• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fall Update for Xbox One starting to roll out today

Bsigg12

point is, no button needed to be pressed before and you saw this information. I get that in game i have to press the button, but from the dash too?? Why not just make those customization boxes a tad bit smaller and put your number of friends somewhere on the dash so no button has to be pressed.... No one saw this in the preview?? Such a bonehead move

Let's be honest, you spend what, 5-10 seconds at most sitting on he home screen?

I've had it for couple weeks and my kinect functionality has taken an even deeper dive.

Seriously why is my kinect just getting worse and worse?

Let's be honest, you spend what, 5-10 seconds at most sitting on he home screen?

Missing the point, any app you open whether its steam, origin, bnet or ps4 shows you this BASIC info without having to press something to see it. This is xbox live, it relies on this type of information. I wanna know as soon as i open my xbox what the situation is without having to press a button to do it. Its basic UI design 101.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Am I seeing things, or did this update really fix the system wide crushed blacks problem that has been present since launch?

Great update. From a cold boot the "My Games and Apps" library now loads immediately, and with a snappy zoom transition too.

This is exactly what I wanted. Everything else that has been updated feels faster or slicker, and the new guide and home menu finally make the distinction between the two necessary. Under the old system it always seemed redundant to have both a guide and a home menu.

The guide itself is great too - moving away from a hamburger-menu driven system to having a tab bar with options along the top is much better and faster.

Still, there are core parts of the experience that haven't been touched. The most notable one is the Store app. That's still slow as molasses to scroll through and has the old animations and transitions. It's obvious.

Cartho

If we have a 1080p TV and are getting an X, do we need to download the 4k assets for games to downsample? If so I'll get on it for Shadow of Mordor.

So if I'm getting X, all I need to do is move my games to an external drive, correct? There's no need for a full backup on Xbox with this firmware?

Bsigg12

If we have a 1080p TV and are getting an X, do we need to download the 4k assets for games to downsample? If so I'll get on it for Shadow of Mordor.

Yes.

You'll want to turn on the 4K assets download function since you're getting an X so all your games don't try to update when you migrate to the new console. It's just a nice QoL feature for anyone looking to upgrade to an X that already owns an Xbox One.

NH Apache

Banned
I've had it for couple weeks and my kinect functionality has taken an even deeper dive.

I was in preview and backed out of insider because of this. Kinect would shut off and needed to be unplugged/plugged back in.

And for y'all hating on Kinect, come the fuck on. It's super useful for voice control and creates the best Skype experience I've ever had on any platform.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Finally gotten used to the new guide.
THank god they fixed "crack mode"
insta9ysyo.gif

I only just noticed today the subtle movements of the background on the Xbox Live Gold and Welcome page.

I wish that subtle moment could be turned on for your wallpaper....i know its a minut thing, but it give the whole OS some depth on those sections....ive got a pretty flat background as is, but having subtle movements as i select different items would be amazing.

Maybe its a precursor to the animated backgrounds they were talking about when the first Alpha showed up.
Sorta like how on Android your background moves depending on the page you are on.

Its really subtle on Xbox I want it everywhere now!

I feel like with every update it's hit or miss. One update and it will work perfectly fine, the next it doesn't work at all. This update seems to be a miss.

cakely

After about five whole minutes with the new update I like it quite a bit. Seems like a pretty big improvement.

I was in preview and backed out of insider because of this. Kinect would shut off and needed to be unplugged/plugged back in.

And for y'all hating on Kinect, come the fuck on. It's super useful for voice control and creates the best Skype experience I've ever had on any platform.

Don't worry about us hating on Kinect, worry about Microsoft hating on Kinect.

I'm enjoying it so far. I'll forget about it in a week, but putting 'My games and apps' front and center is looooong over due.

Jumeira

Banned
Speed has been greatly improved, you will all 'feel' it when you got to games & apps, as well as the friends/messages popout menu.

There's alot to wrap my head around, its not immediately noticeable. Loving the old 360 theme, feels fresh!

You people act like this comes with a 10 second improvement, when it's probably not even a second. An UI/UX is also not just about the speed...

You make it seem like there's not a monumental difference between several seconds to load a simple menu item vs instant.

A UI/UX is not only about speed, but a significant portion of it is.

Akai__

Missing the point, any app you open whether its steam, origin, bnet or ps4 shows you this BASIC info without having to press something to see it. This is xbox live, it relies on this type of information. I wanna know as soon as i open my xbox what the situation is without having to press a button to do it. Its basic UI design 101.

Would be much smarter, instead of showing us our real name or our E-Mail cycling through. Not sure why that stuff is even displayed, to be honest. It's not like anyone will suddenly forget that information.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Cool. OS seems faster now. Here is what I added to home:

Pins
Friend
Elite Dangerous
Xbox Game Pass
Xbox Live Gold

Would be nice if applications also surfaced info like the games do so you could add them to home.

(would prefer live tiles to this add to home stuff anyway).

Also, don't like that I can't move to the left to bring up the sidebar now.

The Games and Apps page loads a lot faster now. Looks cleaner too. Wish I could have larger tiles for the game icons on my home pins area.

Jumeira

Banned
ok nice, custom gamer pics (is this old?), it allows you pull photos from your OneDrive. Very convenient, dont want to hunt around for a USB stick.

MrBenchmark

Can anyone confirm if this is still an issue?
Yup 4k bluray blacks look brown they totally ignored my reports
Tested alien covenant space looks brown and in my Samsung stand alone 4k player blacks are perfect just like the Xbox was before the fall update

Leyasu

Banned
Ive noticed now that when you do a speed test, I get a ping in the 40ms where before it would be 170+ms.

Meaning my Xbox connects directly to an EU azure center, as opposed to the default NA one that it was using since the beginning. Obviously one of the things that they did in order to speed up the online parts of the dash.

MrBenchmark

excuse the phone pic but it gets the issue across. Before the fall update blurays looked the same as my stand alone now its messed up just like it was and way i left the alpha program and other issues.

fall update
UGOKE26.jpg

Stand alone samsung 4K and how Xbox looked before update
Sru22w4.jpg

Electret

Any improvements for headphone users? It's a small quibble, but the distortion when navigating menus/launching apps always bugs me. And, they should make headphone volume a continuous slider rather than a small set of discrete options.

ozprime

Is anybody else having trouble transferring games from one hard drive to another in bulk? Specifically, when I pause the transfer, it will only stay paused for about 5-7 seconds before starting to transfer the next game in the queue?

On a related note, where in the system can I report this issue? That option was taken out of the shutdown menu?

That aside, I'm loving this new UI and the light option. Just snappy.

JeffG

Is anybody else having trouble transferring games from one hard drive to another in bulk? Specifically, when I pause the transfer, it will only stay paused for about 5-7 seconds before starting to transfer the next game in the queue?

On a related note, where in the system can I report this issue? That option was taken out of the shutdown menu?

That aside, I'm loving this new UI and the light option. Just snappy.

I am doing a 155 item copy. It paused for me for 10 secs with no issues (and then I resumed it)

ozprime

I am doing a 155 item copy. It paused for me for 10 secs with no issues (and then I resumed it)

Ok. Maybe I just need a complete power down to get the initial cobwebs out of the update. Thanks.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing with a new 4TB HD I bought for this.

MCD

I don't know why on hell Xbox One X is Nov 7. Update and games feel worthless without it. :(

ViciousDS

Banned
Remember its abit different now and most wont like it at the beginning. I did to. But after week i got used to it and now i think its the best one.

i loved it immediately its so much faster and more responsive.

Only annoyance is actually having to hit friends in the friends tab to access the list......its an extra step probably not needed

excuse the phone pic but it gets the issue across. Before the fall update blurays looked the same as my stand alone now its messed up just like it was and way i left the alpha program and other issues.

fall update
UGOKE26.jpg

Stand alone samsung 4K and how Xbox looked before update
Sru22w4.jpg

Gross.

Flagship

It's beautiful. I've left it on that for the past few weeks. Feels like a new machine.

I tried to but it hurts my eyes too much and 90% of the time I play late evening/night so I'm just going to leave it black.

As for the new update ,I really like it so far! Roll on the OG xbox backwards compatibility! :)

KageMaru

Yup 4k bluray blacks look brown they totally ignored my reports
Tested alien covenant space looks brown and in my Samsung stand alone 4k player blacks are perfect just like the Xbox was before the fall update

Damn it MS! I had hoped to use the 1X as a 4K bluray player. You can vote on apps like the bluray player app, right? I wonder if a bunch of bad reviews would get their attention.

Thank you looking into it. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced 4K HDR bluray player?

Top Bottom