• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late To The Prosecution: Ace Attorney

mrmickfran

I'd argue that Case 5 of the third game is the pinnacle of the series. I don't think there's ever been a more perfect case, or if it's even possible to top it.
It really is the cream of the crop. Only 2-4 and 6-5 can hope to go against it.

One final question: Case 5 of AA1. Should I play it next, or after I've played AA2 & 3, given it was included in the DS re-release and not the original?

Just play it next, no harm. Case 5 isn't mentioned at all in AA2&3.

Actually, the slightly updated script of the 3DS trilogy makes a passing reference to Case 1-5 in... AA2, I think. I noticed that immediately when I played through it because every other version of the game treats that case as if it didn't exist.

I'd argue that Case 5 of the third game is the pinnacle of the series. I don't think there's ever been a more perfect case, or if it's even possible to top it.

I'd still go with 1-5 personally over 3-5.
The fey story in 3-5 has great feels, but I also like what 1-5 does with edgeworth and I feel it has the better puzzles for me - everything centring around that fantastic cctv footage. Also I prefer Gant as the antagonist, and "Wandering Detective From the Wild West" is my favourite BGM in the entire series.

One final question: Case 5 of AA1. Should I play it next, or after I've played AA2 & 3, given it was included in the DS re-release and not the original?

Play it next.

Murkas

Actually, the slightly updated script of the 3DS trilogy makes a passing reference to Case 1-5 in... AA2, I think. I noticed that immediately when I played through it because every other version of the game treats that case as if it didn't exist.

Ah didn't realise the DS script differed to the 3DS script.

MrBadger

Dunno if it's mentioned in this thread, but definitely play Ghost Trick as well, as it's just as good as the original trilogy, if not better.

The emotional payoff in that case is goddamn brilliant. I think Case 1-4 is the best case in the series, however.

Igama

Neo Member
I have to play these games someday lol, maybe this summer. I remember the first games got a Spanish dub but the 3DS ones weren't even translated lmao.

w3bba

Yes, yes, yes, play them all. But as suggested take breaks, or you might burn out since they can be quite lengthy.

Play them all in Chronological order and if you want some extra fun play the Investigations spin-offs between 4 and 5. Those have a more P&C style gameplay but the script is on point.

Also the music. God damn the music. What a beautiful soundtrack

Stopdoor

Dunno if it's mentioned in this thread, but definitely play Ghost Trick as well, as it's just as good as the original trilogy, if not better.

The emotional payoff in that case is goddamn brilliant. I think Case 1-4 is the best case in the series, however.

I found 1-5 amazing half because 1-4 was already such an incredible high, and then it just goes even harder. Part of why I think it's hard to top the first game for that one-two-punch of unrelated mind-blowing cases, it's kind of unfair.

Colocho

Banned

I agree, it's one of the most intense gaming experiences I've ever had. That whole game is brilliant, but the last case is a gaming marvel.

I'm currently on the 4th case of Dual Destinies and it has been an enjoyable ride so far, much better than Apollo Justice, but not quite at the same level of the original trilogy. I hear good things about Spirit of Justice, looking forward to that one.

GSR

It really is the cream of the crop. Only 2-4 and 6-5 can hope to go against it.

My hot take: 6-5 felt like the new dev team trying to make their own 3-5 without doing the necessary setup.

The trilogy final cases are still the GOAT.

GamerJM

Banned
My hot take: 6-5 felt like the new dev team trying to make their own 3-5 without doing the necessary setup.

The trilogy final cases are still the GOAT.

That's actually an interesting way to look at it. I think it still really succeeds largely based on how damn crazy it ends up being, but it doesn't have the emotional impact nor satisfaction that 3-5 gives you due to the lack of a setup for it.

3-5 and 1-4 are my favorite cases probably. The second half of 6-5 and AAI2-5 are amazing in a bubble though. I also lowkey love some of the smaller cases in the original trilogy, like 1-3, 2-2, and 3-3. I don't personally care for 1-5 or 2-4 that much;
1-5 just kind of drawls on and lacks a surprising reveal, and 2-4 doesn't have much to it outside the reveal which admittedly is amazing because it bucked a precedent that the series hadn't yet bucked and still hasn't revisited since.

Soph

I'll just state that the fan translation of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is great, you're doing yourself a disservice not playing it when you're a fan of AA.

I'm after all the best prosecutor

I need to go back to these. I bought the trilogy last year and loved the hell out of it, but I only beat the first game. The only part I disliked was walking around and gathering evidence. I wanted to get to the awesome trials.

These games are amazing. Fantastic series.

I need to go back to these. I bought the trilogy last year and loved the hell out of it, but I only beat the first game. The only part I disliked was walking around and gathering evidence. I wanted to get to the awesome trials.

I actually feel the same way. The courtroom parts are the best parts by far.

Fantastic series.

AA1, for me at least, is probably the best in the series, mainly due to how new all of it feels. The latter games are also great, but the series does end up repeating a few tropes. Case 1-3 never really felt like a filler cast to me, whereas the 3rd case in other games usually is.

AA2 is a slight drop, mainly because of 2-3. But AA3, holy shit, that story. 3-4 had me afraid to be alone in the dark at night. That scarred me for a while. And yeah it all comes to a head in 3-5.

It's weird to say, but even though Apollo Justice AA is my least favorite game in the series, Apollo Justice is my favorite character. It's one and done, but it necessary to play for future games in the series.

AA5 was a good return to form. Haven't finished AA6, but I am enjoying it more than 5. But I am on a pretty obvious filler case so I'm not that motivated to go back right now.

Try not to burn through the entire series, feel free to play something else in between AAs.

But yeah, cases 1-2, 1-5, 3-4, 3-5 are the best in the series.

I really hope we get some collections of the AA games on Switch or hell, even PC with how Japan's been lately on PC ports. I've only played 1-4 and the first 3 cases of AAI, but I'd love to play 5, 6, PLxAA, and AAI2.

3 will always be my favorite, but the first game was incredible for what it was. It really hooked me in and got me ready to go on a long adventure.

aravuus

Holy shit, I didn't even realize AA6 existed lmao. Gotta get to it soon.

I need to give AAI2 a second try, too. I thought the second case was pretty boring and ended up dropping it.

orient

Neo Member
Is the general consensus DD > SoJ? Because I'm struggling with DD right now and was hoping SoJ would be more engaging. I find Apollo kind of...ehhh.

MrBadger

Is the general consensus DD > SoJ? Because I'm struggling with DD right now and was hoping SoJ would be more engaging. I find Apollo kind of...ehhh.

If it is, the general consensus is wrong. I think Spirit of Justice is far better than Dual Destinies, which ultimately felt pointless and tedious to me.

But the consensus I've picked up on is that Investigations 2 is that writer's best game, and I wouldn't disagree with that.

Haha, oh man, no.

SoJ runs circles round DD, and the last case is in competition with 3-5 for best case in the series (imo, obviously)

aravuus

I remember enjoying AJ and DD quite a bit even though they don't touch the original trilogy, so you guys are just making me even more excited about SoJ. DQ8 is my go-to 3DS game for now, but I think I'll check SoJ out next.

DukeBobby

I'm not sure what the general consensus is, but I think Spirit of Justice is miles better than Dual Destinies.

Dual Destinies is by far my least favourite in the series. Even the final case is mediocre, which is a first for the series.

RRockman

Banned
So I haven't gotten a chance to play the newer pheonix wright games, but they never surpassed AA1 Spoiler
Damon Gant
as most the most menacing antagonist have they?

DukeBobby

So I haven't gotten a chance to play the newer pheonix wright games, but they never surpassed AA1 Spoiler
Damon Gant
as most the most menacing antagonist have they?

Unfortunately, no. There's an antagonist in Apollo Justice who had potential, but the showdown with them is rather anticlimactic.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm in the DD>SoJ camp, though I'm also in the extreme minority that thinks DD is the best game in the series (though the original trilogy when taken as a whole is far better than anything that proceeded it still). I like every case in DD, whereas I disliked cases 1, 4, and the first half of SoJ's 5. SoJ's 2 and DLC are good but not great, and 3 and the latter part of 5 are amazing, but SoJ just feels so LONG and bloated to me.

spiritfox

I like all the mainline games, though I'll say the original trilogy is better than the later games. They're all good, and worth playing through at least once.

I.R.I.S.

Neo Member

I am playing through SoJ right now and for the most part it's a lot better than Dual Destinies. The only flaw is
Case 4
which I really wasn't feeling at all, not just because it's so Japanese that it makes no sense in the localization but because it relies on a really tired trope. Besides that though, the game is awesome to a tee.

Bumping this, as I'm now halfway through Justice for All.

Eh.

I can entirely see why some say this is the weakest game. The cases are kind of flat and by-the-numbers, it's easy to deduce what's going on but the game ends up being contrary over the line of reasoning and the evidence you need to present, leaving many sections frustrating.

You can also tell the localisation had to scrub out a lot of cultural context in the second case, leaving the theme of the case rather trite and grating rather than interesting ('Mystic Maya', I mean come on).

Big Top is next, which I know many loathe.

emag

I'm in the DD>SoJ camp, though I'm also in the extreme minority that thinks DD is the best game in the series (though the original trilogy when taken as a whole is far better than anything that proceeded it still). I like every case in DD, whereas I disliked cases 1, 4, and the first half of SoJ's 5. SoJ's 2 and DLC are good but not great, and 3 and the latter part of 5 are amazing, but SoJ just feels so LONG and bloated to me.

I don't think DD is better than AA1 or AA3, but I do agree with the rest of the above. SoJ case 2 and the DLC have little to do with the main story (cases 1/3/5) and new mechanics, instead relying on the DD formula, and they're the stronger for it.

Menitta

Fantastic gem of a series. I still need to play AA6 and AAI1 and 2. Case 1-5 was my favourite of the series. 3-5 is the best one because it ties everything together, but I like what 1-5 does too, and Ema is awesome.

Xbro

Eh.

I can entirely see why some say this is the weakest game. The cases are kind of flat and by-the-numbers, it's easy to deduce what's going on but the game ends up being contrary over the line of reasoning and the evidence you need to present, leaving many sections frustrating.

You can also tell the localisation had to scrub out a lot of cultural context in the second case, leaving the theme of the case rather trite and grating rather than interesting ('Mystic Maya', I mean come on).

Last 10 minutes of Big Top were amazing. The rest was a slog.

Just hold out until you get to 2-4. imo it's the most intense case in the series.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Eh.

This is around where I left off years ago. One day I'll get back to JFA, but I'd likely need to start over having forgotten so much which makes my motivation even less desirable.

Eh.

If it makes you feel any better, the actual case for 2-3 is pretty good (it's one of the very few cases in the entire series that legitimately presents a whodunit scenario, and the villain is one of the better ones in the series, too), it's just everything surrounding it is... well, you'll see for yourself.

Safros

AA2 is a slog until the final trial, which was good, but AA3 completely blew me away, especially the last trial.

I played them all earlier this year in quick succession for the first time and I'd rank the original trilogy as 3>>1>2. Don't think I've ever been as emotionally invested in fictional characters as I was for most of AA3.

Top Bottom