• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm24

It'll play PS2 and DC games at 480i only. It won't do 480p and for that you would need a PVM-xxL5 or BVM-20F1U. But yeah, for 240p and 480i it'll be great.
That's great to hear! I'm very new to seeking out the best quality from my games (outside high end of monitors). I don't think I have any reference for a difference in 480i and p so I expect I'll be blown away regardless. Thanks for the information!

Zushin

You will be fine :) unless you're an OCD fuck like me or some others here you'll think it looks great. I do think some games look great too like mario Sunshine and wind waker. The colours really shine on component. The biggest issues mainly is aliasing.

Haha excellent. Thanks again!

Homies and mijos, I have a Sony KV-32FV310, the 32" version of supposedly the best consumer grade SD television ever made, that I'm looking to get rid of in the Central Florida area. I also have a gently used SCART to component transcoder that will allow you to plug in your RGB SCART consoles. The TV has 2 component inputs, so I would use the one for converted SCART systems and the other for mixed component systems. It also has 2 S-video/composite inputs.

These I offer for free to anyone from this thread that wants to pick it up. The TV is quite heavy, 170 lbs or so, and I can't transport it by myself. I would hate to take it to a recycling center, since it is in such good shape. I actually had a TV tech do some work on it about a year and a half ago, replacing some caps and stuff like that. I really really wanted to use it to build a homemade arcade cabinet, but I moved to a smaller place and just couldn't get the project going.

Reply here or slide into PMs if interested. Thanks.

Brhoom

Banned
Homies and mijos, I have a Sony KV-32FV310, the 32" version of supposedly the best consumer grade SD television ever made, that I'm looking to get rid of in the Central Florida area. I also have a gently used SCART to component transcoder that will allow you to plug in your RGB SCART consoles. The TV has 2 component inputs, so I would use the one for converted SCART systems and the other for mixed component systems. It also has 2 S-video/composite inputs.

These I offer for free to anyone from this thread that wants to pick it up. The TV is quite heavy, 170 lbs or so, and I can't transport it by myself. I would hate to take it to a recycling center, since it is in such good shape. I actually had a TV tech do some work on it about a year and a half ago, replacing some caps and stuff like that. I really really wanted to use it to build a homemade arcade cabinet, but I moved to a smaller place and just couldn't get the project going.

Kuwait isn't very far from there, is it?

Lol

Peltz

Hey all, I'm possibly in the process of acquiring a PVM-1343MD. I've hunted around for impressions and have seen only positive things which is great. I'm excited to get it however I'm a little confused as far as it's specs go. I see that it outputs 600 lines, I'm from the world of resolutions ending in i or p. My ultimate goal is just to play retro games up to ps2, can this PVM do that? Am I limited in any way with any console from NES to Saturn Dreamcast to PS2?

You'll be good as long as you don't expect 480p and it's in good condition. 480i still looks mighty nice on a PVM.

600 lines just means that you'll see thicker scanlines than what you're used to on a consumer set. It will land somewhere between these two examples, but still very clear like the right picture.

svidsg.jpg

MrNelson

Banned

What part of Central Florida we talking here?

Anywhere near Tampa?

Mike Golf

There are some setting turned on that I didn't mess with, and I can't find the remote...

You could always get a universal remote, it takes a little fiddling and isn't perfect but ahould work depending on your set's manufacturer.

But if what your set is doing is similar to mine, there may be no way to disable it unfortunately.

Brhoom

Banned
What part of Central Florida we talking here?

Anywhere near Tampa?

St. Cloud, approximately 1.5 hour drive from Tampa I would say.

I can confirm the 310 is godlike. Here's what it'll look like (shot on my 310)

FUCKING GO NOW!!!

You could always get a universal remote, it takes a little fiddling and isn't perfect but ahould work depending on your set's manufacturer.

But if what your set is doing is similar to mine, there may be no way to disable it unfortunately.

I searched today but didn't find the remote I'll buy a cheap universal remote and hopefully it can be disabled.

Conezays

Great shot, socksfelloff.

Thought I'd post some shots of my PVM 14M4U (800 lines!) I acquired a couple months ago (my second PVM).

My pictures can't compare to some of the best taken ones on here but hopefully this gives an idea of the image and how it can differ between systems.

Mystical Ninja on N64 with RGB.

H.E.R.O. on Colecovision with composite.

Streets of Rage 2 on Genesis with RGB.

Note that I've further adjusted the monitor since to slightly improve some of the geometry.

Brhoom

Banned
Tried AA gameshark codes, EW!!!

Great shot, socksfelloff.

Thought I'd post some shots of my PVM 14M4U (800 lines!) I acquired a couple months ago (my second PVM).

My pictures can't compare to some of the best taken ones on here but hopefully this gives an idea of the image and how it can differ between systems.

Mystical Ninja on N64 with RGB.

H.E.R.O. on Colecovision with composite.

Streets of Rage 2 on Genesis with RGB.

Note that I've further adjusted the monitor since to slightly improve some of the geometry.

PVMs are like emulator quality, wow.

I'm probably going to have to find a new stand to put it on. I don't think the one I'm using now is going to be able to support a damn near 200 lbs TV.

You can have the table I have it on as well, I won't need it. Between the TV and the table though, you should have at least a mid-sized hatchback with nothing in it to transport all of this, if not something bigger. I have a Ford Focus hatchback and I think if I put the seats down and had nothing in it I could just barely fit this stuff in.

bodine1231

I may have hit the PVM jackpot today. One of the editing studios I emailed last week just emailed me back and said they have 5 PVM's that are in storage that they'd sell! I told him I'd take them all but the guy doesnt know what they go for so he'll get back to me,great... I'm expecting him to jump on eBay and want an arm and a leg for them now. He's got a 20L5,3x 1954q and a 1354q. I'm hoping he'll cut me a bulk deal to get rid of them but I'm not hopeful now. What would you guys think is a good price for them all?

That's really amazing. I'd love to get one of these someday. Love my PVM but sometimes 20 inches feels a bit small in this day and age. Did they make this model in 24, 27, 29 inch sizes???

They came in 27,32 and 36". I have the 32 and that's a great size for 4 of us to sit infront of and get drunk. I mean play n64.

bodine1231

Well the guy from the movie studio got back to me and said I could come by and check out all the PVM's in person. I got there and met the owner and he was super cool,we chatted about gear for about 20 minutes in his office (NICE office) and why I wanted the PVM's. I told him about how they were perfect for classic games and he laughed and said he used to catch the editors playing on them when they were being used.

After we chatted he took me to one of the spare editing rooms where he had them all lined up and running on some studio gear,my jaw hit the floor. All of them had PERFECT picture and the geometry was EXCELLENT on all of them. I've had a PVM (20M4U) so I know what they look like,mine didn't look this good,these were NICE. A couple years ago they upgraded all of thier equipment and they just sat in the editing room in a corner,he didn't have the heart to throw them away because they cost alot of money (i bet). He said he purchased all of them brand new about 10 years ago and had them looked over every couple of years by a tech to keep them up to spec because they were used as their primary monitors for editing movies and commercials.

I was instantly sold of course. The problem was we never discussed price,the last time we emailed he said he didn't know what they were worth and needed to check,which is of course a bad sign.

So I braced myself and asked "how much are you asking"?

He said $500...

for all of them,this happened next...

6d1RnH6m.jpg

8sfOHlRh.jpg

So yeah,I go from a busted 20M4U to having seven PVM's in the span of a week (picked up two more from a couple other studios). I might sell a couple of these locally for like $250 (that's a fair price, right?) just to make my money back because I had to dip into savings to buy all of these. It was once in a lifetime and I didn't want to regret it later.

My biggest tip if you are looking is to google your state and "movie editing studios" and just email them all. While I struck out at 20+ places,it only takes one to have them. And usually places like that have more than one.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh, my gscartsw lite and gcompsw showed up today. Cool! I'll take pics later, once I'm home and can take 'em out of the box.

Also got all the remaining parts for my arcade stick. This should be quite the adventure.

Well the guy from the movie studio got back to me and said I could come by and check out all the PVM's in person. I got there and met the owner and he was super cool,we chatted about gear for about 20 minutes in his office (NICE office) and why I wanted the PVM's. I told him about how they were perfect for classic games and he laughed and said he used to catch the editors playing on them when they were being used.

After we chatted he took me to one of the spare editing rooms where he had them all lined up and running on some studio gear,my jaw hit the floor. All of them had PERFECT picture and the geometry was EXCELLENT on all of them. I've had a PVM (20M4U) so I know what they look like,mine didn't look this good,these were NICE. A couple years ago they upgraded all of thier equipment and they just sat in the editing room in a corner,he didn't have the heart to throw them away because they cost alot of money (i bet). He said he purchased all of them brand new about 10 years ago and had them looked over every couple of years by a tech to keep them up to spec because they were used as their primary monitors for editing movies and commercials.

I was instantly sold of course. The problem was we never discussed price,the last time we emailed he said he didn't know what they were worth and needed to check,which is of course a bad sign.

He said $500...

6d1RnH6m.jpg

8sfOHlRh.jpg

So yeah,I go from a busted 20M4U to having seven PVM's in the span of a week (picked up two more from a couple other studios). I might sell a couple of these locally for like $250 (that's a fair price, right?) just to make my money back because I had to dip into savings to buy all of these. It was once in a lifetime and I didn't want to regret it later.

My biggest tip if you are looking is to google your state and "movie editing studios" and just email them all. While I struck out at 20+ places,it only takes one to have them. And usually places like that have more than one.
where do you live? i'm coming over!

They could all be linked together with BNC cables from output to input right? Isn't that how they were used in news studios?

A related question, I have a JVC monitor and I was wondering if this chain would work:

Consoles to SCART switch
SCART switch output to BNC adapter
BNC RGB cables into JVC monitor
BNC RGB cables out of JVC monitor out
BNC to SCART adapter (going in the other direction? does that exist, or does the one cable work going both ways?)
SCART to Framemeister adapter

This setup would allow me to simultaneously play a game on my little JVC RGB monitor as well as the Framemeister on my plasma. I would probably just do it for a cool pic to post here.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Sync is directional so it would be a different cable. I don't know if anyone makes those cables but you could probably just open up the scart head and solder it to the other pin.

Peltz

Lol I dont think I have that many SNES scart cables.

No, you should chain the monitors together with BNC cables. You'll only need one SNES SCART cable.

They could all be linked together with BNC cables from output to input right? Isn't that how they were used in news studios?

A related question, I have a JVC monitor and I was wondering if this chain would work:

Consoles to SCART switch
SCART switch output to BNC adapter
BNC RGB cables into JVC monitor
BNC RGB cables out of JVC monitor out
BNC to SCART adapter (going in the other direction? does that exist, or does the one cable work going both ways?)
SCART to Framemeister adapter

This setup would allow me to simultaneously play a game on my little JVC RGB monitor as well as the Framemeister on my plasma. I would probably just do it for a cool pic to post here.

They do make the adapter in the opposite direction. I think retro console accessories will make this for you if you ask her.

Conezays

He said $500...

6d1RnH6m.jpg

8sfOHlRh.jpg

Damn! Congrats...and I suppose we've found our host for the Retro get together.

bodine1231

No, you should chain the monitors together with BNC cables. You'll only need one SNES SCART cable.

I probably should have asked the guy for some but I just wanted to get out of there before he changed his mind,lol. I also totally forgot to ask for power cables as well.

dubc35

Holy PVM haul! I have a 1954q and enjoy it although it's no 20L5. I was able to buy it surplus from work. It came with a bunch of other stuff that I sold off, ending up buying it for ~$50. 20L5's are listed at like $1,000 on eBay now. Amazing deal, congrats as it sounds like persistence paid off...big time.

He said $500...

6d1RnH6m.jpg

8sfOHlRh.jpg

Yoooooo if you're willing to ship let me know.

bodine1231

Holy PVM haul! I have a 1954q and enjoy it although it's no 20L5. I was able to buy it surplus from work. It came with a bunch of other stuff that I sold off, ending up buying it for ~$50. 20L5's are listed at like $1,000 on eBay now. Amazing deal, congrats as it sounds like persistence paid off...big time.

Yeah while he was demoing them for me he kept telling me how the 20L5 cost way more than the others,you could also tell it was the better set with all of them running at once. I was really really hoping for a BVM,he said he had one but was keeping it just in case they needed one for some old VHS tapes.

Peltz

Yeah while he was demoing them for me he kept telling me how the 20L5 cost way more than the others,you could also tell it was the better set with all of them running at once. I was really really hoping for a BVM,he said he had one but was keeping it just in case they needed one for some old VHS tapes.

I had so many opportunities to get a haul of Broadcast quality CRTs like this. I really can't believe how quickly the scene dried up. One day they were easy to find, the next day they were gone. I feel lucky I have any at all considering I only picked mine up 3 or so years ago when they seemed to be in large supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom