than 6.5 million ps3, as that would put them at 70 million worldwide and there would be a PR or something

Correct me if Im worng :D

They're nowhere near 70m. Last Q they said they were down YOY on PS3 so of that 2.8m they did 1.8m or less. Max Total 65.7m lifetime at that point then.

So add to that whatever it did this Q, given PS2 was at least 1m last Q, I doubt it's completely tanked (looking at last years sales it seems to be pretty stable) so around 2.3 - 2.7 seems resonable for PS3 with 0.8 - 1.2 for PS2.

I put that at roughly 68 - 68.4m

Putting the PS360 gap at 1.6m - 2m going into Xmas. For references, the gap this time las year was 2.1m.

dc89

I can never analyse these kind of things and say 'yup, they're doing ok' or 'yup, this is terrible.'

But lumping PS2 & PS3 and PSV & PSP together is kinda cheap in my eyes. PS2 still sells really well in developing counties so it skews the PS3 figure. Hmm, Sony...

Oersted

Forget it.

In the game business, Sony is working to further expand the PS3 platform through measures such as the introduction of a new, smaller and lighter model with a larger capacity HDD. Sony is also working to further spread the PS Vita platform, which Sony introduced last year, through various measures such as the introduction of an attractive software lineup. Sony also acquired U.S.-based Gaikai Inc. in August 2012. Through this acquisition, Sony aims to provide users with interactive entertainment experiences by establishing a new cloud service.

Oersted

Did you even read that quote? How did you get PS4 from that?

Before it derails completly.

Net loss attributable to Sony Corporation’s stockholders, which excludes net income attributable to
noncontrolling interests, decreased 11.5 billion yen year-on-year to 15.5 billion yen (198 million U.S. dollars).

Nice wording. Cloud service means games on cloud, you don´t have to rely on hardware. So, are these upcoming cloud service games possible on PS3? Is the answer yes, one less reason for PS4. If the answer is no, than well... all leads to the question: PS 4 incoming?

Or to put it different: How would this cloud service affect the PS3/ PS4 case?
... I don't, I mean you just... What?

Takao

Banned
Nice wording. Cloud service means games on cloud, you don´t have to rely on hardware. So, are these upcoming cloud service games possible on PS3? Is the answer yes, one less reason for PS4. If the answer is no, than well... all leads to the question: PS 4 incoming?

Or to put it different: How would this cloud service affect the PS3/ PS4 case?

Oh, so you're just crazy.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If PS3/PS2/PSP were considered PlayStation "family", does the grouping of PSP/Vita mean PlayStation....Genus?

As expected the PSP/PSV family receives a further revision to its forecast.

16m > 12m > 10m

They have sold 3m for the first half and they expect to sell another 7m?

PSVita sales in Japan and US are now less than 100k combined each month, there are no big titles on the horizon and the 3DS is going from strength to strength.

It's done Sony.

While we don't know Europes numbers judging from what info we do have it isn't doing much better there. That new revised forecast still looks way too high and i think they are going to fall comfortably short despite dropping it again. The thing is dead unless it sees a huge boost this holiday season.

Also the small profit sony is making from the games division listed earlier in this thread doesn't look too promising. I get the feeling that sony might struggle to do a price drop for either the PS3 or vita.

Erethian

While we don't know Europes numbers judging from what info we do have it isn't doing much better there. That new revised forecast still looks way too high and i think they are going to fall comfortably short despite dropping it again. The thing is dead unless it sees a huge boost this holiday season.

Also the small profit sony is making from the games division listed earlier in this thread doesn't look too promising. I get the feeling that sony might struggle to do a price drop for either the PS3 or vita.

We've got European hardware courtesy of Nintendo, who sourced their data from the relevant market research companies.

10l.jpg

Suffice to say, Vita is doing really bad there too.

Nerix

I understand the difference between operating income and income before taxes, what I don't get is how you can go from +$252 million before taxes to negative $198 million after taxes. Do they really pay that much in taxes? I was under the impression that tax is really lenient on corporations, like 15%.

Explanation:
"Income before income taxes increased 19.6 billion yen year-on-year to 19.7 billion yen (252 million U.S. dollars).

Income taxes: During the current quarter, Sony recorded 22.0 billion yen (282 million U.S. dollars) of income tax expense. As of March 31, 2012, Sony had established a valuation allowance against certain deferred tax assets for Sony Corporation and its national tax filing group in Japan, the consolidated tax filing group in the U.S., and certain other subsidiaries. During the current fiscal year, certain of these tax filing groups and subsidiaries incurred losses and as such Sony continued to not recognize the associated tax benefits. As a result, Sony’s effective tax rate for the current quarter exceeded the Japanese statutory tax rate.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/12q2_sony.pdf

We've got European hardware courtesy of Nintendo, who sourced their data from the relevant market research companies.

10l.jpg

It's hard to pull accurate numbers from that graph, but it looks like the PSVita has been selling at less than 15k for the last 20 weeks, dropping each week (w27 excluded).

Anyone know what was released for that week that gave it a sales spike?

10l.jpg

Heh that's exactly what i was referring too. It gives a good idea of what's happening but i wouldn't take those numbers the same as i would NPD or media create numbers (even if they're just as accurate it isn't a straight up comparison).

They do paint a very bleak picture for the vita.

Just pull the plug already, Sony...

I'm wondering if the shareholders will try to on the management team sooner rather than later. Considering the massive loss Vita currently is and will end up being over the long haul, the next PS console really is make or break for the gaming division when they've got an opportunity to simply leave dedicated gaming hardware behind with cloud services that could play their software across actually popular platforms.

Looks like Sony is narrowing down its losses. They might make profit faster than we expect. Its crazy if you compare it with Panasonics gigantic loss of $9bn.

verbum

So to sum it up. what did MS do right and the other two do wrong recently that allowed MS to earn the only positive income? Was XB Live a big difference? Do video sales (movies, TV shows people purchase) figure into Xbox's profit? Or does that profit go to another division?

Top Bottom