• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Montana US House Special Election Thread [GOP Hold]

Mr. RPG

Today there is a special election for the single US House seat in Montana. Taking back the house and senate is paramount. Today's outcome could be the beginning of a revolution for Democrats if Rob Quist, the Democratic candidate, wins.

A few important things to note:

Here is some background information on the political climate in Montana:

While Montana hasn't elected a Democrat to the House in two decades, Democrats have had good success in both the local and state level. Montana just recently reelected their Democratic governor and they also have a Democratic senator. Democrats have actually controlled the governorship in Montana for over 10 years now and until just recently controlled both senate seats.

This election is hard to judge and predict for a variety of reasons. The republican candidate who just lost the gubernatorial election just recently assaulted a reporter the day before the election. There have been very few polls conducted for this election and it being a special election for an open seat makes it more difficult to predict.

This isn't a sure win for Republicans. If a similar drop in turn out occurs like in the Kansas and Georgia elections we have had this year, then Quist should win. I'll post more analysis about this election throughout the day.

giphy.gif

Neoweee

The Republican probably wins today, given how big early voting is in the state. Day-of voters would probably need a substantial swing based on the violent assault for Quist to come through with a win.

chekhonte

I suppose that this is the right thread to ask.

What politics podcasts do you people listen to? I'm aware of that many. All I have are NPR politics, fivethirtyeight. Those two don't really cover enough.

Xe4

Banned
I'd say that the Republicans body slammed their chances of winning out the window
LOL, there's a greater than 50% chance of him winning, and if he does, all that will further confirm to me is that America deserves to be thrown in the god damn trash.

studyguy

The unfortunate thing that the majority of the ballots have gone in already by mail sucks. All the same if things were polling as tight as they were, one can hope same day ballots can swing it, but nothing is assured atm. The papers have all rescinded their endorsements of Gianforte and all major networks were basically covering the assault 24/7, so it's not like the word hasn't gotten around.

All the same I expect if he wins, there will be a narrative of "Republicans invincible!" or some such deal when really it's just a matter of things being decided before the assault occurred.

I'd say that the Republicans body slammed their chances of winning out the window

He's probably still going to win. I don't believe there's enough time for the CBO report of the assault to shift the vote to the democrat. Hope I'm wrong.

I feel better about the Georgia special election.

Xe4

Banned

What politics podcasts do you people listen to? I'm aware of that many. All I have are NPR politics, fivethirtyeight. Those two don't really cover enough.

Washington Week on PBS is a show, but comes with a really good podcast (just the audio of the show), as it's just people talking really.

Keepin it 1600 is pretty good, though a bit more bias than NPR, PBS and fivethirtyeight.

Really looking forward to the next Farcry.

lol, in a more sane world I would've joked the assault was viral marketing.

Honestly, I'm not sure even that would stop a GOP candidate in some parts of this country.
160125114628-donald-trump-quote-shoot-somebody-medium-plus-169.jpg

kris.

Banned

my rotation right now consists of Pod Save America, NPR Politics, FiveThirtyEight, NYT's The Daily, and Left Right & Center.

i hope Montanans show up today after what happened last night.

The Republican probably wins today, given how big early voting is in the state. Day-of voters would probably need a substantial swing based on the violent assault for Quist to come through with a win.

You have it backwards. Early voting favors Democrats, day of favors GOP

Drakeon

Pod Save America is fantastic if you're looking for one for liberals/Democrats.

Note: Even if Democrats lose this by 1-5% it will still be a MASSIVE shift to Democrats

A loss is still a loss. Maybe taking the seat four or six more years from now isn't a comforting consolation with the urgency of today's political climate.

I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree, but the left needs wins now. No amount of "it was closer than ever before" assuages the agony of constant defeat.

Any of the Podcasts from Crooked Media (Pod Save America, Pod Save the World, Pod Save the People, With Friends Like These) and Chapo Trap House. Although Chapo isn't strictly politics - at least not as strict as I'd prefer.

Iksenpets

Banned
You have it backwards. Early voting favors Democrats, day of favors GOP

Also, early voters are mostly hard partisans who couldn't have been swayed either way. The people voting on Election Day are also the people most likely to be swayed by something like this.

DonShula

I'm going to be very disappointed if Greg The Body wins today. If a dude with a lot of money, Russia ties, and no decorum can assault a journalist and still be elected, the GOP voters are far dumber than I expected. The whole "where's our jobs?" is one thing, but this ignorant shit is entirely something else. Physically hurting people you don't agree with is not something anyone should do, let alone an elected official.

I'm preparing to be very disappointed.

A loss is still a loss. Maybe taking the seat four or six more years from now isn't a comforting consolation with the urgency of today's political climate.

I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree, but the left needs wins now. Now amount of "it was closer than ever before" assuages the agony of constant defeat.

Dems just flipped two red State seats that have never had Democrats elected

I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree, but the left needs wins now. Now amount of "it was closer than ever before" assuages the agony of constant defeat.

Because these special elections keep happening in +15-20 R regions where winning was always a long shot. These wins aren't going to happen "now," but they still show dramatic shifts in the electorate that should be looked at positively. Because if this district is reduced to an R+5 from an R+20, and we apply that shift to the entire country, the Democrats take the house and actually stand a chance at the senate in 2018.

Dems just flipped two red State seats that have never had Democrats elected

State seats are good, obviously. I don't mean to undermine the necessity of local politics.

But they're small potatoes when so much is currently in jeopardy on a federal level, you know? These smaller victories will feel a lot bigger and better when they supplement wins like Quist or Ossoff.

RC0101

Yeah, BlastProcessing had a good post about it in the other thread.

I still think Quist is leading the early vote, although by a very small margin.
He has had the momentum the last few weeks I would say. Having Bernie here I think really helped him.

Steejee

Shame you can't rescind your vote. Given how much of Montana votes by mail and early, this election could already be decided. If the assault had been a few days ago, maybe that would have been when it would have really had an impact.

RPGCrazied

So the guy is an Independent? Don't know who is, but he is the opponent of the violent Republican. Automatically would get my vote.

daveo42

Banned
I think the hope now is that he's forced out of office after being found guilty of misdemeanor assault. All the extra hubbub in the press over the election itself is far more for show than an actual push to keep him from being elected. More like a push towards pulling out of the race before things get worse for him.

Not that it'll happen.

Top Bottom