• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Would a cellular watch have its own number? "Here's my home, cell, and... watch"?

Ha, interesting question... FaceTime only? :p
Yeah, I do wonder about that. I've always expected the lamest outcome.. even though the watch has a cell antenna it's not truly standalone. Still requiring syncing with a phone etc.. at which point I guess they could just route all the calls through software?

We can look to cellular iPads for this. Technically the answer is, yes they get their own number (since the phone companies HAVE to assign a number to give it even a data line, because that's how their systems work) but it's not a number you can call. If you call my iPad's "number" nothing happens. Actually I haven't tried that, I will after this post. But it won't ring, that's for sure.

The way around this is Wi-Fi calling. I DO have Wi-Fi calling set up on all my Apple Devices, including my Watch, so they all "borrow" my phone's number. So let's say I throw my phone in the ocean. As long as my Mac, iPad, and Watch are on Wi-Fi, if you call my number they will all still ring, since it's being routed from AT&T over that Wi-Fi connection. This even works with my cellular iPad when NOT on Wi-Fi since it still has an internet connection. If you call my number and I have my iPad out and about but not my phone, it'll still ring and I can still answer it (iOS routes it as a "FaceTime call" in order to handle it on a system level but AT&T don't care and neither do I).

Now there was someone in the other thread with inside knowledge saying Apple is trying to ditch all this and have it so you CAN actually put your number on multiple devices simultaneously and is making the big carriers adopt all that stuff in the background to support it. So Wi-Fi calling setup would not longer be necessary, since your Watch (or iPad or whatever) can just have your phone number.

Of course even if that doesn't happen the current system still works exactly as you'd expect, and would work on a cellular watch in much the same way. Apple built this system like two years ago.

Edit: called my iPad’s number, just got the error voice saying “this number is not accepting calls” as I expected

Edit: called my iPad’s number, just got the error voice saying “this number is not accepting calls” as I expected

Ah. thanks for testing it!

I've started trying to use different watch faces that I've never bothered to use. Today was Solar. It's... not very useful? You get the date, the time, and the solar path. I suppose it is kind of neat to just glance and see how much is left in the day visualized by the solar path, but it's not that useful of a watch face. And, I wish there was some way to customize it.

hirokazu

One of my chief gripes with Apple Watch - the issue with Maps tiles taking too long to load or not loading at all seems to have been fixed in one of the recent updates. Not it's super zippy to load map tiles!

Went for a day at the beach. 30 min after some water frisbee, my series 2 screen shut off and won't turn back on. So hard reset, no charging, no anything. There weren't any cracks on the screen or anything either. Pretty disappointed.

pbsapeer

Banned
Went for a day at the beach. 30 min after some water frisbee, my series 2 screen shut off and won't turn back on. So hard reset, no charging, no anything. There weren't any cracks on the screen or anything either. Pretty disappointed.
Damn. I don't think they cover for sea water in the waterproof stuff IIRC. Sorry to hear about this though.

I'd take it in and just say you were in water and it died. I don't see why the salt in the water would compromise the gasket.

I'd take it in and just say you were in water and it died. I don't see why the salt in the water would compromise the gasket.

Only say you were in the water and it died if you have AC+. Water damage isn’t covered by the manufacturers warranty, so if water did get inside and shut it down you’ll have to pay out of pocket for the repair

All repairs have to be sent to the repair center no matter what, so if there’s no Apple store nearby or you don’t want to take the trip just set up a mail-in repair on the computer. Save some time that way

Sent it in for repair and they said it should be all covered between warranty and my Apple Care. Honestly done with it though. I wanted to like the watch a lot but the limitations are not for me. Planning to sell the watch off and use it to put toward a Garmin Fenix 5.

There are also guides on caring for it after ocean exposure, and saying that the only real no-nos are high speed water stuff like water skiing.

For ocean use you just need to rinse it off after. Swam with my Garmin 5 for 3 weeks in the Mediterranean. Absolutely no issues.

Sent it in for repair and they said it should be all covered between warranty and my Apple Care. Honestly done with it though. I wanted to like the watch a lot but the limitations are not for me. Planning to sell the watch off and use it to put toward a Garmin Fenix 5.

That's what I did. If you are more into fitness it's the right choice.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's official: Removing ”Send to Watch"
Marco said:
I've spent many months of development on Overcast's Apple Watch app, especially implementing standalone ”Send to Watch" playback. Unfortunately, I now need to remove the ”Send to Watch" feature...

ther Apple Watch podcast apps revealed a workaround that made background audio much more usable on watchOS, so I decided to use the same technique and ship the feature anyway, despite its other shortcomings. That was a mistake.

That workaround doesn't work anymore in watchOS 4. Rewriting ”Send to Watch" playback to use the only supported alternative would likely take at least another month of development and testing that I currently can't spare, and due to its limitations, the resulting usability and experience wouldn't be good enough for me to confidently ship...

I intend to continue supporting and updating the Watch app as a convenient, lightweight, fast remote control for iPhone playback. But it's not possible to ship a good standalone podcast player on watchOS today, and it'll probably take a few more years of hardware and software evolution before that changes...

Can anybody explain to me why Apple doesn't want podcasts on the Watch?

For ocean use you just need to rinse it off after. Swam with my Garmin 5 for 3 weeks in the Mediterranean. Absolutely no issues.

That's what I did. If you are more into fitness it's the right choice.

I've been really tempted to sell off my Nike Series 2 for a fenix 5 especially since they've upgraded the golfing features from the fenix 3 HR. Also considering an Apporach S60 (better for golf, worse for all other fitness activities), but I think the fenix 5 would be the better all around deal. I just wish that I could find some actually in depth reviews of the golf features.

Blackhead

Redarse
There has to be SOME technical reason, it’s not even available with the Apple-made one. And they know there’s demand based on all these third party apps that had to hack it

what's the difference between music playback and podcast playback? Standalone music playback has been there since WatchOS1, yet Apple can't even make a remote control for their podcast app?

It's official: Removing “Send to Watch”

Can anybody explain to me why Apple doesn't want podcasts on the Watch?
This current version (v3) of Overcast has been dreadful for me. The entire redesign seemed like a waste, I had the debilitating bug where my phone would crash to springboard, and I sometimes get instances where the UI is unresponsive to any taps or swipes. On an airplane recently, I had to force quit the app twice during my flight because the app just became totally unresponsive. This is the only app on my phone that does this. I'm totally fine with him killing this feature if he gets the app working better. I love Marco, but this current incarnation of Overcast has just sucked.

This current version (v3) of Overcast has been dreadful for me. The entire redesign seemed like a waste, I had the debilitating bug where my phone would crash to springboard, and I sometimes get instances where the UI is unresponsive to any taps or swipes. On an airplane recently, I had to force quit the app twice during my flight because the app just became totally unresponsive. This is the only app on my phone that does this. I'm totally fine with him killing this feature if he gets the app working better. I love Marco, but this current incarnation of Overcast has just sucked.

Mine goes unresponsive for a little bit, but I know that’s because I have probably 100 or so podcasts in my list

I've been really tempted to sell off my Nike Series 2 for a fenix 5 especially since they've upgraded the golfing features from the fenix 3 HR. Also considering an Apporach S60 (better for golf, worse for all other fitness activities), but I think the fenix 5 would be the better all around deal. I just wish that I could find some actually in depth reviews of the golf features.

Do it. A lot of people in my running club have the 3/5 and we all love them.

Do it. A lot of people in my running club have the 3/5 and we all love them.

Trust me. It's tempting. I feel like it's the closest to doing everything I want in one package. In the summer golf use is quite important especially the AutoShot feature. I just can't find any reviews on the golf feature set though. I could buy an Approach S60 for golf and keep my Apple Watch for all other use.

Trust me. It's tempting. I feel like it's the closest to doing everything I want in one package. In the summer golf use is quite important especially the AutoShot feature. I just can't find any reviews on the golf feature set though. I could buy an Approach S60 for golf and keep my Apple Watch for all other use.

Yeah I don't golf much so I can't help here. Hopefully you can find answers.

Yeah I don't golf much so I can't help here. Hopefully you can find answers.

I guess I could always buy one from Best Buy or Amazon and utilize the 30 day return period if I have to. I just wish that the fenix line had more feature parity for golf with the actual dedicated golf watches they sell. I know they need to create a market for their cheaper golf watches, but the fenix is their flagship product and has all of the sensors in it to function the same as a dedicated Garmin golf watch.

So basically my options are go the fenix 5 route and live with the few shortcomings for golf and offset some of the cost by selling off my Apple Watch or buy a dedicated golf watch which is $200 cheaper than a fenix 5 and keep the Apple Watch for everyday use. Probably about a wash in terms of out of pocket costs.

f@luS

More than a member.
Holy crap

My new 2 weeks old Apple Watch ... how did that happens ?
I'm in vacation. Can it be the heat ? The water ? All this shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway. It happened randomly on my wrist. The whole screen is going away

Should I try the warranty ?

Haribokart

Banned
Holy crap

I'm in vacation. Can it be the heat ? The water ? All this shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, should be covered. Was it a series 2?

Vuze

Holy crap

Looks like a swollen battery. Don't turn it on and take it in to an Apple Store. If it's this particular issue, it's still covered under warranty even for the 2015 Watch.

f@luS

More than a member.
Yeah, should be covered. Was it a series 2?
Yeah serie 2
Looks like a swollen battery. Don't turn it on and take it in to an Apple Store. If it's this particular issue, it's still covered under warranty even for the 2015 Watch.
Already took a genius appointment

It happened on my wrist at the swimming pool. My GF told me look at your Watch it's cracked and I Saw this. No shock whatsoever

iavi

So whats the word on the next version? Any interesting rumors?

My wife and I are looking to each get one this weekend. Should we wait?

Probably. Even if you're looking g forward to an LTE model or not, I'm sure battery life on these models will only be better and they're coming up super soon.

So whats the word on the next version? Any interesting rumors?

My wife and I are looking to each get one this weekend. Should we wait?

If you can wait a month, do it. Rumors are Series 3 with LTE options, if that tickles your fancy (it does for me). And if nothing about Series 3 excites you you could always grab some end-of-life Series 1/2 for cheaper.

Thanks guys!

So for series 2, how would I play Pokemon Go from my watch? Does it use my phone's connection?

Also, is there a Spotify app? I'll gladly get an LTE watch if it means I could stop bringing my phone to the gym and just wear a watch.

Vuze

Thanks guys!

So for series 2, how would I play Pokemon Go from my watch? Does it use my phone's connection?

Also, is there a Spotify app? I'll gladly get an LTE watch if it means I could stop bringing my phone to the gym and just wear a watch.
Yes, you need your phone for data on the series 2.
No, there isn’t a Spotify app. Some guy created one (it looked super promising), was almost about to release it then Spotify stepped in and took it over (that’s what’s been said anyways) — I think it’s been shut down, has been over 6 months at this point and nothing happened. Fuck spotify

Yes, you need your phone for data on the series 2.
No, there isn’t a Spotify app. Some guy created one (it looked super promising), was almost about to release it then Spotify stepped in and took it over (that’s what’s been said anyways) — I think it’s been shut down, has been over 6 months at this point and nothing happened. Fuck spotify

That sucks. What are my music options then? The space on the watch isn't nearly enough for me plus I don't even buy songs anymore.

Vuze

That sucks. What are my music options then? The space on the watch isn't nearly enough for me plus I don't even buy songs anymore.
I guess Apple Music is your best bet since its an Apple service. I haven't used the app nor the service on a device though as of yet so i can't tell you how good or bad the experience is. Spotify lack of engagement is really frustrating indeed. The unofficial app looked so good... https://snowy.rocks

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can I use my watch without my iphone for a few weeks? I'm resetting it to give to my son, so I'll be without an iphone for a few weeks until the new ones launch. Should I unpair it now and just not use it, or will it be ok and then restore from an old backup later?

Blackhead

Redarse
can I use my watch without my iphone for a few weeks? I'm resetting it to give to my son, so I'll be without an iphone for a few weeks until the new ones launch. Should I unpair it now and just not use it, or will it be ok and then restore from an old backup later?

you can use it and restore from an old backup later. However, you'll lose all your saved data accumulated between when you disconnect the old iPhone and when you get the new one. Moreover, keeping an Apple device connected to iMessage/Facetime may also interfere with receiving sms/calls for the other phone you switch to

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thinking about it, if I’d set up a pocket wifi or something in advance before resetting my phone (so the Apple Watch learns the SSID), I should have been able to receive iMessages even out and about without my phone.. might try that another time. Cheaper than buying an LTE version :)

Ferulci

Sorry for the plug but I thought it might interest some people here.
Today we released of The Knight Watch , a puzzle game combining chess mechanics with arcade gameplay.
giphy.gif

312x390bb.jpg

You play a lone knight who can only move in L-shape (as in chess) and the goal is to clear levels by capturing all of the pieces. Chess mechanics are combined with arcade gameplay, combo system, opponents inspired from classic pieces (such as queen or moving pawns..), leaderboards and 30 skins to customize the game visuals.
One of our biggest focus was to do a good Apple Watch game. The gameplay is optimized and we created 100 specific levels and one unique game mode. We even added complications for the sake of it !

You can download the game here :
https://itunes.apple.com/app/the-knight-watch/id1128784757?mt=8

Let me know if you have any feedbacks !

mrkgoo

Sorry for the plug but I thought it might interest some people here.
Today we released of The Knight Watch , a puzzle game combining chess mechanics with arcade gameplay.
giphy.gif

312x390bb.jpg

You play a lone knight who can only move in L-shape (as in chess) and the goal is to clear levels by capturing all of the pieces. Chess mechanics are combined with arcade gameplay, combo system, opponents inspired from classic pieces (such as queen or moving pawns..), leaderboards and 30 skins to customize the game visuals.
One of our biggest focus was to do a good Apple Watch game. The gameplay is optimized and we created 100 specific levels and one unique game mode. We even added complications for the sake of it !

You can download the game here :
https://itunes.apple.com/app/the-knight-watch/id1128784757?mt=8

Let me know if you have any feedbacks !

This looks awesome! I had a totally different, but sort of similar idea a long time ago when dreaming up apps was a thing....the idea is so cool.

9to5mac has the iOS 11 gm that has a pic of likely the new watch from the iOS watch app.

https://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/apple-watch-series-3-lte-watch-app.jpeg[img][/QUOTE]

Red crown previously only available on the gold Edition watches and on Tim Cook’s watch 🤔

Please just let me use the Calendar watch app to change the particular (color-coded) calendar of events.

pleaseeee

And fix dictation so that it works more than half the time instead of doing nothing even when my phone has LTE and the two are clearly paired.

<3 my watch but the little things just don't seem to be getting much attention.

Top Bottom