• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

Mike M

Nick N
As Galen firmly grips a sodden Sagishi by the scruff of his neck, Ludwig hauls them both out of the water. The last flailing silhouettes of the Kin's men are soon lost to darkness as the river carries them out of Hammerfall's light, along with the wreckage of their barge. In scant moments, it's as though they had never been there at all.

As the echoing thunder of Keranos's spell fades away, it is replaced by the sound of distant shouts and stomping boots. Gazing up from the riverbank, a line of glowing alchemical lanterns can be seen bobbing along the switchbacks and ramps like a trail of ants as the soldiers carrying them rush toward the base of the city to investigate.

"Our window just got a whole lot smaller!" Barrow shouts down the shore to those involved in the rescue effort. "If ye don't go now, ye may never get out!"

Fhiess quickly removes his cloak to wrap the fox in to help him dry off. Looking to the others he says, "Better that we betray them than they betray us in any case. Is there any way we can slow them down?"

Keranos heaves a sigh of relief as Sagishi is saved from the threat of a watery grave, and looks at Fhiess. "They don't know we're here yet."

He begins re-fastening the straps of his armor.

"I'm sure several of you wish to yell at me right now," he says, "But that will have to wait for later. First we need to get out of here. Does anyone see a viable means of escape?"

He scans the immediate area for avenues out of this place that are not peppered with lantern light.

Perception check: [17]+5 = 22

With Sagishi saved and trouble on its way, Thosar motions to the gate looming in front of the party. "We've got one way to go, fellows. Let's get moving!"

((I feel like I somehow missed a post with important information. If we're actually at the gate out of town right now, then yeah let's go))

At the very bottom, Barrow stops the wagon on the far side of the bridge across from the looming black metal gates and finds reasons to make himself busy. The guards, for all their alleged diligence, don't seem to pay much mind to anything that's not on their side of the bridge, it being the only means of approaching the gates anyway.
We're at the bridge across from the gates.

((But why stop at using the gate? We've got boats.

I probably should have gone ahead and narrated Galen being pulled below the surface. It would have been fun.))

Nezumi

Sagishi can feel his grip on the pole slipping as the strong current pulls at him with all its might, but just as he feels himself getting carried away there is a splash in the water and someone grabs him at his neck. There is a tug and moments later he finds himself out of the river, dangling from Galen's grip.

Still dazed and his ears ringing he does not protest in the least when Fhiess wraps him in a cloak. He is dimly aware that a flight is now in order but is not quite there yet and so he simply remains in his comfortable bed of cloth.

Somewhere in the back of his mind he also registers Keranos' comment. It does not really come as a surprise that the Storm God was behind that blast, but at the moment Sagishi does not feel like wasting any energy on getting angry.

Ludwig would exclaim that he's glad to see Sagishi safely on land again, but the current situation doesn't exactly leave him with time. Ludwig looks at Keranos for a moment, then to Thosar, and says "Right. Bolt now, berate later." Almost as soon as the words are out of his mouth, he makes a break for the gates leading towards the White Wastes.

((I guess I should add that Ludwig's still pulling whatever he needs to. I think we have horses for the main wagon?))

Fhiess focuses on using his cloak as a drying cloth to scrub the dampness out of Sagishi's fur and getting to the wagon- he already has his belongings, not being much of an adventurer or hiker that carries much other than his art supplies which sit in the wagon already.

Mike M

Nick N
It doesn't take long for Thosar to discover the mechanism for opening the mammoth gates; a lever made of the same metal as the gates themselves protrudes from the wall behind a small guard post that consists of little more than a waist-high barricade and a few stools. The mechanism moves smoothly and locks into the lowered position with an audible click as a release hidden in the rock activates. As the air fills with a distant rumble and the ground quakes, it's easy to remember the sights of the clockwork operations of the main gates during the initial entry into Hammerfall; likely its twin components are secreted away from view.

Slowly--painfully and agonizingly slowly--the twin gates begin to open inward, sliding against the stone floor and revealing a darkness, absolute and unyielding, on the other side.

Distant shouts can be heard in the distance as the lights marking the advance of the guards redouble their pace. The dangling chains and counterweights of the elevator system jangle to life as the platforms begin moving upward--whether to cut off escape or facilitate the descent of an even larger force is not clear.

A hideous screech fills the air as the gates grind to a halt only partway through their arc; clearly, with the intent to never open the gates again, Hammerfall has neglected to service the complicated gearwork at their heart. The aperture is more than wide enough to admit a person, barely large enough to admit something as large as a fully-armored J'Raffa, but there is no hope of getting the wagon through.

Barrow leaps down from the driver's bench and fumbles through his pockets until he finds his badge of office as an agent of the Gottermang, which he hastily pins to his tunic. "I'll try t'hold them off!" he announces. "I'll tell 'em... tell 'em... I'll tell 'em something!"

Mike M

Nick N
((You'd have time to load up as much of your gear as you can carry/toss as much as you can into the magic haversack and free the horses, but not enough time to load up the horses themselves))

Thosar looks over to Barrow with a smile. "We can handle ourselves and get out of here handily but our return is going to be a lot more complicated. We'll need someone on the inside to help us get through... Do you know if the guards can see invisible creatures easily? I want you hidden if possible, otherwise just tell them we kidnapped you or whatever you need to avoid trouble."

"Barrow," says Keranos, "If you need political allies, seek Majority Leader Sahalish of the House of Ance. She owes me a rather large favor. And while I do not regret my actions, I do sincerely apologize for putting you in this position. Thank you for everything you've done for us."

So saying, Keranos scoops up as much gear as he can and then ducks under the gate, into the abyss.

Nezumi

Sagishi had been feeling rather comfortable and if he'd have a say in it he would've gladly spend the next leg of their journey in his current position, but a loud screech of the door tells him that the time for leisure is over again.

He wiggles himself free from his cosy bed and jumps to the floor where he immediately transforms into his human form. His clothes are still a bit damp but Fhiess had done a good job of rubbing him dry.

He dashes to the wagon and quickly grabs his weapons, travel bag, and everything else that appears to be useful. Sadly he is quite used to impromptu get-aways and it is as if some instinct takes over.

"We need that magic bag!", he barks unsure where it is at the moment. "And someone needs to untie the horses so that we can bring them with us. Ludwig, you are the strongest of us grab what you can of our supplies now, we can transfer it to the horses later."

Once everything is settled he turns to Barrow and grabs the dwarf's hands.
"I'm sorry to leave you behind, Baldy, old friend. Your wisdom and stories will be missed on our travels to come. Hopefully we'll meet again under less perilous circumstances, so that we can exchange tales over a mug of beer."

((Would an Iron Door work to barricade the gate once we're through?
"Up to 10 feet high and 10 feet wide door you can place in an opening you can reach. Conforms to fit the opening, barred on the side you choose."))

Mike M

Nick N
((Iron Door would leave a significant gap at the top, but a ten foot door is still a significant obstacle, so it would work for your purposes.))

With the gate not wide enough to fit the wagon through, Ludwig rushes back over to the wagon and picks up as much of the party's inventory as he can hold, prioritizing the big things too cumbersome for anyone else to readily grab on the way out.

"This was so avoidable," he mutters to himself as he scoops up the biggest items in the car.

Mike M

Nick N
<Could a major illusion cover the area we're passing through and make it harder to detect what we're doing exactly?>
((Depends on the application, I guess. You're limited to a 20ft cube, so you can't conceal that the gate is open (since they're way taller), and while they probably can't make you out too well from the distance they're at, the soldiers can see you.))

((A fog cloud would actually benefit us more here. No saves involved and it's a bigger area.
If Barrow is set on talking through things, I recommend an eagle's splendor in Fheiss' case.))
With the horses loosed and the equipment gathered, Thosar arranges for stalling tactics. "Keranos, I need a fog cloud placed at the entrance, make it as large as you can. Fheiss, please give Barrow the best shot he can at talking his way out of this. An Eagle's Splendor and an inspiring word or two could help him quite a bit. As we leave, I will place a door behind us and then web the gap above it. Sagishi, make sure the bar on our side of the door is jammed so they can't unlock it. Everyone else haul what you can through and prepare to make best speed out of here!"

As the others make their arrangements, he pauses a few seconds before removing the door patch from his cloak. "Don't get yourself into too much trouble, Barrow. We still need you when we return. Good luck, my friend, may the light of understanding guide your path."

As soon as everyone is safely through the gate, Keranos casts Fog Cloud, centered just outside the gate. If time allows, he'll also wait for Thosar to create his iron door before throwing up the fog.

Fhiess begins casting a spell to aid in Barrow's diplomatic abilities, "I wish you wouldn't go, I don't think they are going to be receptive of what we have to say, but if you are still going to go then let me lend you magical help."

<Casting Enhance Ability for an advantage on Charisma skills for Barrow>

Nezumi

Once everyone is inside the dark tunnel Sagishi jams the shut from their side.

((Not sure if I need some check for this. Thieves' tools probably not the right one though.))

((Galen helps Ludwig gather what he can in their hasty retreat, and he grabs his own bag and quarterst- walking stick. He will also carry an extra bag if time demands.

As history has taught us, Ludwig has a 960 pound carrying capacity. How much of that is currently available?

Of note on the wagon are the following:

Three backpacks
  • One contains 15 flasks of oil wrapped in 3 blankets. Hanging on the outside is a length of rope and a bullseye lantern.
  • Another contains 20 iron spikes, 20 pitons, and 2 block and tackle sets, wrapped in a blanket. On the outside hangs a rope much like the last.
  • And the final holds a sledge hammer and 2 block and tackle sets. The outside bears a grappling hook and a shovel.

Three sacks
  • The first holding 2 sets of medium-sized winter clothes and a g'raffa-sized set.
  • The second containing 6 blankets and 4 sacks.
  • The third containing 15 torches wrapped in a bundle of 3 sacks, as well as a g'raffa-sized blanket.

4 thick ropes
1 10 occupant yurt.

There should also be a sled, but I think that may be bigger than I expected.
The thurible brazier could be important as well.))

Galen rushes to the wagon with Ludwig, drips of water flying from his clothing with each step, and does his best to help the g'raffa load up on their much needed supplies. Once they've taken care of everything they can, he grabs his own pack from the wagon, slinging it over his shoulder, and snatches his walking stick. He takes a few quick steps toward the gate before spinning around to look Barrow in the eye.

"Thank you, Barrow, for all you've done for us. It has been an honor traveling with you, and I shall look forward to the time we meet again. May the light shine upon your path, my friend, and good luck."

Galen joins the others as they make their escape.

Mike M

Nick N
"Panic" is perhaps not quite the right word as the Endowed free the horses and unload whatever they can carry before the guards arrive. More like "highly motivated."

Fhiess gifts Barrow with a bard's silver tongue in the hopes that it will aid him in his imminent confrontation with the law as Keranos covers their escape with a suffocating blanket of fog to obscure their actions. Once everyone is on the other side of the gates, Thosar uses his magic to erect a partial barrier that spans the width of the aperture between the heavy metal gates, but falls well short of the top of the outsized barriers. Still, it would take two dwarfs standing atop one another to even peer over the top of the thing, let alone surmount it and continue any sort of pursuit. Almost as an afterthought, Sagishi sabotages the latch on their side; even if one of the guards gets over the iron door, they'd never be able to open it for the others.

The light escaping through the gap between the gates does not penetrate far, and within only a few paces the tunnel narrows significant and makes the need for lanterns apparent. Suitably illuminated, they continue along the flat, level ground as indistinct angry shouts chase after them. Only when the crack in the gates has dwindled into a barely-perceptible line of light behind them do they take the time to properly load up the horses and take the time to properly explore their surroundings;

The floor is made of exceptionally smooth stone that shows no sign of tools or other means of working it. Set into the center of the tunnel is a pair of parallel rails positioned a few meters apart from one another. These also seem to be constructed of one continuous piece and are evidently of the same black metal of the gates of Hammerfall and the road obelisk encountered at the start of their journey, the hallmark of Hauntaur workmanship. At one point a capsized sledge of some sort is passed--it has obvious clasps on either end where it would attach to other sledges of similar design, and a groove in the presumptive bottom to ride along the rail. Metal buckles lie about, and it doesn't take long before someone deduces these are what remains of some sort of tie-downs after the straps--made of some organic material such as leather or rope--have long since rotted away. A cargo car, then.

The tunnel is wide enough to be unsettling. When walking between the rails, the lights of the lanterns aren't enough to reach the tunnel walls, giving the impression of a great, looming void surrounding a small island of monotonous existence. At periodic intervals, there are great towering buttresses rising into the darkness above, and even a lantern held aloft by Ludwig is insufficient to illuminate the ceiling.

Interspersed between the buttresses, crystal globes are set into the wall. A cursory examination would reveal that despite the seemingly impossible combination of their size and clarity, they are mundane and non-magical (though it seems likely magic was employed in their construction). They have the disconcerting effect of seeming to swallow all the light cast upon them, which makes the tunnel seem as though it is lined with entrances to some immense hive of insects or other such creature.

After what feels like must have been hours of travel, they happen upon a trio of sledges still mounted upon one of the rails. The car at the front does not share the same configuration as the other two, however, featuring waist-high walls around its perimeter and an obvious set of controls set into a pedestal at its front.

It’s not currently active.

((I'm getting The Dark Tower vibes from this scene))

Keranos has been quiet since things settled down. The tension between him and his teammates has been palpable, but he does not intend to be the one to break the silence, anticipating verbal attacks from two sides at a minimum and preferring not to go on the offensive right now.

When they come upon the vehicles, intact but non-operational, he looks them over with some interest. He lightly kicks one of them to check for durability, then gives the rear car a brief push with all of his strength.

"We may have ourselves a new wagon," he finally breaks the silence. "If the horses can be shown to pull these things along the tracks." He very much hopes that is the case, for though he would never admit it, his feet are killing him after all this walking.

The eerie curiosities lining the tunnels catch Fhiess' interest as well as a feeling of slight dread going into such a place of unfamiliarity. He steps carefully to avoid slipping on the ground that feels almost like a marble floor between his feet and boots. A brief inspection is given to the globes catching light.

Although the tunnels seem abandoned, Fhiess cautiously finds himself trying to avoid stepping around the rails. Once news is spoken about a vehicle they can use, Fhiess looks at what little details he can make out in the darkness with a blank look and asks, "Are you sure it's safe?"

((Galen's not speaking next about the rail carts, but he does have something to say before they get to that point.))

Galen walks up to one of the crystal globes and taps it with his walking stick.

"Thosar, would you happen to know anything about these?"

((Investigation:
[17]+1=18
))

((This campaign is getting railroaded, folks.))

The trek through the darkness feels like an eternity after the frenzied hurry at the gates. With trouble behind them and likely in front, Thosar casts his eye at the workmanship and old architecture surrounding the party. Even with his elf eyes he cannot fully see the ceiling in places, the darkness isolating the party from everything else.

He gazes at the old cart along with the rest of the party, pondering its meaning and function.
"Let me see here, this reminds me of something I read..."
investigation: 1D20+7 = [12]+5 = 17
history: 1D20+1D4+10 = [17]+[3]+10 = 30

Mike M

Nick N
Galen's investigation of the crystal globes doesn't reveal much. They are set flush with the wall so that only half of it is exposed, but shining a light through them shows enough within to demonstrate that they are fully spherical. There doesn't seem to be anything on the other side but rock and what appears to be either some manner of cable or perfectly level and even vein of some other material running through the stone; the distortion of the orb makes it difficult to tell.

Thosar's investigation of the trio of carts doesn't explicitly remind him of anything, but much of the functionality seems self-evident; the flatbed carts would be used to carry some sort of load--didn't the Hauntaur have some sort of mining operation in the White Wastes?--while the car at the front was operated by a conductor. The controls themselves seem almost absurdly simplistic; pedestal has a lever attached on one side, and a smaller version of the crystal globes set into the top of it. The lever points straight upward, the halfway mark of its full range of motion. The iconography engraved into the lever's casing is unmistakable: Push forward to go forward, pull back to reverse. Presumably, deceleration and braking the cart is performed by moving the lever in the direction opposite of the current direction of travel.

The crystals themselves stir something in Thosar's memory; Similar orbs are common finds at Hauntaur archeological sites, though they are typically fist-sized or smaller. The prevailing theory is that they functioned as some sort of repository of energies that could be used to release that energy over time or to contain a fixed number of usages. All known orbs are inert, and the manner in which they were vested with energy has never been replicated.

Thosar may recall that his former mentor had possessed such an orb that served as a glorified paperweight. Did anyone ever account for it after his master met his untimely demise? Who is to say.

Not seeing any reason to break the tension yet, Ludwig takes in the sights around him. To his surprise, even he can't get a lantern high enough to illumate everything. When they arrive at the sledges, Ludwig says "Well, it's not made of wood so it's out of my wheelhouse, but it totally looks like we could have the horses pull these." He's getting ready to guide the horses and get them tied up to the front car when Thosar does his examination of the device.

Nodding as he recalls what he can, Thosar putters around the controls, absentmindedly fiddling with the crystals on them.

"The cart is a simple self propelled vehicle, the spheres you see inlaid in the walls and controls are a sort of power storage. Quite useful, if only we knew how they worked... My old master used to have one of these." His gaze becomes wistful as he continues. "I don't think they ever did find his killer before Telmur was crushed. Shame to see a kind man like that never see justice."

The wistful look turns dark, now. Serious. "That leads me to another topic... Keranos, you need to understand that not only did your actions place Sagishi in immediate danger, they jeopardized the freedom and well being of Barrow. The future of the good drow may also be at risk as a further consequence. While the fate of some innocents fleeing persecution may be of no consequence to your moral sensibilities, your travelling companion, a friend, may well be in chains thanks to you.

You have been rash before, but you crossed the line into dangerous. We are travelling into unknown territory now, there will be no more foolishness of that nature when one wrong move could cost all of our lives."

With a stony face, Keranos listens to Thosar's admonishment. When the wizard is finished, he looks at everyone else. "Before I respond, does anyone else have something to say? Let's lay it all out and get this over with all at once."

Nezumi

Sagishi has been silent on their journey through the eery dark tunnel whose hidden heights even his eyes hadn't been able to penetrate. There was a tension in the group which he didn't like, but somehow he couldn't bring himself to address it, mostly because he feared that it will only get worse. So he had transformed back to a fox and scouted ahead in the darkness.

So in a way he is glad that it is Thosar who finally says what probably had been on everyone's mind and now that they're at it, he sits down on his hunches, his tails neatly placed to his left and right and fixates Keranos with a silvery stare.

"Well, aside from blowing me up, almost drowning me and causing trouble to our allies that might as well render everything we have accomplished in the last days useless, you also managed to make our return journey a lot more difficult, considering that the only way back that we know of is the one we just came. We already stretched the Kin's goodwill rather thin when we secured the vote, by now we are probably on top of their most wanted list. Getting back through Hammerfall will be no easy task.

"Oh and since we are talking about the Kin. Thanks to you we now lost the last chance we had of ridding them of the remaining glurg, which I, how you pointed out so kindly before, foolishly gave to them."

He pauses for a moment and sighs.

"I do have to admit though that I'm partly to blame here as well. If I had told all of you what I was going to do none of this would've had happened."

He crouches down his head almost touching his front paws and mutters a phrase in Nihaanese that can be identified by those with knowledge of Sylvan as a very formal apology.

He remains in that position a few seconds before lifting his head again, visibly relived. "I guess it is save to say that from now on we are back to discussing things to death, huh?"

He smiles, which isn't an easy feat with a snout, and hopes that Keranos is able to set aside his pride for once so that harmony can return to their group. They sure as hell might need it on the journey ahead.

Ludwig sighs and shakes his head. "You know, they kind of just covered the big points. I can understand why you did what you did, I didn't like the idea of them having all that glurg either. But you almost exploded and drowned Sagishi going about it all reckless like, and now we're definitely going to be wanted men when we return. I don't care too much about being wanted by a crony government, but I expect you to take responsibility and help me knock out the guards that try to arrest us or Barrow on our return."

He laughs for a second an says "Shit, I guess I don't have a whole lot of room to lecture you on being reckless, do I? I've played fast and loose with my life in a good chunk of the fights we've been in. But that's the thing, I'm being reckless with my life, not the lives of you guys, and you need to get that distinction."

"Maybe you're still used to being a god, where your risk is nearly nonexistent and you can crush every evil you become aware of, big and small alike. But unfortunately, for the time being at least, that's not you anymore. You're working on a mortal scale like the rest of us now, and that means having to pick and choose the evils you fight. It would be great if we could just crush every shadowy organization we chance across, but just poking them in the eye when we have to pass back through that city? That's just jeopardizing our quest for a small win, to say nothing of the fact that even if we broke them, another criminal organization would inherently fill its place to profit off the sectors made by regulation. Jonesing for a fight with every would-be mafia is reckless."

"And speaking of reckless," he says, turning his attention to Thosar, "What the hell were you thinking, taking a ticking time bomb with us? Hammerfell could have become spire city part 2 there."

For a moment, Thosar looks a bit quizzical, then smiles. "Oh, you mean the terrible curse? Complete fabrication my friend, I just needed to give the bagman some motivation to give us something along with ensuring Peaseblossom's safe return. I saw the opportunity and took it.

Apologies for putting one over on the rest of you. I thought it'd be best if your reactions were genuine to so as to sell the ruse a bit better."

Ludwig pauses for a good ten awkward seconds before loudly clearing his throat. "...Right. Of course. I knew that, as did all of us, I'm sure. Just wanted to make some time for Keranos to digest everything. Yes, that."

((Since Fhiess and Galen don't seem like the types to pile on, and since I actually have time to respond right now, I'm going to go ahead and address what's been said. If Fhiess and/or Galen want to speak up though, I'll address them in a separate post))

Keranos drinks in his teammates' grievances, and when they're done, at first he doesn't say anything. In fact, he turns away from them for nearly a full minute.

When he again faces them, he is wearing an easy smile - a veneer he has, until now, only employed when schmoozing with strangers and evangelizing to townspeople. This is a side of Keranos that the rest of the party has never been on the receiving end of.

"Sagishi," he begins. "I sincerely apologise for the bodily injuries I caused you. Had I known you were going to get on that boat, I would have acted much differently."

His facial expression is contrite. A beat passes, and while his face remains the same, his tone of voice shifts to that of a parent gently scolding a child. "But as you suggested, you should never have been on that boat to begin with. You knew perfectly well that those criminals had the capability to easily screen their cargo for invisible creatures. What was your plan for when - not if, but WHEN - you were discovered?

"I can only imagine how these Kin would react when they found you. Like as not, they would have held you for ransom, and we would have been in precisely the same situation you got us into when Peaseblossom was taken, except we would be out of glurg to trade. If anything, perhaps you all should thank me for preemptively rescuing Sagishi from what would have been another hostage situation."

He turns to Thosar next, and his tone shifts to one of sympathy. "I do not blame you for your scholar's tendency to not see the trees for the forest, Thosar. You've spent your whole life cooped up in the halls of academia and have spent precious little time out in the weeds of the real world. But the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and you seem to be so preoccupied with the greater good that you're willing to ignore the evil right in front of you.

"You speak of my lack of morality, but you saw - we ALL saw - what that glurg is capable of. Mere drops of it will drive a man mad, right up until their painful and untimely demise, not to mention the collateral damage they'll cause before burning out. These Kin are dangerous criminals, as clearly demonstrated by their willingness to kidnap Peaseblossom and hold her for ransom. They would have no qualms using the stuff for nefarious purposes that we haven't even dreamed of. By destroying their supply of glurg before they had the opportunity to distribute it, how many innocent lives did I save today? Hundreds? Thousands?

"And if you think we could have feasibly waited to destroy the entire batch at once, you're frankly fooling yourselves. The rest of the batch is almost certainly long gone by now, as I'm sure Fhiess, no stranger to the shipping industry, can attest to.

"I do feel bad for the position I've put Barrow in, but he is no innocent bystander in all this. He is a willing actor who has already gotten his hands dirty, and he knew the risks. I think you underestimate the political capital he possesses; I think he will be fine, but yes, Ludwig, if it comes to it then I will happily fight side by side with you to rescue him from the clutches of oblivion.

"As to the voting rights of the Drow citizens, I believe your concerns are unwarranted. They already HAVE voting rights thanks to our efforts, and it's too late for the Kin to do anything about it. The vote never even factored into it.

"And finally, regarding our ability to return to the city. I admit that this may have been jeopardized, but I would posit that the cause is not entirely lost. The Kin will be loathe to make public their dealings in glurg, which would almost certainly be illegal if knowledge of its existence were made widespread. So their only option would be to frame us for crimes not committed, a mammoth undertaking when you consider the powerful political allies we already possess in the city, including Vess Talbot and Majority Leader Sahalish, of the Chamber of Ance.

"But even if we are never again able to return to Hammerfell, our temporary inconvenience of needing to find another route pales in comparison to the lives that will be saved by virtue of that glurg not infesting the streets of the city."

He pauses for a few seconds, for dramatic effect, and shifts to a tone of quiet resolve. "I make no apologies for the decision I made today, and I would do it again, given the chance. I will not compromise my morals for anyone, not even my closest allies. My responsibility to those who worship me is too great. If you take issue with how I conduct myself, then I'm afraid that's too bad."

Again his tone shifts to mild cheerfulness. "Now, are we ready to put this behind us and continue on?"

With a torch, Fhiess looks over and under the rail cart after being told what it can do and how to power it, to make sure there isn't enough decay to prevent movement of the wheels on the path.

Rolling "Perception" : 1d20 + 9
Rolling 1d20 + 9
( 19 ) + 9 = 28

He is distracted by the study of the machine long enough that he only notices the discussion happening late. He stands back up and dusts himself off, approaching quietly but listening to the others. Feeling that he should chime in, he says, "I think there's much more to the Kin than we were led to believe. Don't you remember what they call their leader? True King Lefford, leader of 'New Telmur'. Don't you think that level of influence will have some kind of play in what is happening to Telmur?"

He clears his throat of any dust that might have accumulated in his breath, "I don't think it is a coincidence that they demanded the glurg that was proven to have been manufactured widely. In any case, I'm sure our usefulness would have been expired after we had given them the glurg and they would have tried to kill us eventually."

He closes his eyes for a moment, "There was no way Keranos could've known Sagishi since I had failed to tell everyone, but still.. I was terrified for Sagishi's life."

Nezumi

((OK, I'm pretty drunk at the moment and tyljng on my phons in a bus is really hard. I just wanted to make sure that before we move on Sagishi is gonna have a word. And he is going to be pissed now. Because there is only so much of smartass smuggery that he can take but words dont come easy at the moment so habe some patience. ))

Top Bottom