• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X900E settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

i-Lo

Ordered it (65") through BB Canada on the 28th of Aug and will not arrive until the 19th of Sept (FML). I really hope that the tv lives up to the hype. Also getting bias lighting (LED strip) @6500K to go with it (dem blacks better blacks).

I bought a 49 inch and I am still in awe. The blacks are amazing and the color almost rivals a legit OLED. It's been 7 years since I bought my last tv so this is a HUGE upgrade.

A lot of the different settings I've seen around the web is tuning the TV to either Expert 1 or Warm but both just feel to yellow for me. Does anyone know if Cool affects any of the picture quality or is this just a setting to have a more bluer look than yellow?

i-Lo

I bought a 49 inch and I am still in awe. The blacks are amazing and the color almost rivals a legit OLED. It's been 7 years since I bought my last tv so this is a HUGE upgrade.

A lot of the different settings I've seen around the web is tuning the TV to either Expert 1 or Warm but both just feel to yellow for me. Does anyone know if Cool affects any of the picture quality or is this just a setting to have a more bluer look than yellow?

Are you using the tele in a lit or an unlit room?

I chose this set over LG55C7P (on sale for the same price as 65"X900E) and am hoping that the FLD can do a good job.

kriskrosbbk

Is anyone playing BF1 on this one? I grt very strange snow glitch on the new Tsar maps.I call it dirty snow effect. Its like shaders or something moving over the snow when I am running.Very annoying. I play on PS4 , Game settings.

julrik

Is anyone playing BF1 on this one? I grt very strange snow glitch on the new Tsar maps.I call it dirty snow effect. Its like shaders or something moving over the snow when I am running.Very annoying. I play on PS4 , Game settings.
Does it look like there's a dirty spot/smudge (or several) on your screen? That's Dirty Screen Effect.

Klotera

It won't affect image quality. However, if you are a stickler for accuracy, then you're not getting accurate colors. However, at the end of the day, it's about what looks best to you. I'll say that if you stick with warm or expert for a while, your eyes will adjust and then cool will look very blue to you.

if you're an amazon prime member the X900E is $200 off for the 49, 55, and 65 inch models and $500 off the 75 inch model!

Edit: so is the X930E

Edit 2: shit! I guess it's a nation wide thing! same price at Best Buy, Walmart, Dell, Sears, ect.

TheBoss1

I'm sold. I will upgrade this holiday.

I've read there's some light image retention. Is this true?
Haven't noticed any on mine. That TV they tested must have been an outlier since VA LCDs almost never suffer from IR/burn-in.
So the X800D is $675 on Amazon & X900E is $999...

The older one is also a few inches smaller 43 vs 49

Worth the price difference? How much better is the PQ, input lag, blacks?

Definitely a huge upgrade. If you can afford the X900E, get that instead.

rawd

I'm coming from a 10 year old 52XBR4 I bought along with my PS3!

if you're an amazon prime member the X900E is $200 off for the 49, 55, and 65 inch models and $500 off the 75 inch model!

Edit: so is the X930E

Edit 2: shit! I guess it's a nation wide thing! same price at Best Buy, Walmart, Dell, Sears, ect.
Yeah it's Sony I think. It's that price everywhere, I'm thinking at best I'll save is another $100 or so on BF so I'm gonna get one now.

@theboss Tks gonna get the X900e today!

DieH@rd

Banned
My 49XE9005 [49X900E] has arrived, and I'm gobsmacked with the panel quality. Wowza.

I will use it as my primary PC monitor, and damn, the move from 32" 1080p to 49" 4K took my breath away! Videos [both SDR and HDR] look amazing, and I can't wait to hook up my PS4 Pro to it!

i-Lo

My 49XE9005 [49X900E] has arrived, and I'm gobsmacked with the panel quality. Wowza.

I will use it as my primary PC monitor, and damn, the move from 32" 1080p to 49" 4K took my breath away! Videos [both SDR and HDR] look amazing, and I can't wait to hook up my PS4 Pro to it!

Will you be using it in a lit environment or in complete darkness?

TheBoss1

I use mine as a monitor as well. The uniformity is pretty much flawless on my TV. I thought I got lucky but the 49" seems to be well made.

Are you using the tele in a lit or an unlit room?

I chose this set over LG55C7P (on sale for the same price as 65"X900E) and am hoping that the FLD can do a good job.

The room gets a lot of light but at night the tv takes over and the brightness just stretches.

It won't affect image quality. However, if you are a stickler for accuracy, then you're not getting accurate colors. However, at the end of the day, it's about what looks best to you. I'll say that if you stick with warm or expert for a while, your eyes will adjust and then cool will look very blue to you.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'll switch it back and hopefully I don't notice it at all.

I'm coming from a 10 year old 52XBR4 I bought along with my PS3!

That's awesome! I had an old 42 inch Sony that I bought a year after I got my PS3 too! So it almost feels on par to when I last upgraded lol I love this tv and I see it lasting me for a good while.

Wagram

One thing i'm concerned about is image retention. This panel has it, but is it noticeable? I had a plasma years back that absolutely drove me bonkers. I played Mario Galaxy for like an hour and you could see the burn in for a long period of time.

i-Lo

As someone who is coming from Plasma, what settings can I utilize to ensure that the 30fps content doesn't suffer from "soap opera" i.e. motion interpolation effect on this tv?

psychotron

One thing i'm concerned about is image retention. This panel has it, but is it noticeable? I had a plasma years back that absolutely drove me bonkers. I played Mario Galaxy for like an hour and you could see the burn in for a long period of time.

Plasma owner here. No issue at all. I played the surge for hours today with a bright red energy bar. Can't see a damn trace.

Klotera

I've never been able to notice it. I also have a plasma, so I'm sensitive to it from watching that and still don't notice. Rtings measured it at .22% right away dropping to .03% after two minutes, which is pretty faint and fades fast, anyway.

As someone who is coming from Plasma, what settings can I utilize to ensure that the 30fps content doesn't suffer from "soap opera" i.e. motion interpolation effect on this tv?

Turning off all motion processing in the motion tab would give you the true frame-by-frame source content. However, you probably want to go ahead and use Cinemotion and TrueCinema to remove judder in film content by applying reverse 3:2 pulldown. This shouldn't add any soap opera effect.

i-Lo

Turning off all motion processing in the motion tab would give you the true frame-by-frame source content. However, you probably want to go ahead and use Cinemotion and TrueCinema to remove judder in film content by applying reverse 3:2 pulldown. This shouldn't add any soap opera effect.

Thank you so much for this.

DieH@rd

Banned
Will you be using it in a lit environment or in complete darkness?

Normal room, to be used as PC monitor and gaming TV in both day and nighttime.

I use mine as a monitor as well. The uniformity is pretty much flawless on my TV. I thought I got lucky but the 49" seems to be well made.

I used it only few hours yesterday, and uniformity also looks to be great.

I'll need to see some picture options settings for watching movies/TV series [I don't believe it all will look spotless via Graphics preset since 24p judder removal cannot be activated in it], and as well as PC desktop/Game settings.

So far, I'm very happy with 49"model, but I still need to test many things on it.

Ushay

Wow that is quite the jump in quality!

rawd

Set it up last night and wow what a diff 10 yrs in TV tech makes. My old Monoprice HDMI cables worked fine with 4K HDR so I dodged that bullet of having to buy new cables. Fired up Uncharted 4 on my PS4 Pro in tweaked Game mode and looks beauty.

For TV viewing and streaming, I prefer Cinema Home default settings over Cinema Pro default settings so far. Cinema Pro is really dark for my basement.

I'm going to go through each setting for Pro and Cinema and compare them. I'm really curious what the differences are.

DieH@rd

Banned
Did anyone here tried to create custom resolution with 49XE9005 on PC via Radeon Settings?

I'm getting the "The custom resolution settings are not compatible with this display" prompt when I try to create ANY custom resolution [3440x1440, 3840x1600, 1080p120].

I'm currently using 4K 8bit 4:4:4 Full RGB, but it looks like I cannot add any new res.

psychotron

I can't put my finger on it, but some games feel "heavier" to me than they did on my Panasonic ST50. Input lag at 4K HDR was rated about 34ms and my ST50 was rated at around 40ms, so this doesn't make sense to me. I'm not feeling it so much in character movement, but camera panning. I know Dead Rising 4 had some input lag but holy hell the camera feels unresponsive as hell. Even Destiny 2 last night felt like looking left and right was me waiting for the camera to catch up to my stick movement. It's just so damn odd.

TheBoss1

I'll need to see some picture options settings for watching movies/TV series [I don't believe it all will look spotless via Graphics preset since 24p judder removal cannot be activated in it], and as well as PC desktop/Game settings.

So far, I'm very happy with 49"model, but I still need to test many things on it.
Well Hurricane Irma hit my islands so I'm still waiting for my area to get back electricity. When it's back up I'll share my settings with you. I use Cinema Pro for movies and TV shows.
Anyone using bias LED backlight strip with this set yet?
Yeah I just got mine last week. It's supposed to help with eye strain and perceived black levels but I find it to be a distraction more than anything since the colors aren't in sync with what's being displayed. Even the white light annoys me. I'll give it some time to see if I get around to it.

i-Lo

Well Hurricane Irma hit my islands so I'm still waiting for my area to get back electricity. When it's back up I'll share my settings with you. I use Cinema Pro for movies and TV shows.

Yeah I just got mine last week. It's supposed to help with eye strain and perceived black levels but I find it to be a distraction more than anything since the colors aren't in sync with what's being displayed. Even the white light annoys me. I'll give it some time to see if I get around to it.

6500K light temp against white(ish) wall would be the ideal solution and it indeed does take time to get used to it.

Is it really necessary on these sets? Genuinely curious. I've only seen videos of the TV, but the blacks look great w/ local dimming.

That's what I am wondering as well. The set I ordered will be here on the 19th and previously our household has had a plasma (one of the best back in 2011, Panny VT25). While the blacks were great, I felt that it really strained my eyes during bright scenes on it which led to get bias lighting and after a while it was something I couldn't do without.

julrik

6500K light temp against white(ish) wall would be the ideal solution and it indeed does take time to get used to it.

That's what I am wondering as well. The set I ordered will be here on the 19th and previously our household has had a plasma (one of the best back in 2011, Panny VT25). While the blacks were great, I felt that it really strained my eyes during bright scenes on it which led to get bias lighting and after a while it was something I couldn't do without.
If you're used to bias lighting, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it for the X900 as well. Even though the black levels are (supposedly) great, it does increase perceived contrast and reduce eye strain, and you're already used to it.

My last few TV's are Pioneer Kuro LX5090, LG OLED EG9100 and and LG OLED E6. I'm considering the X900E now, and will most likely buy it this fall. (65"). Curious to hear further impressions on the black levels - they look very good on vids.

Klotera

Anyone using bias LED backlight strip with this set yet?

Yes, I used it with my previous TV, so I was used to it. It's a nice effect. You'll want to get one with a switch or buy a USB switch to put in between the strip and USB port (which is what I ended up doing). The USB ports constantly power on and off for a few minutes at a time while the TV is "off", so the strip will constantly be going on and off.

Journey

Banned
Is this still the best TV for 2017? I read that the LG C7 Oled is currently the best gaming set.

The best TV we've reviewed for playing video games is the LG C7 4k OLED TV. Not only does it feature the best picture quality currently available, it also has some of the lowest input lag found on any TV available today as well as virtually no motion blur.
Thanks to its virtually instant response time, fast motion looks incredibly fluid and crisp. The overall package offers a very responsive and immersive experience unmatched by competing LED TVs like the Samsung Q9F and Sony Z9D.

It's versatile too: its wide viewing angle means it's equally good for playing games with friends sitting on either side without a big effect on picture quality. The LG C7 isn't the brightest TV available, but it still offers the best gaming experience available

The Sony Z9D is a higher class than the X900, correct?

julrik

Is this still the best TV for 2017? I read that the LG C7 Oled is currently the best gaming set.

The Sony Z9D is a higher class than the X900, correct?
For the price, yes. Apparently the C7 and X900E have the same input lag, if you don't include the X900E's motion blur in the equation.

The Z9D is a better TV than the X900E - correct.

i-Lo

If you're used to bias lighting, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it for the X900 as well. Even though the black levels are (supposedly) great, it does increase perceived contrast and reduce eye strain, and you're already used to it.

My last few TV's are Pioneer Kuro LX5090, LG OLED EG9100 and and LG OLED E6. I'm considering the X900E now, and will most likely buy it this fall. (65"). Curious to hear further impressions on the black levels - they look very good on vids.

Indeed. And just to clarify myself- I already put in the order for 65X900E and I'll be receiving it on the 19th (barring unforeseen circumstance). In addition, I also placed an order for bias lighting to go with it.

Yes, I used it with my previous TV, so I was used to it. It's a nice effect. You'll want to get one with a switch or buy a USB switch to put in between the strip and USB port (which is what I ended up doing). The USB ports constantly power on and off for a few minutes at a time while the TV is "off", so the strip will constantly be going on and off.

I am unsure whether the one I ordered is USB based or not. The old one simply had a separate switch and connected to an AC outlet.

thizguy009

Neo Member
I have the 65X900E for a couple of months or so now. I wished I waited a bit longer for that $200 price dropped. It is a great TV. Black levels are amazing. I'm super happy with the purchase for sure.

TheBoss1

I have the 65X900E for a couple of months or so now. I wished I waited a bit longer for that $200 price dropped. It is a great TV. Black levels are amazing. I'm super happy with the purchase for sure.

That's what I did. The 55" has been regularly dropping to $1,298 but the 49" refused to drop lower that $1,098 until a few weeks ago. I immediately jumped on it when it hit $998 and I'm definitely happy with the purchase. No, the blacks are not OLED blacks when any sort of light is visible on black background but for the price, I would buy this again (unless OLED is similar in price). Blacks are better than most LCDs.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

what are your impressions about mouse response on this thing, any noticeable lag on the desktop? has anyone tried making a 1080p 120hz custom res and tested out any games using a mouse?

still waiting to jump on the 49" until i have more opinions from PC users

What's your setting? I just got mines today and want to know what to do straight out the box as far as calibration etc...goes

I'm torn on what to buy. The 55XE9005 or Samsung KS7000 ( 8000 in the US ). At first I thought I wanted the Sony but I saw the Samsung yesterday at friends house and the IQ was downright amazing. I'm by no means an expert but it somehow looked brighter and the IQ seemed to pop more like the Sony. Could be my imagination though, did not see them side by side. Any thoughts?

LegendX48

I'm torn on what to buy. The 55XE9005 or Samsung KS7000 ( 8000 in the US ). At first I thought I wanted the Sony but I saw the Samsung yesterday at friends house and the IQ was downright amazing. I'm by no means an expert but it somehow looked brighter and the IQ seemed to pop more like the Sony. Could be my imagination though, did not see them side by side. Any thoughts?
I know it ain't the same set but I spent a day messing with a 65" curved ks8500 and kind of preferred my 49" x900e. The ks8500 didn't seem seem to get as bright. Though, to be fair, I only watched a couple 4k movies on it and it did not get along with my xbone s too well for some movies.

dolabla

Just got my TV set up today. Beautiful picture. I just got a question though. What exactly is the X-tended Dynamic Range setting? And should it be turned off or on? And if on, which one (low, medium or high)?

Is it a form of Dynamic Contrast that crushes blacks and shadow detail? Or is it a legit make the picture quality better type setting that doesn't harm the picture?

From what I can tell, it makes the colors pop more when turned on, but I'm not sure if it's crushing blacks and destroying shadow detail to get there.

TheBoss1

Just got my TV set up today. Beautiful picture. I just got a question though. What exactly is the X-tended Dynamic Range setting? And should it be turned off or on? And if on, which one (low, medium or high)?

Is it a form of Dynamic Contrast that crushes blacks and shadow detail? Or is it a legit make the picture quality better type setting that doesn't harm the picture?

From what I can tell, it makes the colors pop more when turned on, but I'm not sure if it's crushing blacks and destroying shadow detail to get there.

I turned mine off for non-HDR content because it looked more natural especially for games. With HDR content it looks a lot better but that may just be me.

TheBoss1

TV/Movies
Picture Mode: Cinema Pro

Brightness: 10 at day/ 5 at night (You can use whatever you want here)
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0
Black Level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Adv. contrast enhancer: Off
Auto local dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Expert 1
Live Color: Off

Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Auto (Very helpful with sub-4K content)
Mastered in 4K: Off (If your source is a Blu-Ray player, turn this on)
Random & Digital Noise refuction: Auto (I use these when watching cable but don't have these on for Netflix, Amazon, etc.)
Smooth Gradation: High (Very useful for making color bands blend more smoothly)

Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: High

For Game/Graphics (PC) Mode: I use pretty much the same settings but if you have a 4K PC or 4K game you can turn off Reality Creation. You can also enable BFI by setting the Motionflow to Custom and moving the slider to the right. Just make sure if you use it to raise the brightness accordingly.

rawd

I noticed this weird shimmering effect every so often on some textures watching SlingTV and OTA (1080p, 1080i and 720p) Turned out to be Reality Creation doing it so I've turned it off.

Top Bottom