• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2017 [August] Super Serial Strain

Darkwood - $14.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
dw_scr1.png

http://www.darkwoodgame.com/

Scavenge and explore a rich, ever-changing free-roam world by day, then hunker down in your hideout and pray for the morning light.

Subsurface Circular - $5.99 (PC, Mac)
ss_10c80368931a535800bb1e98c5e1574c789d56bb.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/676820/Subsurface_Circular/

When the truth is buried, go underground. Step into this new take on text-based adventure from the award-winning team behind Thomas Was Alone and Volume. A short story that hands you the fate of the world above, as a detective looking for answers on the Subsurface Circular.

===

Anyone been following Project Infinitesimals? It's been progressing really nicely this year
Prototype level and movement
Procedural animation test
WIP Storm
Turrets/real-time effects
Pod hangar
Third-person movement/jetpack

Wozman23

Anyone been following Project Infinitesimals? It's been progressing really nicely this year
I was far more interested when it was a side scroller. The art style looked great, and everything seemed to focus more on interesting traversal mechanics of the "spider." Once it changed to first and third person, they pretty much lost me. To each his own though.

I was far more interested when it was a side scroller. The art style looked great, and everything seemed to focus more on interesting traversal mechanics of the "spider." Once it changed to first and third person, they pretty much lost me. To each his own though.
It was never a side scroller. If I recall correctly, that was the original plan but those videos were never actual gameplay, but just concept animations of what the game could be

Wozman23

It was never a side scroller. If I recall correctly, that was the original plan but those videos were never actual gameplay, but just concept animations of what the game could be

Yeah, but I really like the concepts they were exploring, especially the potential for stuff like this:
At that point it seemed a lot more platformer-y, and solely focused on the "spider."

Wok

Weird. Molecats will appear on Steam this month... in Early Access.

But it is a game which was first advertised in 2011.

I have eyes for the release of this game longer than for Iconoclasts.

Wozman23

Stumbled upon this today, and I don't think it was ever mentioned in a monthly thread (of course during my research I found it mentioned by M_B elsewhere with a different screen I wouldn't have paid any mind to):

RITE of ILK - PC, PS4, XB1, Switch
559973342_1280x720.jpg

http://www.riteofilk.com/

RITE of ILK is a local co-operative exploration game that revolves around the lives of two sacrificed children who are forced to venture through unknown lands to save their tribe from the edge of extinction. All while being tied together by a rope. The two must trek through treacherous environments, solve environmental puzzles, and return peace to their home.

Official Trailer
2016 Teaser Trailer
Twitter Page

Looks like a mix of Brothers and Team Ico/RiME.

Auctopus

Does anyone know the latest on Devolver's Crossing Souls? I was expecting a big blowout at E3 but I feel like we saw hardly anything. The game was on the sizzle reel that sat between FFVII & Shenmue III announcements.

Sky Rogue snuck out of EA just saw. Anyone have any experience with how that ended up? I remember that made a bit of a splash when it was first announced.

Does anyone know the latest on Devolver's Crossing Souls? I was expecting a big blowout at E3 but I feel like we saw hardly anything. The game was on the sizzle reel that sat between FFVII & Shenmue III announcements.

I saw on Twitter they have a playable build on Gamescom, but I don't know how far they are with the development.

Wok

Recently, there was a ranking of the best 100 games in PC Gamer.

To me, the best games are usually listed in "The Technical Excellence" at IGF. The list is so solid, even in hindsight.

Wozman23

Recently, there was a ranking of the best 100 games in PC Gamer.

To me, the best games are usually listed in "The Technical Excellence" at IGF. The list is so solid, even in hindsight.

I tend to favor the Excellence in Visual Arts or Audio categories, with this year's nominee The Flame in the Flood being a recent favorite.

Everyday Shooter gets mad love from me. I'm still waiting to hear if Queasy Games even still exists. I'm an insatiable black hole for rhythm/music games.

Gungeon just announced an upcoming update - sounds like its dropping soon

I am looking forward to the sound of a mode that perhaps eases up the difficulty a little bit. I wouldn't say I am terrible at Gungeon, I can get through the first few floors well (sometimes with zero damage too). But the later few melt me and the chance to get slightly easier versions of them to acturally reach the endgame sounds good. I might even use the opportunity to practise against the baddies and use that experience to go back and beat the current mode, that would be the hope anyway.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I am looking forward to the sound of a mode that perhaps eases up the difficulty a little bit. I wouldn't say I am terrible at Gungeon, I can get through the first few floors well (sometimes with zero damage too). But the later few melt me and the chance to get slightly easier versions of them to acturally reach the endgame sounds good. I might even use the opportunity to practise against the baddies and use that experience to go back and beat the current mode, that would be the hope anyway.

I'm fine with the difficulty - but I definitely feel that the current game's constraints with ammo and item drops doesn't really add much value to the experience. Open up the loot, the drops, the potential synergies and let the players go nuts with it.

Wok

1. The Evolution of Trust
  2. Children of Zodiarcs
  3. Kingsway

I highly suggest anyone play The Evolution of Trust. Not really a game, but really nice.

Absolver - $29.99 (PC, PS4)
Screenshot_Fight01.png

https://absolvergame.com/

Absolver is an online multiplayer combat game where players are placed behind the mask of a Prospect under control of the Guides, the new rulers of the fallen Adal Empire, who will determine your worth in joining their elite corps of Absolvers.

Distrust - $11.99 (PC)
gif_4.gif

https://distrust.info/

A helicopter crash left a group of explorers stranded near an Arctic base. As they try to find a way back, all they are doing is sinking deeper into a nightmare scenario. When they sleep, they attract a terrifying force that sucks the life out of their bodies, but the longer they battle exhaustion and stay awake, the less likely they are to survive...

20XX - $14.99 (PC)
ss_4dee338fb435533f338924eac91a67f14d26356d.1920x1080.jpg

http://batterystaplegames.com/

20XX is a roguelike action platformer that you can play with a friend. Jump and shoot your way through ever-changing levels, collect awesome new powers, and battle mighty bosses in the name of saving the human race maybe!

ARK: Survival Evolved - $59.99 (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
14.jpg

http://www.playark.com/

Stranded on the shores of a mysterious island, you must learn to survive. Use your cunning to kill or tame the primeval creatures roaming the land, and encounter other players to survive, dominate... and escape!

Upside-Down Dimensions - $15.99 (PC)
ss_cb63ccc14b05151079186b73491a075b600e039d.jpg

http://www.hydra-interactive.com/en/our-games/upsidedown-dimensions-en/

Upside-Down Dimensions is a highly visual game that combines action, hack n slash, RPG, stealth, platform and puzzles to create a unique and amazing gameplay experience. Play as two characters separated into different dimensions. Flip between these worlds to stop the nefarious Dark Shogun.

Ara of the Wanderers - PC
AOTW_Banner3.png

https://www.araofthewanderers.com/

Ara of the Wanderers is an immersive adventure game about consequences and acceptance. Find meaning in a beautiful world on the edge of ruin.

Trifox - PC, PS4, Xbox One
TrifoxPreAlphaScreenshot05.png

http://www.trifox-game.com/

Trifox is a top-down twin stick action adventure game set in a unique and colorful world inspired by classic platform games. In Trifox you play as a multi talented fox on a quest to restore and return peace to his recently invaded and plundered home. Mix and match between three different and unique play styles, fight your way through swarms of enemies

Amityville '76 - PC
Livingroom.gif

http://www.indiedb.com/games/amityville-76

Explore a full recreation of the house and its grounds. Built using photo reference the game recreates as much detail as possible including furniture, wallpapers and items. You will be able to open every drawer and closet,examine items to discover the history of the house and visit the much talked about 'red room'.

OOO - PC, iOS, Android
acTgjgy.jpg

https://twitter.com/Kennycreanor

Fast-paced evasion arcade game

Equalizer - $9.99 (PC)
DG2mOyTXoAAEvkA.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/666250/Equalizer/

Equalizer is a musical arcade game in which you act as the main character inside a music tape recorder where you have to jump on platforms and discover new possibilities, such as music tracks and environments.

Previously Mentioned

FAR

My Friend Pedro

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
A buddy of mine with lots of experience working in the game industry decided to try and make a solo indie project. It's an FPS with elements of Dark Souls, Borderlands, and Doom for example. He has worked on Subnautica, Warframe, Call Of Duty Blackops, was the lead Dev on the official Doom 2 expansion No Rest For The Living.

Thought you guys might like to give it a go. There is a free demo download with some decent length. There is no current option for purchase since it is very much a work in progress.

https://steemit.com/gaming/@thecast...the-first-demo-build-of-my-game-project-stray

ezgif.com-video-to-gif%20(19).gif

ezgif.com-video-to-gif%20(18).gif

ezgif.com-video-to-gif%20(20).gif

ezgif.com-video-to-gif%20(23).gif

ezgif.com-video-to-gif%20(24).gif

ezgif.com-video-to-gif%20(31).gif

Edit: It seems something is wrong with the link.. I'll find out what's up with it and update.
Edit: Fixed

Moobabe

Sunless Skies has hit Early Access!

If anyone backed it you should have a key sat in your inbox.

Only managed a few minutes so far but it's as I expected: amazing writing, beautiful art and music and the movement is much faster.

Very excited for this.

arcanadei

Life is Strange: Before the Storm - $16.99 (PC)
header.jpg

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Life is Strange: Before the Storm is a new three part standalone story adventure set three years before the events of the first game. This time play as Chloe Price, a rebel who forms an unlikely friendship with Rachel Amber in a dramatic new story in the BAFTA award winning franchise.

Not sure that one qualifies as indie, but I'll throw in on in case. Loved the original, this prequel seems to be getting great reviews.
Also found a CastleVania remake in Unreal, which thanks to cease and desist orders won't be completed. At least they allowed the demo to stay online. Thought some of you might be interested in it.

Anyone check out X Morph? On the fence with that

On the fence too, it does sound like a game that I would really like (I do generally like tower defence games where you can get up in the mix and start attacking the enemies yourself), but I wasn't a massive fan of Zombie Driver in the end. Also Card City Nights 2 is out so that might be my weekend game of choice for now.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm - $16.99 (PC)

Not sure that one qualifies as indie, but I'll throw in on in case. Loved the original, this prequel seems to be getting great reviews.
Also found a CastleVania remake in Unreal, which thanks to cease and desist orders won't be completed. At least they allowed the demo to stay online. Thought some of you might be interested in it.

No, Squeenix makes this

Later this month, Mindware is going to release their next title Heiankyo Alien 3671. It's a heavily arranged version of the Japanese arcade game from 1979 (which has seen numerous ports/remakes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5yuok1DRgo

Basically, you want to get as high a score as possible in 5+ minutes. While the immediate goal is to trap aliens in holes and bury them, there are a multitude of other elements to account for. It's up to the player to develop a route that includes grabbing all of the hidden treasures, destroying a ton of aliens, and raising the level as high as possible. Lives are infinite, but dying takes time and ruins the multiplier bonus. There are a number of RNG aspects (maze-design, treasure locations, etc), but it's not like players will simply luck into a great run. With practice, they can achieve consistently great scores and improve upon them.

I think it's an awesome game. It definitely scratches that Pacman CE itch.
Uploaded a bit of my playing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRfs5I-eUkU (Some of the graphics can be changed/disabled, which is why this vid looks different)

swarley64

Songbringer is released.

Songbringer - 20 € (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
I'm pretty impressed with it so far. It really scratches that Zelda 1 itch, and I absolutely love the art-style. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be getting much attention

N° 2048

I'm pretty impressed with it so far. It really scratches that Zelda 1 itch, and I absolutely love the art-style. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be getting much attention

Quoting this because I actually keep forgetting about this game.

titch

Only place i could think of that might get me an answer.

On a flight home i was watching a guy play a game on mobile.

No idea what the name was but basically it was a black background where he would link bright coloured symbols and could what looked like swipe between levels.

Could possibly create chains that changed the level when the links were made?

Any ideas?

Only place i could think of that might get me an answer.

On a flight home i was watching a guy play a game on mobile.

No idea what the name was but basically it was a black background where he would link bright coloured symbols and could what looked like swipe between levels.

Could possibly create chains that changed the level when the links were made?

Any ideas?
Was it a isometric? 2D? Puzzle grid?

titch

Was it a isometric? 2D? Puzzle grid?

2d with a top down puzzle grid - the grid wasn't overly obvious had similar bright colour scheme on a black background to the flow free games on android but looked better quality.

It looked like a more complex match/link type game but he would swipe frequently to load another screen after making a link or a match.

Oh and the screen wasnt full of symbols like match three there was quite a lot of empty space on the grid.

Also he tended to play it quite fast not really taking ages on some screens maybe linking symbols before quickly changing to another to another with a swipe

2d with a top down puzzle grid - the grid wasn't overly obvious had similar bright colour scheme on a black background to the flow free games on android but looked better quality.

It looked like a more complex match/link type game but he would swipe frequently to load another screen after making a link or a match.

Oh and the screen wasnt full of symbols like match three there was quite a lot of empty space on the grid.

Also he tended to play it quite fast not really taking ages on some screens maybe linking symbols before quickly changing to another to another with a swipe
Any chance this could be it?
Motif. by Tarik Canturk
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motif/id1208348913?mt=8

1upsuper

Just learned about this game. I'll probably pick it up in the coming days.

ferranis

Neo Member
First of all a good day!

Having a hard time to come up with a good post, but here it goes!

Over one year ago I could publish my first and only game on the play store and now I am doing a complete rework (based on the feedback I got and to migrate the codebase to kotlin). But user-feedback is only one thing. I would really love to reviece feedback from other developers and people who have knowledge in game design.

The game is called 'x=1: Learn to solve equations!' and you can see it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dg.eqs

Its completely free and without any adverticement - I just hope to teach some basic math with it. So what is it exactly about? After a long time I came up with a good descriptive text (it is also used in the play store). Read it with a twinkle in ones eye!

Solving equations often causes difficulties, either in math class or later in life. At first glance they consist of cryptic characters, which are also subject to strict rules! It gets even worse: Every time we take a step to find the desired X - we have to note down the whole equation again!

But x=1 will save your day! Use it for fun, to learn or to refresh your knowledge - you can now try to find the hard to catch X without any paperwork at all! All you have to do is to connect two parts of the equation step by step - of course only if the mathematical principles allow it. Additionally, you are free to use the equal sign as you like, so you can move things from one side of the equation to the other.

In x=1 you'll be able to solve equations build with the basic arithmetic operations + -, *, /. To spice things up, the rules of bracketing are also included. 40 preset equations gradually teach you the mathematical principles - after that you'll be released into the huge world of equations to puzzle over an infinite number of randomly generated ones!

Any feedback is more than welcome! This is (I think) an important topic and I want to improve as much as I can. So a huge thanks in advance!

Nearly forgot: To give you a further sense of what x=1 is:
zfqt3dni.jpg

thr822m8.jpg

Top Bottom