• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arken2121

No surprise there, the press are idiots. You notice they only had a single siege weapon that entire time on the door rather than getting supply and building more to take down the door faster. Simon wasn't even attacking the door 95% of the time as he was out of range spamming 1. Then that group comes in and just wipes them. Sigh.

As I've said before, it's probably just a learning experience. I'm sure eventually these guys will phase out their "WoW" mode and do well. Glass half full.

gunbo13

He was chasing a ranger around for a good few minutes. I think he needs to utilize his leap better or at least change his weapon.
Warriors just need to learn their practice. ANET didn't ignore the rush-down issues. The rifle can cripple and the longbow can immobilize. Then you also of course have the leap skills you mentioned. You can use balanced stance if you have a condition spamming runaway and immobilize with throw bolas. Warriors also have a lot of speed boosts.

By design, warriors are always vulnerable to run-away and conditions. But I see plenty of options here to overcome. Again, another example of questionable play.
No surprise there, the press are idiots.
It is starting to get criminal.
As I've said before, it's probably just a learning experience. I'm sure eventually these guys will phase out their "WoW" mode and do well. Glass half full.
Look, not to sound like a pompous ass but I feel like I could play better then most of these guys if you gave me 10 minutes.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Warriors just need to learn their practice. ANET didn't ignore the rush-down issues. The rifle can cripple and the longbow can immobilize. Then you also of course have the leap skills you mentioned. You can use balanced stance if you have a condition spamming runaway and immobilize with throw bolas. Warriors also have a lot of speed boosts.

By design, warriors are always vulnerable to run-away and conditions. But I see plenty of options here to overcome. Again, another example of questionable play.
what?

PewPewK

Each class can do everything in terms of damage, control and healing but the way they execute it is completely different so don't be discouraged if you think one class can't heal or deal damage as compared to another.

Oh I'm well aware of that. I'm just not sure what class fits my playstyle the best, they all look so awesome.

I was leaning towards a Sylvari Elementalist since I read Ghosts of Ascalon (I know Killeen was a Necromancer, but from videos I like Elementalists more). Reading Edge of Destiny kept confirming me to go Slyvari, but now that I've seen the Human, Charr, and Norn starting zones, I like them all so much I'm just not sure.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards Elementalist, Ranger, or Mesmer. Guess I'll just sample all of them in the beta and see what I like the best.

Arken2121

It is starting to get criminal.

Look, not to sound like a pompous ass but I feel like I could play better then most of these guys if you gave me 10 minutes.

Not sure if this a comment to my post before but i'm not saying i'd do better, especially in 10 minutes. I'm just pointing out some ideas for how he was fighting. And also, warriors in other games are vulnerable in those conditions but in this game, they're deadly with long-ranged weapons.

Arken2121

Oh I'm well aware of that. I'm just not sure what class fits my playstyle the best, they all look so awesome.

I was leaning towards a Sylvari Elementalist since I read Ghosts of Ascalon (I know Killeen was a Necromancer, but from videos I like Elementalists more). Reading Edge of Destiny kept confirming me to go Slyvari, but now that I've seen the Human, Charr, and Norn starting zones, I like them all so much I'm just not sure.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards Elementalist, Ranger, or Mesmer. Guess I'll just sample all of them in the beta and see what I like the best.

That's the beauty of it, you'll probably enjoy them all somewhat equally and have quite a bit of fun. They all do look soooo good that it's difficult to just stick with one class and not have many alts.

Jira

Good news, I talked to the people I'd be playing with and we came to the conclusion that we could all just join the GAF guild. It would be about 7-8 or so people including myself. Is that okay with you guys? So I'd be able to lead or co-lead the guild if you guys are okay with my friends joining, a couple of them have GAF accounts that I know of.

zulfate

Good news, I talked to the people I'd be playing with and we came to the conclusion that we could all just join the GAF guild. It would be about 7-8 or so people including myself. Is that okay with you guys? So I'd be able to lead or co-lead the guild if you guys are okay with my friends joining, a couple of them have GAF accounts that I know of.

yeah i responded earlier to retros post where i was wondering the same thing, i have like 5 friends that will be playing would it be ok if they joined the gaf guild?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Actually, I'm going to have 4 or 5 friends getting this game with me too. A couple of them are gaffers and the rest know about the site. It would be easier to have them join too instead of the few of us forming a tiny guild.

Ferny

I would have no problem at all with friends of GAFers joining the guild. Jira the offer still stands to co-run the guild so that's cool with me.

Vinci

Danish

I may not get to play often, so... as long as I'm allowed in the GAF guild, I don't have any trouble with anyone else in it. *shrugs*

ShaneB

I would have no problem at all with friends of GAFers joining the guild. Jira the offer still stands to co-run the guild so that's cool with me.

This is probably why I'd prefer the guild to not just be called GAF, and prefered some of the suggestions mentioned earlier.

nataku

I have no issues with friends joining the GAF guild.

Personally, I think it's a little silly to restrict to GAF only. I don't want to go around opening applications or whatever but if you come across someone in the game you befriend and know is a good player I think it'd be a little strange to deny him entry into the guild because he's not a GAFer.

Ferny

This is probably why I'd prefer the guild to not just be called GAF, and prefered some of the suggestions mentioned earlier.

It's going to be a majority of GAF together. I don't see it as just because 20-30 people are not originally from GAF, then it can't be a true GAF guild. Why wouldn't you allow friends from a GAFer especially since they would invite people that are going to be helpful and represent the guild well. If they become a douche or whatever then it will be handled but I think allowing those people only allows the guild to be stronger.

I know the limit is higher than WoW and SWTOR but not sure on the exact number.

Vinci

Danish
Last I heard, GAF guilds don't tend to last long. So it's probably not a bad idea to include folks from outside of GAF to help fill in the ranks.

Jira

I think in a guild video from the press beta they had uhh 147 in the guild? So at least 200 would be my guess, probably higher.

Ferny

It's at least 100 but i'd prefer a smaller tight-knit group over massive numbers.

You can always run with the same people in the guild. Some people just want to join and contribute to the guild in different ways but having a big guild isn't a bad thing. Having a big group only makes it easier to find a group, get help, and always have people to talk to.

Retro

Name: NeoGAF
Tag: GAF

Easy enough ;D

Yep, that's why I put it at the top; it's short, sweet, and if anyone wonders what the fuck it means, there's a Wikipedia page for us already. Sounds like NeoGAF it is!

yeah i responded earlier to retros post where i was wondering the same thing, i have like 5 friends that will be playing would it be ok if they joined the gaf guild?
Actually, I'm going to have 4 or 5 friends getting this game with me too. A couple of them are gaffers and the rest know about the site. It would be easier to have them join too instead of the few of us forming a tiny guild.

Awesome news. As long as you're on the same server as the GAFGuild, your friends don't actually need to be a part of GAFGuild. Don't take that as me saying "Your friends aren't welcome" because they absolutely are. I'm just saying that if some people want to form or join a hardcore PVP guild or something, as long as you're on the same server as GAF you can be a part of both. That's the beauty of the multi-guild system (and it's insane nobody has ever done that before either).

If everyone can get their friends and such on the same server, there's no reason they can't join up. If they don't want to, at least they're on the same server and everyone can be a part of whatever guilds form up that way.

You can always run with the same people in the guild. Some people just want to join and contribute to the guild in different ways but having a big guild isn't a bad thing. Having a big group only makes it easier to find a group, get help, and always have people to talk to.

More people is hardly a bad thing, it's not like we'll have people fighting for raid slots and such. I say, the more the merrier. If Guild Progress is based on meeting a multitude of goals, then it makes sense to have lots of people with differing interests.

Things are stating to come together in an awesome way.

Now we play the waiting game...

Jira

Yep, that's why I put it at the top; it's short, sweet, and if anyone wonders what the fuck it means, there's a Wikipedia page for us already. Sounds like NeoGAF it is!

Awesome news. As long as you're on the same server as the GAFGuild, your friends don't actually need to be a part of GAFGuild. Don't take that as me saying "Your friends aren't welcome" because they absolutely are. I'm just saying that if some people want to form or join a hardcore PVP guild or something, as long as you're on the same server as GAF you can be a part of both. That's the beauty of the multi-guild system (and it's insane nobody has ever done that before either).

If everyone can get their friends and such on the same server, there's no reason they can't join up. If they don't want to, at least they're on the same server and everyone can be a part of whatever guilds form up that way.

Things are stating to come together in an awesome way. Now we play the waiting game...

Yeah, FFXI had the linkpearl system, but you had to carry a damn item for each guild and inventory space was quite limited as it is. The game also didn't promote co-operation in the way GW2 does.

Ferny

I think in a guild video from the press beta they had uhh 147 in the guild? So at least 200 would be my guess, probably higher.

Someone I talked to that spoke to a ANet dev at Gamescom I think it was, said it would be atleast what the current MMOs offer in terms of limits so my lowest guess is atleast 500.

Retro

Idunno, allowing non-gaf members into the guild makes it...less gaffy.

If this is a concern, it's easily remedied by just having non-GAF players in their own guild. I'm not opposed to having everyone under one banner, but I can see why some wouldn't.

The important thing is that people are all on the same server, they can be in any guild they want.

Ferny

Idunno, allowing non-gaf members into the guild makes it...less gaffy.

It's not a big deal honestly. All it does is strengthens the guild overall. Some of the guys may be even more helpful and less of a jerk than a GAFer so no reason to deny him entry just because he doesn't have a membership here. If you only allow a certain set of people, once those people start to move on to something else, then it kills the vibe of the whole group. I'm not saying just any random off the MMO street is allowed in, just saying that if a GAF member vouches for the person, I don't see a reason to deny them in.

ShdwDrake

Banned
It's not a big deal honestly. All it does is strengthens the guild overall. Some of the guys may be even more helpful and less of a jerk than a GAFer so no reason to deny him entry just because he doesn't have a membership here. If you only allow a certain set of people, once those people start to move on to something else, then it kills the vibe of the whole group. I'm not saying just any random off the MMO street is allowed in, just saying that if a GAF member vouches for the person, I don't see a reason to deny them in.

I like this. If a gaffer refers them to the guild then they should be let in.

I feel like that might sow seeds of discord; they'd feel like they're not really a 'part' of the guild or somehow a lesser part of it.

Well it is a GAF guild lol. I'm surprised we will even allow non gaffers to join. I think you should be connected to GAF in some way to be part of the guild.

Ferny

how do rankings work in guild. maybe we could make all gaffers higher rank than non gaffer?

I was actually thinking about restricting something like say overall guild bank access to non-gaffers for a set amount of time like instead of taking out 2 items it would be 1. Nothing major but something to allow them to prove themselves a bit. Not set in stone though.

Well it is a GAF guild lol. I'm surprised we will even allow non gaffers to join. I think you should be connected to GAF in some way to be part of the guild.

The connection is the GAF member who is referring them to the guild. Why have a good player have to wait the 6-8 months of registering here to join a guild?

Helmholtz

Ya...
Since you can be in multiple guilds, I would have hoped that the GAF guild itself would be more exclusive to GAF. But I guess I'm in the minority so what can you do.

Jira

In a game that is all about co-operation and community, kicking someone out because they're not part of another community is detrimental. If anyone becomes a problem, you kick them out. It's that simple.

Ferny

In a game that is all about co-operation and community, kicking someone out because they're not part of another community is detrimental. If anyone becomes a problem, you kick them out. It's that simple.

Exactly

If they become a problem, they are out. If the person who invited them in has a problem then they join another guild. That's a harsh way of saying it but it's true. If a person is bringing down other people and killing the mood so to speak, then no reason to keep them around.

this is a dreadful idea.

"yes, your plebeian of a friend may join, though s/he shall not bear our banner -- but our rags."

Well I don't see it as being something permanent. A GAF member may become a "member" right out the gate where a non GAF member may have those same "perks" after a week of playing nice.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
i highly doubt someone kick someone out of the guild because hes not a gaffer. that would be way to unnecessary

Retro

I like to think that if I were bring a douche-nozzle, GAFfer or not, that you guys would have the good sense to give me the boot. I am fervent about only a single part of guild management: a zero tolerance policy on Drama. Everything else, I can deal with, but I cannot abide people being bitches.

Jira

I like to think that if I were bring a douche-nozzle, GAFfer or not, that you guys would have the good sense to give me the boot. I am fervent about only a single part of guild management: a zero tolerance policy on Drama. Everything else, I can deal with, but I cannot avoid people being bitches.

In a game where everyone gets their own loot, I can't imagine drama ever really happening. Let's be honest here, loot drama is 95% of all MMO guild drama. I mean I guess there could be drama over group related stuff, but hell just get another 4 people together and go run something. Everyone can be included in open world stuff so there's no singling people out there. ANet really has got rid of all of the bullshit and I love them for it. I'd say that the only drama that could arise is personal conflicts between people/personalities in the guild, that's it. As I said above, just talk to people about it and if it doesn't work just kick them or ask them to leave.

Arken2121

I like to think that if I were bring a douche-nozzle, GAFfer or not, that you guys would have the good sense to give me the boot. I am fervent about only a single part of guild management: a zero tolerance policy on Drama. Everything else, I can deal with, but I cannot avoid people being bitches.

It happens, what can you do. People have bad days so i'd be cautious especially with members who are usually awesome.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I can at least assure you that the people I intend to bring along are very kind, don't seek attention, and understand the importance of teamwork. All of them but one were very dedicated GW1 players, and that one that wasn't is a gaffer anyway.

Ferny

I can at least assure you that the people I intend to bring along are very kind, don't seek attention, and understand the importance of teamwork. All of them but one were very dedicated GW1 players.

They all sound lovely. Now have them all /dance on a mailbox and they're in.

Lmao at Retro's very descriptive edit note.

KaoticBlaze

Exactly

If they become a problem, they are out. If the person who invited them in has a problem then they join another guild. That's a harsh way of saying it but it's true. If a person is bringing down other people and killing the mood so to speak, then no reason to keep them around.

Well I don't see it as being something permanent. A GAF member may become a "member" right out the gate where a non GAF member may have those same "perks" after a week of playing nice.

just to throw my 2 cents in...i completely agree...i dont see a problem with allowing non gaffers into the guild as long as they arent a problem and start problems within our guild. if they do then we kick them out. as far as guild banks go, what i think should happen is of course GM and officers have most of the power with the bank while regular members who are part of neogaf should have limited access to the guild bank and non gaffers who are in our guild should honestly have no access to our guild bank. if they need to take something out that belongs to the guild they should ask the officers...if they want guild bank access they can create a neogaf account. this should also be told to them as soon as they ask to join our guild that way if they have a problem with this rule then thank you come again.

Helmholtz

In a game where everyone gets their own loot, I can't imagine drama ever really happening. Let's be honest here, loot drama is 95% of all MMO guild drama. I mean I guess there could be drama over group related stuff, but hell just get another 4 people together and go run something. Everyone can be included in open world stuff so there's no singling people out there. ANet really has got rid of all of the bullshit and I love them for it. I'd say that the only drama that could arise is personal conflicts between people/personalities in the guild, that's it. As I said above, just talk to people about it and if it doesn't work just kick them or ask them to leave.
It can still happen, believe me :p
Most of the GW1 guilds I was in wound up having some kind of drama, assigned loot and all. It's pretty much unavoidable though, whether the guild is pure GAF members or not. What you need is a neutral leader who doesn't get involved in that shit and penalizes people accordingly. Most drama comes from officers/leaders that suck.
Edit: Boy did this thread get off topic pretty fast. Not so much about the press beta anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom