• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Theoretically, they learned their lesson form Ludevic. What happened there was, they designed a bunch of faceless partner cards then pigeon-holed known characters in after the fact. That's why Ludevic feels so disconnected with what we knew about him beforehand. I have to imagine they've learned from that mistake and won't make it again going forward.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I won't be able to. I hope the card is a flavor homerun. I really do. But until I see it, I'm skeptical it will be.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I won't be able to. I hope the card is a flavor homerun. I really do. But until I see it, I'm skeptical it will be.

I mean, C16 had eight other legends that were existing story characters and they were all pretty spot-on.... they make weird inexplicable fuck-ups occasionally but their hit rate is much better than their miss rate on these.

Card Boy

Banned
Werewolfs should be the best tribe but it's still one of the worst. SOI and EM gave it a boost but it needs more. According to EDHRec Cephalid, Kavu, Advisor decks are the worst tribes. Surprisingly Wolfs, Assassins, Ogres, Shades and Kors are not favoured aswell.

https://edhrec.com/tribes for more.

Ashodin

Also fraying sanity deck is complete. Taking it to standard showdown here in CA (on vacation).

I'll be in Newark, CA this Friday Saturday

alternade

If it's CLERICS my hype goes supernova
Me too! My favorite deck I'm playing right now is Tymna and Ravos partner clerics. It's such an underrated tribe with alot of synergy and lore. The only problem is that many of the creatures are either small or have linear effects that don't further you in the game.

I'm hoping they go Abzan. Many green clerics I would love to have in the deck.

traveler

Not Wario
Clerics is a weird choice as the 4th tribe alongside Vampires specifically; I feel like there'd be quite a bit of overlap both in cards and thematically.

Jhriad

I'd like to believe that a Vampire deck would mean a reprint of Bloodghast finally but it's probably out grown the acceptable value Wizards would put in a supplemental product.

DrArchon

Praying that Vampires are Mardu and not just straight RB. There's a couple of cool WB vamps out there that I wouldn't mind using (namely some of the BfZ ones and Blood Baron of Vizkopa).

Granted, if slot 4 really is Clerics it'd be weird for Vampires to be Mardu. Then all 4 decks would have white in them.

DrArchon

Come to think of it, it makes no sense than none of these commander decks would feature blue significantly. You have 5 color dragons featuring blue tangentially, WG cats, and either Mardu or Rakdos Vamps (I really can't see it being Grixis). If the final one turns out to be Clerics, then blue really gets fucked over.

Could it be Blue Wizards? I know Azami is a thing and is pretty much the paragon of Wizard tribal commanders, but still.

OnPoint

I mean, C16 had eight other legends that were existing story characters and they were all pretty spot-on.... they make weird inexplicable fuck-ups occasionally but their hit rate is much better than their miss rate on these.

I can agree with this.

I guess the question is this then: If WotC is into giving the fans what they want with this product, what colors would Edgar theoretically be? Perhaps I don't have my fingers on the pulse of the median Edgar fan, but I don't see him as Grixis.

My predictions for these:
5C Dragons (basically confirmed)
GW Cats (basically confirmed)
BW Clerics (seems reasonable)
RB Vampires

Covers the whole color pie.

jph139

Yeah, can't say I'm personally excited for any of those tribes - Dragons and Vampires are kind of cliche, and while Cats are interesting they're not something I'm gonna try and hunt down. Clerics are a snooze but I'm not 100% sure that's what the last deck is.

Will probably just grab any interesting singles from this round.

the cat commander is godlike because there's finally a reason to play one of these anywhere.
19.jpg

DrArchon

I think one of the reasons I'm down on the possibilities of the final deck being Clerics is that we just got two really good Cleric commanders, and you can use them together.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

I mean, doesn't this combo basically do everything that you want a Cleric commander to do? It lets you keep casting your cheap creatures over and over again when they die (or if you sacrifice them for effects), it makes them more threatening in combat a little, it rewards you for gaining life by letting you draw cards, like seriously I can't imagine what a new single card Cleric commander would bring to the table that could be more interesting or more useful than what they two do together.

Santiako

My predictions for these:
5C Dragons (basically confirmed)
GW Cats (basically confirmed)
BW Clerics (seems reasonable)
RB Vampires

Covers the whole color pie.

The dragons deck covers the whole pie. The last deck has to have blue in it, so I can't see it being BW Clerics.

Santiako

I just don't see blue fitting into any of those.

Besides, blue could use a break :p

I can see the last one being Wizards or Rogues, both of which are heavily blue.

EDIT: Of course they could go with Grixis Vampires for some reason and then make the last one BW Clerics or something like that.

OnPoint

I can see the last one being Wizards or Rogues, both of which are heavily blue.

EDIT: Of course they could go with Grixis Vampires for some reason and then make the last one BW Clerics or something like that.

They could make Grixis Vampires and still have Edgar be RB. So that could work.

Korgill

I am hoping for some Ally or Human love in the last one. I don't really care if it's clerics or wizards or some third thing as long as they are Human Allies.

red13th

I think the faces of the decks will be the deck's colours. It makes no sense having a RB vampire as the face of a Grixis deck since you wouldn't be able to play it as the commander of the deck straight out of the box.

DrArchon

I am hoping for some Ally or Human love in the last one. I don't really care if it's clerics or wizards or some third thing as long as they are Human Allies.

I expect a ton of humans in whatever the final deck is, but probably not Allies. I can't see them tying the whole deck down to one plane. Could be some reprints though, but I'm not up to date on which allies are in high enough demand to warrant reprinting.

jph139

I'd be happy to get some cool utility creatures that just happen to be Allies - like Bruse Tarl and the other lady from last year's. Wouldn't need to factor the whole mechanic into things.

alternade

I think well get

BWG Clerics - Allies/Human and Wizard subtheme
URB Vampires - Warrior and Berserker subtheme

I really want to see if they make new lands though. Land base if one of the few things that makes it hard to play 3 and now 4 color decks efficiently. Command Tower is great but we need a few more cards like it to balance out decks that don't have access to duals, filters, etc. Maybe its time for Tribal lands?

Yeef

If we do get Mardu Vampires and WB(x) Clerics, that would mean that every single deck is white. I'd imagine that, even though dragons is 5-color, it skews RG.

DrArchon

If we do get Mardu Vampires and WB(x) Clerics, that would mean that every single deck is white. I'd imagine that, even though dragons is 5-color, it skews RG.

One of the new Dragons is that Jund Cat Dragon, right? Could be skewed towards Jund with that as a sort of secondary mascot commander for players who just want to cut the handful of white and blue cards.

noquarter

Vampires already has 2 Grixis already has two Vampire commanders, Mardu doesn't have one yet. Sorin, the face of Vampires can't really be played in a Vampire tribal deck unless you cut red, which is the other Vampire color.

Blue also hasn't had a Vampire in years, where as they just printed a couple BW vampires. Really think Mardu would be the choice for Vampire tribal, but knowing Wizards they will go with Grixis, because...

Yeef

Negate and Essence Scatter are fine at common so why can't Lightning Strike be common?
Negate and Essence Scatter can't end the game in high numbers.

I would disagree that Lightning Strike is too good for common as a blanket statement though; it very much depends on the format. I think the faster the format, the better lightning Strike gets, so it'd likely be way too good in the current limited format.

I think they messed up designing the cat commander. The Ur Dragon strikes the right balance between being good in the commandzone and better in play once you are able to cast it.
The cat lord on the other hand is better in the command zone and you'll never want to play it. There's 47 cats with cmc less than 3 and a few great ones for 3 mana. That's all you need for a real mean aggro deck.

One of the new Dragons is that Jund Cat Dragon, right? Could be skewed towards Jund with that as a sort of secondary mascot commander for players who just want to cut the handful of white and blue cards.

Well, the other new legend in that deck is Taigam who's just blue-white, so maybe they just wanted to give a couple different options for how to break it dowjn.

I really want to see if they make new lands though.

I was going to say "don't they always?" but I didn't realize until just now that C16 broke the streak of adding a new Commander-specific land or mana rock each year.

I used to have this super fun Vampire deck for 60 card table top Magic.
I remember it being pretty brutal especially after Captivating Vampire took control of my opponents creatures.

If they don't reprint Captivating Vampire in the new Commander deck, I imagine he's going to go up a bit in price after the C17 decks release.

He's a Lord, plus he has the ability to take permanent control of your opponents creatures, and turn them into Vampires.

alternade

I was going to say "don't they always?" but I didn't realize until just now that C16 broke the streak of adding a new Commander-specific land or mana rock each year.

Yeah I was surprised at the lack of fixing with the 4C decks. Sure they were balanced because they were all slow lands but that would have been the time for some serious reprints with checklands, filters and painlands.

I would even settle for tribe specific lands like

Catnip Fields
Land - Cat Forest
Catnip Fields comes into play untapped if your commander is in the command zone
~ taps for G or W

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah I was surprised at the lack of fixing with the 4C decks. Sure they were balanced because they were all slow lands but that would have been the time for some serious reprints with checklands, filters and painlands.

I would even settle for tribe specific lands like

Catnip Cove
Land - Cat Island
Catnip Cove comes into play untapped if your commander is in the command zone
~ taps for G or W

This card would have to be templated:

Catnip Cover
Tribal Land - Cat Island

Cat isn't a land type, so you could need Tribal, which is obsolete.

bigkrev

Why don't they just do Legendary Dual Lands with no types in Commander?

Dual Land
Legendary Land
T: add W or U to your mana pool.

Making them legendary means they play great in a singleton format and don't invalidate every other dual in casual 60s, and their lack of fetchability makes them unlikely to see play in Legacy, and still makes the original duals better for EDH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom