• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Seven PC teaser trailer (XSEED, Summer 2017, HD 60FPS)

Ys VI had such a good soundtrack. I think it's probably my favorite in the series, overall.
RIP Wataru Ishibashi. It's a shame few know or care about the unused Oath in Felghana tracks which Ishibashi and Takahide Murayama made before Falcom chose Yukihiro Jindo for all but one contribution to the final game.

I hope they change the charge mechanic to the one like YsVIII, I hate holding the attack button all the time. ;(
Tom's asked the port team to look into this, but it's unlikely they'll implement an option for auto-charge since it's a complex set of animations and code to wrangle this late in development. Maybe some of the Falcom fan hackers I know could figure something out. Worst case, Cheat Engine might do the trick.

Amirnol

As someone who has only played Oath, and loved it, what can I expect from this game? Looks quite a bit different.

preta

Thanks for the info. I really need to get started with the series sometime soon. Is there a general consensus regarding the best game in the series to get started on?

I'd recommend I and II Chronicles, VI: The Ark of Napishtim, or Oath in Felghana as the best starting points.

I and II were the start of the series, and Chronicles is a fantastic remake that does a good job of preserving their unique identity while polishing and modernizing them just the right amount.

Ark of Napishtim was the first real "modern" Ys game, released in 2003 after an 8-year hiatus for the series. It laid the groundwork for future games in many ways (in both story and gameplay), and while it may feel a bit less polished compared to them now, it's still well worth returning to.

Oath in Felghana was the next game after Ark of Napishtim, and I still think that in terms of gameplay it's the most polished and finely tuned game in the entire series. And while most Ys games don't require you to have played any other game to understand their story, Felghana's story especially works well standalone.

Seven is also a perfectly fine starting point - the gameplay style is very different from all prior games anyway, so no need to worry about that, and the story is virtually entirely standalone except for one returning character from Ark of Napishtim.

The only thing I would caution against, really, is playing Origin before I and II, as it's a strongly connected prequel that was meant to be played with knowledge of them. (And for the truly ideal experience you'd also have knowledge of Ark of Napishtim.)
I'm going to disagree with this hardcore. I feel like 75% of the people who say this, have never played Ys V (not saying you, just over the internet in general). Personally I had a really fun time with V, and it shits all over the shit stain train wreck that is VI. Seriously Ark is the absolute worst in the series, by a long country mile. V is different for sure, but it begins to introduce things that become more common in the modern Ys games, and while it's short, it's probably twice the length of Ys III.

Personally I feel people should stop being told not to play Ys V and allowed to try it for themselves. I'd play through Ys V about 10 more times before ever picking up Ark again.

*edit*
I had no idea so many people thought Origins was the best Ys game. I do not share my Ys taste with the rest of GAF if that's the case at all.

I've played both V and VI, and found the latter to be far, far better in almost every way. I honestly don't understand how you can say this, as they're flawed in similar ways, but V more so in almost all cases. You're going to have to explain your reasoning here.

Origin being one of the more popular games isn't just a GAF thing either - I see that sentiment in a lot of places.

As someone who has only played Oath, and loved it, what can I expect from this game? Looks quite a bit different.

It's got significantly more focus on story. The biggest addition in gameplay is the addition of the party system, which allows for switching between three active characters, all of whom have their own moves and skills. The ability to jump is replaced with a dodge roll, which means that level design is largely more horizontally oriented with less platforming than Oath in Felghana. There's also the introduction of Flash Guard, which allows you to guard against attacks with no damage if timed correctly (and if it's mistimed, you'll take more).

I've played both V and VI, and found the latter to be far, far better in almost every way. I honestly don't understand how you can say this, as they're flawed in similar ways, but V more so in almost all cases. You're going to have to explain your reasoning here.

I'm speaking off the PS2 version here. Ark has some of the worst platforming in the history of video games. Hell the stupid long jump maneuver is just annoying to have to pull off, there are a few places you need to do it, and one of them needing you to land on a 4 pixel grid you can't see. Hit boxes that are picky and finicky with registering hits on enemies, specially smaller ones. Terrible texturing work, I mean you can see the small like 52 x 52 pixel textures repeating over and over again. The grass looks like a repeating field of squares. Everything about the game felt like a chore and a slog. There's no warping so every time you need to go back and forth between the 2 cities it's running through so much of the land, even after the bridge is rebuilt. The game is just so much fucking back and forth too. I thought the dungeon designs were boring and lack luster, that the player has to run through multiple times.

While V had some hit box issues as well, and lame platforming, none of it made me anywhere near as frustrated as what was in VI. V definitely chased the Square visual style of RPG/ARPG and I have no issue with that. I liked it for what it was. It may not be a very Ys style game, but its still fun and a good game. While for me I can't say that about VI. I didn't have fun with it, I had to force my self to finish it, and I don't find it a good game in it's own right.

Top Bottom