• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Rumor: Battlefield 4 details leak from EA China [Up: Seemingly Real]

Yep, hope the DICE devs on here at least see that.

Commander mode, three factions, battlerecorder and 64 players on consoles, 1080p & 60fps sounds terrible? What?

Dude, 1 year development cycle? Dumbing down for the COD crowd? No amount of players, pixels or frames is gonna make that shit tolerable.

Yep, hope the DICE devs on here at least see that.

Commander mode, three factions, battlerecorder and 64 players on consoles, 1080p & 60fps sounds terrible? What?

and female soldiers!

Dude, 1 year development cycle

BF3 development spent most of the time with writing the engine. This time they already have the engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dude, 1 year development cycle? Dumbing down for the COD crowd? No amount of players, pixels or frames is gonna make that shit tolerable.
It's already been over a year since BF3, I wouldn't be too worried about that first one.

If you took that literally it would mean they showed everyone something that was 2-3 months in development last week.

Tagg9

Battlefield 3 took so long because they were building a new engine and assets. BF4 undoubtedly has been in pre-production since BF3 came out - the "1 year dev cycle" refers to ramped up production.

The game was shown to retailers a few weeks ago. There's no way that they had the game in a presentable state after only a few months of work.

/edit: *Sigh* Beaten...

Saying they cant do a competent single player is a cop out IMO.

There's no reason they cant get a decent writer to pen an awesome campaign.

I just don't go to BF games for single player.

I enjoyed BF1942 back in the day when the single player was basically going through all of the battles of WWII in chronological order with bots. Just being able to play the maps with bots to practice would be good enough for me with single player.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Even 2 years seems like a pretty short time for a game of Battlefields scope.
2002 Battlefield 1942
2004 Battlefield Vietnam
2005 Battlefield 2
2006 Battlefield 2142
2008 Battlefield: Bad Company
2010 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
2011 Battlefield 3
2013 Battlefield 4

They better scrap the bullshit party voice chat system for PC.

You should be able to talk to anyone in your squad when you join a server, not have to start a fucking "party" game. Nobody I know plays BF3, so I can't join party games. That means I'm running around every match trying to type shit to my squad on a keyboard and dying immediately. There's no communication, no collaboration; everyone is just running around by themselves. It completely defeats the purpose of a squad.

DICE's excuse for this dumbass system in BF3 was that it's better because chat is persistent, but that's bullshit because PC players already had a million 3rd party programs available if they wanted persistent chat.

No_Style

I've said before but I forsee a UT2K3 -> UT2K4 scenario where they build upon on what they've done in BF3. I'm not expecting a huge leap, just lots of refinement which is okay by me.

Biggzy

2002 Battlefield 1942
2004 Battlefield Vietnam
2005 Battlefield 2
2006 Battlefield 2142
2011 Battlefield 3
2013 Battlefield 4

Need to keep on quoting this when people think 2 years is short for a Battlefield game. DICE are a phenomenally productive studio.

RoKKeR

Even 2 years seems like a pretty short time for a game of Battlefields scope.
Not even close.

Edit: Nirolak got it. As Biggzy said, DICE is a large and talented studio. They can churn out fantastic games with great time. It's never been an issue for them before, and I doubt it will be for BF4.

2002 Battlefield 1942
2004 Battlefield Vietnam
2005 Battlefield 2
2006 Battlefield 2142
2011 Battlefield 3
2013 Battlefield 4

Well I must be wearing orthopedic shoes, because I stand corrected.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Need to keep on quoting this when people think 2 years is short for a Battlefield game. DICE are a phenomenally productive studio.

They also had spent the equivalent of 20 years building Frostbite 2's toolchain by 2010 with efficiency primarily in mind (it actually got more employee time put into it than any other engine feature) so I'm sure they can make content quite efficiently these days to boot.

DICE is also a very large dev studio. They have the resources.
Yes they're 300 people now IIRC.

kuYuri

As mentioned before, they should really add a vehicle training mode within MP. Even Homefront MP had this on PC for goodness sake.

I've said before but I forsee a UT2K3 -> UT2K4 scenario where they build upon on what they've done in BF3. I'm not expecting a huge leap, just lots of refinement which is okay by me.

Yea if they can add on stuff like commander and such, all good. Also hopefully launch with good maps. Bf3 launched with mediocre to bad maps, but the dlc maps have all restored my faith in their ability to make fun maps.

DICE should call this came Battletits 4 and the cover would be a hot chick in camo short shorts and sports top holding up an RPG-7 with tanks and helicopters in the background.

Seriously though, I LOVE Battlefield 3, the only shoot-bang multiplayer I enjoy and it will be interesting to see the reactions to having female troops.
Good litmus test for a player's maturity.

EDIT:

2002 Battlefield 1942
2004 Battlefield Vietnam
2005 Battlefield 2
2006 Battlefield 2142
2011 Battlefield 3
2013 Battlefield 4

HOLY SHIT!! Remember when they made that FPS with near-zero gunplay that was about running and jumping on beautiful rooftops like Spider-man and had that portal song?

Biggzy

They also had spent the equivalent of 20 years building Frostbite 2's toolchain by 2010 with efficiency primarily in mind (it actually got more employee time put into it than any other engine feature) so I'm sure they can make content quite efficiently these days to boot.

DICE is also a very large dev studio. They have the resources.

People should relax over the 2 year development period for Battlefield 4. Dice has the resources and the talent to pull it off.

64 player count for next gen consoles, all over my face dice ohhhh yeah.

Don't forget 60 fps, if this rumor is true.

Don't forget about microtransactions

If they repair what was wrong with BF3, ill buy it a year or so post-release. BF3 conquest was shit though, so I have huge doubts.

RoKKeR

Don't forget about microtransactions

I've never understood people's whining when it comes to microtransactions. They are optional, and are there for those who want to shell out the cash for them. What's the issue? If anything, microtransactions in BF4 will be things like dogtags or weapon camos.

RetroStu

Banned
Make it multiplayer-only, and I'll bite. But most likely they will waste resources on another terrible single-player campaign.

People still do play single player games you know, i know its so 90's and all that but many people still do including me, in fact i much prefer a varied story driven campaign over running around maps shooting people then get shot and respawn and do it all again.

DTKT

People still do play single player games you know, i know its so 90's and all that but many people still do including me, in fact i much prefer a varied story driven campaign over running around maps shooting people then get shot and respawn and do it all again.

Even when that SP is terrible and adds nothing to the game? It might be better in BF4 but they don't have a good track record.

Biggzy

DICE need to step-up their game for the single player, it was lackluster in BF3.

Bigjelly

Banned

You should be able to talk to anyone in your squad when you join a server, not have to start a fucking "party" game. Nobody I know plays BF3, so I can't join party games. That means I'm running around every match trying to type shit to my squad on a keyboard and dying immediately. There's no communication, no collaboration; everyone is just running around by themselves. It completely defeats the purpose of a squad.

DICE's excuse for this dumbass system in BF3 was that it's better because chat is persistent, but that's bullshit because PC players already had a million 3rd party programs available if they wanted persistent chat.

This... #1 Reason I stopped playing it and got sucked into COD at least randoms could attempt to communicate and set up some basic strategy.

Bigjelly

Banned
I've never understood people's whining when it comes to microtransactions. They are optional, and are there for those who want to shell out the cash for them. What's the issue? If anything, microtransactions in BF4 will be things like dogtags or weapon camos.

Or it could be for double XP, or improved armor etc... Microtransaction have no space in a paid retail copy of anything.

True that. I wasn't necessarily complaining, It really doesnt make much of a difference in cases of camos and that decorative stuff. I just felt like pointing it out. I guess it was implied that I hate it. I kinda do, but not enough to drive me angry. Overall, you're pretty much correct.

As long as it doesnt become "pay to win" or whatever. They're smart enough to avoid that, I think.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
In brief, they offer financial incentives for bad game design.

KingKong

So this is really going to be a modern military setting?

I don't understand why they don't want to make it sci-fi:
a) people love science fiction settings, just look at Mass Effect and Halo sales
b) it would differentiate the game from Call of Duty

Yep. This is why I stopped playing.

A game focused ok teamwork yet you take away the biggest element for communication.

a) people love science fiction settings, just look at Mass Effect and Halo sales

the sci-fi setting is used as much as the modern imo. There isnt a single setting that is unique these days.

CoD audience bro...

KingKong

the sci-fi setting is used as much as the modern imo. There isnt a single setting that is unique these days.

Doesn't matter if it's unique or not, it's about what you can do with gameplay

With modern style you have your standard weapons and standard vehicles. You dont have jetpacks, low gravity, railguns, spaceships, mechs...

Chronos24

I take it wiiu won't be seeing this game as well? Sorry if asked before but I don't feel like sifting through pages

Gorillaz

Sci Fi was basically murdered all through last gen and early this gen. When CoD4 went modern it was like a breath of fresh air at the time.

RoKKeR

iWK7UTgArm37t.jpg

Shanghai skyline to the right of the soldier, which all but confirms China as a faction or factor in this game. Looks like the leak is shaping up to be fairly accurate.

Top Bottom