• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Lab (Wii) new IP from Eidos

Linkhero1

JohnTinker said:
Wow this looks great! I'm really eager to see some more of this, especially in motion.

Any word as to how much development is done/tentative release date? (Please in the spring, please in the spring spare my wallet this winter please)
It's been in development since November 2006 and is coming out Summer 2008

acuul

the guy on the left in the first photo NEEDS to be photoshopped.

something like this, but better
66cdfds.gif

anyway the game looks very interesting...

JDSN

Banned
The team seems to be pretty proud of the game and one of the guys that worked on Metroid Prime's music is working on it too.

Im interested.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I'm hoping this is the first of many such titles, as per the updated op, this game is being treated to an 18month+ dev cycle, and looks like this (Pretty good, especially as it has nearly a year left for development), it's a game style that will suit the Wii, and has big potential, I fully expect many more 3rd party games like this to be announced in the next 12 months, proper projects that got green lighted when Wii skyrocketed, ones with proper dev cycles(18 months to 2 years), and with proper budgets, 2008/9 will see an explosion in quality for Wii games, and I hope to see more western medium sized devs to commit to Wii.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This seems pretty cool. The art style is nice (ever since SMG I wanted to see more rim lighting on Wii titles) and the concept seems like a western take on a Japanese genre, which the Wii needs more of.

Can't wait to see a video of this one.

devilhawk

I think the thread title needs more excite or something. The game itself, though nice, is not nearly as important as what it represents. A game that started development as the Wii launched is only now being introduced. I think this will be the first of many.

felipeko said:
Same here, and it feels great.I want to put my sales-age analysis on that..
*GROAN*

Anyway I really like the look of the game. Seems like a "bioshock" style look, really nice. This is really nice, hopefully the game is interesting enough with a decent story to flesh it out.

Scrubking

Borys said:
Tell me where do you see "DEUS EX 2" printed on that piece of shit box.

Cause I don't see it.

He meant that is what the game will be like because there will never be a real Deus Ex sequel. Same goes for the System Shock and Fallout titles.

batbeg

It doesn't look awkward, just really really slow. I can already see a load of faults with the game that are probably more due to stupid decisions, and I hope they fix them up, but it doesn't look that bad right now, I think. Graphically I'm actually pretty impressed.

EDIT: "The one in the middle begging... tough luck." :lol

nightside

I thought it was possible to aim specific part of enemy to attack..it doesn't seem so in the video..ora maybe I just didn't notice:lol

I still dig the idea of minigames for building your monster...

looks good.

KLoNe

Banned
PLEASE! Someone who can write a decent script get a job making games. These developers must have accidently hired a shitty intern or something for the job.

llonesmiz

Here is another video from gamespot coverage of GDC.

nightside said:
I thought it was possible to aim specific part of enemy to attack.

If I recall correctly you can select various parts of your robot, and depending on which part you select a range of attacks/movements are available and each one of these attacks targets specific parts of the enemy. So you can aim by selecting the apropriate part and attack.

nightside

llonesmiz said:
Here is another video from gamespot coverage of GDC.

If I recall correctly you can select various parts of your robot, and depending on which part you select a range of attacks/movements are available and each one of these attacks targets specific parts of the enemy. So you can aim by selecting the apropriate part and attack.

ok..so there's still some strategy..the gametrailers video show clearly early monster..i'm really curious to see some advanced combat

(BTW I like the turn based combat)

Luking gud. I like the turn-based combat actually. Indifferent about the mini-games as of now.

nightside said:
I thought it was possible to aim specific part of enemy to attack..it doesn't seem so in the video..ora maybe I just didn't notice:lol

I still dig the idea of minigames for building your monster...

looks good.
He said that you could aim at different parts of the monsters at one time in the video. Also one attack seperated the head of the other monster.

This looks awesome, honestly.

It looks like it sets out to accomplish a lot (fun minigames, tons of customization, a battle system that requires you to really think about the best strategy for taking out your opponent), and so far, it appears to really nail that. The graphical style is quite impressive, too.

Consider me pumped.

I don't mind minigames as long as there's an incentive to do well, rather than it just feeling like filler...and in this game, it seems there are legitimate incentives behind doing well (like in the welding game), so that's really cool.

This is a pretty obvious observation, but it seems to have a very Pokemon-esque feel (the rock-paper-scissors elements in battle, the collecting, the customization, etc). I love that.

Jme

My anticipation for this game has dropped a bit. It seems a little too confined for what I was expecting. I like the idea and the art style but it just seems like it could be fleshed out with a little more free-roaming... I was thinking the overwold would work more like in Pokemon games, instead it looks more like a board game.

batbeg

handofg0d said:
My anticipation for this game has dropped a bit. It seems a little too confined for what I was expecting. I like the idea and the art style but it just seems like it could be fleshed out with a little more free-roaming... I was thinking the overwold would work more like in Pokemon games, instead it looks more like a board game.

Having watched the Gamespot video, this is a lot like how I feel. It looks pretty fun, and I like the way you can choose the body parts to do attacks and whatnot, but that there's only 6 areas and the look really confined is worrying (what's the point in seeing enemies on-screen if it looks damn near impossible to not run into them?). I hope it's more expanded than it seems to be right now, but I'm a bit apprehensive.

I wouldn't mind a new Robotrek one of these days :(

Top Bottom