• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fail & More Fail: GAF Tells REAL Stupid Owner Stories.

Sol.. said:
When I was a kid, my genesis stopped working. So, thinking that it wasn't getting power. I pulled out the power jack (with the adapter still plugged into the wall) and touched it to my tongue.

I've been sexually confused ever since.
lmao, this thread has supplied the goods

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
andymcc said:
Not as stupid per se, but makes you think about the living standards of some people...

A few years ago when I worked at ebgames, me and my manager had two customers approach the counter. They were somewhere in their thirties, dressed in bulky khaki-colored carhart overalls. They placed a rather battered older ps2 on the counter with one of those extended warranties we used to offer. They claimed the system started sparking and won't power on anymore. We took it back no questions asked because the old warranty covered physical damage.

After they left, my manager opened the expansion bay, he turned pale and appeared to be close to throwing up. He ran the ps2 into the backroom almost immediately. when the store was empty he took me to the backroom, strangely the ps2 was triple-bagged in trash bags.

He showed me what was wrong with it.

It seemed roaches had made the ps2 their home and chewed up pieces of the inside. There were charred remains of several roaches, in addition to a lot of living ones to. He called the district manager the next day to fumigate the store.
I remember a thread about a similar situation... but with pics. It was in some spanish forums.
I actually remembered the thread title, so here's the link http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_La-c...97a0c5c9b0b564089a185&perpage=10&pagenumber=1
click at your own risk. Maybe the images are down, I couldn't tell because NO WAY I'm seeing that again :lol (just googled the thread).

mollipen

HUELEN10 said:
Oh but it is. I still cannot even comprehend how she managed to get THREE in!

Maybe she's a naughty girl who is used to fitting three things into one slot at the same time.

I think one of the worst for me so far in this thread is the PSP kid. I mean, I occasionally did something that didn't at all make sense, like the time I took apart a bunch of my Transformers thinking I could make my own Stunticons (hey, this was before the Stunticon toys existed). Generally, however, I'm so thankful that I actually had common sense as a kid, especially when it came to technology, and knew enough not to do things like rip the UMD cases off from around the discs.

My brother's girlfriend's kid, man... I swear that kid is a moron. I knew far more about technology than he does at half his age, and I grew up at a time when every house didn't have a game system, computer, or a lot of other technology. Dealing with him on the occasions that I do, it kind of makes me fearful that I'll end up with a moron for a kid, which I'm not at all sure I could handle.

lopaz

Banned
ashism said:
Year's ago when I worked at a game shop we had a kid bring in a PSP and a bunch his UMD's.
We open up his PSP to find a UMD disc in the drive. No not the UMD disc inside of the little plastic housing, he actually ripped the disc out of the housing. The disc was badly scratched in the extraction process, and obviously the disc never read.
On top of that he had five more little UMD games ripped out of their housing to go along with it. When we told the poor kid's mom why we couldn't take the system and what her special child has done, she looked pretty pissed.

OP wins though, hands down, the end. I hope she tells a coworker or a friend the story so they can laugh at her ineptness with technology too!

To be fair, if you're used to gameboy cartridges coming in the little cases and whatnot, it could be an easy mistake to make, especially since the UMD plastic has grooves that kinda looks like you're supposed to open it with.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
junker said:
I had no idea what "demo" meant.

My cousin and I used to put Defender on the Atari 2600 in demo mode and press buttons and move the trackball around thinking we were doing something. I thought it was some kind of beginners mode that assisted you.
Ha, that actually still occasionally happens to me.
When I'm playing pacmance, and get really in the zone and fuckup. I press A to restart, and will play for a second or two, before I realize its the replay of the game I just played.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
MikeE21286 said:
dontdods1_news.jpg
users are not allowed to be hip-hop artists that wear bling?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
HUELEN10 said:
SHE PHYSICALLY PUT 3 CREDIT CARDS INTO THE DISC SLOT.
HOW STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
This isn't a game-related story, but it's very similar to this:

I used to work at Albertsons, a grocery store. We had those touch screen self checkouts that are popular in all the chains now. Well, people frequently tried to slap their cards on the touch screens rather than swiping them. And when I say frequently, I mean it; it was at the very least a weekly occurrence,and I worked there for over 2 years. I even saw one man once lay his $20 flat against the screen as though it would be absorbed.

Some people just do not understand technology.

docsigma2000: jesus christ man
docsigma2000: my son is sooooooo dead
c8info: Why?
docsigma2000: hes been looking at internet web sites in fucking EUROPE
docsigma2000: HE IS SURFING LONG DISTANCE
docsigma2000: our fucking phone bill is gonna be nuts
c8info: Ooh, this is bad. Surfing long distance adds an extra $69.99 to your bill per hour.
docsigma2000: ...!!!!!! FUCK FUCK FUCK
docsigma2000: is there some plan we can sign up for???
docsigma2000: cuz theres some cool stuff in europe, but i dun wanna pauy that much
c8info: Sorry, no. There is no plan. you'll have to live with it.
docsigma2000: o well, i ccan live without europe intenet sites.
docsigma2000: but till i figure out how to block it hes sooooo dead
c8info: By the way, I'm from Europe, your chatting long distance.
** docsigma2000 has quit (Connection reset by peer)

kittel

Weapxn said:
This isn't a game-related story, but it's very similar to this:

I used to work at Albertsons, a grocery store. We had those touch screen self checkouts that are popular in all the chains now. Well, people frequently tried to slap their cards on the touch screens rather than swiping them. And when I say frequently, I mean it; it was at the very least a weekly occurrence,and I worked there for over 2 years. I even saw one man once lay his $20 flat against the screen as though it would be absorbed.

Some people just do not understand technology.

Hovering your credit card over a screen isn't that far-fetched. RFID has been around in parts of Asia like Singapore and Hong Kong for more than a decade and people frequently swipe "universal" debit cards over a sensor to purchase tickets for transportation, food, etc.

Yagharek

When I was working at eb, someone came in with a PSP they busted whilst skateboarding. They kept it in their pocket and fell over. Smashed LCD screens look awesome.

Not a patch on the OP, but this guy wasnt exactly the brightest spark.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Op is unbeatable and I don't have a story to match it.

The only stupid thing I can think of is a conversation I overheard between a very angry and argumentative mother and staff at EB. She'd bought her son a PlayStation 2, as that was what she wanted, and was frustrated that she couldn't get the likes of Mario and Zelda for the system. The staff tried to explain to her that there were different publishers related to different systems, and that to play Nintendo games you needed a Nintendo system.

She refused to back down as her son supposedly told her you could get those games for the PS2, and that her son would know far more than the staff that work at EB.

She ended up leaving in quite a huff.

EatChildren said:

The only stupid thing I can think of is a conversation I overheard between a very angry and argumentative mother and staff at EB. She'd bought her son a PlayStation 2, as that was what she wanted, and was frustrated that she couldn't get the likes of Mario and Zelda for the system. The staff tried to explain to her that there were different publishers related to different systems, and that to play Nintendo games you needed a Nintendo system.

She refused to back down as her son supposedly told her you could get those games for the PS2, and that her son would know far more than the staff that work at EB.

I hate this type of people.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I came into this thread expecting it to be shitty, but no, this is the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Yagharek

EatChildren said:

If I had my time again I would sell used copies of Zelda/Mario to them in a blue plastic ps2 case. Let them try it out for themselves.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I also have a couple of friends who refuse to buy / play Nintendo systems because they are convinced the hardware itself automatically renders things ‘cartoony’ and cannot do ‘gritty’.

Back last gen they’d even say that a port of a game would look ‘cartoony’ on the GameCube when chalked up against the PS2 version.

I showed one of them Resident Evil 4 on the Cube as an example of a gaming looking pretty gritty, and he claimed it wasn’t ‘real’ and the system was ‘cheating’ to get those graphics.

To this day I have no idea what he was trying to say.

AniHawk

I put the Wii disc in upside-down the first time I turned it on. I thought my Wii was a defective model for about 2 minutes.

On one of the earliest days we had an N64, I caught my dad playing Super Mario 64 late at night. He was trying his damndest to jump on and kill Toad.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Threi said:
my little cousins just got a 360 this christmas to play...get this...

OFFLINE ON A TUBE TV WITH COMPOSITE CABLES!!!

ARE THEY IDIOTS OR WHAT? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

OMG IM DYING
:lol :lol :lol
Shit, that's exactly how I've been using my roommate's 360 :lol. Not on purpose though! My little 13" CRT is all we have right now :lol.

AniHawk said:
I put the Wii disc in upside-down the first time I turned it on. I thought my Wii was a defective model for about 2 minutes.
Sounds like that guy a few years ago over here that tried to put GC-discs upside down in his wii because it would put the wii in BC-mode or something like that.

Rikyfree

EatChildren said:
I also have a couple of friends who refuse to buy / play Nintendo systems because they are convinced the hardware itself automatically renders things ‘cartoony’ and cannot do ‘gritty’.

Back last gen they’d even say that a port of a game would look ‘cartoony’ on the GameCube when chalked up against the PS2 version.

I showed one of them Resident Evil 4 on the Cube as an example of a gaming looking pretty gritty, and he claimed it wasn’t ‘real’ and the system was ‘cheating’ to get those graphics.

To this day I have no idea what he was trying to say.
It's called denial. Your friend thought it was just a river in Egypt.

carlosp

Banned
„Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher.“

einstein-albert.jpg

"Two things are infinite, the universe and the human stupidity, but i am not so sure about the universe yet"

boiled goose

good with gravy
AniHawk said:
On one of the earliest days we had an N64, I caught my dad playing Super Mario 64 late at night. He was trying his damndest to jump on and kill Toad.

i lol'd...:lol :lol :lol :lol

shows you how even mario 64 is too complicated for some people. we still need simple stuff to keep people playing games.

EatChildren said:

LOL i search for mario for ps2 and i found
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061115060230AAe8bmB

and
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060922141103AAJM6Ll

LOL

PolyGone

Banned
So I accidentally left my PS2 controller at a friend's house, and when I went to retrieve it he gave me one of his as replacement. The problem is, the one I left at his house was a nice controller and the one he gave me is nasty. It has all this grime on it and the left analog stick gets stuck from time to time.

Anyway, like a year later I played through Odin Sphere without any issues, then one day the left analog stick gets stuck for no good reason. Games won't start because the controller thinks the stick is constantly pushed all the way in one direction. I decide to open the controller to see if I can't unclog the analog stick. Well, now the analog stick works fine but none of the buttons or dpad work. Only the left analog stick and the start button work.

WTF

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Age of 11 or 12 when my mom got me my first computer, a C64. I was reading the instruction manual on how to get games to play. Instruction manual said to type 'LOAD "*",8,1' to load the game which I managed to do, and to run the game, the manual said to type in 'RUN'. The C64 had a key with RUN/STOP written on it... took me a few good hours and many phone calls to relatives before I figured out that had I had to actually type in RUN.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
You guys shouldn't also be denied this jewel of a story.... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14152488&postcount=191 I like how everytime EVERYONE comes has this guy for help, and it's always something radical like 5 credit cards in a disk slot of a wii, a girl trying to trick him to think she doesn't have herpes so they can have sex so he can fix her computer, or they set the gas tank on fire to try and warm up the car faster. No one cares about your crappy made up stories. At least make them enjoyable to read if you have to make them up.

HUELEN10

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
You guys shouldn't also be denied this jewel of a story.... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14152488&postcount=191 I like how everytime EVERYONE comes has this guy for help, and it's always something radical like 5 credit cards in a disk slot of a wii, a girl trying to trick him to think she doesn't have herpes so they can have sex so he can fix her computer, or they set the gas tank on fire to try and warm up the car faster. No one cares about your crappy made up stories. At least make them enjoyable to read if you have to make them up.
They aren't made up, but how I wish they were. Don't worry, it is 8 AM and the Mom should be leaving at 10. So if all goes well, you will have your pics in a couple hours....

And yes, that IS a stupid owner story, but it isn't VG related, so I didn't post it.

Again, if you choose not to believe me, that is all right too, after all this is the internet, so I understand.

HUELEN10 said:
They aren't made up, but how I wish they were. Don't worry, it is 8 AM and the Mom should be leaving at 10. So if all goes well, you will have your pics in a couple hours....

And yes, that IS a stupid owner story, but it isn't VG related, so I didn't post it.

Again, if you choose not to believe me, that is all right too, after all this is the internet, so I understand.

Ya, ok... So the parents are leaving so you're going to sneak into the house to take pictures of it? Geez, how could anyone doubt you.

HUELEN10

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, ok... So the parents are leaving so you're going to sneak into the house to take pictures of it? Geez, how could anyone doubt you.
You didn't read the the thread. If all goes well, the husband is bringing the Wii to my place. So if you are going to troll, please read the thread.

Anyway I have another stupid owner story. I had a friend once who wanted to play PS2 games, so he bought a DualShock2, and PS2 Mem Card, and Jak and Daxter. I told him that he needed a PS2, and he thought the memory card would boost the graphics of the ps1 he had to play PS2 games.

HUELEN10 said:
You didn't read the the thread. If all goes well, the husband is bringing the Wii to my place.

Anyway

:lol Seems you're crappy stories finally netted you a tag. Congrats, that seems to be what you were aiming for.

Ashour

JonathanEx said:
And it'll ask for your PIN in the form of a very simple maths question, so people think they're getting smarter by doing it. :lol

No your Pin would be your 12 digits friend code :lol

EatChildren

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

He clearly stated that the husband would be letting him tinker with the Wii.

Mardil

Well I know a similar story to tell, I knew this guy from school who got a Wii on Christmas like two years ago... whose little brother (around 5) inserted three coins into the Wii. I don't know why he did it but it totally fried the motherboard. Then they just pretended it came that way and traded it in.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Mardil said:
Well I know a similar story to tell, I knew this guy from school who got a Wii on Christmas like two years ago... whose little brother (around 5) inserted three coins into the Wii. I don't know why he did it but it totally fried the motherboard. Then they just pretended it came that way and traded it in.
Wow he was old school :lol

Wizpig

AniHawk said:

Everybody did that.
I mean the Wii disc thing! poor Toad:lol

Top Bottom