• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't care what you've heard, watched or read. PLAY DARK SOULS 2 before you die

charpunk

This is like saying don't play Mario Sunshine because it's not as good as Mario 64, or don't play Super Mario 3D Land because it's not as good as Galaxy.

Just because a game is worse doesn't mean it's not worth playing. I think Dark Souls fans just have ridiculously high standards because DS1 is so fucking amazing.

I wasn’t being serious . A lot of people bash this game but it wasn’t terrible. I enjoyed it, though the amount of bosses could have been toned down.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I tried to get into DarkSouls 2, but I’m just not feeling it. I don’t remember how far I got (maybe a quarter of the way through), but I don’t like it.

I didn’t care much for the setting, and the combat didn’t feel good. Something felt really off, like the controls or timing was weird.

I didn’t know the game had such a hate boner for it going on online, but I was personally disappointed in it, especially after being so excited for it. I didn’t buy it day one, as I didn’t have time to dive into a Dark Souls at the time, but I got the PS4 version when it had a sale that was too good to pass up. It’s my least favorite of the Souls games, though. I may give it another chance one day, but I have so many other games to play that I’m enjoying more right now.

SS4Ricky

Neo Member
Not gonna go through the whole thread but man I see this come up a lot. Pass on this game, it's bad and was a complete waste of time for me. It was probably the most unenjoyable souls game I've ever played, and I've played them all. There's really no need to defend this game, it's ok. Misery does NOT like company when it comes to Dark Souls 2. Do not do it.

Davey Cakes

I wasn't being serious. A lot of people bash this game but it wasn't terrible. I enjoyed it, though the amount of bosses could have been toned down.
Oh I know. Just figured your comment was a good opportunity for me to throw my opinion out there.

Also yes, the bosses should've been reduced in quality and increased in quantity. Nothing special about the vast majority of the boss fights. I'd say the areas of the game are better bosses than the bosses themselves.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
DS2 is like the opposite, the game only gets good after you beat the Four Frees (or whatever the fuck they're called, they all fucking suck except Lost Sinner)

Not sure how one level (Lost Izalith) makes an entire half of a game have awful design and repetition but I'll just assume you didn't play the game. Assuming you mean the tutorial boss showing up again? Which is hilarious considering how many times Pursuer's stupid ass shows up in SotFS.

It's not just Lost Izalith, but the Demon Ruins and the Crystal Cave. Blighttown was also a massive turd while we're at it. DS2 didn't have any areas that made me want to toss my controller at the wall; even Earthen Peak wasn't so bad as far as poison areas are concerned, which are generally the worst parts of the Souls games.

The Pursuer is actually quite easy to fight/dodge after you meet him the first time.

JDB

Banned
I've played a good amount of DS2, but it's the only Souls game I can't play anymore. The moment-to-moment combat is just not that fun. To me it feels too unresponsive and clumsy.

SkylineRKR

DS2 is great game, with great PvP, Covenants and hub.

The areas are not so great, they are lacking in atmosphere and there are too many. Some the size of a backyard. But I felt it never reaches the lows of DS1's late game. Though not its highs either.

On Ps4 the performance and load times were a godsend after Bloodborne. And the summoning was so too.

Gamegeneral

I plan to start up a new character next time Return to Drangleic kicks off.

Last time it was in february, so hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

T8SC

maybe you shouldn't buy things just because everyone else likes it. if we all told you to jump off a bridge, would you?

I enjoy fantasy settings, I like games with new lore, i like 3rd person action titles etc etc

When something is hyped as much as the DS games are on here, and the game fits the criteria you generally enjoy, then why not buy it?

Not exactly the same as jumping off a bridge. That's quite a poor analogy.

Ugh, I'm about to do SotFS soon.

DX9 DS2 is flawed but an enjoyable experience. DX11 DS2 is fucking garbage and I'm dreading even thinking about going through it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
OP do you care about what I played? Spent a few hours in the opening area (forest of the giants?) and the game was absolutely miserable.

Not fun to control (apparently you have to level up a stat to fix it? Bad idea) and terrible enemy placement. Every encounter consisted of 4-5 enemies ganking me.

While theres some big mobs in the other games it wasn't every other encounter.

By default I should like this game considering I loved Demons, Dark, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 but alas.

Nev

Banned
Build variety/power stance
'Huge'
PvP/Covenants

-

Good combat
Good level design
Good bosses

=

Worthless features because bad gameplay.

I mean, of course it's a must play because even if mediocre for the series' standard it's still better on its own than 90% of the AAA trash out there.

Some of these posts are just depressing and tiring.

Dark Souls II isn't a bad game.

The creature design and especially boss design is pretty neat in a lot of circumstances (yes, even compared to the rest of the series)

Some of the best settings and atmospheres of the series imo.

I still don't understand what people are talking about when it comes to the rolling. Rolling seems to work better than in Demon's Souls Imo.

Mob enemies are all throughout the series. There doesn't seem to be more in this game than any other one.

The beginning and hub do feel off, but as you delve deeper into the game it gets more standard. There really are some shitty areas, but every Souls game has that. (Like the greater portion of the second half of Dark Souls 1)

No. This wasn't my first Souls game.

tesqui

DS2 is held very dearly to me just because it was the second Dark Souls game. I was so hyped and loved every second of it.

Sciz

I've made something like ten different characters in Dark Souls, four or five or which went through the entire game.

Souls 3, I had three different characters, two of which finished.

I beat Souls 2 just once and left it behind without even considering a second round.

Zaru

I enjoyed all soulsborne games about equally (except Demon's for the carry limit)
What does that say about my taste

The world progression is really just kills DS2 for me. With the exception of Majula, there weren't really any memorable areas. Plus, if someone could explain to me how the Iron Keep exists above a windmill fortress, I would appreciate it.

Blobbers

To use an AVGN phrase, Dark Souls 2 is a travesty of bad game design.

Imagine a game where the player movement feels off, where the "fast" roll is lethargic, where they said "fuck it" to any semblance of world cohesiveness or good level design, "quantity over quality" mentality is at the core of almost every aspect of the game, where they learned all the wrong lessons from "prepare to die" (it's not about a challenging game that feels organically difficult, but about giving as many handicaps to the player so more epic deaths will occur, via stupid game mechanics and encounter design)

Now realize we're talking about a Dark Souls game. So a major fuck up, multiplied by 3

Dark Souls 2 is the only Souls game to wear me down to the point of quitting on NG+ with its shitty game mechanics and awful, frustrating player movement. You can't be a flippy ninja. It feels off, wrong.

To use an AVGN phrase, Dark Souls 2 is a travesty of bad game design.

Imagine a game where the player movement feels off, where the "fast" roll is lethargic, where they said "fuck it" to any semblance of world cohesiveness or good level design, "quantity over quality" mentality is at the core of almost every aspect of the game, where they learned all the wrong lessons from "prepare to die" (it's not about a challenging game that feels organically difficult, but about giving as many handicaps to the player so more epic deaths will occur, via stupid game mechanics and encounter design)

Now realize we're talking about a Dark Souls game. So a major fuck up, multiplied by 3

Dark Souls 2 is the only Souls game to wear me down to the point of quitting on NG+ with its shitty game mechanics and awful, frustrating player movement. You can't be a flippy ninja. It feels off, wrong.

Explained it better than I did.

J3ffro

Huh. As it turns out, I own all three Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Demon Souls (through PS+ for that one) and the only one I've beaten is Bloodborne, and the only one I haven't even tried is Dark Souls 2.

I bounced off of Demon Souls because I couldn't go back to the PS3 controller. I put a solid 10 hours or so into Dark Souls 1 on PC (with the appropriate game fixing mods), and I put about 5 hours into Dark Souls 3 on PS4 when it came out, and it didn't grab me.

I enjoyed that triumphant feeling of beating a boss in Bloodborne, be it on my first or second go, or on my eighteenth try, but it's such a time investment I don't think I can go that route again. I know they aren't that long of a game, but BB was bouncing around my head whenever I wasn't playing it. And as someone who's starting a company, as well as writes books on the side, I can't devote that much brain function to a game anymore.

But now I'm debating installing Dark Souls 2 that I got on the Humble Monthly earlier this year, and seeing if it gets its hooks in me.

Because apparently I'm stupid.

Top Bottom