• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland: 2 killed in stabbing on MAX train as man directs slurs at Muslim women

I have friends in Portland who are not white and ride this train all the time. They are now terrified to walk outside from now on.

That's the thing. People have to talk down people like this in Portland all the time. And usually the person verbally attacking is someone who has no control over their own life and has decided that attacking others gives them some kind of power or control. And there are a lot of these kinds of people and the physical attacks are getting fairly frequent. I just know my friends are scared, and I'm scared for them. I hope they stay safe. I hope I never get up one day to hear they've been stabbed on the way to work or back home.

Hmm, people are terrified now of due to this man's actions and others like him. What is the phrase for this? I mean its on the tip of my tongue. Mental Illness? Is that it?

gblues

Banned
I mean, a lady got stabbed at the stop before this one LAST Friday, too.

A lot of people ride public transit in this city, and a lot of us have seen/heard/yelled at/been yelled at some belligerent asshole who thinks the train (or the bus) is their open mic. There are a lot of people who are basically dealing with the idea right now that yelling "shut up" or putting themselves between some poor woman and some ranting dickhead won't just end in maybe some jostling and a disgruntled stomp off.

People aren't having to go too far to put themselves in these men's shoes. They've been in them already. And they're all imagining themselves doing the right thing and dying senselessly for it.

A single terrorist occupied space thousands of us occupy on a daily basis. He was accosted by three upstanding citizens on behalf of two women who did nothing but exist in public. Two of them died, horribly, for that.

It's hard to deal with.

This this this.

I take the MAX daily and I'm freaking out over this because this could easily have been me getting murdered.

Meanwhile, at Trimet, they building a jail to hold fare evaders. It's infuriating.

Usobuko

Banned
Rip.

Rise of white supremacy is shitty for everyone, including the sane white folks who may have acted in situation like this.

As expected, like most white supremacists, he is ugly as sin.

1495892197-screen_shot_2017-05-27_at_6.00.07_am_360.png

God fucking dammit

Shredderi

How the hell did he knife them? Most of the time it seems like knife victims survive because it's actually not as easy as you'd think to just outright kill people with a knife when you do it in a hurry, especially two guys at the same time.

But yeah, I wouldn't risk confronting a crazy person for this exact reason, unless they were already physically violent.

Lulubop

How the hell did he knife them? Most of the time it seems like knife victims survive because it's actually not as easy as you'd think to just outright kill people with a knife when you do it in a hurry, especially two guys at the same time.

But yeah, I wouldn't risk confronting a crazy person for this exact reason, unless they were already physically violent.

It says he slit their throat.

Rip to these two heroes. Awful.

akira28

start carrying stun guns. drop em and keep moving.

Oregon being racist as hell doesn't help much either.

lots of anti-muslim rhetoric seems to fetishize the cutting of throats. I would have to wonder if that affected the attacker's actions as well.

Bulk_Rate

Someone will the instant, unrestrained will to kill vs someone who doesn't immediately realize how dangerous their situation is. I would have fared no better FWIW.

lots of anti-muslim rhetoric seems to fetishize the cutting of throats. I would have to wonder if that affected the attacker's actions as well.

It's not that easy, sadly, especially in close quarters like this train. People have to talk down assholes like this guy every day on the MAX and there's only a couple feet between them if that. You can't pull out a stun gun, gun, or any means of defense fast enough to do anything. At most, after you've been stabbed and are disoriented from the pain and shock you'll accidentally hurt the wrong person.

The best bet you have is to treat every such instance as if the person will pull a knife/gun on you, and be prepared to defend yourself immediately, but pulling out any sort of weapon in defense is nearly impossible to do effectively in the situation. It's one of the worst situations you can end up in. The odds are totally against you if you're the defender.

Derwind

1495892197-screen_shot_2017-05-27_at_6.00.07_am_360.png

God fucking dammit

I don't know if he's been charged with anything yet but he basically walk, talks and acts like a terrorist, just a white supremacists flavour of terrorism. I know it's too much to ask but got damn it a deranged piece of shit like him really needs to face the brunt of the reality of what he's done and be charged with it.

This country is literally fostering this type of behaviour straight from the highest office in America.

R.I.P. to those that fell victim to this vile piece of shits backwards ideology.

The man has a fucking manifesto and everything.

Two Words

If this man was Islamic and killed people defending christians, we'd have "TERRORISM STRIKES IN PORTLAND" on all of the news networks. Of course, the media chooses to simply define terrorism as only an Islamic extremist issue when reporting.

"All...who don't follow Christs teachings of Love, Forgiveness, Charity"

got to be kidding me.

Fuck this bastard. Hope he rots in prison for life and worse

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Realized today that I probably would have been on that train had I not worked from home.

Ordered 2 cans of pepper gel today.

God fucking dammit

Imagine if a radical Islamist made the same post with the words switched around. They'd be in max security prison and rightfully so. Why do we let white supremacist terrorists speak and assemble freely? They're killing innocent people and wreaking havoc.

Damn, cops really trying to make sure no one thinks there's a white supremacist problem in portland

Do we have an issue with white supremacist in PDX? If we do, then we've gotta stomp it out. I love this city and I want everyone else to love it and feel welcome here.

Jaeger

These small IQ racist pieces of shit are the real terrorist and need to be dropped off on a fucking island somewhere. Identified by their obsession with flags of defeated nations and armies that opposed the United States of America.

Koyuga

Do we have an issue with white supremacist in PDX? If we do, then we've gotta stomp it out. I love this city and I want everyone else to love it and feel welcome here.

We definitely do.

This whole thing has made me super sad and scared. I ride the MAX all the time, and if I saw some shithead treating people like this I'd like to believe I could stand up to that like these two did. This should not have happened to people who were trying to help and stop others from being harassed, the stabbing victims are absolutely heroes, in my opinion.

Nether!

Mental illness doesn't mean murderer.
Why aren't white supremacists classified as a terrorist group?
There's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be.

Piggus

Not sure where you got the idea that Oregon is racist as hell. Maybe in the really rural areas. Racists like this piece of shit find their way into every corner of the country. It's how people stand up to it that says more about the racial climate.

We definitely do.

This whole thing has made me super sad and scared. I ride the MAX all the time, and if I saw some shithead treating people like this I'd like to believe I could stand up to that like these two did. This should not have happened to people who were trying to help and stop others from being harassed, the stabbing victims are absolutely heroes, in my opinion.

Damn. What can we do to stop this problem?

I take the Max everyday as well and would've done the same thing.

I really hope this does not "inspire" other shitheads. The stabbings have been aweful, my girl friends coworker was stabbed and died recently. She's really scared about me on the max now, I'm not sure what to do.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure where you got the idea that Oregon is racist as hell. Maybe in the really rural areas.

http://www.wweek.com/uncategorized/...n-hate-incidents-shows-oregon-at-top-of-list/

And it's not just the rural areas. Reed college had incidents, "freedom of speech" rally in montavilla, yesterday's killings in Hollywood, a grand wizard of the KKK setting up shop in Vancouver, WA.

From what I've gathered, there used to be a large racist skinhead presence here. their either more comfortable discussing their ideologies, or they're getting reactivated. The latter is my guess as to why the KKK moved back so close.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"All...who don't follow Christs teachings of Love, Forgiveness, Charity"

got to be kidding me.

Fuck this bastard. Hope he rots in prison for life and worse

He will be embraced by a white supremacist gang in most large prisons. Oregon has a pretty weird Nazi and biker gang thing going on.

GoFundMe page for victims' famlies.

Tweeted out by official gofundme account so should be legit.

I get upset that in my country which loves crowing about its greatness that we have to raise money for victims because of our evil stupid healthcare system.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
He will be embraced by a white supremacist gang in most large prisons. Oregon has a pretty weird Nazi and biker gang thing going on.

He already was. He's got a long record. Also has a scar on his face from where a cop grazed him with a bullet.

The prison system is fucked. I knew a guy in Cleveland that spent his teenage years hanging out with black folks and latinos. Went to prison, came out racist. Any pretense of rehabilitation or correction is complete and utter bullshit.

gblues

Banned
Not sure where you got the idea that Oregon is racist as hell. Maybe in the really rural areas. Racists like this piece of shit find their way into every corner of the country. It's how people stand up to it that says more about the racial climate.

Oregon was literally created to be a haven for white people, and had racism codified into its constitution--black people were constitutionally forbidden until 1926.

So yeah, racism is a vein that runs deep in Oregon. :(

Opto

Banned
Mental illness doesn't mean murderer.
Why aren't white supremacists classified as a terrorist group?
There's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be.

DOJ and FBI weren't vocal about it too much in the Obama years, but they were always at the top of the "watch out for this shit" list.

But now with Trump and Sessions, they've gleefully axed that kind of thinking

Top Bottom