• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Bookstores have been hit pretty hard, starting with Borders going under in about 2009 or so. Even Barnes and Nobles is struggling now.

Kard8p3

The town I drive to for work (only like 25 minutes away has a CVS and 2 Walgreens.

Hopefully that CVS doesn't close or I'll need new job 🙄

h0tp0ck3t

CVS stopped selling tobacco/cigarettes in all their stores then offset their profit loss by gutting their staff and making salaried store managers work 90+ hour work weeks without additional pay.

fuck CVS

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
It's interesting to see that traditional malls are dying yet locally these high end outdoor mall-like places are doing well. Seems like no one wants to go to cheaper goods places unless it's a Target or Walmart but they will go to something that's more expensive if the location is nice and has good eats.

Where are you guys buying shoes from nowadays.

Last couple years all my sneakers were brought from 6pm, Amazozn and some smaller online outlets.

I have only brought one pairs of shows from B&W recently.

Hmm I gotta think this is more due to people buying less clothing than due to buying clothes on Amazon. I still don't know anyone who regularly buys clothes on the internet, even if they get everything else there. Clothes are hard to buy on the internet because you have to try them on. Probably why Amazon doesn't give a shit about their clothing section. (There are exceptions though to less specific fitting items where it's easier to buy online like shoes and jackets. Even then many won't want to because it's still a risk.)

Sai-kun

Banned

Last couple years all my sneakers were brought from 6pm, Amazozn and some smaller online outlets.

directly from the company's website, amazon, or zappos.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I couldn't imagine buying shoes online. It typically takes me an hour or so to find a pair that fit well and feel nice.

goodcow

Only really surprised to see CVS on that list.

What's changed about their market recently to result in the loss?

Fuck CVS. Overpriced garbage, and they don't even hire people, they expect you to use self checkout. Might as well order online then. Get fucked, CVS.

see5harp

I remember when Bebe t shirts were the hotness for young rich kids. No one actually rocked any of the other clothes.

Quonny

Kohl's. Their 30% coupons and Kohl's Cash even work on Nike.

Yup. They screwed themselves.

You know who's not on that list? Kohls. Dick's. The issue isn't department stores, it's mall-anchored department stores.

I don't understand Kohls. I get free $10 Kohl coupon from discover all the time. I have never been able to find something worthwhile to buy.

Hari Seldon

I dunno, Amazons pricing is getting pretty bad. Lots of times Walmart, Target, BB, or another traditional store will beat them price. Especially now that they are wising up and offering free shipping.

Alebrije

If you feel nostalgic come to Mexico and visit Mixup

musica_mixup_plazapatria.jpg

ahoyle77

I expect this title in a year or two to be all about the banking Apocalypse. I work in retail banking and I expect their to be half the number of branches in 10 years. Easily.

Quonny

Kohl's is like someone took all the worst parts of Walmart and JC Penney and smashed them together in a messy, cramped store.

Maybe your Kohl's is like that, but mine is clean, well lit, and the clerks are always nice.

It's like Macy's without the pompous attitude and prices.

HylianTom

Banned
Wait.. Wet Seal still exists in 2017!?

I wear the same brand/model shoes for the past decade, so I know my size and order online when I see a sale. This covers 90% of my shoe needs.

Apt101

I bet Amazon will start opening brick and mortar stores eventually, close to their warehouses, and competing directly with Walmart.

By 2026 the majority of the worlds' economies will go towards the construction, maintenance, and contiuning R&D of the gigantic robotic suits piloted by Jeff Bezos and Jim Walton.

There are 3 Gander Mountain's in MN that are closing down, I think? With the rise of Cabelas, nobody has any need to go to Gander Mountain. Amazon has a decent selection of outdoor gear and once people know what they are looking for, they have no need to buy in-store.

I'm surprised my old workplace, OMX, isn't on there. The merger with Office Depot must have done them good.

I'm also surprised that Sears is still somewhat alive in the Twin Cities. The same applies to a Radioshack near where I live still alive.

I dunno, Amazons pricing is getting pretty bad. Lots of times Walmart, Target, BB, or another traditional store will beat them price. Especially now that they are wising up and offering free shipping.

I noticed this too. It used to be whatever price you saw Amazon would very likely be the lowest. Now you have to price shop because that's often not the case. Heck I've seen Bed Bath and Beyond beat them multiple times.

SuperOrez

I expect this title in a year or two to be all about the banking Apocalypse. I work in retail banking and I expect their to be half the number of branches in 10 years. Easily.

I can agree to that. I'm a teller for a small credit union and I see how absolutely redundant my job is. It's gonna go to a machine eventually. ATMs and phone deposits are where its at.

goodcow

None of the CVS I've been to have self-checkout.

All the CVS' in NYC have self checkout, with one employee overseeing everything. Often there just isn't a standard register open and staffed. It's ridiculous. Plus, they have signs near all the food reminding customers to check expiration dates. So we're doing all the work at double the price of online shopping? Why do they even exist then?

Oppo

well Payless is not surprising. what a dumb business model. payless shoes? how are they supposed to make any money?

seriously though that's a rather ominous graph.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Americans love shooting themselves in the foot. this will eliminate millions of jobs. retail was the only sector that consistently hired people who were laid off by the corporations, now those people will find themselves out of a job again.

Thanks Capitalism.

Dishwalla

Banned
Man Payless Shoes, that takes me back. Mom always took us there to get cheap shoes, often buy one pair get one pair free, when we were kids. Haven't been to one in nearly 20 years, but I'll always have the memories.

Conversely I'd be interested to see how the digital boom has effected mail jobs.

I have to imagine courier/mail services are in desperate desperate need for help these days.

Bookstore. Christian bookstore specifically. So they sell bibles, Christian books, etc.

Yup. One in my town closed last year. There is a Lifeway christian book store in the mall next to it, and they are still around though, but never seem busy if I walk by there.

The only one I'm sad about is RadioShack, but I understand it. Too niche for the mainstream buyer, not niche enough for the enthusiast buyer.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
All the CVS' in NYC have self checkout, with one employee overseeing everything. Often there just isn't a standard register open and staffed. It's ridiculous. Plus, they have signs near all the food reminding customers to check expiration dates. So we're doing all the work at double the price of online shopping? Why do they even exist then?

Some people need things from a pharmacy immediately/no Amazon Now everywhere/24 hr CVSs can be like a larger convenience store.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Only really surprised to see CVS on that list.

What's changed about their market recently to result in the loss?
A decade ago both CVS and Walgreens both massively overextended themselves in an effort to fight off each other from their territory. There's just too many of them in close proximity.

What's weird is that Walgreens isn't on this list too.

Zoe

You've had clerks who will do that? I'm lucky if I ever see one open an egg carton.

frontovik

Banned
Glory days are gone, but I'd say good riddance now.

On the one hand, you generally have blatant exploitation of workers across most retail chains through trash wages & no meaningful career development. And on the other, the loss of jobs for a workforce.

Unfortunately, that's progress.

kirblar

Americans love shooting themselves in the foot. this will eliminate millions of jobs. retail was the only sector that consistently hired people who were laid off by the corporations, now those people will find themselves out of a job again.

Thanks Capitalism.
If a store isn't profitable, it isn't profitable. Plenty of other jobs are out there right now. They just not be where those displaced people are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom