• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing speedrunner completes entire game in less than one day

Animal Crossing is one of those games that can be a total, hundred-plus hour time sink. That’s what makes this record-setting speedrun so impressive: It took one streamer just under a full day of playing to reach 100 percent completion.

Completing Animal Crossing is defined by collecting every item; finding all fish, fossils, bugs and gyroids; upgrading your entire house and Tom Nook’s store; donating every possible item to the museum; collecting all villager statues; and building the town’s extra bridge. For Twitch streamer Coldeggman, doing all of this took a breezy 22 hours, 49 minutes.

The original Animal Crossing on GameCube lets players input special passwords to help unlock many of these items and make some extra cash, which is a big part of how Coldeggman was able to complete the game so quickly. We can chalk up this speedrun to how fast the streamer was able to type those codes in — making this not necessarily the most riveting watch, but a huge achievement nonetheless.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/24/15407182/animal-crossing-speedrun-100-percent

Megatron

Do mike tyson's punchout speed runners just type in the password to get to Tyson and count that? Do Metroid speed runners start by typing Justin Baily? I personally dont count this. I would count constantly resetting your clock, but thats all.

Oh that's pretty-

The original Animal Crossing on GameCube lets players input special passwords to help unlock many of these items and make some extra cash, which is a big part of how Coldeggman was able to complete the game so quickly.

Never mind. Still requires a lot of practice to complete it in such a short amount of time, but eh, I wouldn't watch it.

giphy.gif

Fancolors

Do mike tyson's punchout speed runners just type in the password to get to Tyson and count that? Do Metroid speed runners start by typing Justin Baily? I personally dont count this. I would count constantly resetting your clock, but thats all.
Depends on the categories established by the speedrunning community for the game. Typically you get Any% (just beat the game the fastest way possible), 100% and glitchless. In the case of Punch Out games you have leaderboards for full completion of the game and sepated ones for individual fighters, and some miscellaneous ones such as the blindfolded categories.

Is there a copypasta for these question? Every time someone discusses speedrunning on the internet the same things are asked.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Now let's see an Animal Crossing New Leaf speedrun.

Which in theory would have the quickest time of 500 hours to get the playtime achievement, but the game is rather picky about what time is considered playtime towards that achievement (some say time on the island doesn't count), so it could take even longer.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Guys I beat Far Cry 4 in 15 minutes I just sat at the fucking table instead of playing and then the credits rolled

Stopdoor

I haven't looked at it yet, but I'd think RNG would just be too massive for Animal Crossing? I wouldn't think you could use codes for rare Fish and Bugs and the spawning of those is just a random slog, I thought.

Polygoon said:
We can chalk up this speedrun to how fast the streamer was able to type those codes in — making this not necessarily the most riveting watch, but a huge achievement nonetheless.
Yes, this is an enormous achievement for mankind! We are one step closer to the Gods themselves.

KarmaCow

How much of it is literally just putting in codes? I can appreciate efficient menuing but getting all the furniture must be the vast majority of a 100% run.

Top Bottom