• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

yoopoo

Banned
GenplusGx update - DVD support!

[Genesis]

- YM2612(MAME): fixed LFO phase update for CH3 special mode: fix sound effects in Warlock & Aladdin (thanks to AamirM)
- YM2612(MAME): fixed EG attenuation level on "KEY ON": fix Ecco 2's splash sound
- YM2612(MAME): fixed SSG-EG emulation: fix Bubba'n Stix (Track 5) and many others
- YM2612(MAME): replaced sample interpolation with libsamplerate support, High Quality mode is now more accurate
- implemented cycle-accurate HINT timings: every timing sensitive games/demos are now *finally* working fine
- fixed a bug affecting CRAM/VSRAM DMA timings
- fixed Sprite Attribute Table address mask for VRAM writes
- improved accuracy of 68k access to Z80: fix music in Pacman 2 when entering PAUSE menu
- disabled "Address Error" emulation when UMK3 hack is loaded: fix game crashing after a round ends up
- added support for some more unlicensed games: Pocket Monster, King of Fighter 98, Soul Blade (credits to Haze)
- improved Menacer emulation: fix lightgun support in Body Count & T2: The Arcade Game
- added Konami Justifier emulation: fix lightgun support in Lethal Enforcers 1 & 2
- added Sega Mouse emulation (Populous 2, Body Count, Shangai 2, Fun'n Games, ...)

[NGC/Wii]
- added Wiimote support for Menacer/Justifier/Mouse
- added DVD support in Wii mode (no modchip required)
- added "Gun cursor" option to enable/disable gun position display
- added "Invert Mouse" option to invert Sega Mouse vertical axe (required by some games)
- improved Controller options: Wiimote/Nunchuk and Classical Controllers can now be affected separately to ANY player

http://www.mediafire.com/?oj5jxox5bef

Which of the many SNES9X versions does GAF recommend?

Just played Day of the Tentacle for the first time ever on the SCUMMVM wii port - awesome experience on so many levels. The only thing it couldn't do was play the original MM on Weird Ed's computer, but the sound, the saves, everything worked great.

Tenbatsu

Can someone guide me on how to install the homebrew channel and twilight hack within that channel in layman terms? And the steps to uninstall the channel if I wanna do a firmware update next time. Also if I uninstall will it remove all traces of the channel?

HisshouBuraiKen said:

I'm pretty sure that deleting a channel from the wii menu leaves some keys on the system. To fully delete a channel you need a piece of homebrew software which is designed to uninstall stuff.

Threi

notag
Ninja Kn1ght said:
I'm pretty sure that deleting a channel from the wii menu leaves some keys on the system. To fully delete a channel you need a piece of homebrew software which is designed to uninstall stuff.
Does the HBC need keys though? Remember it is a user-made channel, not one from Nintendo.

And you are thinking of the WAD installer/uninstaller.

Tenbatsu

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Which is?

Alpha_eX

Awesome stuff, just got it up and running, got to dig out my old Lucas Arts games now, lent Broken Sword to a friend and never got it back, just ordered a new one from ebay, can't wait to play it again.

I bring my Wii into work, my students are going to freak when they see all this stuff. :lol

TreIII

angelfly said:
I installed the Japanese 3.2 menu using it and update to 3.3J from using the normal update function. The only thing that would be considered a "problem" is that I ended up with duplicates of the weather and news channel. All I had to do was run the duplicate channel remover and problem solved.

I would wager that they probably already have done the thing with concern to 3.3.

But like with Dragona, my thing is, I'm wondering about a "covert" update beyond 3.3, that may easily come on a disc.

That's what I'm worried about. This tech is REALLY cool though, I'll probably will look into very soon...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Do you guys thibk it'll be possibile to fix the RGB on NTSC red tint via homebrew?

Also, anything at all about a Wii MAME yet?

problems with wii mame

Known Problems

- Loading times VERY HIGH:

- For small roms (2-4MB, CPS1) can take 3-5 minutes to load.

- For large roms (13-20MB, CPS2, NEOGEO) It can take 30-60 minutes to load.

After the loading part, it plays at normal speed (85-90% of original speed without frameskip and without lags).

- No keyboard or Wii joystick support

- Problems using TV in 480p or rgb components

Doc Evils

So is homebrew on the Wii worth it? Will you be able to still play legit games that tricks the disc into thinking it's a higher firmware like the PSP?

Doc Evils said:
So is homebrew on the Wii worth it? Will you be able to still play legit games that tricks the disc into thinking it's a higher firmware like the PSP?

I believe they've gotten around the problem of on-disc updates, yes. Is it worth it? In non-pirating terms? There's not a whole hell of a lot going on now besides emulators and simple games, but it's still very much in its infancy. There really is no harm in at least installing the Homebrew Channel.

angelfly said:
If your using cheap dvd-r's it can be worn down pretty fast.

This is something of an urban legend, much like the one where if you send in your Wii to Nintendo they'll search it for Homebrew channel tickets and send you up to the FBI or something.

Cheap DVDs may wear out your lens faster, but no faster than they would wear out a standard DVD player. You won't be needing to pot tweak within a month of watching movies or loading roms off DVDs.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Well good luck then. Personally I would bother with it when i get a wii. Already have 7 dvd players in this house alone. :lol

dannie

new GeckoOS:D wii+GC region free

http://www.usbgecko.com/files/geckoOS16f.zip
Gecko 1.06f + Ocarina & Gamecube Game Support
---------------------------------------------

GeckoOS is now combined with ocarina, with lots of bugs fixed. This is not a major release but alot of nice things have been fixed.

Things fixed.

1. Gamecube Games / Imports now supported (thanks bushing!)
2. Date and Time issue fixed in games like Wii Sports, Brawl.
3. Glitching games fixed, i.e Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Metroid Prime 3 etc.
4. Sound fixed in Twilight Princess when using Gecko OS, WiiRD
5. SD Card bug fixed. Now you can still access the SD Card when using ocarina.

Tenbatsu

dannie said:
new GeckoOS:D wii+GC region free

http://www.usbgecko.com/files/geckoOS16f.zip
Gecko 1.06f + Ocarina & Gamecube Game Support
---------------------------------------------

GeckoOS is now combined with ocarina, with lots of bugs fixed. This is not a major release but alot of nice things have been fixed.

Things fixed.

1. Gamecube Games / Imports now supported (thanks bushing!)
2. Date and Time issue fixed in games like Wii Sports, Brawl.
3. Glitching games fixed, i.e Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Metroid Prime 3 etc.
4. Sound fixed in Twilight Princess when using Gecko OS, WiiRD
5. SD Card bug fixed. Now you can still access the SD Card when using ocarina.
Awesome!!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
itxaka said:
I posted on the older pages an utility to back-up those problematic saves ;)

EDIT: Here it is, Savegame extractor and installer

Okay. Question time... how does this work with ONLINE Games? That is, can I copy an online save off ONE Wii and transfer it to a second Wii and KEEP all my friend codes/etc. working?

Basically, I want to be able to "back up" everything, get my Wii swapped with Nintendo again if problems occur, then put everything BACK on the Wii. The only issue I see is that the new Wii will have a different internal hardware ID (the MAC, probably), and that I believe Nintendo WiFi games check the MAC against the Friend Codes.

itxaka

Defeatist
wooooo

PSX emulator for Wii and GAMECUBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsx5przouqk

It runs between 25 and 90 fps all the time, and it's just a quick port rigth now, but it's being worked on. Only software rendered for the moment!

Word is, that is gonna run on Gamecube at 60 fps locked!

[FUCK YEAH]
AND IT WILL USE NETWORK PLAY!!!!
[/FUCK YEAH]

DavidDayton said:
online saves

No idea, never used the program. You should try it :(

itxaka

Defeatist
Interview qith emu_kidid (Best coder for the GC IMO)

Interview with Emu_Kidid - Co-Author of WiiSX (09-08-08)
Conducted by Brakken

> So, you're porting PCSX to the Nintendo Wii and GameCube. What motivated you to do this?

The motivation has always been there, but Sepp256 and I decided to finally get the port started whilst Tehpola works on the dynarec for Wii64 to get it up to full speed. It's a very quick and dirty port right now, but we're slowly working on getting it to be more user friendly. Considering it's only a side project and that our main focus is still Wii64, this has progressed pretty far in such a short time

> Who is working with you on this coding project?

Sepp256 (aka GX guru) is working on the PEOPS GPU port to GX and other general coding throughout the port.

Tehpola is working on various important parts of the port, such as getting plug-ins statically linked and helping out with various endian issues.

I worked on getting the initial code compiling and running on Gamecube and Wii, but also putting together basic plug-ins such as Pad and CD-Rom.

> As PCSX is based on x86 code is it difficult to port it to it to a Power-PC architecture?

So far in the port, we are using the pure interpreter which is written in the C programming language, but is quite fast. This is why we chose PCSX, we knew that it was quite fast even on lower-end machines. Later on, we plan to get a dynarec up and running, however, we were quite lucky to find an already complete power-PC dynamic re-compiler written for this emulator, but it does need work as it relies on Mac OS quite a lot.

> What parts are ported and what remains to be done?

The graphics processing unit (GPU) is being ported with mainly software rendering right now, but will later hopefully all be possible in GX. Basic Input and CD-Rom support are somewhat working right now, however they both contain numerous bugs we are aware of.

The only part which hasn't been ported at all yet is the sound processing unit (SPU). It's not necessarily needed to get things tested but of course will get done eventually.

> Will the emulator support plug-ins?

The emulator uses statically linked "Plug-ins" so no, there's no support for plug and play "Plug-ins". We plan to utilize the best open sourced plug-ins right from the beginning to eliminate the need for different ones to be used.

> PCSX was recently updated with Network Play. Do you plan on implementing this feature?

Yes, we plan to add Network Play to PCSX
after all the other major parts of it are complete and full speed. Net play will work through traditional wireless on the Wii and also on Gamecube throughout the BBA (and possibly through the USBGecko).

> What will be some major differences between the Nintendo Wii and Gamecube versions?

Hopefully by the end of it, they should be identical apart from the Wii version having input from the Wii input devices such as the Wii remote and of course loading from the front SD slot.

Speed wise, we're pretty sure we can get full FPS on the Gamecube and Wii without any feature loss

> Do you have any special plans for the emulator, like USB or Wiimote support?

We hope to support USB as soon as it's added into the libFAT cvs, however it might need some optimizations to get it working full speed. Wiimote support is pretty much a given these days with homebrew on the Wii, but we do plan to support the classic controller and possibly a nunchuck combo with the Wii remote. We also plan to add in DVD support once the menu is completed.

> Is there any set time-line on an initial preview release?

There's no set time-line yet, but it should definitely be before the end of this year.

itxaka said:
Word is, that is gonna run on Gamecube at 60 fps locked!

I'm not very tech minded, so does that mean PSX games will run on Wii at 120fps since it's basically two game cubes stuck together?

J/K

itxaka

Defeatist
Axalon said:
If the Wii PCSX can read PS1 discs, I am so playing my copy of MGS on it.

Nope, it doesn't have the hardware needed to read cds :( You gotta either make isos of the game and burn them to a dvd (FF compilation, Resident evil compilation?) or stick them on a usb dongle. I really don't care as I already have mines done for use with the psp and they took like 2 minutes to do for disc (man, I forgot how small were the cds!).

Yes ! Just managed to copy back my SSBB, Mario Kart, and PES Wii saves into my brand new Wii without problem, thanks to the awesome Savegame Extractor/Installer app :D .
Fact is, I would have lost every single one of these saves if it wasn't for this solution, given that, as I expected, when I sent my faulty Wii to Nintendo's repair center a month ago, they didn't bother copying the saves for me (and remember, you can't backup the save files of online games such as these via the traditional way). So once again, thank you soooo much for making the thread that brought the possibilities of homebrew to my attention, and thanks to the hackers that could make all that possible :D .

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Stormbringer said:
Yes ! Just managed to copy back my SSBB, Mario Kart, and PES Wii saves into my brand new Wii without problem, thanks to the awesome Savegame Extractor/Installer app :D .
Fact is, I would have lost every single one of these saves if it wasn't for this solution, given that, as I expected, when I sent my faulty Wii to Nintendo's repair center a month ago, they didn't bother copying the saves for me (and remember, you can't backup the save files of online games such as these via the traditional way). So once again, thank you soooo much for making the thread that brought the possibilities of homebrew to my attention, and thanks to the hackers that could make all that possible :D .

Okay, important question time...

Do your ONLINE FRIEND LISTS for those games still work?

manzo

Just tried out the GC region free booter. Found out a few things (NTSC Wii with PAL GC games)

- 50hz only titles don't boot at all (Tales of Symphonia, Mario Party 5)
- F-ZERO GX PAL RUNS IN 480P FUCK YEAH
- 480p enables in some 60hz games, some run in 480i (RE4)

Alright, so I just encountered my first issue related to the save transfer : the Mario Kart Channel wouldn't update (I would click the channel update option, and it would bring me an error code). THANKFULLY, someone, somewhere, found a relatively simple workaround to this (tried it, it worked).
Anyway, here are some of the modes I tried, and which do work fine so far :

- the basic online racing modes
- the random ghost race mode
- online rankings
- I kept all my stats, including my online points
- I could enter a contest (though only after fixing the channel update issue) and send my record
- I could access my friends list, though I didn't add anyone so far.

I also tested most of SSBB's online modes, which seem to work fine so far (including the Smash Service), though I've yet to put to test the most crucial part : the friends list and friends codes...
Speaking of which, given that :
- No one I know owns a copy of Mario Kart
- The only person I know with a copy of SSBB is currently struck by the Disc Read Error of Doom

...I'd be glad if one of you guys with a copy of Smash Bros or Mario Kart would be willing to share friends codes with me so I can test that out as soon as possible...
My codes for these games :

- SSBB : 0559-8456-6393
- MK : 0817-5628-8535

Link1110

I rented Force Unleashed, and it's asking me to do a system update. I have homebrew channel installed, so will I stuill have homebrew capability if I install the update?

Good news : just tried out SSBB's friends matching functionality with a few GAFfers, and thankfully, it seemed to work perfectly. I had absolutely no problem adding anyone, or playing a few matches. So here is hoping this MK Channel update issue remains a completely singular one for the time being...

xero273

yoopoo said:
What you need:

-SD card
-Zelda TP Wii
-Wii Brew SD Installer http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Brew_SD_Installer

After running SD installer, copy the Zelda save file from SD card to Wii. Run Zelda, talk to the fist guy you see. Done.

I want to make sure I am installing this right. Do I need to have beaten twilight princess in order to run this installer or just play it once and save? Once I install I can run GeckoOS, correct? Thanks.

OK guys, I just installed GeckoOS V1.07 (with the HBC) and I can't get any of my PAL GCN games to work on my US Wii ;_;

I don't know what I'm doing wrong - everything seems to load just fine and when the game is meant to load... nothing. The screen just goes black. I've tried this with several games now. Is this common?

xero273 said:
I want to make sure I am installing this right. Do I need to have beaten twilight princess in order to run this installer or just play it once and save? Once I install I can run GeckoOS, correct? Thanks.
I did this just now and didn't beat the game. I don't even know any of the story. I played right up to the first point where I could save the game, then replaced the save file and went through the rest of it. I have the HBC working and GeckoOS V1.07.

But... but... but...

I WANT MY PAL GCN ACTION!!!

markatisu

yoopoo said:
What you need:

-SD card
-Zelda TP Wii
-Wii Brew SD Installer http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Brew_SD_Installer

After running SD installer, copy the Zelda save file from SD card to Wii. Run Zelda, talk to the fist guy you see. Done.

That worked amazingly well and fast, I think it took me about 10min from start to finish :D

I love how you can download apps from the Homebrew Browser, made getting ScummVM and Gecko OS super easy!!

xero273

I sucessfully installed the homebrew channel, but I can't get the homebrew browser to work. When I select homebrew browser, it goes to initialize network and says can't connect to network and exits back out. I tested the wii and I can connect to the internet. How do I fix this?

Threi

notag
xero273 said:
I rented it, played about 5 minutes, and deleted the save :lol

I don't understand any of this techno mumbo jumbo. If the WiiBrew comes with the Zelda save hack built in, why do you need a a copy of the game?

Do you have to use the Zelda disc every time you want to boot up the homebrew?

I don't plan on trying to install this till the Capcom Vs game comes out. It really serves no purpose for me other to play games that won't release in the states.

xero273

comedy bomb said:
I don't understand any of this techno mumbo jumbo. If the WiiBrew comes with the Zelda save hack built in, why do you need a a copy of the game?

Do you have to use the Zelda disc every time you want to boot up the homebrew?

I don't plan on trying to install this till the Capcom Vs game comes out. It really serves no purpose for me other to play games that won't release in the states.

You only need the Zelda disc once. You can borrow the game from somewhere.

Seriously, can no one help me with my GeckoOS problem? The only PAL games I have are GCN games (and I still haven't played them all). I need them to work ;_;

Even when I reboot into "Region Free Mode", it detects my GCN disc.... but then fails to play it entirely.

Top Bottom