• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Fencing Manufacturer acts racist, is immediately fired due to petition.

Hopeford

I'm pleasantly surprised about my hobby right now. For some quick background, Scott Harkey is the co-owner of Sword Masters, who are(well, were) the "Official Repair Center/Armorer of USA Fencing."

He posted this:
RHLJPcqxxxInuqh-800x450-noPad.jpg

Followed by doubling down on it once called out, refusing to apologize and being generally...quite confrontational with people, to put it mildly. I'll skip the details, but basically imagine someone doubling down on the above picture with its logical conclusion. It's not the first time he has posted racist things.

Fencers started a petition regarding Sword Masters and to my surprise, USAF actually took it very seriously and immediately severed the contract. Like, I never expect petitions to be successful.

Here's the petition:

On May 24th, 2017, the co-owner of Sword Masters, Scott Harkey, publicly posted to his Facebook account the following status:

"Isn't it nice to have a first lady that's fluent in five languages and not just two... By 2 I mean English and Ebonics."

The intent of this petition has nothing to do with Mr. Harkey's political affiliation; the intent of this petition is rooted in a desire to protect athletes of all ages from the blatant racism Mr. Harkey has displayed.

As we stood together and proudly showed support for our first Muslim American woman to wear a hijab while competing in the Olympics, we must also stand together against allowing anyone who holds racist beliefs to profit from our athletes.

We, the members of the US Fencing Assocation, request the following:

1. That the contract with Sword Masters as the "Official Repair Center/Armorer of USA Fencing" be immediately terminated.

2. That Sword Masters issue a formal and public apology to all POC fencers in the community.

3. In the event that an apology is not forthcoming from Sword Masters, that Sword Masters be immediately and indefinitely banned from vending at any and all USFA sanctioned events.

As the first-ever 2015 recipient of the USOC's "Advancing Diversity and Inclusion Ward", we trust that USA Fencing will act swiftly and sternly to let it be known that racism will not be tolerated at any level.

https://www.change.org/p/a-call-for...ing-and-sword-masters?source_location=minibar

And here's the USAF response:

Effective immediately, Sword Masters LLC is no longer the Official Weapon Repair provider for USA Fencing and will not be serving in that capacity at the USA Fencing National Championships and July Challenge or in advertisements or other media.

A Request for Proposals (RFP) will be made available in the coming weeks to fencing equipment companies who are interested in forming a partnership with USA Fencing beginning with the 2017-18 season.

http://www.usfencing.org/news_article/show/797046?referrer_id=2272806

When this first happened I was actually kind of down that this would happen in the fencing community. Black friend of mine who fences in the US was even more depressed because...yeeeeah. But now I'm just happy that the petition gathered a ridiculous amount of steam and actually led to USAF immediately taking action to keep the sport inclusive happened and like, that's awesome.

I don't know if GAF will care about this since it's about a niche sport, but I'm very pleased with how this was handled and basically needed to talk about it haha.

Hopeford

EDIT: WRONG TYPE OF FENCING

uh, screw that guy. yep

Haha, you should've kept your original post, it was pretty funny and I thought it was intentional!

Oh man did the guy say anything after the contract got cut? Would love to see that.

Couple before this was announced he gave a "I'm sorry you're offended" apology, though I don't know if he knew he had been fired yet. He was cut at 1 AM today, so there's a chance he didn't even know around that time -- USAF basically worked around the clock to react as quickly as possible to set a precedent.

Tagyhag

Lol I first thought of wall fences too.

Very cool of the organization to step up and take that petition seriously. That dude is a dumbass.

That WAS quick! Good on them! I'm glad that it was an actual punishment instead of a slap on the wrist.

Please tell me the guy responded to the termination!

mike6467

I've seen FB posts to this effect and it blows my mind. Glad to see they didn't give him a leg to stand on, you've got to be pretty dense to think posting that is a good idea. Jesus.

That WAS quick! Good on them! I'm glad that it was an actual punishment instead of a slap on the wrist.

Please tell me the guy responded to the termination!

Yes the dude posted this on his facebook:

"I would like to apologize to those of you who have been offended by my comment on facebook. I do accept full responsibility for my comment and ask for you to all forgive me as try to be a better person."

ha ha, enjoy your business going to shit now! Dat backpedal.

blackflag

USA fencing is awesome

Also saw this on facebook

"The co-owner of Swordmaster, a fencing equipment distributor has done it again. He made anti-semetic comments to my face once upon a time. And, now racist comments against our former first Lady. When he was insulting to me, I was not in a position to do much. But, now we have public proof of his racism.

USFA needs to terminate his contract as armorer. Because of his behavior to me in the past, I have been loath to have my students buy from him or have him help them.

He does NOT represent the values of USFA who supports people like Ibti Mohammad, the first US citizen to wear a hajib into competition!

USFA members, over the age of 18, please consider signing this petition!"

Averon

I still don't get why people still think they can say whatever dumb, offensive shit that crosses their mind on social media (usually Twitter) and not think they will soon be jobless.

I cannot count the number of stories over the past several years of idiots showing their asses for all to see and then getting fired.

USA fencing is awesome

Also saw this on facebook

"The co-owner of Swordmaster, a fencing equipment distributor has done it again. He made anti-semetic comments to my face once upon a time. And, now racist comments against our former first Lady. When he was insulting to me, I was not in a position to do much. But, now we have public proof of his racism.

USFA needs to terminate his contract as armorer. Because of his behavior to me in the past, I have been loath to have my students buy from him or have him help them.

He does NOT represent the values of USFA who supports people like Ibti Mohammad, the first US citizen to wear a hajib into competition!

USFA members, over the age of 18, please consider signing this petition!"
They've already fired them and are actively asking for RFPs.

Not the type of fencing combat I engage in (SCA), but I'm all the same happy to hear of this given how every day that type of dialogue seems more and more acceptable in this country.

Shame for any employees there that don't share those views, but hopefully they'll get new and better positions elsewhere when Sword Masters LLC goes rightfully under.

Edit: Or he and his ilk leave the company.

Hopeford

Good. Fuck that racist piece of shit, hope his company goes out of business and he ends up bankrupt.

I don't necessarily want the company to go out of business because there's some good people working there too who suffer from his views more than anybody else. What I do wish is that he'd leave the company.

border

https://www.facebook.com/scott.harkey.12

"I would like to apologize to those of you who have been offended by my comment on facebook. I do accept full responsibility for my comment and ask for you to all forgive me as try to be a better person."

Other highlights from his Facebook:

Fake news story about Seth Rich from Washex.am
Picture of giant gun with caption "Bad Guys Don't Ring Doorbells"
"Shouldn't people on welfare have to remain drug free to keep their benefits?"

Lol they really all think and act the same. So typical.

Hopeford

And yeah he deleted his original post so it's hard to get an exact timer on post-firing. It was definitely within 48 hours though. My best guess is around just over a day to be honest.

it was my one shot at first post fame and i blew it, im gonna go hide in the shame hut for a week

There's still time! We can all agree to pretend it was never edited!

Majine

Banned
I wonder if the amount of racist posts and following repercussions have increased since Trump came to power.

Slayven

You forgot "civil war wasn't about slavery"

tuxfool

Banned
Why would somebody that provides equipment for a niche sport be so fucking dumb as to spout his nonsense in public?

Especially stupid if he is supplying an official organization that represents a wide variety of people in the sport.

It's like these people think "My life is going too smoothly, how can I completely destroy my image in a very public and easily documented manner?"

I wonder if the amount of racist posts and following repercussions have increased since Trump came to power.

They absolutely have.

I say 'bring it'. Expose yourself, racists, bigots, xenophobes, misogynists, hate-mongers. Let us make sure you regret it.

Hopeford

I'm honestly still just shocked that something was done about this. Like, pleasantly shocked, but shocked nonetheless.

Top Bottom