• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy VII (Casual RPG Fan Getting the Hang of This/Holy Polygons)

hwy_61

Banned
Hey, I just started playing FF7 too! Granted, I've played it like, a decade or so ago, so I don't remember much. I think now that I'm playing it as an adult, I find the writing really awkward at times. I'm loving it!

Raziel

I find stuff like this completely abhorrent, no matter how much "art style" is being pushed.
ep1tP8e.png

I can only imagine what horror this game must be if you play it with no enhancements from the original. So that means no filters or high resolution.
I can only imagine how horrifically whatever system you were playing on was crashing, if tifa looked like that for you.

Tifa doesn't have those eyes. The sprites all have specifically have huge anime eyes.

I know because upon playing the game in 1080p and max settings in ePSXe, I took lots of pictures of some of the rare close ups of the characters. Some of them look like dolls. There's a part where Elena is right in front of the screen, she has huge eyes and no mouth and looks like Hello Kitty.

Hello Kitty Elena is best Elena.

Great game. What's preventing me from enjoying it today is not the graphics, as some might expect, but the sound. It just sounds so bad. The PC version is even worse, but you can mod it to play the remastered soundtrack. Once that fan translation is done, I am totally replaying the game.

Jintor

I really love the pre-rendered backgrounds for dramatic effect. Less so when I get completely lost because i can't tell what's invisible walled or not. But when it dynamically shifts into this crazy zoom or pan as soon as you run into an area, man, that's magical.

It is absolutely one of my favorite games ever. I'm sure nostalgia helps, but fuck it's awesome. Great music, materia system is cool, pretty great cast of characters, good amount of side/hidden stuff to do. Can't really discuss the story until you're done with the game. But, I think it's pretty cool.

I just booted it up on the PS3 and played through the opening. Still so good. I was thinking about getting Ni No Kuni. This thread may have just distracted me from that.

EDIT: LOL, what the fuck is that Tifa pic!? That is not at all what she looks like in the game.

Zeal

Banned
I'd say importing and playing FFVII in Japanese as a teenager was one of those magical gaming experiences you never forget, kinda like when I first played Chrono Trigger.

Sure, I paid a hundred bucks with shipping from GameCave, and drove the poor guy on the phone insane asking for directions with where to go (yes, I would literally call the sales rep back and ask him for help with Japanese. He was a native speaker and had a Japanese PSX), but this added to making the whole experience that much more memorable.

Then came all the crazy conspiracies. Reviving Aerith, getting Sephiroth to join your party permanently, etc. Great fun.

There's not many games like this left.

EDIT: Maybe I will make a LTTP for SaGa Frontier, because that came about the same time as FFVII and was hardcore as hell. All the characters and their stories were deep and memorable. Incredibly underrated game.

Love me some Princess Whiterose.

Alucard

Banned
I still remember the awesome feeling of getting out of Midgar for the first time and thinking, "Holy shit, I -just- started this game! REALLY?!"

Weiss

Banned
I played FF7 for the first time a few years back, and while I don't think it's the 'end all to be all' RPG that it's been held as, it's still a remarkably strong game with a great cast and a memorable story, it's only real sin being the progenitor of an endless stream of terrible JRPGs that wallowed in spiky hair and melodrama.

Syril

The writing is pretty rough (who did the translation?)

Michael Baskett was the lone translator for the entire game. He had pretty much the most thankless job imaginable, because the game is still technically using a Japanese font, meaning that he had to use special notation to represent special characters in the script and format every line manually. Rough as it is, it still did a good job expressing the characters' personalities and keeping a sense of humor.

Alucard

Banned
I played FF7 for the first time a few years back, and while I don't think it's the 'end all to be all' RPG that it's been held as, it's still a remarkably strong game with a great cast and a memorable story, it's only real sin being the progenitor of an endless stream of terrible JRPGs that wallowed in spiky hair and melodrama.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Legend_of_Legaia_Coverart.png
256px-Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The best game of all time. Back then, and now.

Enjoy.

Glad to see that you're enjoying the game. I have fond memories of this game, especially wasting my summer vacation playing it all day.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I used a guide during my first time playing this game (I used the Versus Books guide) as getting Yuffie, Vincent & all of the enemy skills certainly came in handy. Also it was indispensable for chocobo breeding.

Hmm... Maybe I'll play through this game again sometime soon.

Meh, pre-render backgrounds are immortal, and it's not like some 3D stuff on DS looked that much better.
I used to think that 2D stuff also aged ridiculously better than 3D stuff. Because it wasn't even until recently that I did jumped from the most demanding emulation I did as Nintendo 64 emulation to emulating PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Gamecube and Wii games. It was was me... building my first gaming PC in years for Final Fantasy XIV. Also, to play the rare more demanding doujinshi game better.

And I must say, that while 16-bit games with filters look great. Really, really great. With 32-bit and above games the 2D textures are the ones that aged the worst and are the hardest to look good. Perhaps it is that the emulation has focused on making 3D texture look good, though.

I really like the way 3D textures upscale on PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and ect. games. It reminds me of the same way that ultra filters like hqx4 bring out the best in SNES games and 2D textures. They look really charming and smooth. Low polygons with nice sampling and other filters can look really nice, especially if they're going for a "cartoony" look. With 3D anime games, those low polygons on max settings look surprisingly similar to state of the art cell shaded games.

While on the other hand, in 32-bit games, 2D textures scale up the worst and by far look the most pixelated. Of course, it could be the fact that meshing filtering both 2D and 3D textures in the same game has a long way to go and there hasn't been enough to work on upscaling the 2D textures in modern console emulators. But whatever it is, it shows. And even with the max filters applied to 2D textures in games like Final Fantasy VII, they still look pixelated and are a stark contrast from the 3D stuff. And in Final Fantasy VII there's a lot of garbage 2D textures when you apply filters, for some reason. Though that's probably an emulation problem. They don't even have hqx4 on emulators like ePSXe or the pcsx project for that matter.

Still, I maintain that 3D textures really do age just as well as 2D ones.

Also, I know a lot of people don't share my tastes at all. Some people hate 2D textures. Some people maintain that 2D textures are always much better. Many people hate filters on anything, especially classic games. Some people are fans of scanlines and bilinear filtering even though I hate them. I happen to have an aesthetic sense for liking smoothness and so I like filters. Some people also cannot stand aspect ratio stretching at all and anyone who does it. Whereas that doesn't really bother me so much other than having a big, smooth, clean looking image.

Comet

This is my favorite game of all time.

Playing it as a teenager was a transcendent experience that no game has matched since.

same here... I replay this game every other year. I'm due for a run through this year, I'll do it on my Vita.

I really want to play this game... but I can't for the life me deal with the combat, it bores me to death. All I can think about while traversing the world is 'Please no fight, please no fight, please no fight, damn. I can't most (especially old) turn based combat anymore :[

Not really helping your case with that one on the right, there.

Don't you talk no smack of my Legend of Dragoon. It's a great game. The battle system is also pretty fantastic. It basically takes the timing aspect of Super Mario RPG and goes wild with it.

Yeah

I really want to play this game... but I can't for the life me deal with the combat, it bores me to death. All I can think about while traversing the world is 'Please no fight, please no fight, please no fight, damn. I can't most (especially old) turn based combat anymore :[

I couldn't disagree more. I find a well done turn based, menu controlled combat system far more enjoyable than most JRPGs' attempts at more "fun" combat. It's a large part of the reason FFX is my top one or two favorite FF game (along with mid-battle party member switching) and why I actually liked Blue Dragon (it got character building and combat right, the two more important parts of a JRPG to me).

In fact, I'm not even much of a fan of the addition of ATB gauges. Though it does add the strategic layer of allowing a party member's bar to fill, then saving its turn in order to react instead inputting an action, the games are never designed in such a way that it is to your advantage to do anything but input an action as soon as your are able to, which makes ATB a sort of pointless illusion of activity.

Terra

If they released it on PSN I would play the hell out of it. Such an innovative little JRPG. Armor changes being shown in combat was particularly nice.

I remember that the high attack rate of Legaia made me go nuts. Can that be right, or am I remembering wrong?

On topic, FF7 does for me, like many others hold a special place in the heart. It really captivates my early teens in three cd:s. It was school and Final Fantasy 7 back then. :)

Persona86

Banned
IMO a guide ruins the feeling of exploration. Just use it to get the extra characters and then enjoy finding out everything else for yourself.

I find stuff like this completely abhorrent, no matter how much "art style" is being pushed.
ep1tP8e.png

I can only imagine what horror this game must be if you play it with no enhancements from the original. So that means no filters or high resolution.

Ah, the classic rats nest problem.

Manu

I also started the game for the first time about two weeks ago. I'm currently 26 hours in, on the second disc, trying to get the
third Huge materia

I'm liking it a lot, and I was suprised about how I felt bad about
Aerith dying
even know it's a non-spoiler by now.
Cloud's
true backstory was great, probably the best moment in the game so far.

I only used a guide to get Vincent and Yuffie, I'd rather explore by myself. But yeah, so far it's been up to the hype.

DigitalOp

Banned
Hey!!! I'm playing through this right now too, I'm still mad early but I worked the shit out of airbuster with like 4 hits and a braver limit from cloud

Tht was awesome, grinding really pays off (not really grinding, I just literally fought every battle I've encountered since starting the game)

Bout to play more today

Jazzem

Played through it properly last year (though I had gone through eight hours on the PC version before), overall really liked the experience but thought the story was a mess. Probably not helped by the terrible translation, but the plot often felt like it was being made up as it went along, and there were tons of holes. Plus the characters weren't terribly complex or interesting, though they were likeable.

Still, the game still has an irresistible immersive quality to it, and it's rich with content and detail. It's obviously ancient in some respects but it held up pretty well on the PSP; the pre-renders look fine in their original resolution. Also really enjoyed the battle system, even if it's not the best in the genre. I'm not entirely confident I was as efficient with materia as I could have been though :p

At the end of IV PSP now, which I have enjoyed, though again the story hasn't impressed me from a critical standpoint. Like VII though, I can understand how it would have blown people's minds at the time.

Suirrad

FF VII is my favorite game of all time. I could never get tired of it and could play it over and over for years (obviously with breaks)

I hope you enjoy it OP. I was lucky enough to experience at full glory wen it released for PS1 and it changed everything about gaming for me.

I must say, the music is the best of any FF I've ever experienced and is yet to be topped for me.

BibiMaghoo

This is my favorite game of all time.

Playing it as a teenager was a transcendent experience that no game has matched since.

This is what I wanted to say, but put better than I would have.

The game impacted my view of many things significantly, and permanently. I would not be on this forum if not for this game, as I would not be a 'gamer'.

I love the flat shaded polygons in this game. It really stands out as a weird medium between flat shaded early PS1 games like motortoon Grand Prix or Jumping Flash and technical low poly end of gen masterpieces like Chrono Cross.

I just played through it again last year and navigating the weird maze sections really irked me.

I still remember this game, FFVIII, RE2, Tomb Raider, and FFT all coming out within a year or so between each other. Truly great gaming times.

I'm blown away that SE never remade this. They could have done it on the DS or PSP and not have to create any HD towns. Maybe they will remake it with the Bravely Default engine?

Edit: on second thought, the SE of today would only destroy it if they tried to remake it.

Tex117

Banned
Ah, enjoy the ride.

Though not my favorite FF by any means, square was still making excellent games at the time.

Its a classic.

This is the game that introduced me to this amazing series, while not my favorite, it's still a very good game, the overworld and the extras in is one of the series' best IMO.

Tecl0n

Good game, although it pales in comparison to other FFs this was the time where Square delivered, so expect great things out of it.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Legend_of_Legaia_Coverart.png
256px-Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg

Yes, oh god yes. Legaia is damn great, and Dragoon is hated way too much i believe, sure it's cliched as hell and the battle system leaves a lot to be desired, but damn it i will defend that game.

Ænima

Great game. What's preventing me from enjoying it today is not the graphics, as some might expect, but the sound. It just sounds so bad. The PC version is even worse, but you can mod it to play the remastered soundtrack. Once that fan translation is done, I am totally replaying the game.
I don't think I would want to play through FF7 with a "better" fan translation. Its goofy translation is part of its charm.

Seems as good a time as any to roll this out. Not for the OP though - spoilers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqdFt49s8KI
Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it before. Nostalgia overload.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I second the notion that Enemy Skill is awesome.

I ignored it the first time I played through the game. But the second time I probably used it more than any other Materia.

Top Bottom