• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's the love for Everspace?

Castef

Banned
The game is out in early access on Steam and Game Preview on Xbox One and Windows 10 (with Xbox Play Anywhere).

And it is good!

EVERSPACE-Gif.gif

A bit rough for some mechanics and still in development (they are adding things on a regular basis, the game is growing quite fast...). Yet good!

Am I the only one playing it here?

For people who do not know the game, have a look at this video.

Also, the mandatory mining gif, I was almost forgetting it...

1.gif.gif

Coreda

It's a really polished game for an Early Access title. Visuals, sound design, controls. I like that death doesn't feel bad as you collect credits each run which go into improving your ship before each new run. Makes it feel like progress is being made even with the rogue-like elements.

I also appreciate the ship's AI conversations that add some warmth to the experience. There's an EA OT btw for anyone interested.

Castef

Banned
I also appreciate the ship's AI conversations that add some warmth to the experience. There's an EA OT btw for anyone interested.

That was a big surprise to me, as the exchanges between the pilot and the IA are usually actually good (and there are lots of them!)

Really fun game. I bought it when it came to early access. However, I'm waiting for the official release before diving in more. The story seems like it could be interesting.Very likeable characters.

Philxor

Thanks for raising this. I had heard the name pop up but hadn't given it much attention as I wasn't sure quite where it would fit on the 'Freespace to Rebel Galaxy to Elite' scale. It sounds interesting. Any preferences around on this vs Rebel Galaxy?

Bought it and enjoyed it but i have too many games at the moment so i'm going to check back on it frequently but probably won't dive in properly until release as i don't want to burn out before the game is finished. If you're looking for a very pretty space roguelike where you are ploughing through sectors to reach the next warp point then go for it. It's shaping up to be something really neat i reckon.

For comparison with Rebel Galaxy they are different beasts. Rebel Galaxy is more "traditional" in that there are missions and trading and a plot and factions. Everspace to me has more of an roguelike dungeon run feel as there is perma-death with carry over between runs, there's enough narrative to give the game personality and character but essentially you warp into a sector, find resources, shoot enemies and then try to bail to the next sector before the big-boys turn up and slap you about.

I'm enjoying both but they are very different games, similar but different.

danowat

Banned
Extremely fun and extremely underated game.

Just a shame the XBO version lags so far behind the PC version in terms of updates.

BTW, there is an OT for the game.........http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1278375

Thanks for raising this. I had heard the name pop up but hadn't given it much attention as I wasn't sure quite where it would fit on the 'Freespace to Rebel Galaxy to Elite' scale. It sounds interesting. Any preferences around on this vs Rebel Galaxy?

They are very different games, Everspace is a pure roguelike, you only get stronger by dying.

UltraJay

Keep in mind that it has rogue-like elements. Such as perma-death and the concept of "runs" with the game getting increasingly difficult. Stay too long in an area trying to collect stuff and a huge swarm of ships jump in (grim reaper mechanic).

Castef

Banned
Keep in mind that it has rogue-like elements. Such as perma-death and the concept of "runs" with the game getting increasingly difficult. Stay too long in an area trying to collect stuff and a huge swarm of ships jump in (grim reaper mechanic).

Then, survive the the swarm of ships and wait a little bit more and... SURPRISE! :D

Castef

Banned
Pedant ;), but you get what I mean ;)

I know it's technically in early access, but it's more complete and competent than many fully fledged releases.

;)

Yes, that's quite true, it has been released in a very solid state.

Also, I guess/hope that reviews will come once the game is fully released.

noomi

Oh wow, this completely fell under the radar for me.

I remember seeing a reddit post a year or two ago with gameplay and I thought it looked very good. Glad to know it's on steam early access... might pick this up.

That being said, I've been trying to capture the feeling of Freelancer for many years and no other games has been able to fill that void. No mans sky left a pretty big scar on my heart :(

Dervius

Very interested in this. I tried the trial on Xbox One and enjoyed what I played.

I think Katie I'll wait until the full release though. The controls on the trial were less than ideal.

Buggy Loop

Of what i played in early access (first week), you cannot even do what is in the gif of the OP for one. Some "looks kinda" asteroids are minable, but not those ones, and most of them you can't. The ones you can don't look nearly as good.

And it only had 1 ship. Not much strategy available with your ship or the skill tree. It'll need a spike in content before i go back to it.

Top Bottom