• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In this thread I'll defend the boring parts of video games

DD

The other day I saw a thread here of a guy who wanted to talk about the Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic games. He wrote about Sonic 1, saying that although Green Hill Zone was great, some of the other areas were not favorable to Sonic's speed and movements. He said that a Sonic game should be about the flow and speed, which was impossible to achieve on some maps. I couldn't answer back then, nor I could find the thread, but I still want to talk about it many days latter.

For me, one of the best things a game can do to remain interesting is change the pace. Let's forget a bit about Sonic and get the Call of Duty franchise as an example. Which one was the most memorable entry on the CoD franchise? CoD4, right? And which ones was everyone's favorite part on that game? The stealth/sniper stage. And why? Because it was a dramatic change of pace. See, Call of Duty tend to try to make you feel like you're in the most absurd and dangerous situation. Sometimes you start the game and it feels like you're finishing it from the very first minute because it is so effin intense! Then comes a slow stealth part. It's still tense, you still cannot breath, but it's different.

Now let's go back to Sonic, and get Sonic Rush on the Nintendo DS as another example. People usually say it was a good game. Yeah, it wasn't bad, but is it good as the Genesis/Mega Drive games? No. It had better graphics, it had that flow and speed, but it wasn't so good.

So, in my opinion, Sonic was never about speed. Yeah, he's fast, be he shouldn't be that fast all that time. Changing the pace is important. Sometimes you have to take it slow and watch the scenery, listen to the music and breath. The Japanese have this word "ma", which translates as something like "gap", a space between, like a pause. You can see it on Japanese art, like on the movies made by Studio Ghibli. It's not exactly the same concept, but it serves the purpose of what I'm trying to explain. What I mean is: every great game has to have boring parts, so when the good parts come, they feel truly special. You need to work to get there. If everything is made to feel like special, it becomes routine, so it's not special anymore.

EDIT: Okay, I'm not saying that annoying parts are good. :p

And no, I didn't meant that slow pace and "boring" are the same thing. I still think that boring(y) parts are important, like an uninspiring area, for example. Great games like The Last of Us and Half Life have a lot of then.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
But it's possible to slow the pace down without making it boring. All Ghillied Up wasn't the least bit boring.

Great games have slow parts and fast parts, all of it good and none of it boring.

FinalAres

For me the best Final Fantasy games were the ones that balanced pacing well. The fast-paced exciting parts were great, but it was nice to have safe havens in between where I could relax. That's one of the main benefits of hub worlds. You have a safe 'in-game' haven between the more intense moments.

However to me that's not the same as 'the boring bits'. Final Fantasy XIII is the most boring game I've played in my life, and part of that was because there was no pacing, it was constant action action action. Also even the slow bits of other Final Fantasy games tended to shift the focus to 'different' kinds of interesting. Like progressing the plot or sidequests.

So I don't know that you are defending the 'boring' bits of games. It sounds like you're defending the slow bits which is different. /contrarian.

I get that, but the three tedious acts of Marble Zone that hit you after Green Hill Zone just kill the pace of the game stone dead. It's too much, and thankfully they learned from their mistake as they didn't do it again in future games, instead mixing up the pace within the levels themselves.

Keinning

Defend the Blood Trail Baby Maze in Max Payne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuxBa8mFvUc

It was a nice change of pace supposed to represent a nightmare, so the difficulty is according

for real though now despite the segment going on way too long i enjoyed it. had some legitimate creepy moments in it. and well, they could have found a better way of doing the bloody stuff better than turning MP into a platformer, but it wasnt that bad.

Phediuk

The driving levels in Half-Life 2 do a great job of conveying the feeling of travelling a great distance, unlike practically every other FPS ever. You actually feel like you've been on a journey at the end of them.

But it's possible to slow the pace down without making it boring. All Ghillied Up wasn't the least bit boring.

Great games have slow parts and fast parts, all of it good and none of it boring.

Well said. On that note, I enjoyed the slow intros to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Both games took the time to establish mood and atmosphere in their opening sections. Ordon Village and Skylift are both highly immersive areas that you want to spend time in. Thus, I'm glad these games make you stop and smell the roses at first.

Tain

So, in my opinion, Sonic was never about speed. Yeah, he's fast, be he shouldn't be that fast all that time. Changing the pace is important. Sometimes you have to take it slow and watch the scenery, listen to the music and breath. The Japanese have this word "ma", which translates as something like "gap", a space between, like a pause. You can see it on Japanese art, like on the movies made by Studio Ghibli. It's not exactly the same concept, but it serves the purpose of what I'm trying to explain. What I mean is: every great game has to have boring parts, so when the good parts come, they feel truly special. You need to work to get there. If everything is made to feel like special, it becomes routine, so it's not special anymore.

The slow parts in Ghibli films aren't boring, they're gorgeous and serene.

Pacing is important in games, but let's not wave away warts as being there for the sake of pacing.

DD

Okay, I'm not saying that annoying parts are good. :p

And no, I didn't meant that slow pace and "boring" are the same thing. I still think that boring(y) parts are important, like an uninspiring area, for example. Great games like The Last of Us and Half Life have a lot of then.

EDIT:
The driving levels in Half-Life 2 do a great job of conveying the feeling of travelling a great distance, unlike practically every other FPS ever. You actually feel like you've been on a journey at the end of them.
This!

Keinning

Defend the Fade from Dragon Age Origins

It was harmless and people are just memeing when they say OH NO THE FADE RUINED ORIGINS FOREVER TO ME
I wish i could have kept all my sweet forms from it to the rest of the game

The fade isn't even that long, people just take forever in it because they want all the bonus stats. No pain no gain my dude, you brought this to yourself

They could have an option for the mage origin to just realize the demons trick and kick his butt without entering the fade though

I see this argument cropping up a ton recently, especially in shooter threads, that you need to fill your game with boring shit to make it good. I had a guy argue that the original Doom games and FEAR were worse than mediocre-at-best games like Resident Evil 6 and Syndicate 2012 because the latter had more pace-destroying cutscenes and forced walking segments.

Downtime is good, but it shouldn't be boring.

This.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
defend the intro of zelda skyward sword after playing breath of the wild

Defend the Blood Trail Baby Maze in Max Payne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuxBa8mFvUc

Defend the Route 666 and Space Harrier levels in Bayonetta

Underwater/swimming levels in every video game ever made.

Defend the pacing in Uncharted 4's climbing sections.
Loved literally all of these

Also the infamous Chapter 13 in FF XV. Thought it was daring, effective and really good

Defend the Deep Roads.
I'll defend the beginning of Yakuza 3 so you don't have to...

Slice of life drama with Kazuma cleanses the soul.
The thing about this is that it has much more impact if you've played through Yakuza 1 and 2.

Also, this long drawn out section DOES have a payoff. It's meant to show you that
HE GOT OUT OF THE LIFE
and how fucking pissed he is that he's been brought back into it.

gelf

I enjoyed the Space Harrier section in Bayonetta because I enjoy Space Harrier...

I can't defend being forced to do it again if you fail the following fight though.

LordKasual

Banned
Sonic Rush was way more fun than over half the Genesis era sonic games.

"Sonic was never good" people are silly. But the "Genesis games were all so godlike" people are just as silly.

It was easily more fun and better designed than Sonic 1, Sonic 3, and Sonic CD.

Raptomex

One of the things I see as boring in games is what I guess some call "walking simulators". Any chapter, or what seems like a long segment of you controlling a character, only for you to have them to walk from one cut scene to another, with no real purpose, that's got to go. Just having characters talk to each other doesn't make it more enjoyable if I'm not actually doing anything significant. It's not immersive and I feel that in most of these scenarios, this entire sequence can probably be accomplished with a cut scene. If I'm controlling a character, I should be able to do something, or have some form of gameplay objective.

I think "ma" fits more in those walking sequences in Last of Us than it does in a mechanically slow and grueling gameplay sequences that are supposed to be "fun".

forced walking during unskippable dialog in Nier as well as running around in vast open spaces that makes me really nervous and a little angry, incapable of enjoying some of beautiful or cool/awesome moments of the game.

Defense? Is it necessary for immersion, to feel like being in a place?
I kinda wanna sit the devs responsible for these decision next to some guys like me during the route B stuff and how mashy nervous I was, how anti-immersed, shouty "back to gameplay, back to GAMEPLAY!!", "oh, noooo! That waypoint is so far AWAAAAY!", can't imagine none of the playtesters were like that.

Defend the Rocket Knight game on Steam

Especially how the game will punish you for not using a controller for it.

Defend the awful Simpsons games on SNES/Genesis

PMS341

Lets you enjoy the scenery at a leisurely pace.

qJVqkyO.gif

Top Bottom