• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 games list & SPE usages

DonMigs85

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I would love to see an MLAA patch (if possible) for all the older Sony games. Sony could even market it as a graphical upgrade.
Man, Naruto UNS would really benefit from it.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I would love to see an MLAA patch (if possible) for all the older Sony games. Sony could even market it as a graphical upgrade.
I doubt it'd be possible honestly, wouldn't they need to put that through some serious QA?

Agreeing that it'd be cool for inFamous but I'd rather see Sucker Punch devote their time to inFamous 2. (also, inFamous would benefit more from 60fps than from MLAA)

badcrumble said:
Agreeing that it'd be cool for inFamous but I'd rather see Sucker Punch devote their time to inFamous 2. (also, inFamous would benefit more from 60fps than from MLAA)

Other than BOP, is there any open world game that runs at 60fps? For the most part you're lucky to get run that runs at a steady 30fps.

KillerAJD

Schrade said:
Think of what first party Sony Studio is known for post processing and graphics excellence. Yeah, that'd be Guerilla. They are seriously into the tech.
Sure, I was just pointing out that it could be a multitude of Sony studios :p

SolidSnakex said:
Other than BOP, is there any open world game that runs at 60fps? For the most part you're lucky to get run that runs at a steady 30fps.
inFamous for brief fractions of a second in certain low-detail parts of the game and oh god it's beautiful.

Afrikan

KillerAJD said:
Sure, I was just pointing out that it could be a multitude of Sony studios :p

no you could be right, when I first heard the interview I thought he was talking about Sony Cambridge.

isn't that Sony's go to tech team?

badcrumble said:
I doubt it'd be possible honestly, wouldn't they need to put that through some serious QA?

I think it would be technically possible - my reasoning is that PC games sometimes get new graphical options through patches and mods (eg. SSAA in the ENB mod fo GTA4, and AA for Batman on ATi cards iirc). But yeah, the nightmare that is QA would cock-block it.

I rather have Infamous at 30 fps with MLAA. Infamous at 60 fps would shrink down everything in the game for a stable framerate and make it worst off.

DonMigs85

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I think it would be technically possible - my reasoning is that PC games sometimes get new graphical options through patches and mods (eg. SSAA in the ENB mod fo GTA4, and AA for Batman on ATi cards iirc). But yeah, the nightmare that is QA would cock-block it.
Probably only if the game didn't make much use of the SPEs to begin with, but I think InFamous gave them a pretty good workout. Might work for Ridge Racer 7, Naruto UNS and maybe Valkyria though.

badcrumble said:
inFamous for brief fractions of a second in certain low-detail parts of the game and oh god it's beautiful.

Oh I agree that it's beautiful. All you need to do is play one of EA's open world NFS games and then play BOP. The difference is staggering. But it just seems like it's very difficult to get an open world game running at 60fps.

DonMigs85

SolidSnakex said:
Oh I agree that it's beautiful. All you need to do is play one of EA's open world NFS games and then play BOP. The difference is staggering. But it just seems like it's very difficult to get an open world game running at 60fps.
If only Sony/Nvidia retained all 16 ROPs from the Geforce 7800 for RSX... And a 256-bit bus.

SamBa

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
I rather have Infamous at 30 fps with MLAA. Infamous at 60 fps would shrink down everything in the game for a stable framerate and make it worst off.

I agree that better anti-aliasing will probably be more beneficial than going beyond 30 FPS in this case.

Infamous isn't a fast paced game like a racer or a game like Super Stardust HD. Eight years ago I wrote a small opinion piece for a popular tech website regarding Frames Per Second: Fact & Fiction in reply of all the FPS whoring going back then as well. 30 FPS is actually very smooth for animation, especially combined with tricks such as motion blur for faster paced scenes. Key to finding an answer to such questions is finding the limits of human perception (cartoons heavily exploid this, animators look at what they can get away with with the least amount of effort, some cartoons even resort to horrible animation by going as low as showing 3 to 4 frames per second).

IMO for most types of games 60 FPS is plain overkill (going beyond that is overkill for any kind of game or the person is some kind of superhuman in this regard, but I wouldn't envy that).

DonMigs85

SamBa said:
I agree that better anti-aliasing will probably be more beneficial than going beyond 30 FPS in this case.

Infamous isn't a fast paced game like a racer or a game like Super Stardust HD. Eight years ago I wrote a small opinion piece for a popular tech website regarding Frames Per Second: Fact & Fiction in reply of all the FPS whoring going back then as well. 30 FPS is actually very smooth for animation, especially combined with tricks such as motion blur for faster paced scenes. Key to finding an answer to such questions is finding the limits of human perception (cartoons heavily exploid this, animators look at what they can get away with with the least amount of effort, some cartoons even resort to horrible animation by going as low as showing 3 to 4 frames per second).

IMO for most types of games 60 FPS is plain overkill (going beyond that is overkill for any kind of game or the person is some kind of superhuman in this regard, but I wouldn't envy that).
As far as I know, unless you have the visual system of a fly anything above 60FPS is useless. It's the minimum framerate where you don't perceive any image breakup/judder or "splitting".

SamBa

Banned
I was amongst the 0.1% best ranked players in Super Stardust HD (haven't checked my ranking in quite a while though), so I think I have above average perception times (and it's quite insane in hardcore mode). When I upgrade to a 3DTV, I will see how this will affect my gaming performance, I can imagine it may be easier to jugde the timing of mines falling down and such).

Amongst the many rewards Uncharted 2: Amongst Thieves received is also the "Outstanding Achievement in Animation" award from the Academy Of Interactive Arts & Sciences. Maybe it would be most helpful if the devs could borrow Uncharted 2's animation blending technology for Infamous 2. :D

SamBa

Banned
Some scientists are dissapointed newer PS3s don't come with a Linux option for doing their research.

Some lofty comments regarding the PS3's processor performance on Ars Technica:

University of Massachusetts:

According to the physicists at UMass, the PS3's "incredibly low cost make it very attractive as a scientific computing node, i.e., part of a compute cluster. In fact, it's highly plausible that the raw computing power-per-dollar that the PS3 offers is significantly higher than anything else on the market today."

"The gaming and graphics market continues to push the state of the art and lowers the cost of High Performance Computing, FLOPS/WATTS per dollar," the Air Force Research Laboratory told Ars. "This is important for embedded HPC, our area of expertise.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/how-removing-ps3-linux-hurts-the-air-force.ars

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
SamBa said:
Some scientists are dissapointed newer PS3s don't come with a Linux option for doing their research.

Then they should ask Sony to make a special unit for them with Linux only and an appropriate price tag with a small profit. No blu-ray, no PS3 OS, just hardware.
Buying PS3's for research projects under the manufacturing costs was not good for Sony, so not listening to science community was not their main concern.

I did ask our labs to use PS3's for number crunching... no luck. Old geezers, not used to getting advice on tech stuff.

SamBa

Banned
dofry said:
Then they should ask Sony to make a special unit for them with Linux only and an appropriate price tag with a small profit. No blu-ray, no PS3 OS, just hardware.
Buying PS3's for research projects under the manufacturing costs was not good for Sony, so not listening to science community was not their main concern.

I did ask our labs to use PS3's for number crunching... no luck. Old geezers, not used to getting advice on tech stuff.

Agreed, with the news spreading amongst scientists and even cheaper, more efficient PS3s like the PS3 slims this could have had a significant impact on Sony's bottom line. Luckily to this point this had very little impact so far, as a lot more PS3 software was sold last FY than XBox 360 software despite the 360's 4.47 million global hardware lead.

Maybe interested scientists should approach Sony collectively and a new PS3 lacking a Blu-Ray drive, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI, USB, DS3 controller, audio, shiny casing, etc could be provided even cheaper that way. But if Sony actually does something like this, I think they should demand scientists using current PS3s be released from their captivity, they ought to be sitting underneath a HDTV and connected to a surround audio system in people's homes playing PS3 games and movies.

spwolf

SamBa said:
Agreed, with the news spreading amongst scientists and even cheaper, more efficient PS3s like the PS3 slims this could have had a significant impact on Sony's bottom line. Luckily to this point this had very little impact so far, as a lot more PS3 software was sold last FY than XBox 360 software despite the 360's 4.47 million global hardware lead.

Maybe interested scientists should approach Sony collectively and a new PS3 lacking a Blu-Ray drive, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI, USB, DS3 controller, audio, shiny casing, etc could be provided even cheaper that way. But if Sony actually does something like this, I think they should demand scientists using current PS3s be released from their captivity, they ought to be sitting underneath a HDTV and connected to a surround audio system in people's homes playing PS3 games and movies.

the way profit margins work on non-subsidized hardware, you would have such "PS3" costing >1k.... and thats why IBM never managed to sell their cell servers either.

SamBa

Banned
@ spwolf

I understand, but maybe with large enough collective orders I think there could be potential. Some expenses could possibly be reduced this way like not having to account for the retailer's share within the PS3's pricing and possibly reduced taxes as such units would be used for scientific research only, including medical research.

Feasible or not, IMO an interesting idea.

Truespeed

spwolf said:
the way profit margins work on non-subsidized hardware, you would have such "PS3" costing >1k.... and thats why IBM never managed to sell their cell servers either.

Never managed to sell their Cell bladed servers? So I guess they just gave them away when they built supercomputers for their clients, right? :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Deferring lighting and doing it on SPUs seems to be gaining popularity.

A presentation by Bizarre on their lighting for Blur, and their 10 step guide to 'free' lighting on PS3:

http://www.slideshare.net/nonchaotic/a-bizarre-way-to-do-realtime-lighting

mhubrt.png

(It's free for them in the sense that they were able to squeeze the SPU lighting tasks around their existing SPU jobs without performance impact)

The presentation goes into a lot of depth, and gives a peek at their job distribution on the SPUs. The guy who presented this will be doing a talk on 'SPU-assisted rendering' at the Develop conference, the abstract for which gives a peek at a couple of other things they're doing graphics-wise on the cpu (vertex processing for car crashes, and 'spu-accelerated weather effects').

Coincidentally, Split/Second seems to be doing something similar with its lighting.

With a deferred shading renderer we defer the lighting of the scene until after the 3D geometry pass. At this point we have all the geometry rendered with albedo colour and then we apply the lighting in screen space.

This means we can render as many lights as we have fill-rate for - in some of our night-time levels the number of visible lights runs into the hundreds.

On the PS3 the lighting pass is done on the SPUs to take some of the load from the GPU.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-splitsecond-demo-showdown

What was the first PS3 game to defer lighting onto the SPUs? Was it KZ2? Anyhow, it's nice to see these things spread out.

gofreak said:
Deferring lighting and doing it on SPUs seems to be gaining popularity.

A presentation by Bizarre on their lighting for Blur, and their 10 step guide to 'free' lighting on PS3:

http://www.slideshare.net/nonchaotic/a-bizarre-way-to-do-realtime-lighting

mhubrt.png

(It's free for them in the sense that they were able to squeeze the SPU lighting tasks around their existing SPU jobs without performance impact)

The presentation goes into a lot of depth, and gives a peek at their job distribution on the SPUs. The guy who presented this will be doing a talk on 'SPU-assisted rendering' at the Develop conference, the abstract for which gives a peek at a couple of other things they're doing graphics-wise on the cpu (vertex processing for car crashes, and 'spu-accelerated weather effects').

Coincidentally, Split/Second seems to be doing something similar with its lighting.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-splitsecond-demo-showdown

What was the first PS3 game to defer lighting onto the SPUs? Was it KZ2? Anyhow, it's nice to see these things spread out.
It's interesting that a 3rd party developer is trying to benefit from cell's architecture. As the next generation of "high end" consoles will probably get more CPU cores, could it be a reason for developers to try now on PS3 what will be common practice next generation?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BrainZEROX said:
It's interesting that a 3rd party developer is trying to benefit from cell's architecture. As the next generation of "high end" consoles will probably get more CPU cores, could it be a reason for developers to try now on PS3 what will be common practice next generation?

If next-gen we see a more general approach to rendering, which we should - i.e. very custom software techniques running on many cores of one flavour or another - then doing stuff like this on cell might be a welcome re-acquaintance with that world.

Indeed, the Bizarre slides say toward the start that doing this work for the SPUs gives them a 'glimpse' at how an implementation might work on DX11 compute shaders (they don't elaborate, but maybe they mean in terms of how you mash data for SPUs or whatever).

missile

// Digital Foundry: Blur Tech Interview
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-blur-tech-interview

Good article, makes me wanna play the game. The article is spot on and
talks a lot about stuff being done on the SPEs.

Digital Foundry: Blur Tech Interview said:
Steven Tovey: Our approach to PS3 development has come on a lot even in the last 18 months since I've been a member of the team here. We now have almost all of the rendering, physics and audio on the SPUs and any new systems developed for Horizon are designed specifically with the SPUs in mind.

Designing for the SPUs also has the pleasant side effect of increasing performance on our other target hardware since it will typically mean giving a lot of thought to patterns of memory access and parallelism, ...
This.

NinjaBoiX

Ballistictiger said:
I'd rather have inFamous with a draw distance more than 100ft. :(

DonMigs85

It'll be a travesty if Naruto UNS 2 ships with 4X AA on the 360, and none again on PS3. Even Quincunx would be acceptable.

Top Bottom