• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Documentaries that are brazenly inaccurate/accurate that you'd recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm finishing up The People v. OJ Simpson and researching what the series exaggerated. So far it doesn't seem that much of what the series showed is too bad, but it made me wonder what other series or documentaries really fabricated what happened.

I'm more interested in documentaries that are true to the story because I won't mind watching those, but I'd still like to hear about the more inaccurate ones.

Any examples?

P.S. I was only five years old when this case happened and wow, this shit was wild.

Lol... inaccurate? Check out Dinesh D'Souza, or any right wing documentarian, really.

Good ones - Super High Me, Super Size Me, Food, Inc.

I'm finishing up The People v. OJ Simpson and researching what the series exaggerated. So far it doesn't seem that much of what the series showed is too bad, but it made me wonder what other series or documentaries really fabricated what happened.

I'm more interested in documentaries that are true to the story because I won't mind watching those, but I'd still like to hear about the more inaccurate ones.

Any examples?

P.S. I was only five years old when this case happened and wow, this shit was wild.

Why not watch OJ: Made in America documentary? It's a good companion piece to the miniseries.

Guevara

Chariots_Of_The_Gods.jpg

Chariots of the Gods?

Very inaccurate, but also very charming. The original of stuff like In Search Of..., Ancient Aliens, and more.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Lol... inaccurate? Check out Dinesh D'Souza, or any right wing documentarian, really.

Super Size Me was a bit bullshit with and the premise is pretty dumb. He wouldn't share his food log. Would be more interesting seeing a healthy person that eats nothing but healthy food start eating McDonald's every night for dinner. No shoot Spurlock wasn't doing healthy, McDonald's and most other fast food standard items don't have a lot of vitamins or minerals.

DOWN

Banned

Super Size Me is bs but fun. Absolutely not a strongly executed experiment and easily countered by response projects.

"White Wlderness" from Walt Disney, 1958.

The crew threw lemmings off of cliffs and filmed it, creating the myth that persists to this day that lemmings actually do that.

"White Wlderness" from Walt Disney, 1958.

The crew threw lemmings off of cliffs and filmed it, creating the myth that persists to this day that lemmings actually do that.
What I was going to post, haha.

It was actually a misconception long before then, but the documentary cemented it as "fact".

Bonus: they actually flew the Lemmings out for that shoot, lol

balohna

I've gotten two very conflicting looks at Twin Galaxies and the general classic gaming scene via King of Kong and Man vs. Snake.

The consistent part seems to be that TG has friends and they favour those friends when it comes to records. It seems like if you have a record and they don't already know and like you, it's an uphill battle.

Not a documentary, but the Oliver Stone movie JFK is completely wrong and it's shaped many people's perception of the JFK assassination. It's still a pretty good movie, it's just all historically inaccurate.

For documentaries, The King of Kong is one of my favorite movies, and it's considered pretty inaccurate. Most of the people involved with the movie have admitted that things didn't play out like that in real life, and that the antagonism between the favorable guy (Steve Wiebe) and the bad guy (Billy Mitchell) was not really like that at all, as well as questionable things about the records being broken. But, it makes for a better movie.

Fuchsdh

Fat Head was pretty fun to watch. And is a great rebuttal to Super Size Me.

I don't know why Super Size Me always made me so uneasy. It might've been because Morgan Spurlock is a huge prick.

Super Size Me is full of shit, but Fat Head is full of shit as well. For instance, the aforementioned link says "if the obesity epidemic is such a big deal, where are all the fat people?" as if looking around a city square actually explains the serious disparities in nutrition and healthful activities across the country (there are next to no fat people in the world, if I go by Williamsburg, Brooklyn as my sample.)

It takes five minutes of watching the video to see he's got a "guvmint hands off my fries! If I wanna be fat get out of my way" political perspective.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Pumping Iron wasn't so much brazenly inaccurate as it was very staged in several parts though I guess there is some argument as to just how staged certain parts were depending who you ask.

Also The King of Kong A Fistfull of Quarters was definitely made to portray Billy Mitchell as a giant creep and jack ass. Not that it might be totally inaccurate but most people will say that he is nowhere near as bad as the movie portrayed him out to be. In other documentaries that he has appeared in he is usually seen to be acting friendly and helpful to a lot of the other gamers he meets and interacts with.

I would say the King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. Not that I hated that movie, but it's accuracy has been disputed by certain individuals who were in it.

ACE 1991

I'm a huge fan of Adam Curtis, his worldview resonates with me pretty deeply. However, his documentaries won't be for everyone, and he does sometimes overextend his arguments about technology and politics. Check out the three part documentary series by Curtis called "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace." Be warned though that all of his movies are distressingly bleak/depressing.

"I Know What I Saw"

A documentary about the mass UFO sighting in Phoenix, Arizona dubbed "The Phoenix Lights."

It's pretty interesting. Former governer Fife Symington saw that shit, he came out after stepping down as governor and didnt have to keep quiet. He knows what he saw guys. Aliems.

maxcriden

I've gotten two very conflicting looks at Twin Galaxies and the general classic gaming scene via King of Kong and Man vs. Snake.

The consistent part seems to be that TG has friends and they favour those friends when it comes to records. It seems like if you have a record and they don't already know and like you, it's an uphill battle.

I loved King of Kong but never heard of MVS till now. How was it? It looks like parts of it are animated?

HStallion

Also most documentaries about finding big foot or the Loch Ness monster or such tend to be... highly inaccurate.

HStallion

I loved King of Kong but never heard of MVS till now. How was it? It looks like parts of it are animated?

There are actually several documentaries that involve Twin Galaxies outside the King of Kong. There is also Man Vs Snake about a man's years long quest to claim the Nibbler crown as well as Chasing Ghosts which is more of a look back at the 1982 arcade scene. As to Twin Galaxies its a pretty small place focused on a pretty niche section of gaming and gamers so its pretty close knit community and somewhat insular community.

maxcriden

There are actually several documentaries that involve Twin Galaxies outside the King of Kong. There is also Man Vs Snake about a man's years long quest to claim the Nibbler crown as well as Chasing Ghosts which is more of a look back at the 1982 arcade scene. As to Twin Galaxies its a pretty small place focused on a pretty niche section of gaming and gamers so its pretty close knit community and somewhat insular community.

Sweet, thanks HStallion. Did you like both MVS and Chasing Ghosts?

HStallion

Sweet, thanks HStallion. Did you like both MVS and Chasing Ghosts?

They are both docs on similar subjects but very different focuses. Chasing Ghosts was like a history lessen and Man Vs Snake almost felt like a character study at times. I enjoy them all but I love nerdy subjects, especially gaming related ones. The King of Kong was definitely the most ridiculous but also the most "entertaining" one. Billy Mitchell isn't a huge dick in the other docs even if he does have a big head.

Poppy

Not a documentary, but the Oliver Stone movie JFK is completely wrong and it's shaped many people's perception of the JFK assassination. It's still a pretty good movie, it's just all historically inaccurate.

For documentaries, The King of Kong is one of my favorite movies, and it's considered pretty inaccurate. Most of the people involved with the movie have admitted that things didn't play out like that in real life, and that the antagonism between the favorable guy (Steve Wiebe) and the bad guy (Billy Mitchell) was not really like that at all, as well as questionable things about the records being broken. But, it makes for a better movie.

as long as that billy mitchell secret tape part is true then thats all i really need, because that was some classic nefariousness

if not then curses! i still like the movie though, no matter how fake it is. it is a fun story

Making a Murderer was biased as fuck and excluded some key evidence to paint Steven Avery as innocent of the crime he was convicted of.

The PBS Empires series has some fantastic material and all have great narration, for example Liam Neeson narrates the Greek series. Most were made late 90s and early 2000s. http://www.pbs.org/empires/

Most are about 4 episodes, an hour each. The Martin Luther series is my favourite if you're interested in that time of reformation and Martin Luther as a person.

The Greeks: Crucible of Civilization
Napoleon
Islam: Empire of Faith
Queen Victoria's Empire
The Roman Empire in the First Century
Egypt's Golden Empire
Peter & Paul and the Christian Revolution
Martin Luther: The Reluctant Revolutionary
Japan: Memoirs of a Secret Empire
The Medici: Godfathers of Renaissance

JZA

I'm a fan of the Untold History of the US (now on Netflix), I'm curious what others have to say about it. Secrets of War is also pretty entertaining.

I thought the people vs OJ was one of the most amazingly accurate documentaries I'd seen. They'd literally take dialogue from things that were actually said. Awesome series.

Least accurate goes to The Imitation Game. Just friggin awful Oscar bait.

EDIT: I guess you were asking about documentaries and I was just thinking "based on a true story". I wouldn't call OJ a documentary.

maxcriden

They are both docs on similar subjects but very different focuses. Chasing Ghosts was like a history lessen and Man Vs Snake almost felt like a character study at times. I enjoy them all but I love nerdy subjects, especially gaming related ones. The King of Kong was definitely the most ridiculous but also the most "entertaining" one. Billy Mitchell isn't a huge dick in the other docs even if he does have a big head.

Good deal. We'll have to check them out. Thanks so much for the info!

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Unless it's backed by journalist style fact checking as like, say Frontline, all may be manipulative.

I went through two years in high school in a documentary class, sponsered by the IDA and the teacher would always drill that documentary films are all manipulation.
Super Size Me is full of shit, but Fat Head is full of shit as well. For instance, the aforementioned link says "if the obesity epidemic is such a big deal, where are all the fat people?" as if looking around a city square actually explains the serious disparities in nutrition and healthful activities across the country (there are next to no fat people in the world, if I go by Williamsburg, Brooklyn as my sample.)

It takes five minutes of watching the video to see he's got a "guvmint hands off my fries! If I wanna be fat get out of my way" political perspective.

Diet ones always have sketchy "experts" on. Pollan, Taubes, Perlmutter etc. They're selling a product not research.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
The PBS Empires series has some fantastic material and all have great narration, for example Liam Neeson narrates the Greek series. Most were made late 90s and early 2000s. http://www.pbs.org/empires/

Most are about 4 episodes, an hour each. The Martin Luther series is my favourite if you're interested in that time of reformation and Martin Luther as a person.

The Greeks: Crucible of Civilization
Napoleon
Islam: Empire of Faith
Queen Victoria's Empire
The Roman Empire in the First Century
Egypt's Golden Empire
Peter & Paul and the Christian Revolution
Martin Luther: The Reluctant Revolutionary
Japan: Memoirs of a Secret Empire
The Medici: Godfathers of Renaissance

I'm not seeing videos for any of those.

The Day the Universe Changed and Series 1 of Connections by James Burke. Two of the greatest historical documentary series of all time.

Carl Sagen's Cosmos is absolutely essential viewing.

Ken Burns' Civil War, The Dust Bowl, Prohibition, The West for excellent comprehensive and relaxing coverage of us history. Almost all Ken Burns docs are worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom