• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leonardo DiCaprio - The Greatest Actor of Our Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

shutter island and inception is basically the same character, except its like way better written in shutter island and leon owns. dem flashbacks.
Imho did Shutter Island even a better job at capturing what an actual dream feels like:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0eG0O9qNB4

nothing makes chronologically sense, scenarios fluently change, people appear and disappear. I know that Inception just tries a different take on dreams but I like the one in Shutter Island just a lot more.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Good actor, but I really can't praise his Gangs of New York performance. Yeah it was a lot better than Titanic, but truth of the matter is Danial Day Lewis made everyone look like amateurs in that film. Liam Neeson and Brendan Gleeson were the only ones able to keep up with him.

Azar

DiCaprio's character arc through The Departed is fucking outstanding. You can see him lose more and more of himself the longer he stays in the mob. Damon's amazing in that movie, too, but DiCaprio grounds it.

why ignore the list of movies i posted about? you guys need to see more of his non-burton performances.

Sure he's become a bit stale lately after the Jack Sparrow role and is making some money with that (and he's still giving awesome performances, just maybe in the same vein), but if we're taking entire careers as proof instead of just late offerings then the guy has had a fantastic one.

I've seen most of those and in all of the he gives off the impression that he is a pretty boy who loves to look at himself when nobody else is around. Sorta like a hot chick getting really into a cosplay but instead its a poetic phony who calls himself an actor.

Salsa

I've seen most of those and in all of the he gives off the impression that he is a pretty boy who loves to look at himself when nobody else is around. Sorta like a hot chick getting really into a cosplay but instead its a poetic phony who calls himself an actor.

rofl, ok then.

Chinner

Banned
Imho did Shutter Island even a better job at capturing what an actual dream feels like:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0eG0O9qNB4

nothing makes chronologically sense, scenarios fluently change, people appear and disappear. I know that Inception just tries a different take on dreams but I like the one in Shutter Island just a lot more.

yeah true true. i forgot how good those dream sequences were. really liked the german camp one was well.

bangladesh, delusional as always haha.

Anyways when does "generation" begin?

I'm assuming we can't count Brad Pitt, DDL, Sean Penn, James Gandolfini or Tom Cruise etc. in this discussion?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the long forgotten and very underrated Jude Law.

NJl1A.jpg

jtb

Banned
Just quietly - and I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, Philip Seymour Hoffman is mightily overrated. He has exactly two good roles in his career. The first being in Boogie Nights and the second being Talented Mr. Ripley. Outside of those roles he is as repetitive and ham-fisted in his roles as the equally overrated Paul Giamatti.

Yes to both. Their respective characters in the Ides of March bordered on self parody.

KingK

Leo's good, but Tom Hanks:
tom-hanks-forrest-gump-c10101930.jpeg

66012-004-05d4cca6.jpg

Cast%20Away%20Tom%20Hanks%20pic1.jpg

Right there are 3 dramatically different roles that he absolutely nails to perfection.

fuck forrest gump and fuck robert zemeckis. now there's an overrated director.

Zemeckis gets exactly the acclaim he deserves. I wouldn't call him overrated. Nobody is putting him up there with the greats. But he's good enough to warrant enthusiasm for his next live action film. Cast Away is great. BTTF trilogy..how can you hate the man?

And Tom Hanks is not of this generation, dammit!

I don't consider Back to the Future a trilogy. The second film is mediocre and the third I haven't finished yet, I just can't.

The first is a genuine classic though.

jtb

Banned
Zemeckis gets exactly the acclaim he deserves. I wouldn't call him overrated. Nobody is putting him up there with the greats. But he's good enough to warrant enthusiasm for his next live action film. Cast Away is great. BTTF trilogy..how can you hate the man?

overrated in the internet sense, a la mr. nolan. Cast Away is decent, BTTF (the first one) is good, but his other films do absolutely nothing for me. And let's not even begin to talk about his lost decade of mocap films...

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Why not put the basketball diaries, the island & titanic on the list for the sake of completionsim. Or that movie where robert deniro plays his abusive father.
Weird no mention of revolutionary road?

Overall, I always see Leo when I look at him. Better actors for sure IMO.

Anyway, Michelle Williams is the best actor of my generation. Unless we're being tools and dividing actors and actresses like some cheesy awards show.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Why not put the basketball diaries, the island & titanic on the list for the sake of completionsim. Or that movie where robert deniro plays his abusive father.
Weird no mention of revolutionary road?

Overall, I always see Leo when I look at him. Better actors for sure IMO.

Anyway, Michelle Williams is the best actor of my generation. Unless we're being tools and dividing actors and actresses like some cheesy awards show.

"That movie" is This Boy's Life, one of the most criminally overlooked films of both De Niro's and Di Caprio's careers.

Loxley

Catch Me If You Can was the last movie he did that I genuinely enjoyed. Almost everything he's done since then has been pure Oscar-bait. He needs to pull a Tom Cruise and do a comedy to get me back on his side. I'm just bored of him in dramas, every time I'm about to see a trailer for a movie he's in, I always ask myself before I watch it "What accent is he going to be putting on this time?".

I'll admit he was great in Blood Diamond, but...that's about it for me as far as his recent stuff.

*edit - Oh, this is a thread about best actors working now? In that case:

I like DiCaprio, but he's not a great actor. He's good, but he's also one of those actors that basically plays himself or the same character in every movie. I feel like lately he's just been playing super serious roles in an attempt to get an Oscar, which will inevitably happen. I just don't think his acting career has been particularly interesting as a result of that.

Truly great actors are actors like Daniel Day Lewis and Marlon Brando. They're so convincing that I usually forget that they're acting. DiCaprio is a joke in comparison.

And maybe it's just me, but Leo hasn't aged well at all. I can't quite put my finger on it, but he looks fucking weird now. Like his eyes, mouth, and nose are too small for his face and haven't aged since he was in his twenties. He used to be particularly handsome, where as now I'd actually say he's gotten kind-of ugly.

C4Lukins

I think Leo can be a great actor. Most of the examples in the OP are good ones. But I think he is the weakest part of both The Departed and Gangs of New York. He actually brings those movies down a notch. Blood Diamond is just a bad movie so his bad performance does not mean all that much. He is terrible in Man in the Iron Mask also. This Boy's Life, Basketball Diaries, and Titanic are all better examples where he lifts the material.

C4Lukins

Really? I thought he was far and away the worst actor in Titanic. Some of his deliveries are just cringe worthy.

I think a lot of lines in general by all the actors involved are cringe worthy, but overall it was a great performance. Not sure if "lifts the material" was the right term to use though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I know. Billy Zane and Fabrizio ground a film that would otherwise be 'DiCaprio does the circus.'

Line that stands out for me most in Titanic as just horribly delivered, is shortly after the iceberg hits, and Leo and Kate are talking up the steps and pass the captain and others talking about the damage, and he looks and says "This is bad".

Fabrizio wasn't in it enough to bother me much, Billy Zane, I thought did fine with what he was given. He was given a cartoon villain with no real motivation, that's not easy.

also better actors IMO (sticking to hollywood stars) this generation (not sure where the limits are there), just to create discussion:

Solid list. Only questionable one for me is Pitt and I truly enjoy the guy but people can only point to 12 Monkeys and Seven so many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom