• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons you loved as a child that were actually s***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mighty Ducks
Tailspin
Double Dragon
Gforce
Batman and Superman crossover series
Static Shock
Ghostbusters extreme
Slimer and the ghostbusters
Bionic 6
Mask

Kangi

They were shows for kids. I doubt their creators considered how they'd hold up to twenty-something message board users' scrutiny.

The best cartoons, when rewatched at an older age, are just as good if not better than they were when you watched them as a youngster.

Came to post this. Lots of my friends still remember this fondly, but it was so fucking terrible and I should have known better even at 10 years old

I *knew* Rocket Power (and many of the early 2000s Nicktoons) were terrible subconsciously, and yet I still watched most of them....Such is life growing up on television.

Also add in the good cartoons I thought were shit:
Doug

Also forgot to add James Bond Jr :p

Edit: How can you not like Doug? I'll counter that and say Rugrats(after s1/movie) is shit too!

Fake Edit: Unless you're talking about abc doug lol

gabbo

Just about everything I watched that was 80s/late 80's run off trying to getting in on the 'We can sell to kids directly through tv shows' rush of cartoons of the time (gijoe, transformers, pound puppies, popples, and so on). I didn't realize it's what they were at the time, but it's much easier looking back. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles falls somewhere in between being half hour toy commercials and not bad children's programming (especially when paired with Adam West's Batman back to back on WGN Erie).

Of course, I also watched The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show every weekend as a child and there are quite a few of the 'Steven Spielberg Presents:' Warner cartoons that still hold up as well, so it's hit and miss. It's like for a brief period in the early 90's, cartoons tipped back in favour of entertaining instead of selling cereal and merchandise to the extreme degree they had before.

Beezy

I used to love the shit out of this show when I was a kid:

ibuI3JNCI2lxTb.png

Watching the intro again though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLKYOSiW7U4

It's probably the shittiest intro ever.
I loved this intro as a kid too. I can't remember at all how the show was though.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I posted above, but man, this is REALLY close to my experience. Except I'm more than willing to accept they're no good now, stuff like Transformers was what I was really fond of, along with some of the darker cartoons (or seemingly darker to me as a toddler) like Lord of the Rings and Starchaser: Legend of Orin. I know the first won't hold up well though, and the latter might not although I'm willing to watch it again anyway.

Heh, I understand. I had fond memories of Astroboy as well and in my memories it got pretty dark. It wasn't until lately I saw it on Netflix and tried to find the episodes that I remembered so well. Turns out they only had the Japanese versions. Apparently I remembered the NA version.

So I went searching for the particular story line that I remembered so well. It was about this extremely powerful robot that would go and hunt down all these other powerful robots.

There was a detective, one that got her powers from the sunlight etc., but Astroboy was the most powerful. The evil robot had these long horns on his head.

It is in my memory where a show for the first time had a continuing story line between episodes, and it was the first time I remember where the person/robot I was rooting for was killed.

I found it as an adult, and I regret having found it. It felt so epic as a kid.

Just remember some more cartoons:
Sam and Max
Cap.N
Zelda
Mario Bros Super Show
Mario Bros 3 cartoon
Mario World
Godzilla
The Mummy(some cartoon about a kid and warrior mummies)
Adams Family
Beetlejuice
Bill and Ted
Petshop
The Mask
Cant remember the name, was based on some comicbook(non marvel/dc)

The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show

You know, this is one series that I loved as a child but kinda dislike now. And it is not because I hate the vintage Warner Cartoons, on the contrary, I love them. But after owning the DVD sets, I realize that so many of the shorts were heavily edited for The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show that I cannot re-watch that show anymore.

M.A.SK. is awful.

Man, I forgot about MASK. I used to own all the toys when I was a kid. And yes, it is awful. Add one part Transformers, one Part GI Joe, and some weird masks that look like they came from the original Star Wars trilogy..... and you have MASK.

Man, I used to think the Spider-Man cartoon was the greatest thing ever. I remember rewatching it awhile back and it was painfully obvious how many cut-and-paste scenes that they did (I noticed it as a kid, but it was even more apparent going back to it).

You know, Speaking of Spider-Man cartoons, I despised the 60's series when I was a kid. But re-watching it in recent years made me realize that Season 1 and 2 were almost completely different shows.

Season 1 was beyond camp that it was hilariously bad. Season 2 was developed by Ralph Bakshi and was completely rebooted to try and be more serious. The first few episodes of season 2 weren't actually that bad. But then I guess they ran of of budget and started recycling plots, stories, and just about everything. So the later episodes were psychedelic and weird as fuck.

DonMigs85

Sky Commanders, Transformers, Centurions and 80's TMNT are all somewhat bad now.
I think Voltron kinda still holds up though, as well as Ghostbusters.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think Voltron kinda still holds up though, as well as Ghostbusters.

Trouble with Voltron is that even if the episode is decent, it's still going to end with the standard "corny joke is made involving the goddamn mice and/or Pidge and everyone laughs" routine or else some one-shot character will sum up the outcome of the story and Keith will remind everyone that "it's all thanks to VOLTRON, defender of the UNIVERSE!" Just leaves such a bad aftertaste. The music is still awesome, though. If the live action movie actually happens, they better keep that sweet guitar.

Astroboy.

Didn't hold up well at all. I'd built it up in my mind as the best cartoon ever - and watching some episodes again recently just totally killed the show for me.

Most stinky one of all:
250px-LOZAnimatedTitleScreen.jpg

Thanks for making Link a gigantic tool DiC(s).

TMNT episodes are mostly grating, but they are also sometimes peppered with genuinely funny forth-wall humor. At about season 7 they really started churning out some memorable episodes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
All of them
Kids are dumb

Not true. I was watching the original GI Joe on Netflix yesterday. It's still fucking awesome (except for Major Blood, who is a total throwaway character, an idiot, and should have been replaced by someone cooler after that pilot.)

Cobra Commander is also a bit more of an impetuous child than I remember, but there's something endearing about his terrorist temper tantrums.

That said, GI Joe Resolute is sooo much better.

Cipherr

Its not a cartoon, but when I was reaaaaaaaally young I loved Zoombalee Zoo (spelling?) and Fraggle Rock. No clue how those have held up though, havent seen any of them recently.

Loved 3-2-1 Contact, but Im sure that must have held up well, I mean cmon, that show was awesome.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wait, isn't G Force Gatchaman? That show is amazing. You fucking take that shit back.

Try harder with your trolling.

You were a kid when Samurai Jack was on TV? I was in college...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Came to post this. Lots of my friends still remember this fondly, but it was so fucking terrible and I should have known better even at 10 years old

As the ancient hawaiians used to say...

gabbo

You know, this is one series that I loved as a child but kinda dislike now. And it is not because I hate the vintage Warner Cartoons, on the contrary, I love them. But after owning the DVD sets, I realize that so many of the shorts were heavily edited for The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show that I cannot re-watch that show anymore.

I know what you mean, but for me that only started happening towards the end of what I consider its original run (I couldn't even begin to time line that), as I can remember episodes airing the full skits some weeks and cut down versions another week.
I don't even know if the show is on any more, I usually just youtube the shorts I want to watch as I haven't bought the dvds (I don't think they'll have my favourite shorts on them).

Kusagari

Glad to see no one came in here to shit up the thread by mentioning Ducktales or Darkwing Duck yet.

And man A Pup Named Scooby Doo was beyond awesome. I remember watching it again 2-3 years ago and being amazed at how clever it actually was. Red Herring is such a brilliant character.

Man, just rewatching Spider-Man is depressing.
  • Less frames of animation than a GIF
  • Horribad 3D
  • No emotion or substance to any of the stories
  • Lip synching? What's that?
  • Worst VA ever
  • Lame crossovers and "epic" events with no logic or consequence
  • Lemme just bang on the brass keys on this synthesizer BOOM soundtrack

Jarmel

Banned
Glad to see no one came in here to shit up the thread by mentioning Ducktales or Darkwing Duck yet.

And man A Pup Named Scooby Doo was beyond awesome. I remember watching it again 2-3 years ago and being amazed at how clever it actually was. Red Herring is such a brilliant character.

Anyone that says Darkwing Duck needs to be punched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom