• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Maintenance/Operational Status Thread

Did Nintendo really not prepare for this? I know the Wii U is dead, but the 3DS sales are pretty healthy, no?

What a bummer - I spent all morning trying to actually connect online with my 3DS and when I actually did, I couldn't do a fucking thing with it because Nintendo still think it's 1997 and only a handful of geeks will be going online with their blistering 56k dial-up modems.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Did Nintendo really not prepare for this? I know the Wii U is dead, but the 3DS sales are pretty healthy, no?

What a bummer - I spent all morning trying to actually connect online with my 3DS and when I actually did, I couldn't do a fucking thing with it because Nintendo still think it's 1997 and only a handful of geeks will be going online with their blistering 56k dial-up modems.

All 3 systems are getting hammered, they prepared pretty much as much as they can

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I haven't tried Wii U yet. Is everything down? Miiverse, etc?

I'm just trying to update my Animal Crossing New Leaf and it's not working. I don't even know what I'm missing out on, it just says certain network features. It probably doesn't matter since the network is KO'd anyway.

I feel for any poor bastards who just got a non-updated Wii U.
Miiverse is up for me, eshop is down, dont know about the internet browser or the other apps tho, I managed to get through once to download the update for batman arkham orgins

Kurtofan

Just saying but the Wii U isn't dead and is supported by Nintendo.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
O6TUC6W.jpg

Liking a post in 3DWorld left me stranded on this screen for minutes. Everything is broken.

Minions

I wish this Wii U update would finish. It has been hours and I'm starting to wonder if the update screen is going to burn into the tablet....

L~A

Things are slowly starting to improve. Wii U general online services are back online and all clear. And friendly reminder : wait until everything's all green before doing sensitive stuff like system transfer or update.

Incidents

There's currently an incident ongoing for the following services : Wii U (General Online services, Nintendo eShop), 3DS (Nintendo eShop), Nintendo DS (DSi Shop), Wii (Wii Shop Channel) :

- Europe : 11.08AM to ??? (Nintendo eShop Wii U & 3DS) / 2.15PM to 8.20PM (Wii U General services) / 5.50PM to ??? (Wii and DSi Shop)
- UK : 10.08AM to ?? (Nintendo eShop Wii U & 3DS) / 1.15PM to 7.20PM (Wii U General services) / 4.50PM to ??? (Wii and DSi Shop)
- USA (East Coast) : 5.08AM to ??? (Nintendo eShop Wii U & 3DS) / 8.15AM to 2.20PM (Wii U General services) / 11.50AM to ??? (Wii and DSi Shop)
- USA (West Coast) : 2.08AM to ??? (Nintendo eShop Wii U & 3DS) / 5.15AM to 11.20AM (Wii U General services) / 8.50AM to ??? (Wii and DSi Shop)
- Japan : 7.08PM to ??? (Nintendo eShop Wii U & 3DS) / 10.15PM to Day+1 4.20AM (Wii U General services) / Day +1 1.50PM to ??? (Wii and DSi Shop)

Cause of the incident : too many people trying to use the services at once.

BcXFuF7CMAAJgSv.png:large

A tweet from NoE :

We're truly sorry to notice general network service problems. Hopefully we can resolve the matter soon. Thank you for your patience.

majik13

darn, spent the last few hours trying to figure this out. Had to update both systems to try and do a system tranafer, that took awhile for them to actually connect and DL, kept getting errors.
But now its even lamer that they both have to connect to the internet to just do a system transfer. And they keep erroring out. Cant DL my ALBW either.

Have to take the train later and was looking forward to playing it on my new XL. But seems unlikeley now.

MKUltra

Wii Sports Club is free in Europe today and Boxing Day, kind of annoying I can't use it because it needs to update.w

Fjordson

The eShop on 3DS seems to be all fucked up. Setup my new 3DS and connected to my wi-fi, but now I can't get on the damn store =[ was hoping to download something since I have nothing physical to play yet :lol

Iolo

Even Apple has hours of activation problems whenever a new iPhone is released, and they have massive amounts of computing resources. It is all about balancing customer dissatisfaction with the outlay on resources that will shortly drop to a fraction of that experienced during the rush.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
How is this still happening?! Is it going to be like 1am and the NoE eShop Hamster wheel is still all melty?

Its especially concerning to me that the 3DS eShop being down also means the WiiU stuff is as well? So they share the hardware, but you don't get to share things across devices! All the shit, none of the benefit.

Was so psyched to play Mario 3D Land earlier :/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Japanese eShop has been unavailable for over 12 hours now.

The hilarious thing is that apparently you have a better chance of accessing the shop if you haven't attached your Nintendo ID to your 3DS.

I guess they just have extremely limited ID authentication servers running.

I think today is really going to sour people a lot on the download cards that they are pushing hard in Japan.

Dave Long

Banned
Days like today are why buying physical games and having things be available and playable via disc or cart or chip will always be preferable to online only services.

Can you imagine what Xbox One would have been like in a year or two if everything was essentially download only as the original plan suggested? Oy!

At the very least this means Nintendo is busy and sales happened. It's a good problem to have.

kiri

Japanese eShop has been unavailable for over 12 hours now.

The hilarious thing is that apparently you have a better chance of accessing the shop if you haven't attached your Nintendo ID to your 3DS.

I guess they just have extremely limited ID authentication servers running.

I think today is really going to sour people a lot on the download cards that they are pushing hard in Japan.

Yup...I'm that guy :/

Got my download copy of Zelda ready to go but can't access the shop here in Japan.
Got my copies of Pokemon White and Black 2 ready to move Pokemon but can't access the Mover.
Miiverse down, Shop down - same for my Wii U too.....grrrr!

Zing

Banned
"Hopefully we can resolve the matter soon" must be PR-speak for "eventually people will stop trying and you can squeeze in".

I think back to the WoW-style queuing system. I wonder what this would be like if instead of just being unable to connect or getting random error messages, you were put into a queue. Eventually you could get in and then the system would seem normal from your end while you remained connected.

L~A

Looks like the situation hasn't improved much over the night...

Besides, there was another small maintenance for Super Mario 3D World this morning, again :

Past maintenance :

- Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) : online play, leaderboards on Wednesday, Dec. 27

a) Europe : 7.00AM to 7.36AM
b) UK : 6.00AM to 6.36AM
c) USA (East Coast) : 12AM to 12.36AM
d) USA (West Coast) : 9PM to 9.36PM (Wednesday)
e) Japan : 3PM to 3.36PM

L~A

Weird, my 3ds asked me for a system update entering the eshop but then failed to download it.

Yup, an update was released last Friday, so I guess you didn't know and/or try to visit the eShop since then. But the eShop is not accessible at the moment (even if you can get it, you're just gonna get errors when trying to download stuff), so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Nothing to do but wait until things improve, which is taking a surprisingly long time. The downtime wasn't that bad when they launched the Nintendo Network ID, back in early december.

Lucifon

I've got a code for Bravely Default that I want to get downloading :( Managed to get onto the store, redeem the code after a few tries but when accepting the thing to start downloading it errored and I had to close the app. Does that mean my code is going to be stuck in some inaccessible redeemed abyss...?

L~A

I've got a code for Bravely Default that I want to get downloading :( Managed to get onto the store, redeem the code after a few tries but when accepting the thing to start downloading it errored and I had to close the app. Does that mean my code is going to be stuck in some inaccessible redeemed abyss...?

No, the game has been added to your account, and you can download it anytime by visiting the game's page on the eShop, or going to your game list (Settings, on the eShop).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yesterday I finally managed to access the eShop and I connected my eID/Wii U to my new Club Nintendo account. Supposedly this also counts as registering your WiiU and should net me 1000 points. However, if I look at my Club Nintendo, all I got was 250 points for 'making a temporary account'. Maybe it'll take some time for my WiiU to show up on the page?

L~A

Just saw this on Twitter : Pokémon Bank has been temporarily pulled from the JP eShop, due to connection problems. No idea if it's linked to the current Nintendo eShop woes, but it's quite likely:

Cheesemeister said:
Pokemon Bank has been temporarily pulled from the #3DS #eShop due to connection problems.

There's also some eShop sales delayed :

Cheesemeister said:
The 2-day 30% off sale on select 1st-party titles will also be rescheduled.

Credit to Cheesemeister for the info.

Qurupeke

Just saw this on Twitter : Pokémon Bank has been temporarily pulled from the JP eShop, due to connection problems. No idea if it's linked to the current Nintendo eShop woes, but it's quite likely:

There's also some eShop sales delayed :

Credit to Cheesemeister for the info.

Oh wow. I guess this means that there's a chance that Bank won't be out tomorrow in the rest of the world, right?

L~A

It's pretty likely Pokémon Bank will be delayed in the West, they're certainly not gonna risk the servers dying again... especially since the situation is still pretty bad.

It's pretty likely Pokémon Bank will be delayed in the West, they're certainly not gonna risk the servers dying again... especially since the situation is still pretty bad.

Pretty bad? Has anyone actually been able to do anything on the eShop yet? Am I completely unjustified to be pissed off about this? I just want to buy some games to play.

Petrie

Banned
Pretty bad? Has anyone actually been able to do anything on the eShop yet? Am I completely unjustified to be pissed off about this? I just want to buy some games to play.

No you're right. The fact that I can't do a system transfer to my new 3DS I got for Christmas and it's now the day after is absolutely absurd, and just makes me less likely to ever bother with Nintendo's digital offerings. I'll just buy used more.

As is often the case, the rational response is somewhere in the middle. It's not okay that this happened, but people also shouldn't be reacting like children.

It was working for me yesterday morning. Don't think it ever went down.

I've been playing Mario Kart Wii online since 2008 and every single year on December 25th it's barely playable. A plethora of error codes, lengthy matchmaking… but usually it goes back to normal on December 26th.

L~A

It was working for me yesterday morning. Don't think it ever went down.

Yup, Mario Kart 7 shouldn't have been affected, only Wii U Online services went down yesterday (and everything's fine now... except the eShop, obviously).

I'd love to know what's wrong exactly. I wonder if they got some hardware failures, I doubt there's still that many people trying to access the eShop right now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yup, Mario Kart 7 shouldn't have been affected, only Wii U Online services went down yesterday (and everything's fine now... except the eShop, obviously).

I'd love to know what's wrong exactly. I wonder if they got some hardware failures, I doubt there's still that many people trying to access the eShop right now.

I'm in the Italian 3DS eShop right now, you know? :lol
I'm redownloading Mighty Switch Force, in order to see if that works. It's going slow. Very slow. But it's going. So, things are probably getting better.

Damn wanted to check out some digital games before work, oh well. First time I have had network issues with Nintendo, hope they get it squared away soon.

Sort of on topic, does anyone know when the BB eShop card sale ends?

Top Bottom