• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Ghost Editions selling for crazy amounts on eBay

I am obsessed with Destiny, but all I desire are the collector's edition digital goodies (WTB!).

I really don't need more closet junk that I'm just going to look at once.

Krakn3Dfx

Damn, that's a lot of scratch for a Collector's Edition. I pre-ordered the Limited Edition myself.

It'll be pretty funny if Activision floods the market with more Collector's Edition pre-orders now.

Silvawuff

Economics 101. An item is only as valuable as what the buyer is willing to pay for it. I guess it's good business pushing these, even if they're not out yet.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Damn, that's a lot of scratch for a Collector's Edition. I pre-ordered the Limited Edition myself.

It'll be pretty funny if Activision floods the market with more Collector's Edition pre-orders now.

They won't. In fact, I read that preorders already surpassed what will be available and they are asking people to switch to LE. Could just be a rumor though.

LiK

They won't. In fact, I read that preorders already surpassed what will be available and they are asking people to switch to LE. Could just be a rumor though.

The last-gen SKUs are still around. They really underestimated the demand for the current gen SKUs. Dunno if they could order more from the factories a month+ before release.

Has your friend been paid for it yet though! that's what counts. A loom band dress ended an auction at over £100,000 the buyer never paid.

True. People sometimes inflate the bidding price out of spite so that it will be relisted. A lot of abnormally high dollar bidding never gets paid.

Meh... I am playing Firefall and even though its gotten a bad rep it has everything i want in a shooter MMO set up. The TRUE open world does wonders for the game. Unlike Density which freaking ONE EARTH LOCATION?! Sorry not for me and yes I did play the beta.

What does this have to do with the ghost edition on eBay?

shanafan

eBay sells Ghost edition preorder for $1k - then gets an e-mail that their preorder was canceled due to supply.

selling both may be a reality if they both can fetch me ~$350.00 a piece.

may just go digital now and be able to play it on midnight!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
1k you say
histare.gif

I was watching a few of these bids on eBay for Destiny's limited edition and started watching a few. This morning, my friend's sold for $1,025.

DMCNmaq.png

Others were selling for $600-$700. I have one I want to keep, but that money is tempting. What's the chances of this going for even more (sealed) years from now? I guess it depends on the game's quality on release.

brainexplode.gif

Holy Crapbaskets!!! was my reaction when I saw that price.

I don't see anything on ebay above $450 with actual bids.

I feel your friend is going to get screwed and not get paid, because honestly the highest price I've seen this go for, and it's the 360 version too?

Muffdraul

If they had become available for pre-order after the beta, I totally would have grabbed a Ghost Edition. I was very much on the fence about Destiny until I played it.

Lee

Maybe. I know they want it to be truly limited, but Activision likes to make money. I fully expect some more Ghost editions to pop up somewhere early to mid August.

DryvBy

I don't see anything on ebay above $450 with actual bids.

I feel your friend is going to get screwed and not get paid, because honestly the highest price I've seen this go for, and it's the 360 version too?

Xbox One edition. I dunno either, we're still waiting to see if he pays. If he does, I'll update.

Wish I pre-ordered the Ghost edition.. I'd sell it in a heartbeat for half that. I didn't get it because I knew I would look at the ghost for 10 seconds before putting it back in the box forever. Limited Edition was a much better value since it was the same price as the full game + expansion pass anyway.

SerTapTap

Man I wish I were a scalping fuck. I have the Ghost ediiton preordered for me and am selling a preorder for the LE to a friend in the netherlands at cost. Couldn't handle selling online anyway though.

LiK

Wow, I didn't know that either. eBay isn't very friendly to sellers, which is odd since the sellers make them money...

Started a few years ago. It's a lot less friendly to sellers. More buyer protection but the balance is way off now.

BokehKing

Banned
Destiny fever is in full swing, I'm looking forward to see how well future titles do, and if future limited editions and collectibles are produced in a greater quanity

I wish I got the Ghost Edition because I could use 600 dollar profit!
Still though, congrats to your friend. Hope he enjoys the money.

lt519

Tell your friend to not ship it directly from the store, that's how you get scammed. Buyers claim they never received it and anything above $200 has to be shipped perfectly in order for PayPal to protect the seller. This happened with a lot of the new consoles. But anyway, guy will probably never pay, people just troll eBay re-sellers since there is no negative feedback for buyers now.

Arrrammis

Meh... I am playing Firefall and even though its gotten a bad rep it has everything i want in a shooter MMO set up. The TRUE open world does wonders for the game. Unlike Density which freaking ONE EARTH LOCATION?! Sorry not for me and yes I did play the beta.

You really don't seem to grasp the concept of the Beta, do you? They won't give you the whole game. There are 6 other planets and earth's moon, with more locations planned for the two DLC packs in the coming year. Good for you if you found a shooter that you like, more power to ya! But please, don't come in spewing misinformation and assumptions like a broken fire hydrant.

Back to the OP... resellers have always been present, I am not surprised that the limited edition package is selling that high. Good, very hyped game+ fan base+ limited quantity= huge demand and high price.

Arrrammis

Care to cite that? All evidence have show that Old Chicago was just a rumor culled from concept art.

Alright, further research proves me wrong (I only remembered several threads about it), and there will only be one explorable area on each planet with the launch game. (http://ps4daily.com/2014/07/destiny-one-area-planet/). However, (this is unfounded, I have no proof) due to the wording of several of the statement by Bungie, I expect quite a few more areas to be added in future DLC.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
That's batshit crazy. Unless you're a SERIOUS collector I'd sell it, make the insane profit, order the still-readily- available collector's edition and call it a day. $400-$1000 in cash is worth forgoing the Ghost replica any day of the week.

DryvBy

Tell your friend to not ship it directly from the store, that's how you get scammed. Buyers claim they never received it and anything above $200 has to be shipped perfectly in order for PayPal to protect the seller. This happened with a lot of the new consoles. But anyway, guy will probably never pay, people just troll eBay re-sellers since there is no negative feedback for buyers now.

That's what we're thinking now. I haven't used eBay in years and figured people had to buy. Guess I'll go back to not using eBay.

Top Bottom