• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am ready to attend my first standard FNM and have put together the deck below. How does it look? Please ignore the mana base. I have a few of dual lands but I don't remember their names.

https://deckstats.net/decks/90385/775042--1-1?share_key=c5tFSvYIx0Lzl7sn

that looks like it's a lot of fun, probably could use some more removal but right now I'd say take it as is and see what works and what doesn't. At a glance I wonder whether the green is worth it and if you think it is whether the spider is furthering your gameplan in a meaningful way.

A card you might want to look at is Blossoming Defence from Amonkhet as you're fairly creature heavy.

Justin

that looks like it's a lot of fun, probably could use some more removal but right now I'd say take it as is and see what works and what doesn't. At a glance I wonder whether the green is worth it and if you think it is whether the spider is furthering your gameplan in a meaningful way.

A card you might want to look at is Blossoming Defence from Amonkhet as you're fairly creature heavy.

The spider is there for the drain. The plan is to hopefully have an Ammit or two on the battlefield with the spider so every-time my opponent casts a spell they are being drained. An earlier version used Soul-Scar Mage's ability with blazing volley to blast all the opponents creatures with -1/-1 and the plan was to hopefully drain 3 or 4 per cast so maybe the spider isn't quite as good without it. As for Blossoming Defense I thought about using Hapatra's Mark because it gives hexproof but also removed all -1/-1 counters so it can be used to refresh the Ammit when it is about to die.

Yeef

Why don't they just do Legendary Dual Lands with no types in Commander?

Dual Land
Legendary Land
T: add W or U to your mana pool.

Making them legendary means they play great in a singleton format and don't invalidate every other dual in casual 60s, and their lack of fetchability makes them unlikely to see play in Legacy, and still makes the original duals better for EDH.
The reserved list keeps them from doing that.

A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, subtypes, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness.
Legendary is a supertype, so they can't just print legendary or snow duals without going against the reserved list policy.

Because they want actual Commander players to be the ones buying the Commander decks. If they decide to finally bite the bullet and make those they need to do it in a booster set like Conspiracy.

Because they want actual Commander players to be the ones buying the Commander decks. If they decide to finally bite the bullet and make those they need to do it in a booster set like Conspiracy.
those lands wouldn't be that good for eternal formats though, the closest comparison I can think of is fast lands which to my knowledge don't see much play in legacy.

bigkrev

What format will these see play in other than commander?
Unplayable in Legacy/Vintage, and come with a real restriction in casual 60 card formats

Hero

I actually kind of wonder if they're ready to do Snow Duals like they had test cards for way back when. Between doing Eternal Masters getting a lot of necessary non-reserved reprints and Legacy coming back onto the tourney scene, it seems like they might be going towards that.

Random thought, given the effects that Masterpieces have on card prices, that means they are best used in sets where there is no desire for rares to be particularly expensive. Such as a type of set that experienced players already typically ignore, but sometimes provides important Standard cards. What I'm saying is, I think it makes sense for Masterpieces to be a Core Set only thing.

kirblar

Random thought, given the effects that Masterpieces have on card prices, that means they are best used in sets where there is no desire for rares to be particularly expensive. Such as a type of set that experienced players already typically ignore, but sometimes provides important Standard cards. What I'm saying is, I think it makes sense for Masterpieces to be a Core Set only thing.
Not if you want players to draft the sets.

I can't help but wonder why they have not reprinted Flusterstorm yet. Is it simply because it's too good for Modern?

Scavenging Ooze started life in Commander but quickly made it's way to Standard/Modern.

Flusterstorm is now an $88 card.

kirblar

I can't help but wonder why they have not reprinted Flusterstorm yet. Is it simply because it's too good for Modern?

Scavenging Ooze started life in Commander but quickly made it's way to Standard/Modern.

Flusterstorm is now an $88 card.
Yeah, it needs an EMA, mostly cause Storm is not a mechanic they ever want in Standard again. It'd likely be fine in Modern, but no point to busting that rule.

Yeah, it needs an EMA, mostly cause Storm is not a mechanic they ever want in Standard again. It'd likely be fine in Modern, but no point to busting that rule.

Watch this video, it falls into line with things we've discussed here before:

https://youtu.be/wZFS1f2M5uQ

Add in that WotC have mentioned having product that could release new cards into Modern while bypassing Standard.

I'm all for that as long as it isn't a ten dollar pack, but that's likely what's to come. Modern Masters sets that contain Modern legal cards that have never been released into the Standard format.

Releasing new cards into modern outside of atandard would basically make modern eternal.
Unfortunately, that means that Modern will be forever a Black Leaning format, Heavier on Aggro/Midrange. Wizards views Counterspell as a mistake, and Modern is generally 1 Turn faster then what they deem acceptable for Standard(See Negate, which barely sees play in Modern relative to other 2 CMC Counters, but suddenly it's great at 1 Mana in the form of Stubborn Denial), Doom Blade v Push, Angler v Tombstalker)

How does Modern not already count as Eternal?
It doesn't get cards from supplemental products.
Unfortunately, that means that Modern will be forever a Black Leaning format, Heavier on Aggro/Midrange. Wizards views Counterspell as a mistake, and Modern is generally 1 Turn faster then what they deem acceptable for Standard(See Negate, which barely sees play in Modern relative to other 2 CMC Counters, but suddenly it's great at 1 Mana in the form of Stubborn Denial), Doom Blade v Push, Angler v Tombstalker)
Which is fine, Grixis DS being a mostly UB deck suggests blue isn't far from the other colours and holding it back is preferable to another blue dominated format.
Counterspell wasn't the mistake it was not having cast triggers much earlier in the templating of magic. The resounding "no" of countermagic was a mistake, I love the eldrazi for asking for 2 answers to their 1 spell even though I do like to play control these days.

Thoughtseizes is now the biggest offender in that regard but that doesn't mean I want another one of them.

Out of the HasCon promos, only Sword of Dungeons & Dragons is in Unstable
armadagon asked: Mark, will all three of the Hascon "crossover promos" be available in Unstable, or will it only be the Sword of D&D?

Only Sword of Dungeons & Dragons.

SDCC Bolas scroll
tumblr_inline_otcvkkvu3G1sao0wy_640.jpg

Dual Land
Legendary Land
T: add W or U to your mana pool.

Making them legendary means they play great in a singleton format and don't invalidate every other dual in casual 60s, and their lack of fetchability makes them unlikely to see play in Legacy, and still makes the original duals better for EDH.

Honestly? Probably for the same reason they don't print strictly-worse but functionally identical duals with specific (non-)downsides for Legacy: because people who own a clutch of overpriced duals would whinge about it.

Repgnar

Crocodile

In what is news to me, there is going to be a Magic SDCC tonight (6:30pm at I assume PST). Hopefully they give a good rundown on future products <3

Repgnar

In what is news to me, there is going to be a Magic SDCC tonight (6:30pm at I assume PST). Hopefully they give a good rundown on future products <3

Is now a good time for the Commander spoilers to start? It comes out end of August so it's a little early but if they're doing something for SDCC that should be the nearest to release.

Crocodile

Is now a good time for the Commander spoilers to start? It comes out end of August so it's a little early but if they're doing something for SDCC that should be the nearest to release.

At a minimum I would expect the face cards of each deck and a confirmation of what the tribes are. More than that would be appreciated but may be unrealistic to expect.

Santiako

For the past couple of years there's only been one week of spoilers for these, two weeks before they are released, so they should be August 14 to 18.

Repgnar

At a minimum I would expect the face cards of each deck and a confirmation of what the tribes are. More than that would be appreciated but may be unrealistic to expect.

Spoilers was definitely the wrong word to use. This is what I was getting at. Official announcement of the tribes and possibly the actual Commanders since the artwork got leaked within the last week.

bigkrev

Do they even do news at these things anymore now that they have Announcement day week?

I think last year was a Live Blogatog with Maro where he just answered questions

Justin

How did it go? I tried making a -1/-1 Jund deck really similar to that and my wife's Cat deck destroyed it. Haven't played it enough to see if it was just bad draws or the norm.

It actually went pretty decently for my first build. I only played two rounds before I had to drop to go to my regular LGS to draft but I won 2 of the 5 games. One of those losses happened when my Chandra was sitting on seven loyality and was stolen by my opponent

The version running red is so much better than the GB one. The Soul-Scar mage is deffinetly the MVP and I was able to keep Hapatra up much longer than I thought I would be able to. One of the matches I got seven total triggers off of the Spider which was fun. The most snakes I had at one time was 5. Also getting the Scopion God out on turn four is amazing.

The main thing I need to work on is the mana base. I will probably throw in 2 evolving wild since there were a few times I was stuck waiting for my third color.

Everyone I played against thought the deck was pretty cool. It seemed like most people hadnt looked to hard at the new cards and were still playing their old decks. One guy explained that he really liked his current deck and just wanted to keep playing it till rotation and then he would look at new builds.

Let's talk about lands in Commander.

What are the best budget options that you guys use for your commander decks? Obviously Command Tower, Ravnica Bouncelands, Checklands, Trilands and panoramas (for 3 color decks), and enemy color man-lands are good, but what's next best after those?

At that point the options seem to be Evolving Wilds, Temples, Refuges, Tangos, and Ash Barrens. At some point though just having more basics would be better than including more.

Do you guys even bother with Karoos in single color decks? I just hate how much worse they than the Ravnica ones.

hermit7

Let's talk about lands in Commander.

What are the best budget options that you guys use for your commander decks? Obviously Command Tower, Ravnica Bouncelands, Checklands, Trilands and panoramas (for 3 color decks), and enemy color man-lands are good, but what's next best after those?

At that point the options seem to be Evolving Wilds, Temples, Refuges, Tangos, and Ash Barrens. At some point though just having more basics would be better than including more.

Do you guys even bother with Karoos in single color decks? I just hate how much worse they than the Ravnica ones.

Checks, pain lands, temples, and the vivids are probably what you're looking for. Temples have the biggest upside for coming into play tapped, Pains and checks are good and usually enter untapped. Vivids have a limited number of times you can get any mana but by that time you're usually able to get all your colors reliably. Those and a bunch of basics. Maybe a terrmorphic and evolving wilds for actual fixing.

I bought a NM Scorched Ruins tonight. Honestly I didn't know the card existed but looking it up, it is on the Reserved List so I thought it was a no-brainer on the cheap. The beautiful art by John Avon is nice too.
I'll use it in Commander with Crucible of Worlds in play. :)

2014-scorched-ruins-cropped.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom