• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of Shadow is beautiful

They probably mean they wanted the graphics to resemble the more anime-style concept/promotional art of classic castlevania:

224274-cv_sotn_alucard6.jpg

castlevania_ps2_conceptart_vp7yC.jpg

More Vampire Hunter D, less Lord of the Rings.

Man Ayami Kojima is so freaking good.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I had got a certain way into LoS, but hadn't played for ages. I opened the game again recently, only to find that I was only on Chapter 2 of however many. I had planned in forcing myself through it to see the story and with it Alucard, but forget it. Money waste accepted - I'll YouTube it and never touch it again.

I loved CV:Lords of Shadow, I enjoy hack n slash titles, but never thought a game would leave such a mark on me as LoS. I loved every moment of it, while people complain about slow start or some lacking chapters, I always found it to be an "adventure". I play God of War 3 and I am in a rollercoaster of awesomeness, I play LoS and I am in heck of an adventure, I liked the later much more.

The art style and the graphics were awesome back then, and could hold up to today as well, to a degree.

Also despite the shortcomings of LoS.2 I really loved it as well, being able to play as Dracul is something like a dream come true, MercurySteam did alot of things right in LoS.2 sadly the development issues caused other pieces to suffer, and the ending was a let down compared to LoS.1, I wish they went with the original scrapped ending. Either ways still LoS.2 remains one of my favorite games ever. This will never happen, but I always dream of Lords of Shadow 3 coming true to wrap up the story of Dracula, one last adventure with real closure with the Dragon.

Vinter

Loved the first game so much, which made the sequel such a dissapointment.
Maybe I will play through the games on pc to see how they play with better framerate.

Ahasverus

They probably mean they wanted the graphics to resemble the more anime-style concept/promotional art of classic castlevania:

224274-cv_sotn_alucard6.jpg

castlevania_ps2_conceptart_vp7yC.jpg

More Vampire Hunter D, less Lord of the Rings.
That's not classic Castlevania though.

This is classic Castlevania.

maxresdefault.jpg

In the end they used an artistic style closer to Kojima's for MoF and Los 2. I mean, their Alucard is just the SOTN one palette swapped.

castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-2014321191514_2.jpg

Risev1

That's not classic Castlevania though.

This is classic Castlevania.

maxresdefault.jpg

In the end they used an artistic style closer to Kojima's for MoF and Los 2. I mean, their Alucard is just the SOTN one palette swapped.

castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-2014321191514_2.jpg

I'm still surprised at how close Alucard's design in LoS 2 is compared to the original SotN's artwork.

On that note, I actually really enjoyed LoS 2. Stealth sections sucked and the story did not make a lot of sense, but I still had a lot of fun with it and I liked Vamp Gabe and his relationship with Alucard.

xviper

it's a damn good Hack and Slash game, what makes it unique from the others is that it's varied and very long

it's a damn good Hack and Slash game, what makes it unique from the others is that it's varied and very long

The developer and producer did a postmortem of sorts in an interview. The one major idea that resonated for them was that "the first game was a true adventure and the second game was more confined." This is one of the many reason the second game failed to live up to the excellence of the first. I hope one day the team will venture back to this beauty and go back to the fixed camera of the first game.

Now that God of War has abandoned this fixed camera system Lords of Shadow can have that niche all to its self.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's breathtaking, loved it. It did the "epic journey" thing so much better than GoW3 (although I liked that too). Shame what happened after this game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Castlevania was game of the past for me, sent to live it's remaining days as recycled DS vania games.
LOS shot the series back to the top, it is one of the best Castlevania games and LOS2 in context is up there too but it had too many bad gameplay design choices to please the critics of the last game and Castlevania fans that didn't like LOS.
Mercury Steam shouldn't have listen to the fans, there requests where from mediocre Castlevania game which LOS was leagues above and that ruined LOS2.

Hudo

It's breathtaking, loved it. It did the "epic journey" thing so much better than GoW3 (although I liked that too). Shame what happened after this game.
Yeah, I liked LoS far more than GoW3 as well back then. Never got around to LoS2, though. Is it that bad?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I didn't like LoS at first, but once I returned to it a couple years after its original release, I really fell in love with it. It had its problems, such as a rather lackluster combat system - but it felt like a next gen castlevania spinoff title. The music and art design especially were absolutely fantastic.

I got hyped for the DS and console sequel, but after playing the DS game... my enjoyment quickly diminished. I still haven't played LoS2 as I have heard almost nothing but poor things of it. Should I try it?

Lastyou1

Banned
This is not hyperbole...
the first LoS is the game with the greatest art style ever.

Not talking about graphics di per sé, but the art.
The envitonments are the greatest I've ever seen in my vg career.

Timbers with trolls, a gothic castle, a mad scientist lab, a bewitched music box and the depths of hell itself.
Some of these locations are stereotypized, but their rendition is pure delight.

I would play LoS again just to experience its locations and level design once more...

B_Signal

This is not hyperbole...
the first LoS is the game with the greatest art style ever.

Not talking about graphics di per sé, but the art.
The envitonments are the greatest I've ever seen in my vg career.

Timbers with trolls, a gothic castle, a mad scientist lab, a bewitched music box and the depths of hell itself.
Some of these locations are stereotypized, but their rendition is pure delight.

I would play LoS again just to experience its locations and level design once more...
there's parts, or certainly some character's that remind me of Pan's Labyrinth. The 2nd game had some really good looking moments too, there's a fight in a woodland area that looked great

Elcid

Banned
I really want to replay LoS2 now. I played it for 10min and dropped it. Couldn't get past giant furniture.

drotahorror

Listening to this soundtrack again. My God. A damn shame we won't get a Lords of Shadow with Simon.

Waterfalls of Agharta- 25:01 is my favorite.

LoS 1 was so good, one of my favorite CV's easily. The DLC was a bit rough but the main game was absolutely amazing. The length of it was insane too, a true adventure that was engaging all the way through.

It's actually depressing that we might not ever get another Castlevania game. I've grown up with the series, ever since I was a kid with an NES.

Chinbo37

Such an amazing game. I am a huge Castlevania fan and while it isnt as good as some of the all time great Castlevania games, it stands on its own as an amazing game.

Was the first game I played on my new gaming PC at 1080P and 60 fps it looked amazing.

Zannegan

I know this is a four year old thread, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I strongly disagree. Lol.

I didn't love the combat, the story failed to grab me, the music was totally unmemorable to my ear, and, honestly, the whole thing felt like a sort of uninspired "best-of" mishmash of popular game concepts at the time. I remember climbing on that first colossus boss and thinking, "Really, this again?" And it never really got better from there. Didn't help that the main character looked like someone set a coconut on top of a fridge either.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade though. Everyone likes what they like, and I'm honestly just not one for linear, setpiece rollercoasters in general. With Lords of Shadow, I just felt like I was moving in a straight line, whipping a few waves of enemies to death--rinse and repeat ad nauseum. A little more freedom to explore or even to approach enemy encounters in different/interesting ways would have made this game a lot more appealing to me. Again though, everyone likes what they like. *shrug*

Last edited:

120v

i could never get over how the game smashed you over the head with tutorials and the patrick stewart prologue. i was like, there's a good game there but this isn't really castlevania. i could roll with the first hour or so but could never really gumption serious progress. just not a fan of the GoW-like subgenre

i liked what it tried to do and it was probably one of the better approaches to bring castlevania to modern AAA - could've ended way worse. but just wasn't for me

Last edited:
I am unfortunately not a long post man. This game is beautiful and powerful. I'm so sad the team fell apart after part 1.

The music, the graphics, the story, the epicness. Never would I have imagined Castlevania like this.

I know many of you don't like it. But man, I do.

I love every chapter and every quest. Epic. I wanted more but it didn't happen. Not the way it should have.

It is what it is. I expect no replies because to most it's already forgotten.

Still, it's my favorite of last Gen, and looks awesome on PC.

What a quest.

The music is so epic. I liked the story too, although I didn't get to play the DLC.

This trailer speaks for itself. Now is that time of the year where I like to whip skeletons. It'd be a shame if this great character and music doesn't live on. Konami needs to get to work on something not a shitty HD remake. Proud of what Adi Shankar has been able to do with his Netflix series. I feel a strong connection to his Trevor. Now if we can just get a new console game.

Finally getting LoS 1 on a current gen console. Wouldn't be a bad Idea for MS to get behind a prequel to Lords of Shadow.

Happy Halloween Gabriel.

castlevania_lord_of_shadow_2_gabriel_belmont_by_art3mis_entr3ri-d7yxj7l.jpg

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
Not a popular opinion but CV was among the first games I got on my NES as a kid, and LoS felt like a long overdue return to what made me love the series in the first place. I wish Mercury Steam could've stuck the landing, but damn if the first one wasn't a great time. Long as hell too.

Top Bottom