• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Payback Gamescom Trailer

... Who actually thinks this looks good?

If they want to get people interested, show gameplay. GTAV racing videos look better than this.

... Who actually thinks this looks good?

If they want to get people interested, show gameplay. GTAV racing videos look better than this.

UyKTnbn.gif

i do

JaseMath

How about some fucking gameplay since the game comes out in, like, 70-some days. Also, can anyone force a story into a racing game without it seeming cheesy?

KRaZyAmmo

That did nothing for me. There are races in the game and the cops/F&F style set pieces are part of a mission style thing.

@JasonMCG: For me, it doesn't make sense to have a story in a racing. But that's what a lot of NFS players want....apparently. There are some racing games that do good without a story being involved.

That did nothing for me. There are races in the game and the cops/F&F style set pieces are part of a mission style thing.

@JasonMCG: For me, it doesn't make sense to have a story in a racing. But that's what a lot of NFS players want....apparently. There are some racing games that do good without a story being involved.

they just go after the F&F broad appeal.

They want to money.

They dont care about what NFS players want

kikiribu

I'm excited simply because I'm getting Arcade racer withdrawal and no one does NFS like NFS does. And it makes me happy to see Burnout-style takedowns are in.

Can we get a new Burnout? D:

JaseMath

Racing games are built on anticipation and twitch-reactions—not drama or story mechanics. The best racing games don't try so hard. Even titles like Split Second (which relies somewhat on spectacle) at least had to the good sense to be self aware of it's cheesiness by setting it around a game show.

God, I miss games like Burnout and F-Zero.

It's fine to include story if it's not intrusive. The point of a racing game is to race, not dabble in story nonsense.

Most Wanted worked in 2005 because it had a cheesy story, but it wasn't intrusive. EA will never find the right balance and if this does bad, it's the end of the franchise.

To be honest, if they can't do it right might as well end it too.

Best wishes.

kikiribu

EA, just WTF are they doing?
They're pulling a F&F abandoning all racing. I lost interest in the F&F movies because of it, but I neeeed an arcade racer. Hopefully The Crew 2 learns from its mistakes but I don't want a 30fps racer. Wait, is Payback even 60fps?

Newlove

It wasn't the best trailer but I am looking forward to this. I completed NFS recently with Games with Gold...I found it a little repetitive but this seems to have more variety at least. And I think as a Frostbite game it will look great in 4K HDR.

I dunno, I like this game conceptually, in that it's trying to be an action driving game/Fast & Furious. I liked Driver: San Francisco, which was in 2011. I'm into that kind of game, in theory.

But who knows about the execution and how things will fit together in practice. I will say that I am not at all convinced by this cutscene. Or the writing, which seems bad.

KRaZyAmmo

yeah it's true, they want that F&F money.

At least with Split/Second you could still concentrate on the racing and don't have to deal with a "story"

Kssio_Aug

Their gameplay trailer at E3 actually was interesting (except for the dialogue). This trailer was horrible in every single aspect.

Bandit1

Is there actual racing in this game or is it all just running from cops and F&F style set pieces?

Pretty sure they've said there will be a lot of racing. Guess they've just focused on other aspects of the game in the trailers.

they just go after the F&F broad appeal.

They want to money.

They dont care about what NFS players want

I don't really think that's fair. Need for Speed has imitated Fast and Furious before to great success among fans. Underground 2 is widely hailed as a fan favorite and there's no doubt the game was influenced by the first two Fast and Furious movies.

And Ghost seems to be addressing many of the concerns players had with NFS 2015. Offline play, greater car variety, tougher cops, and day/night cycle. Handling and a proper manual transmission remain to be seen, but they're checking a lot of the right boxes for me.

PetrCobra

When I first saw this I just left the thread because I thought it can't possibly be as bad as I thought it was. Glad to see other people come to the same conclusion.

It's a Rhino™
I noticed.
We are doing friendly banter because we are big arse friends.
I noticed, Mac. Mac. Mac mac. Mac.
Code:
POSSIBLE RESPONSE
Yes / No
Or what?
Let's try to keep up.
[Fuck you, asshole]

Just this stiff, forced, generic, artificial, vacuous out of a hat nonsense attempting to mimic a conversation.

Please get your actors in a room together and have them improvise stuff like this that doesn't really matter to the story but is supposed to make you like the characters.

Worked for Bad Company.

Eh I want to be excited for this, just show us all gameplay EA.

Also -PLEASE- let me customize the simple character model in the car. I'm sick of being generic white guy in these. Any other game it does not bother me but for some reason it irks me to no end in racing games.

Certinty

This looks like a mix of NFS games the last 5 or so years. Saying that it looks decent.

So many sim racers coming out soon that I sort of want an arcade racer to go along with them. But then The Crew 2 looks so much better than this that I might just wait until 2018.

Thebonehead

Banned
reminds me of nfs hot pursuit (2010)

Yep - The gameplay trailer is pretty much looking like Hot Pursuit. Ram others off the road with the cut to slow-mo crash.

It's no bad thing as that and most:wanted where my favourites of the previous generation.

RedFury

Yep - The gameplay trailer is pretty much looking like Hot Pursuit. Ram others off the road with the cut to slow-mo crash.

It's no bad thing as that and most:wanted where my favourites of the previous generation.
Yup original Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted were my favorite NFS. Now give me that gameplay with the customization of Underground and im golden. That looks to be the case so I'm actually finally excited for a NFS.

Daffy Duck

They best not pause the start of every fucking race with that lame shit. Jesus Christ, are you just trying to ruin the racing experience EA?

EDIT: Is that just for the video to show what the cars are?

EDIT 2: It amazes me that a game called Need for Speed can have zero sense of speed dirving at 100Mph+

And the VA is still awful.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
They best not pause the start of every fucking race with that lame shit. Jesus Christ, are you just trying to ruin the racing experience EA?

EDIT: Is that just for the video to show what the cars are?

EDIT 2: It amazes me that a game called Need for Speed can have zero sense of speed dirving at 100Mph+

And the VA is still awful.

I'm going with that was added to the video, but isn't part of the race. Could be wrong though. Hope I'm right.

Bandit1

I'm going with that was added to the video, but isn't part of the race. Could be wrong though. Hope I'm right.

Yeah pretty sure the uploader added it just to show some cars we haven't seen before. I think the offroad stuff looks pretty sweet. This will be the first NFS I've bought day 1 in a long time.

Top Bottom