• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

-Deimos

I have a preorder of this for $49 (it's $69.99 regular price here in Canada) and I have no idea whether to cancel it or not. None of my friends are getting it so that's a turnoff and I hate the whole DLC bullshit they're spreading, but it DOES look fun...

Keep it. We'll get a group running where we can complain about Canadian game prices or something.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Snagged this during the price glitch. The last beta was great, so I'm really excited.

Steam. I'm not very good at the game, but it's whatever.

If only my buddies were picking this up. I liked the beta a lot, but I won't play this game without buddies, and sadly the DLC shit has turned quite a bit of them off.

Skyzard

Banned
When is this releasing on UK Steam? I thought it was meant to be 11pm (Midnight CEST)

45mins till midnight (00:00) according to steam anyway.

da fuq, steam now says:

"Coming soon
This item is not yet available."

instead of a countdown

If only my buddies were picking this up. I liked the beta a lot, but I won't play this game without buddies, and sadly the DLC shit has turned quite a bit of them off.

Why not play with folks here on GAF? DestinyGAF and TitanfallGAF were fantastic with meeting up with great people, and I imagine it'll be like that here.

And honestly while I'm not happy with the DLC prices, I'm kind of sick of all the misinformation and spinning going on in regards to it. You have Jim Sterling not mention the free maps and modes (while praising a game this week for doing free updates to show a game 'doing it right', though I agree with him that HW is indeed a model to follow) in his analytical response, people refusing to look into it while spouting their hearsay and bias driven assumption, and even Jason from Kotaku of all people making it look more complicated than it actually is(I think GAF is rubbing off on him). Makes me wonder how many folks are being turned off by the legitimate issues of pricing and marketing focus principles rather than all the shit trying to make it look like a Watch Dogs situation or Day 1/cut content DLC garbage.

Still trying to decide if season pass is worth it

A 'Season Pass' consisting of a single DLC drop at that price, not really IMO.

As someone else said, there will likely be a sale somewhere at least for PC down the line.
I have ten days to plat this. It should be fun.

Can you matchmake for coop? I don't think I ever saw an answer for that.

Like if you're in a party/with friends looking for others? I think so. Only restriction I remember was that you can't have someone in the party in-game as the Monster or something to that effect.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I have ten days to plat this. It should be fun.

Can you matchmake for coop? I don't think I ever saw an answer for that.

Are you talking about co-op with friends? If so, you can build a party beforehand consisting of you and three other hunters, however you can't build an entire game with the monster through the matchmaking system. Instead there is apparently a custom match option for those wanting to play 4v1 with friends.

Klyka

Banned
ok guys, come on I need some people with mics on Steam :D

steamname is Klyka

just hit me up and hunt, i just took down my first Goliath :D

Are you talking about co-op with friends? If so, you can build a party beforehand consisting of you and three other hunters, however you can't build an entire game with the monster through the matchmaking system. Instead there is apparently a custom match option for those wanting to play 4v1 with friends.

Well, I was expecting the worst anyway. After the Beta I have no interest in playing with randoms. We'll see how fun SP is.

Klyka

Banned
Set Monster as my least favorite = become the monster.

I have no idea how people play them properly, everything feels so clunky :(

Nice OT! Despite the fact I love the gameplay in Evolve I was worried about the potential sheer lack of longevity and bang for my buck. However, I managed to secure a PS4 copy at a very very good price and it should be with me for launch day tomorrow. So I am in and I am subbed!

How many other people are picking the game up on PS4?

Set Monster as my least favorite = become the monster.

I have no idea how people play them properly, everything feels so clunky :(

I think the big issue I have with the monster versus a decent group of Hunters is that most maps getting spotted=death. Tranqs are brutal and most maps that I played in the Beta just aren't that friendly to the Monster in being able to hide from active pursuit.

Really hope the sequel (please let there be one) will have maps with more nooks and crannies more suitable for the monster outside of hugging a cliff wall in hopes the hunters jump over and don't hang around, as well as offering some more options in breaking line of sight.

Skyzard

Banned
Wut the hell. Still locked in UK.

They can't switch it like that hours before release can they? Tried restarting steam a few times.

---
from steam forums on Skipping intros:

How to skip all the open/load Evolve intros but the one with the skip button.

Goto the Evolve folder in steam:
\Steam\SteamApps\common\Evolve\Game

Put a 1 in the start of the names of files:
Videos_stage1.pak
Videos_stage2.pak

Happy hunting!

EDIT: I seem to have found all the in game videos in a match
Put a 1 at the start of these

Videos_stage3-part0.pak
Videos_stage3-part1.pak
Videos_stage3-part2.pak
Videos_stage3-part3.pak
Videos_stage3-part4.pak
Videos_stage3-part5.pak

Also, don't forget to turn on motion blur (autoexec.cfg with r_MotionBlur = 1 in the main folder).

Evacuation matches are rather difficult to find.

I hope they fix this cursor issue fast.

Edit: Ran into someone earlier who had already unlocked the third monster. Was really cool to fight against.

Why not play with folks here on GAF? DestinyGAF and TitanfallGAF were fantastic with meeting up with great people, and I imagine it'll be like that here.

And honestly while I'm not happy with the DLC prices, I'm kind of sick of all the misinformation and spinning going on in regards to it. You have Jim Sterling not mention the free maps and modes (while praising a game this week for doing free updates to show a game 'doing it right', though I agree with him that HW is indeed a model to follow) in his analytical response, people refusing to look into it while spouting their hearsay and bias driven assumption, and even Jason from Kotaku of all people making it look more complicated than it actually is(I think GAF is rubbing off on him). Makes me wonder how many folks are being turned off by the legitimate issues of pricing and marketing focus principles rather than all the shit trying to make it look like a Watch Dogs situation or Day 1/cut content DLC garbage.

Here here I find it all to be quite rediculous. I feel like 2k and Turtle Rock have been really upfront about things.

They are treating Evolve like a title that will last a few years. I like them handling it this way with strong post release content and fixes.

It means that more then likely 90% of the main team won't be making Evolve 2 in the next coming weeks and are actually focusing on making this the game is needs to be.

Here here I find it all to be quite rediculous. I feel like 2k and Turtle Rock have been really upfront about things.

They are treating Evolve like a title that will last a few years. I like them handling it this way with strong post release content and fixes.

It means that more then likely 90% of the main team won't be making Evolve 2 in the next coming weeks and are actually focusing on making this the game is needs to be.
I hope that's what happens. That's what I wanted from Titanfall too.

This is why I like Valve and Blizzard.

I hope they fix this cursor issue fast.

Edit: Ran into someone earlier who had already unlocked the third monster. Was really cool to fight against.
I've been complaining about it on their forums since the private alpha in August. Maybe they'll finally get around to it now that the game is out. -_-

And it's not hard to unlock all monsters. A single round of Defend with Goliath and then Kraken should do it, provided you use all of your abilities.

I've been complaining about it on their forums since the private alpha in August. Maybe they'll finally get around to it now that the game is out. -_-

And it's not hard to unlock all monsters. A single round of Defend with Goliath and then Kraken should do it, provided you use all of your abilities.
That's what worries me. I remember this issue from beta. It's fine for like 5 minutes and then vanishes.

Seems like something they should have fixed quite sometime ago.

Skyzard

Banned
That's what worries me. I remember this issue from beta. It's fine for like 5 minutes and then vanishes.

Seems like something they should have fixed quite sometime ago.

I feel like they spent most of the time fixing the console versions since the betas. Motionblur enabled through a config file and with graphical glitches still...it really helps with this game too.

---Unlocked in UK steam - restart steam if it isn't.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Very gorgeously designed OP, well done!

I'm still very skeptical. I picked it up during the $6 price error, and the DLC madness isn't really a huge concern to me right now. We'll see if the full game has any better legs with my crew than the Alpha/Beta did.

Best of luck to the Turtle Rock crew.

phoenixyz

So the game just unlocked and I played the Monster and Markov tutorials. But now there are no more tutorials. Is that how it's supposed to be? I expected at least a tutorial for every class.

Top Bottom