• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media blackouts make games so much more fun for me

BigBusiness

Neo Member
Yeah, I've been going blackout for Odyssey ever since I saw them showing so much of the game at E3. Would prefer to keep as much to discover as humanly possible!

Falk

that puzzling face
It's something of an impossibility right now but I went into both FFXIII and Brutal Legend knowing 0 about the game (except there was a character that looks like Cloud for FFXIII) and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Watched Your Name likewise literally not knowing anything except that it was being talked about (and not even why it was being talked about).

kami_sama

Yeah, I've been going blackout for Odyssey ever since I saw them showing so much of the game at E3. Would prefer to keep as much to discover as humanly possible!
I did more or less the same. Only with the latest Direct.
They showed too fucking much, for fuck sake.

Also, this is my first media blackout ever. I cannot forget what I already saw, but I hope what I didn't get to see is much more.

Watched Your Name likewise literally not knowing anything except that it was being talked about (and not even why it was being talked about).

Same. I knew it was good, but didn't know anything else. I fucking loved it.

Flying Fish

Neo Member
Playing Etrian Odyssey V completely blind even though the game came out around a year ago in Japan. I'm eagerly anticipating the stratum themes.

GamerJM

Banned
That's a weird way to think. My thoughts: We enjoy the game so much that we want to expierence it ourselves without knowing every single thing about it. What's the point of playing a story based game if you know everything that will happen? It's like going to see a movie that someone has spoiled for you. I have fun when I get to expierencd things myself and not knowing everything that will happen or about the secret level at the start of the game.

Story-based is something I can understand more. I've never been "spoiled," by a game's story through media coverage but I guess I can see that.

But often people go on media blackouts for like...Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, indie platformers, etc. Games wherein the enjoyment hardly comes from the story. Fighting games and not knowing what secret characters are in is another big one as well.

alf717

Had to resort to using Video Blocker cause Youtube doesn't give a fuck about spoilers. There was one for keywords on forums someone posted once and I forgot which extensions that was. Any info on a game is harder to avoid these days cause every damn Youtuber wants to be first even if the info is wrong. Kind of sucks the lengths you gotta go just to avoid this stuff. I'm just glad the tools exist to get around this.

Had to resort to using Video Blocker cause Youtube doesn't give a fuck about spoilers. There was one for keywords on forums someone posted once and I forgot which extensions that was. Any info on a game is harder to avoid these days cause every damn Youtuber wants to be first even if the info is wrong. Kind of sucks the lengths you gotta go just to avoid this stuff. I'm just glad the tools exist to get around this.
Yeah if I'm trying to blackout a few, I don't watch anything on Youtube if I can, and if there's one or two things I do wanna at least preview a bit, I sure as heck hide the recommended video bar haha. 'No, no, Youtube, because I just watched a 'preview' or 'game demo,' that does not mean I want to watch 'Shocking! An Analysis of Why X Was Murdered' about the ending.

Top Bottom