• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Special Big Band @ Nico Nico Choukaigi (April 26)

Poyunch

And then at the end the Chorus Men get confirmed for Smash.
dR5X0Qp.png

edit: Aww the concert already happened

And then at the end the Chorus Men get confirmed for Smash.
dR5X0Qp.png

edit: Aww the concert already happened

Well the event is on the 26th and 27th. So there's still time for something I hope.

Miyamoto's supposed to appear, was it just that he's saying "hi, I'm here" or is he doing something special?

JB2448

Past the 7:00 mark on the final part, Koji Kondo, Shogo Sakai and Junichi Masuda speak for a few minutes. That's awesome!

Still not sold on the new Smash Bros theme.

I felt the same way back when it was first shown last year, but it's grown on me since then. The arrangement here was fantastic.

Loved the other stuff too. I'd like to know what Kondo, Sakai and Masuda were saying...

zroid

Banned
I'll take the hit for you, this deserves to be heard, and people had no problem uploading the Nintendo World 2011 livestream.
It's been uploaded in five parts on YouTube.
Playlist of the entire performance.
Individual parts:
Part 1 -
Super Mario Bros. Series Medley
Part 2 -
Donkey Kong - The Legend of Zelda
Part 3 -
Kirby - Animal Crossing
Part 4 -
Pokémon
Part 5 -
Smash Bros. - Composers (Koji Kondo, Shogo Sakai and Junichi Masuda)
The entire performance is pretty long, around an hour, if the timestamps are taken literally.

thanks mate

Zalman

Oh man, this is fantastic. I have so much to say right now.

Loving the new Smash theme. Is Junichi Masuda really one of the composers for the game?
I wish I understood what they were talking about at the end.

Oh, I get it now. Those three composed the entire thing, not just the Smash part.

Jackano

Listening right now, thank you so much JB2448!

Shogo Sakai is awesome on twitter, posting selfies with Kondo and pics of cats.

Going to listen it while drawing.

The first big band concert nintendo did (the mario and zelda big band) was amazing, remember hearing all the time when I was in high school.

I love big band music.

Jackano

So, overall I liked it of course but the Mario & Zelda Big Band concert is still superior to me.
The performance and quality is closer to the event that was in... 2011 IIRC (before the 3DS came out and Nintendo did an event to show it in Tokyo).
Adapting music to the big band style requires some work and not all music fits it well.
Also, the Brawl theme by Uematsu is still superior to the Smash WiiU/3DS one. I prefere Melee too, and even the first Smash music in fact.
Anyway, region locking was lame as usual. And as usual this material will likely never be reused. IMO it should be available on eShop somehow.

And idk if Sakai is my new hero or just weirdo. He's like living with a dozen of cats or maybe he is a cat himself.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Oh holy crap! the Nintendo big band Live concert from about ten years back is one of the most glorious performances of gaming music ever. I cannot wait to listen to this! If anyone has not seen the previous performance, track it down now. It's amazing stuff.

I'll take the hit for you, this deserves to be heard, and people had no problem uploading the Nintendo World 2011 livestream.
Individual parts:
Part 1 -
Part 2 -
Part 3 -
Kirby - Animal Crossing
Part 4 -
Pokémon
Part 5 -
The entire performance is pretty long, around an hour, if the timestamps are taken literally.

Thanks, this was gorgeous.

I can't for the life of me recognize the song after the Green Greens bit in the Kirby section (around 2:22). It's driving me crazy. Anyone know what it is?

So it looks like you can watch the timeshifted stream if you subscribe to NicoNico premium and are residing in Japan. I checked the videos on YouTube, and the highest quality you can get out of them is the YouTube 480p mp4 which appears to encode its audio as AAC at 96 kbps. I downloaded the rehearsal from NicoNico and it has AAC audio encoded at 190 kbps.

I wonder if anyone in Japan can download the videos that were uploaded to YouTube from NicoNico so we can get a much better audio quality?

0226_cho_stage_336x_350_nintendo.jpg

Nintendo Special Big Band

00 - Rehearsal
01 - Super Mario Bros. Series Medley
02 - Donkey Kong - The Legend of Zelda
03 - Kirby - Animal Crossing
04 - Pokémon Medley
05 - Smash Bros. Medley

Got home and wanted to listen to this the "right way" so i edited out the after track talking and converted them to mp3's so i can toss it on my ipod. Since this isnt being sold and the vids are still up on Youtube, I dont think im breaking any ToS. Mods please pull this post down if i am. Until then.....ENJOY!!!!

*Track data compiled in iTunes with info from this thread. Thanks to OP and various posters. Also im not a remastering pro...all i did was cut, convert, and label. :)

L~A

Individual parts:
Part 1 -
Part 2 -
Part 3 -
Kirby - Animal Crossing
Part 4 -
Pokémon
Part 5 -

Thanks a bunch for posting this :)

Jackano

00 - Rehearsal
04 - Pokémon Medley
05 - Smash Bros. Medley

Got home and wanted to listen to this the "right way" so i edited out the after track talking and converted them to mp3's so i can toss it on my ipod. Since this isnt being sold and the vids are still up on Youtube, I dont think im breaking any ToS. Mods please pull this post down if i am. Until then.....ENJOY!!!!

*Track data compiled in iTunes with info from this thread. Thanks to OP and various posters. Also im not a remastering pro...all i did was cut, convert, and label. :)

Ah, thanks to you too Panama. Will save me 1 hour today!

m0t0k1

Completly in love with the renditions of the classic nintendo songs. Probably going to be a long time before this is on itunes.

00 - Rehearsal
04 - Pokémon Medley
05 - Smash Bros. Medley

You're so awesome! Thanks!!

blamite

00 - Rehearsal
04 - Pokémon Medley
05 - Smash Bros. Medley

Thanks for the download!

Awesome concert, maybe not as great as the Mario and Zelda CD, but that Smash Bros. Medley is just too good! I need more!

moolamb

Individual parts:
Part 1 -
Part 2 -
Part 3 -
Kirby - Animal Crossing
Part 4 -
Pokémon
Part 5 -

Ohhhh thank you so much. Sublimeeeeee.

I suck at recognising what song is what and it's killing me.

Someone knowledgeable needs to go through the whole thing and list all the tracks :p

CassSept

That hisstocrat rendition. Perfect, just perfect. Highlight of SM3DW ost and it's great. Will have to listen through the whole thing later on.

Someone knowledgeable needs to go through the whole thing and list all the tracks :p

Hahaha yeah. This happens to me often too, I hate it. I know the composition, I can hum it, I know how it goes but for the love of all that's holy I can't remember where it's from.

Chunky

Man, this Pokemon Medley is sexy~

edit:
oh god, this whole thing is brilliant! Reminds of the Monster Hunter Jazz album they put out.

Chunky

I guess I can give the Pokemon one a shot:
00:00 - 01:02 : Pokemon Centre
01:02 - 02:18 : Route 1 (Kanto)
02:19 - 03:20 : Battle! Wild Pokemon (Black/White)
03:40 - 04:20 : Gym Theme
04:36 - 05:39 : Main Pokemon Theme

Just finished hearing it, Mario and Zelda big band shits this one from a great high, pretty unimpressive.
Kirby was the best segment I think. Pretty poor overall, and I love big band :(

And SSB4 main theme is seriously lacking, not the fault of this concert, its the fault of the theme in general. It's like they are not even trying. This and the game's name (and some other aspects, but that's for another time) don't give me the same confidence as when I was watching all the media of melee and brawl, it's like that epic and fun spark in presentation is absent totally from the 4th installment. Hope im wrong though.

So, overall I liked it of course but the Mario & Zelda Big Band concert is still superior to me.
The performance and quality is closer to the event that was in... 2011 IIRC (before the 3DS came out and Nintendo did an event to show it in Tokyo).
Adapting music to the big band style requires some work and not all music fits it well.
Also, the Brawl theme by Uematsu is still superior to the Smash WiiU/3DS one. I prefere Melee too, and even the first Smash music in fact.
Anyway, region locking was lame as usual. And as usual this material will likely never be reused. IMO it should be available on eShop somehow.

And idk if Sakai is my new hero or just weirdo. He's like living with a dozen of cats or maybe he is a cat himself.

Top Bottom