• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Cody_D165

Banned
What are Neo Geo fans like?

They're fucking assholes.

f395c2fda459.gif

Yes Boss!

Comprehensive!

I'd steer folks away from the Neo Geo X and steer them towards the Wii VC (NA/JPN).

Consolized MVS is freaking expensive...might as well just go with a supergun at that point.

Worth mentioning for those with DEEP pockets is Analoque Interactive CMVS system. Though with the system and a controller you are already looking at $800. That shit is quality...I do have one of the Walnut Seimitsu sticks and it is fly-as-shit.

And fucking everybody need to buy Nam-1975 on Virtual Console. $9 gets you the best Neo Geo game ever made!

dkeane

The CDz was ugly? Fuuuuuuck you! :) I love my CDZ. Also the load times are better. It makes Last Blade playable. But yes loading still sucks.

And new games are still being released! I just got my limited edition US AES copy of Gun Lord this last week. It's an awesome platformer that reminds me of Super Turrican.

mF0reEN.jpg

Love the thread.

Overboost

I was the proud owner of a 4-slot Japanese sit-down MVS cab nearly a decade ago. Had Metal Slug 3, Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, Samurai Shodown V, KOF 2001, Puzzle Bobble, and SNK vs. Capcom Chaos. I loved that thing like it was my child, until I sold it to a friend's arcade for mad profit.

Metal Slug 3 is still one of the greatest games ever made. I paid $200 for it on day one of its MVS release and it was worth every penny.

Vitacat

Nice thread about a great system.

But in the "What's the best way to play Neo Geo games today?" section you never mentioned PC options. Emulators are the best (and cheapest) way to go. MAME and FinalBurn Alpha emulation of NeoGeo is really good and accurate now. Plug in a console controller and you're golden. Use a notebook with HDMI output, make it look CRT-ish with some filter options, and you're set.

baphomet

Nice thread about a great system.

But in the "What's the best way to play Neo Geo games today?" section you never mentioned PC options. Emulators are the best (and cheapest) way to go. MAME and FinalBurn Alpha emulation of NeoGeo is really good and accurate now. Plug in a console controller and you're golden. Use a notebook with HDMI output, make it look CRT-ish with some filter options, and you're set.

Of course getting games for free is the cheapest option. Especially when there are tons options on every current gen console right now for literally a few dollars a piece per game.

Just ordered a 1 slot that I'm going to consolize so the girlfriend will have her metal slug fix at home.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
And new games are still being released! I just got my limited edition US AES copy of Gun Lord this last week. It's an awesome platformer that reminds me of Super Turrican.

mF0reEN.jpg

Love the thread.

WTF? That's like a gazillion dollars on ebay! Or was it another version?

Anyways, never owned a NeoGeo but the output of SNK on those days was the best. Shoutouts to Blazing Star cause no one ever fucking mentions it among the best shmups out there.

cj_iwakura

Always been happy with my Dreamcast versions of Garou and Last Blade 2(easily my favorite SNK game). They're not perfect, but damn good, and neither cost me more than $50.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Always been happy with my Dreamcast versions of Garou and Last Blade 2(easily my favorite SNK game). They're not perfect, but damn good, and neither cost me more than $50.

I'm a little hard on the ports, I'll admit, but I guess that's mostly because I look at it in terms of: "an emulator by some nobody does a better job than the thing I'm paying for," and its hard to be enthusiastic about that. Plus, I know Last Blade 2 didn't even support the VGA box on the Dreamcast. That was disappointing.

Mlatador

Banned
It's 2013 and I still can't afford an Neo Geo (or Games) :/

Anyway, the first person who comes up with a full-fledged Flash Cart for the Neo Geo is gonna become a millionaire.

Danny Dudekisser

It's 2013 and I still can't afford an Neo Geo (or Games) :/

Anyway, the first person who comes up with a full-fledged Flash Cart for the Neo Geo is gonna become a millionaire.

You mean this, more or less?

neogeo161in1.jpg

Pretty sure whoever made it still lives in a straw hut.

Yes Boss!

It was definitely expensive (the most I've ever spent on a game), but I bought it directly from the devs not on ebay. Had it preordered for 2 years. It's amazing!

Must be absolutely glorious. My only small gripe with the exquisite DC port is the audio transitions and breaks.

I've still got my eye on the MVS reprint and seriously considering grabbing it. But, sheesh, even that is $500.

cj_iwakura

I'm a little hard on the ports, I'll admit, but I guess that's mostly because I look at it in terms of: "an emulator by some nobody does a better job than the thing I'm paying for," and its hard to be enthusiastic about that. Plus, I know Last Blade 2 didn't even support the VGA box on the Dreamcast. That was disappointing.

It's not just you, I know an MVS enthusiast who thinks they're the devil printed onto a disc, so I enjoy them just to spite him. :p

It was my first exposure to LB2, so it's near and dear to me.

IrishNinja

You made this while you were drunk?

my first thought, haha

this is a top-tier OP for me, so much i didn't know about, by one of Retro-GAF's finest no less. this is like the last big part of my classic game room project, im actually saving this (and less expensive things like rebuying Suiokden 2) for when i finally get my career started up, hopefully later this year, as a reward.

other retro threads on here pointed to mixed stuff on the CD - cheaper games, but apparently really bad loading time on some of em? there's one dude on my local craigslist selling an AES (no wires or anything) for like $425, can't imagine what games go for.

sub'd so hard

Must be absolutely glorious. My only small gripe with the exquisite DC port is the audio transitions and breaks.

I've still got my eye on the MVS reprint and seriously considering grabbing it. But, sheesh, even that is $500.

They are shipping the newly made AES snap case at a later time, so it's still not complete. But it was totally cool to have it come with a bonus soundtrack, posters, and some other pack-ins with the manual. What an awesome game. Hits the perfect nostalgia vibe.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Consolized MVS is freaking expensive...might as well just go with a supergun at that point.
I'm half tempted to do my own CMVS. I'm not that handy with electronics, but I also don't have $500 or whatever to pay someone else to do it for me.

Ninja Dom

Without doubt, one of the greatest game consoles of all time and one of the best looking.

aqjf5QD.png

The thing was a beast!! As a teenager when it was released it had almost mythical status. The price meant my parents would never buy me one and the status was improved by it being "an arcade machine in your own home".

How did SNK go from almost ruling the arcade world in 1998 to going bust three years later in 2001?

Maybe they weren't as successful as they looked during the 90's. But the arcades were packed full of glorious SNK 2D fighting games.

baphomet

Not exactly Neo Geo related, but the Poly Game Master board is like an more powerful MVS. Both are pretty much the epitome of quality sprite based games to me.

Dave Long

Banned
NeoAES.jpg

I would really like to get Viewpoint. What you see above is mostly the affordable stuff. $50 or less for many of these. The only others you can find for that price are Fatal Fury, Sengoku, Blue's Journey, The Super Spy, Baseball Stars Professional and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting.

Everything else is like $80 and up... which is still "affordable" depending on your income level.

Neo Turf Masters is not affordable. Mine is a conversion.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
LOL at the "Neo-Geo fans" are assholes comment. I think that should be amended to "Neo-Geo COLLECTORS are assholes" and then it would be spot on. I was in the midst of all of it during the old DHP Email list days and bit on Neo-Geo.com years back.

I no longer have any Neo-Geo systems, but have owned the following:

-Neo-Geo CD
-Neo-Geo CDZ
-Neo-Geo AES
-Neo-Geo AES w/mod chip
-Neo-Geo AES w/mod chip and S-Video mod

I spent the better part of the late 90s playing Neo-Geo games like crazy. Started out with the CD systems and wound up owning the entire collection of games available in 1997. I was playing the Neo CD/CDZ far more than the PS1 and Saturn at that point.

Switched up to a cart system in 1998 after the CD systems went bust and would usually buy the latest fighters and sell them off, for a profit(!) when the sequels would come out. Absolutely loved this system and its library, and kept buying games for it until late 2003. Didn't see much of a point in owning the system anymore after the mostly-excellent Neo-Geo collections started coming out for the PS2. (Arcade perfect ports with extra modes like training, color edit, and Neo CD soundtracks!) Once KOF '98 UM was released, I sold the system and the remaining games I had off.

Loved how SNK supported this system for so long.

DoubleTap

Great thread!

I was so dissapointed with the NeoGeoX even after the update. The composite out got worse and the gamesaves only work if you have the megapack card (or one of the new volume releases) in the slot. I just use it as a handheld for the quick Baseball Stars 2 or SuperSidekicks game. At least it has Garou on it.

If anything It made me buy a japanese AES. I have a small library of my early favorites and filled out the rest (expensive to acquire) with Wii VC releases.

SkylineRKR

Time to brag!

Part of my stuff:

4291438428_1424636587_z.jpg

4290699777_e20461dd0b_z.jpg

4291440216_6267045632_z.jpg

4290700203_2dcee2b3a1_z.jpg

My Neo is within the 50k range and supports awesome RGB. Its also language switched and I found out later that it has one of those Bios thingies so I can set it to MVS etc. My favourite cart, it may sound weird but its Fatal Fury 3.

I was briefly active on NG.com but I didn't really like the community. I bought the Geo because coin-op Shodown, AoF, Soccer Brawl etc was part of my childhood. Always looked at it in awe knowing that my Sega 16-bit was leagues behind.

Dave Long

Banned
of course my man Dave Long has a badass collection here, haha

wait, they make conversions?
Neo Turf Masters was produced in such low quantities for AES that it's outrageously rare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNK-Neo-Tur...9361?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item232c9a3681

That one above is available from the chain of retro games stores I visit locally. They're in Lancaster and you can trust them if anyone would actually want to own the real thing...

Apparently SNK produced a lot more MVS carts, and for some of the rarer AES games people have taken to converting some other AES cart to take on the MVS chips from a board like Neo Turf Masters. A friend of mine bought it initially and let it go to me for a song when he went all MVS. Considering how rare the original AES games are, and that you can't play it on an AES unless you have one of those, I would imagine this conversion is worth a little bit too? Either way, it's awesome to be able to play it as it's one of the best arcade golf games ever.

ILoveBish

As a young child, we were insanely poor, poverty level. But i loved neo geo so much, i hustled buying and reselling used games in the local paper and scraping up enough money to buy a Neo Geo AES. I had to sell it and rebuy it again later several times due to money problems, but i'll never forget those days playing Samurai Shodown, Baseball Stars 2, Fatal Fury 2 and so many others in my own home, with 2 controllers, against friends and family alike. Its why neo geo will always be such a big deal to me, the games were just absolutely incredible, and i still play them when i get a chance. They've aged INCREDIBLY well.

Great OP.

Metal-Geo

I fucking own a goddamn 2-Slot Neo-Geo MVS;
I fucking own a goddamn Neo-Geo AES;
I fucking own three goddamn Neo-Geo Pocket Colors;
I fucking goddamn love the Neo-Geo.
I'm a fucking goddamn asshole!

Great thread.

Metal Slug was the title that introduced me to the Neo-Geo. Finally completed my collection of Metal Slug titles on the MVS recently too! (Yeah I'm not even going to start on the AES versions!) It makes me sad to see what SNK has become today. But I guess it was predictable and inevitable too. Still, I'm looking very forward to hearing any word on Metal Slug 8.

Dave Long

Banned
So the next question for all you diehards... who took their headphones and memory card to the arcade back in the day? :)

Also, SNK isn't what they were, but KoF XIII is a tremendous game and sits very nicely among the best things the company has ever done IMO.

I was considering a purchase of all the Neo Geo games on the PS3 but this thread has steered me clear.

I wonder if any of the collections that were ported to the PSP are any good just to play around with on the Vita.

SkylineRKR

I have no memorycard :)

I was always completely about finishing those games in one sitting. And although most games were ofcourse short, I played them for months. And I would gradually advance further in the likes of Spin Master, Aero fighters 2, Sengoku etc. I loved that 4 Credit stuff.

The one game I always wanted to buy at some point was Sengoku 3, I think its one of the best scrollers ever. As for Turf Masters, its easily the best Golf game I've played.

Best deal I ever made was a Sengoku 2 EU complete, the guy traded it for my Legend of Mana PSX. He said the sound was borked (it turned out to be his Neo, or his ears). I didn't like Sengoku 2 much but I think I got about 300 euros for it back. Same story with Garou MOTW US, bought it for 250, sold for 600. It was a good game, but I am sort of a Fatal Fury 3 fanboy. Plus, I could always buy a JP back but I just stopped with collecting retro at some point. Still, the Neo is never leaving.

I have to say that NG Station is Ps3 is VERY faithful. I mostly play Shodown and Slug trough that (with TE stick) and don't even bother hooking the AES. Plus, there is Shock Troopers!

Danny Dudekisser

So the next question for all you diehards... who took their headphones and memory card to the arcade back in the day? :)

Also, SNK isn't what they were, but KoF XIII is a tremendous game and sits very nicely among the best things the company has ever done IMO.

Neo Geo in the arcades? Shit. My only experience playing a Neo Geo game in the arcades was at a Pizza Hut where they had a 4-slot with SamSho, Baseball Stars 2, Crossed Swords, and Cyber Lip. I didn't even know about memory cards or headphones.

I liked Crossed Swords and Cyber Lip, thought SamSho was okay, and didn't play Baseball Stars 2. Because I was a fucking idiot.

anyway, I have to update some stuff. I said in the RetroGAF thread I was kinda drunk while writing this, and you can kinda tell when I start going off on a rant in the ports section. And a couple bits of info still need to be added.

SkylineRKR

They should patch Cyber Lip with diagonal shot. But I liked it as well, it came out way before Slug.

How did SNK go from almost ruling the arcade world in 1998 to going bust three years later in 2001?

Maybe they weren't as successful as they looked during the 90's. But the arcades were packed full of glorious SNK 2D fighting games.

Arcades started to face a decline since then. Emulators also happened around that time. I remember that even my Pentium 2 could run them flawless. Games would be emulated at the day of release, Slug 2 for example, quite sure I played that in 1998 on PC. It was deadly for a small company like SNK. On the other hand, I would've never known about or bought Last Blade if it weren't for emus. Local arcades stopped carrying 2D and especially niche SNK IP. I was floored when I first played it and needed to have an original.

Top Bottom