• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good detective/mystery visual novels?

jman4371

Neo Member
As someone who says that Danganronpa is one of their personal favorite franchises, I can echo the sentiments that Ace attorney is definitely a good one. The trilogy was a fantastic buy and kept me hooked from start to finish. 4 was fine and while I finished it, it took me quite a while. Just wasn't as interesting to me. Same with 5 (Dual Destinies) but I've heard that one gets a lot better. Can someone vouch for that? Mainly to keep me going :p

Zero escape is great too. 999 and VLR are what got me into VNs and they're fantastic. ZTD didn't catch me like the others but is fine.

BTA

I strongly recommend Collar x Malice as long as you’re into romance. I’m finishing it as I type and I really, really enjoyed it. If you want something a little sweeter in tone overall, the same goes for Code Realize- which stills deals with some surprisingly serious things and handles them very well, mind.

Both have wonderful female protagonists. They’re very well written, too; Code Realize has one of the best route/story structures I’ve seen in a VN, which made it feel very satisfying to see each route and then wrap everything up in the final one.

Root Letter is terrible, barely a mystery, and doesn’t have a female protagonist besides. A lot of this thread has decent to good recommendations, and I want to let people enjoy what they enjoy, but I’m going to continue recommending against wasting any of your life playing this boring mess with its bad protagonist and barely interesting story.

Here's the best ones that I've played:

Hotel Dusk and its sequel Last Window
Ace Attorney series
Zero Escape series (same developer/publisher as Danganronpa)
Snatcher (Kojima's early work and still one of his best games)
Policenauts (another early Kojima game, also really good)
The Silver Case HD Remaster (Suda51's directorial debut at Grasshopper Manufacture)
Divi-Dead

There's also an upcoming Jake Hunter game coming for 3DS in 2018 which looks really good.

OceanBlue

There's a question I have when suggesting to people who say they like mysteries and like Danganronpa when recommending Ace Attorney.

In regards to story, Danganronpa seems more like a drama with mysteries as a means to tell a story about death and betrayal, while I feel that Ace Attorney doesn't linger too long on anything that gets in the way of its mystery solving gameplay. I'm regards to gameplay though, Danganronpa gives you all of the things you need to solve it's mysteries from the beginning while Ace Attorney doesn't mind withholding information from you in order to create more drama. Sometimes it's kinda obnoxious in Ace Attorney how many characters will burst in with info or evidence during a trial lol.

IMO the mysteries in Danganronpa aren't nearly as good as Ace Attorney, and I don't mind how the game likes hiding critical information because they often use it to change how you think about the evidence you have. That said, I know there are people who aren't huge fans of being misled and like to have all of the information they need to piece things together, so I'm always curious about their opinion regarding Ace Attorney.

FiveSide

Banned
It's not a "visual novel" per se, but if you have PSVR definitely check out The Invisible Hours.

EDIT: Also on PC VR platforms apparently.

Estellise

As an avid otome game player, I can definitely say Collar x Malice is a good murder/mystery VN. You do draw certain conclusions that effect your endings as well. Its also an otome game so you do have romance and such but I don't think that should make it any less enjoyable. I think its the type of game that can be enjoyed by all.

I also hope maybe someday the otome Side Kicks! Will get localized. For now its only in Japanese (its by a smaller company than otomate) but it was also a very great murder/mystery that I enjoyed and it actually takes place in America/California.

Bump to say that the Vita seems almost impossible to find new here in Europe, seen one for £500+, WTF, didn't know it was that rare! Loads on Amazon.jp so I should probably import if I want one then.

Willenium

Did anyone say Trace Memory/Another Code on DS yet? It's the answer.
tracememory_dsusbox.jpg

grim-tales

Hey,

I can't decide which new VN game to get for Christmas. I thought either 'The Silver Case' or 'The House in Fata Morgana' both look intriguing - though I remember the Suda51 VN/adventure Flower, Sun and Rain and thought it was pretty terrible. I like the sound of the detective/neo-noir setting and riddles and puzzles though.

Morgana is more of a pure VN, right? All I know is that its about a house/mansion, and thats it really. But I've heard its very, very good.

I'm still in the middle of Zero Time Dilema though, should I finish that first? It's OK but just feels so... disappointing after the hype that was built about it. I loved ZE and this isn't it :(

DKPOWPOW

Ace Attorney Trilogy is amazing and a must-play.
Hotel Dusk is quite good.
Another Code was alright.

Shenmue I & II, while not a novel per-say... Definitely has the feel of a detective game with a great story in fully realized 3d world. Also, amazing by the way.

Lucumo

The Famicom Detective Club series was pretty good for its time. In general, there were a lot of those games back in the day.

Hey,

I can't decide which new VN game to get for Christmas. I thought either 'The Silver Case' or 'The House in Fata Morgana' both look intriguing - though I remember the Suda51 VN/adventure Flower, Sun and Rain and thought it was pretty terrible. I like the sound of the detective/neo-noir setting and riddles and puzzles though.

Morgana is more of a pure VN, right? All I know is that its about a house/mansion, and thats it really. But I've heard its very, very good.

I'm still in the middle of Zero Time Dilema though, should I finish that first? It's OK but just feels so... disappointing after the hype that was built about it. I loved ZE and this isn't it :(

I'd say ZTD is def worth finishing, it's not as good as the first two games but tbf the previous two were just so top tier. ZTD is still a good game in its own right.

grim-tales

Ace Attorney Trilogy is amazing and a must-play.
Hotel Dusk is quite good.
Another Code was alright.

Shenmue I & II, while not a novel per-say... Definitely has the feel of a detective game with a great story in fully realized 3d world. Also, amazing by the way.

Hi,
Thank you :) I've played the Ace Attorney trilogy before and theyre all amazing.
Hotel Dusk was pretty cool, loved the noir feel.
What would you choose out of Silver Case or Morgana?

stranno

Now Productions' Unsolved Crimes for Nintendo DS.

It is not as good as Hotel Dusk but it is a fine and interesting little game.

Ubisoft's Metropolis Crimes wasnt bad either IIRC.

Dunki

Late to the party but Kara no Shoujo but note its 18+ and as sexscenes. But if you can also handle violence it is a fantastic Detective novel for adults.

Set in a post-World War II Japan during 1956, Kara no Shōjo's story revolves around Reiji Tokisaka a private investigator who is investigating a series of grotesque murders on the request of his former colleague, Kyozo Uozumi of the Tokyo metropolitan police force. The murders are reminiscent of another string of serial murders that occurred six years ago prior to the game where Reiji lost his fiancée, which drives him with a strong desire to solve this case. Reiji also meets a girl named Toko Kuchik who asks him to find her real self. Reiji is initially unsure of what she means, but later finds out that Toko has an unusually complicated past that may have more to do with the current string of serial killings than Reiji initially expects. While working to solve the growing number of murder cases in Tokyo, Reiji takes some time out to get to know Toko while working behind-the-scenes to unravel the mysteries of her dark past.

Kotaku even has a review and recomendation for it XD

https://kotaku.com/kara-no-shojo-the-kotaku-review-1486926848

But NOTE: This is not for sensitive people since there is a ton of awful stuff happening

To quote Kotaku:

Reiji, while a brilliant detective, is still just one person—a minor piece in the overall web of the murders. He is not a superman or some kind of action hero; he is just one moral man trying to save those he can. But as a detective, an investigator, he can't save people—not really. He can only catch the person responsible for the killings after they've already been committed. The game does an amazing job of conveying this sense of helplessness by forcing you to watch as one by one the characters you are emotionally invested in are taken away. Even in the best possible route through the game, no one is safe.

In the end, let me say this. I hate graphic gore. It's not that seeing it on the screen is so bad; but my imagination loves to take it one step further as I lay in bed at night, making for some horrible nightmares. Kara no Shojo is no exception. But despite that, the game has its hooks in me. It made me care so much about the characters and the mystery that even if I would have been playing for fun (instead of for this review), I would have pressed on to the end. And now that it's done—even with all the gore and emotional turmoil I went through—all I can think about is getting my hands on the sequel.

PooBone

Been playing Danganronpa V3 which I have really being enjoying despite, you know, certain things that I hate about it (not the ending, for those in the know, I actually liked the ending and thought it was an interesting angle). Since Kodaka is leaving and is looking for new writers (even overseas, too, GAF get on this shit and write some waifus) according to his Twitter and there's therefore going to be a long wait till the inevitable next DR game because it's just getting to be popular now, I do really want to play a really good visual novel that's mystery/detective themed(I have heard of Phoenix Wright, I do want to try it but I don't have a 3DS), and might pick up a Vita for on the go gaming and visual novels.

Plus points too, though obviously not a requirement if it actually has (DR V3 Spoilers, don't read if you haven't played)
a female protagonist that you play as for most of/the whole game, I was looking forward to seeing some interesting character interactions between the rest of the V3 cast and a cute pianist chick, lol, then boom, chapter 1 fridge death just to develop the actual MC, such a bummer cause I was really looking forward to playing as Kaede, maybe in inevitable sequel we'll get one this time, Shuichi wasn't bad but I really would have liked him a lot more if there was no MC switch
. Been browsing some threads and I heard Collar x Malice for the Vita was pretty good too, and the whole detective mystery story it has seems right up my alley after playing Danganronpa back to back this year. Probably loads more, actually. Also, is the Zero Escape series good? It was made by Spike Chunsoft as well, so, awesome.

Sounds like you would enjoy the Zero Escape games.

Waxwing

Here's my list (which is pretty much my list of favorite things ever). Anything I haven't played I'm pretty sure is still really solid.

GOLD STANDARD:
Ace Attorney Series (plus spin-offs)
Zero Escape Series
Umineko (and maybe Higurashi, though I hear there's less mystery)
Ever 17 Series (haven't played, but same writer as Zero Escape)
Ghost Trick (same writer as first three AA)
Shinrai: Broken Beyond Despair (great indie murder mystery VN)

OTHERS I CAN'T VOUCH FOR (but highly rated):
Chaos;Head & Chaos;Child
Kara no Shoujo
Detective Butler: Maiden Voyage Murder

NOT VNs BUT GIVES THE SAME FEELING:
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Sherlock Holmes: Devil's Daughter (inferior to Crimes, but enjoyable enough)
Consortium
The Last Express

NOT EVEN DIGITAL, BUT ALSO GREAT:
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective Boardgame
Watson & Holmes Boardgame
Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen, and John Dickson Carr Novels

grim-tales

Here's my list (which is pretty much my list of favorite things ever). Anything I haven't played I'm pretty sure is still really solid.

GOLD STANDARD:
Ace Attorney Series (plus spin-offs)
Zero Escape Series
Umineko (and maybe Higurashi, though I hear there's less mystery)
Ever 17 Series (haven't played, but same writer as Zero Escape)
Ghost Trick (same writer as first three AA)
Shinrai: Broken Beyond Despair (great indie murder mystery VN)

OTHERS I CAN'T VOUCH FOR (but highly rated):
Chaos;Head & Chaos;Child
Kara no Shoujo
Detective Butler: Maiden Voyage Murder

NOT VNs BUT GIVES THE SAME FEELING:
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Sherlock Holmes: Devil's Daughter (inferior to Crimes, but enjoyable enough)
Consortium
The Last Express

NOT EVEN DIGITAL, BUT ALSO GREAT:
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective Boardgame
Watson & Holmes Boardgame
Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen, and John Dickson Carr Novels

I've not heard of Shinrai, where can you get it?

FStubbs

How is Stein's Gate?

Ever 17 is incredible but I didn't think Never 7 or Remember 11 were as good (Remember 11 felt like it was missing the answer arc, although a lot of people have pieced together the answers). I wonder if English or fan-translated versions of 12 Riven or Code 18 are available.

Arelaz

Definitely seconding the recs on Ace Attorney series (Trilogy on 3DS a great entry point)
Hotel Dusk, Ghost Trick, Zero Escape series (Start with 999)

Top Bottom