• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

Nevermind that guy, check the dude above him

Yeesh.

Are the AI in Titanfall designed to replicate humans or do they do things a human couldn't?

If they are there just to replicate humans and fill out the map then presumably it'd be better to have the real deal no?

They aren't the same as the humans. They are purposely lesser than the human player characters. They can't do parkour, they can't use Titans, etc. Think fodder enemies in a MOBA game.

Sneds

The AI in the game fill a completely different role than real players. That is like suggesting a MOBA like DOTA2's fodder minions should be played by players.

As far as I'm aware, AI troops can't wallrun, double jump, or call down Titans. They're just fodder.

I'm getting mixed reports. If it's the former cool, if the latter not so cool.

Edit: I mean, why would I want cannon fodder in the game?

HariKari

It doesn't change everything, but it changes enough to give those who have grown tired of the CoD-formula something to be excited about again.

... by going back to 6v6 CoD style battles? Really?

Something got lost in the marketing translation here. I was under the impression Titanfall was going to be a large scale multiplayer game, not a closet shooter. Some of you may find that suits your tastes, and that's perfectly fine. Titanfall might be the best game ever in that regard. But I personally prefer large scale action, so I'm disappointed to see a 12 player limit.

Salex_

ABSOLUTE TRASH.

I am beyond disappointed. This is supposed to be a next gen experience? There is no other multiplayer focused next gen title that supports a maximum of 6 v 6.

I fear Respawn couldn't keep the framerate at a steady 60 frames with any more players. smh....

RRnhhqW.gif

I hope this is satire...is it satire? I'm going back and forth about it.

Sadly, it's not. It reads like a typical Swishh post (full of hyperbole).

Bgamer90

Banned
More like the Xbox One holding them back. Guess the power of the cloud just isnt enough to meet the standard 18-24 players in a room. Can't pretend that the limitations of the X1 hardware doesn't factor into something like that. Guess we'll all have to wait for the sequel to come out on the PS4 to experience the definitive version of the game probably with 18-24 players in a room with everything else running at the same time.

Joke post right?

Klocker

People are really attempting to claim this has something to do with hardware when there is another shooter on the very same console with 64 player count and better graphics? Really?

yep

of course Respawn just said because that is what works best with their AI but people ignore information so they can make silly claims

MattDoza

It's kind of a bummer, just seeing the number. Immediately I think of how Call of Duty currently is; friends being forced to play alone, in a separate lobby, or on the other team.

How many AI controlled players are expected?

Could you explain that?

Do I really have to? Do you know anything about the game's design, outside of it being fast, has wall running, and has mechs? Because that's all I know. I don't know how the gameplay loop will feel, or if there will be an emphasis on objectives, or how AI controlled players could possibly work in an online competitive game.

But I do know it's a shooter on a next gen console, and I tend to play those (as I have Killzone Shadow Fall, Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts on next gen platforms), so yeah I'll be buying it.

Edit: I also bought the latest Zelda game on 3DS with absolutely no prior knowledge to what it was about, or how it was designed. It's probably the best game I've played in recent memory. I've been gaming for most of my life, I trust my method of selecting games to purchase.

As far as I'm aware, AI troops can't wallrun, double jump, or call down Titans. They're just fodder.

They do seem to be a little bit more than something to shoot at though. I imagine they can impact a match if ignored and I remember reading interviews saying that the troops communicate so that if a pilot is in the area or perhaps a titan they'll notify you. We'll see how that aspect plays out.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
... by going back to 6v6 CoD style battles? Really?

Something got lost in the marketing translation here. I was under the impression Titanfall was going to be a large scale multiplayer game, not a closet shooter. Some of you may find that suits your tastes, and that's perfectly fine. Titanfall might be the best game ever in that regard. But I personally prefer large scale action, so I'm disappointed to see a 12 player limit.

Titanfall always looked to be intense and close quarters combat though, just with mechs now included. Depending on the map size and how a player can move around the map, maybe 6 vs 6 is just right. They should know their own game better than any of us.

Yea I'm not a fan of so much AI in a competitive shooter. 6v6 is fine (depending on map size of course) but the AI is worrying.

Hip Hop

More like the Xbox One holding them back. Guess the power of the cloud just isnt enough to meet the standard 18-24 players in a room. Can't pretend that the limitations of the X1 hardware doesn't factor into something like that. Guess we'll all have to wait for the sequel to come out on the PS4 to experience the definitive version of the game probably with 18-24 players in a room with everything else running at the same time.

You're acting as if the Xbox One is somehow still using last gen technology.

EDIT:

ABSOLUTE TRASH.

I am beyond disappointed. This is supposed to be a next gen experience? There is no other multiplayer focused next gen title that supports a maximum of 6 v 6.

I fear Respawn couldn't keep the framerate at a steady 60 frames with any more players. smh....

Another one of these comments. Come on man, serious?

abadguy

Banned
You're serious? OMG LOL this thread is amazing. I think this is one for the ages, let's archive it and look back on it in a few hundred years so we can show our great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren why the human race failed and now lives on a dead planet.

Seriously, is this real? Please tell me you are joking, PLEASE!!! I guess Uncharted is linear because the PS3 doesn't have the power to do open world games lol. Oh.My.God.
yep

of course Respawn just said because that is what works best with their AI but people ignore information so they can make silly claims

It's amazing! Some of the posts in this thread would fit well on N4G or Gametrailers forums. I don't want to believe they are serious.

Swishh

Banned
MP focused next gen titles.

BF4 - max 64 players
Killzone - max 24 players
Cod Ghosts - 18 players.

TitanFall - 12 players.

damn this is disappointing for my most anticipated 2014 title.

jediyoshi

isn't 6vs6 going to make the mech's op? there isn't going to be enough people to take one down easily and if they make them easy to take down then what is the point?

Evading them is the key. As someone pilotting them down, unless someone is on open ground with nowhere to go, they can disappear quickly. Even then, I noticed while I played at least one mech a side at each time which tends to make each other's a priority. Outside of that, all the AI to target constantly swarming in.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm not gonna act like this is the end of the world, but it isn't news that really gets me ecstatic either.

The game will probably still be cool, but I'll be wondering how much better it would be with a larger player count.

Mulgrok

15 years ago I was playing 32 v. 32 in Team Fortress Classic. Today, games can barely handle 6v6?.... truly this is next-gen technology!

zoobler3

Banned
This is where I wish it was more than 6v6. I thought the maps in this game were going to be pretty big, since you know mechs an all.

you make no sense, this is about gameplay, not just having big maps for the sake of it. people have played it was this cap and that is probably why people like it, its not like we are going into unproven ground here, the game has been played by the general public.

Gadirok

You're serious? OMG LOL this thread is amazing. I think this is one for the ages, let's archive it and look back on it in a few hundred years so we can show our great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren why the human race failed and now lives on a dead planet.

Seriously, is this real? Please tell me you are joking, PLEASE!!! I guess Uncharted is linear because the PS3 doesn't have the power to do open world games lol. Oh.My.God.

Its satire. I don't know why you are making such a big fuss about this. You're guaranteed to run into plenty of these kind of people once in awhile.

I recall so many people thinking that the PS4 would bomb and console gaming would be dead. It happens everywhere.

Zachi

Banned
The last of Us MP has some of the most epicest moments I've played for MP on my PS3 and its only 4vs4.

It does move alot slower though and is more of a tactical teambased third person cover shooter so that's factions excuse.

Not sure how titanfall would play like, but I'm not too concerned since I'm not getting it anyways.

I honestly prefer having smaller teams than larger teams. Makes the combat feel much more personal IMO.

TLOU was never meant to be like war-like battle, Titanfall is, so 6v6 sounds very low

Justin

BF4 - max 64 players
Cod Ghosts - 18 players.

TitanFall - 12 players.

Why does killzone and cod support so few players?

I'd say this is pretty bad news for me as I can't stand anything less than 8v8 or 9v9 but how good the AI is will be a big deal. If anything I won't need an XB1 on day one of this game as I had originally planned.

AJLma

Smaller player count games are always more intense. Gears 2 is probably the last time I really got invested into a multiplayer shooter and that's 5 v 5.

This kind of makes me more excited about the game. It shows me that they're taking this seriously as a competitive shooter. Going with a number that small in the face of 32, 64 and 200+ player games must have been tough for them.

Coolwhip

Banned
Do I really have to? Do you know anything about the game's design, outside of it being fast, has wall running, and has mechs? Because that's all I know. I don't know how the gameplay loop will feel, or if there will be an emphasis on objectives, or how AI controlled players could possibly work in an online competitive game.

But I do know it's a shooter on a next gen console, and I tend to play those (as I have Killzone Shadow Fall, Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts on next gen platforms), so yeah I'll be buying it.

You don't have to, but thanks! I was just curious why you would want to plunge down 60 bucks without knowing much about the game. But if you buy all console FPS games, then it makes sense.

6v6 only? That sounds weird. Since it's a battle with giant mechs I expected way more... like at least 12v12. Well let's wait and see. I'm not hyped by the game either way.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm not assuming anything, and this isn't exactly a dealbreaker, but it's disappointing. I always prefer larger player counts and more chaotic games.

abadguy

Banned
It's been tediously going on since E3. Never before have I wanted a game to be good just to silence all the detractors so swiftly.

Well if we go on impressions of gamers who have gotten their hands on it at shows, it will most likely shut them up when it finally drops.

It's COD with mechs and wall jumping. That changes everything apparantly.
Every single TitanFall thread... it's like clockwork.

BF4 - max 64 players
Cod Ghosts - 18 players.

TitanFall - 12 players.

Killzone is a clusterfuck with 24 players and can barely manage to stay at 60fps even with the recommended 8 on 8 games. I love the game, but its true.

I highly doubt they are just there for fodder. If so what the point of having bots in multiplier at all?
Might be there to help new and lesser skilled players contribute.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I know nothing about Titanfall but this has me interested. Sounds like they're going for balanced, competitive play instead of just throwing a bunch of players on a huge empty map and calling it a day.

Edit: Wow, the posts from Sony fans are utterly pathetic in here...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
you make no sense, this is about gameplay, not just having big maps for the sake of it. people have played it was this cap and that is probably why people like it, its not like we are going into unproven ground here, the game has been played by the general public.

Sorry I had my own vision for the game just based off of trailers and nothing more. I have not read impressions or watched any of the followup trailers. I was always picturing large maps with a 10v10 battle going on.

I am not angered by this news, just surprised.

Why does killzone and cod support so few players?

Can't speak for KZ, but 64-player COD would be a clusterfuck of such epic proportions. You'd just spawn and die. It's already bad enough at 12. Battlefield's maps are much larger by design.

Which is why it's silly everyone getting their knickers in a twist about this. For all we know, the maps could be the size of Blood Gultch.

Top Bottom