• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA SP AGS-101 for $60, Do I do it?!?

Conezays

Well I'm glad I did it. Picked up this bad boy for $60. Case and screen are in way better shape than I expected. It looks to be an original 001 with a screen swap. Pic looks like screen isn't uniform in brightness but it's just the lighting in the room.

You guys weren't kidding about the backlight... the screen looks so nice. I never had the AGS-101, so this is quite impressive to me. Now to start building a collection for this.

Looks great! I just grabbed one as well and very impressed with the screen; I used to have a launch GBA but never had the AGS 101. Mine was $70 CDN plus shipping.

IMG_9117.jpg

I've kind of been wanting one lately, but have held off because I have the Gameboy adaptor for Gamecube and have an original DS around here somewhere. If I didn't have either of those, I'd grab one in a second!

TheExodu5

Banned
Is there any real reason to use this over a DS Lite for GBA games?

I assume the main reason is for playing backlit GB/GBC games?

Been hard to catch a good quality one on eBay for less than $80. Tempted to find a real beaten up one with a working screen and swap it into an aftermarket shell.

TheFuzz

Exactly what I was going to say.

In Japan DS Lites are like 2500 yen $25 and has a GBA slot.

Main reason I bought it... also if you hate black bars maybe? I'm a fan of the hardware and it's backward compatibility, though. This and a 3DS gives you access to every Nintendo handheld game pretty much.

Stopdoor

Looks great! I just grabbed one as well and very impressed with the screen; I used to have a launch GBA but never had the AGS 101. Mine was $70 CDN plus shipping.

IMG_9117.jpg

You sure this is an AGS-101 screen? Like I guess it'd be obvious, but usually the backlit screens are black rather than grey when turned off.

Is there any real reason to use this over a DS Lite for GBA games?

I assume the main reason is for playing backlit GB/GBC games?

Yeah, backlit GB/GBC games and the DS also can't do link cable stuff. Multiplayer and GameCube connections like Four Swords Adventures.

fireflame

Best prices i can find here for an ags 101 are around 80-100 euros minimum, and this is really a miimum. 60 is a good deal. Black screen + label usually prove it is an ags101, though some people may change labels to make you believe it is an ags 101.

A while back I bought an OG GBA modded with the backlit screen. Really satisfied with the purchase, I like the form factor a lot more than the SP.

Good choice, OP. I have a black one which I use to play and a green one new in box which is a backup in case the black one ever dies on me.

Also have a Peagles-nodded OG GBA with a 101 screen and a Micro. The Micro is my least favourite, it's too small, but I like to keep it cos it looks nice.

Jimrpg

Main reason I bought it... also if you hate black bars maybe? I'm a fan of the hardware and it's backward compatibility, though. This and a 3DS gives you access to every Nintendo handheld game pretty much.

The GBA and 3DS is a pretty clever combination to own.

TheFuzz

The GBA and 3DS is a pretty clever combination to own.

Yep. With how busy things are I've gravitated towards handhelds as I've gotten older. With those two, you get amazing catalogs and probably the biggest back-catalogue ever since they're both backwards-compatible.

TheFuzz

I'll ask here too, but does the SP speaker sort of "distort" or sound odd at max volume with certain notes or sounds? It's not continuous, but I can definitely tell there is a little something odd when maxed out and when certain music or sounds play.

I didn't know if there was a notorious issue with the SP speaker.

cireza

My experience with two AGS-101 has been disappointing.

I am pretty sure than when compared to the AGS-001 SP or my GBA Micro, some color gradient simply disappear (because the stuff is too bright, contrast is too high).

CazTGG

My experience with two AGS-101 has been disappointing.

I am pretty sure than when compared to the AGS-001 SP or my GBA Micro, some color gradient simply disappear (because the stuff is too bright, contrast is too high).

Most early games for the system were designed with high contrast to counter the lack of a backlight in the original Game Boy Advance, thus it stands out more when viewed on an SP model.

TheFuzz

I'll ask here too, but does the SP speaker sort of "distort" or sound odd at max volume with certain notes or sounds? It's not continuous, but I can definitely tell there is a little something odd when maxed out and when certain music or sounds play.

I didn't know if there was a notorious issue with the SP speaker.

Anyone?

Great console but I would argue it has been unseated by the hardware backwards compatibility that was unlocked via homebrew on the 3ds.

You can't play your carts of course but you can play games with the ghosting patched out, I have a 101 and a pretty sizeable gba collection but it's pretty hard to go back to after the 3ds.

theclaw135

Banned
Great console but I would argue it has been unseated by the hardware backwards compatibility that was unlocked via homebrew on the 3ds.

You can't play your carts of course but you can play games with the ghosting patched out, I have a 101 and a pretty sizeable gba collection but it's pretty hard to go back to after the 3ds.

That you need homebrew just to fix the color palette, says enough already about what nintendo thinks of gba on 3ds.

You can never go wrong with an AGS-101 screen.

Same here, only with a N3DS XL, 1:1 pixel mode is almost the exact same size of an original GBA, with much better brightness and picture quality (moreso if it's an IPS screen... mine isn't)

I'm surprised Nintendo never put GBA games up for sale on the 3DS eShop, it's native backwards compatibility without the need for emulation, much like DSiWare and Wii games.

How do you do this? I have anew 3ds I would be willing to try this on. Or should this be done on a new 3dsXL rather than just the new 3ds model?

That you need homebrew just to fix the color palette, says enough already about what nintendo thinks of gba on 3ds.

So what if it took some enthusiasts to hack open the hardware backwards compatibility?, that doesn't negate the fact that with some easy patches applied it is vastly superior to playback on an AGS-101.

I love my AGS-101, but it has been gathering dust ever since AGB_FIRM was patched on the 3ds.

theclaw135

Banned
So what if it took some enthusiasts to hack open the hardware backwards compatibility?, that doesn't negate the fact that with some easy patches applied it is vastly superior to playback on an AGS-101.

I love my AGS-101, but it has been gathering dust ever since AGB_FIRM was patched on the 3ds.

Not exactly what I meant. I was criticizing Nintendo's apparent stance on the subject.

How do you do this? I have anew 3ds I would be willing to try this on. Or should this be done on a new 3dsXL rather than just the new 3ds model?
Install Luma CFW, then get the thing that will let you inject your games into the Virtual Console format.

Every 3DS model can do this, I just prefer it on the New XL because of the screen size.

Top Bottom