• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

I am in the same boat.

CqfEwxe.gif

Mezoly

My Best Buy order is saying ready to pick up. Does anyone know if they will actually give it tonight before release time?

MrHoot

Either Ueda's next thing is gonna be much smaller scale, if a game at all. Or we're not gonna see a new game from him for a very, very long time if he keeps his maddening perfectionism for details (like seriously, I am amazed by the amount of care some stuff went in the movement of some animation, not just the creature, but the environment, and the SOUND my god)

Haines

Banned
Can anyone help.

How do i play this on 1080p on my pro/4k?

I switch to 1080p, go in game, than switch to 2160 rgb? Not 2160 y20?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Either Ueda's next thing is gonna be much smaller scale, if a game at all. Or we're not gonna see a new game from him for a very, very long time if he keeps his maddening perfectionism for details (like seriously, I am amazed by the amount of care some stuff went in the movement of some animation, not just the creature, but the environment, and the SOUND my god)

What's really funny is that Ueda himself seemingly doesn't do much research from what he's said and even went on to talk about how much he wings it at times.

Do we know how long it takes to beat the game?

Few more hours and I get to play this, so happy. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus gave me too much fun and great moments to pass this one up.

Dad

I just played ICO for the first time earlier this year and adored it. The wait between Ueda games for me has been pleasantly short =)

tommyguns

Can anyone help.

How do i play this on 1080p on my pro/4k?

I switch to 1080p, go in game, than switch to 2160 rgb? Not 2160 y20?

No. From what I understand, you set the system settings to 1080p and that's it. You don't switch it back to 2160

I mentioned this in an earlier thread but it got lost.

The original plan for the game was to actually release on PS2 believe it or not, as a relatively quick project after SotC. It quickly became apparent that this couldn't be possible, and that PS3 was coming so they moved dev to that. I am not sure if anything was actually written for PS2 (not like Ico, which was in full production on PS1), but yeah, that was the initial system for TLG.

I remember seeing it in 2010/2011 (can't remember exactly now) on a PS3 dev kit. It was running rough and at that point, allegedly months from release.

I think the next project will be smaller, but after that i can see a new collaboration with Sony (hopefully always set in this universe. Plis).

That "uncompromising vision"
In part, these delays are a function of Ueda’s uncompromising vision and unusual directorial process. When he is working on a new game, he begins by creating a mockup short film, which gives his team an impression of the feelings he wants to elicit but doesn’t get into technical details. “It’s quite different from the other folks pitching game ideas,” he told me. (Blockbuster games, particularly at Japanese studios, are often pitched on paper, in design documents as thick as phonebooks.)

The Ummah

Banned
This has to be such a weight off of everybody's shoulders involved, it's still hard to believe that this will be available for purchase.

Kilau

Just got this email from amazon, they canceled my order :(

Hello,

We're contacting you about order #102-0187446-6441867 for The Last Guardian - Playstation 3. We recently learned this item is no longer available from our supplier. As a result, we've canceled this item from your order and you haven't been charged for it.

A substitute item is available under a different item number. To place a new order for the substitute item, you can visit the product detail page here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZQBLNP4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com

Glanced at something about tutorial button prompts the whole way through. That might kill it for me. Anyone know for sure? Posted in review thread by accident.

SomTervo

Anybody else taking 50 minutes to download the 700 mb patch for this game. What the bloody hell

PS4 loves randomly taking 1/10th of your connection speed and considering that the limit.

I can be getting 4MB on my PC and across the room the PS4 is hitting whopping 200KB.

It's inconsistent, too. You can't predict it's shit.

I got a grim satisfaction when it started happening to some XBO users earlier this year. "Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around ", as Calvin said.

Zackat

this is a beautiful game y'all.

I have a raid to do in WoW or I would've kept playing. So far I am noticing no egregious frame drops, though there has been a spot or two where performance definitely is a problem. probably about 25 fps in those spots.

Trico is the most realistic animal of any game that I have ever played.

Glanced at something about tutorial button prompts the whole way through. That might kill it for me. Anyone know for sure? Posted in review thread by accident.

Some things they keep showing up, other things they don't. At least so far for me. The text is really nice so it isn't that bothersome tbh. I have more problems sometimes when the camera doesn't work how I wanted it to.

Dominator

I have the game downloaded on my PS4, but I really want to finish FFXV before I dive in. Gonna finish that, then go through TLG then play Dead Rising 4. Hopefully i can finish Final Fantasy up tomorrow because I really have been waiting for this game for so long. Shadow of the Colossus is so dear to me, I'm incredibly excited.

SomTervo

Going to dive into this as soon as I finish FF XV (so in like a month =P). The main complaint I've seen is that cat-bird has a mind of its own, but that's what I'm most interested in. I do a lot of animal training in real life and I'm curious how's well they've programmed the learning and decision making.

Please come back to us with your thoughts! Will be awesome to hear from a pro.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NbRk5ALUcIw

wave_of_feels-18739.gif

Sotc OST truly is the GOAT OST.

How is the music in tlg?

Somebody in the impressions thread said TLGs was better than Ico's or SotC's.

Which i find hard to believe.

If true: fuck.

Okay here's some pics for you guys. Not sure where I'm gonna display the statue yet so I didn't open Trico or take it out yet. :)
omg thank you!!! can you take an even closer shot of the statue if possible?

it seems high quality... but i just want to make sure before i collect my pre-order LOL

He has spoken about his desire to make more "normal" games, I believe he's talked about making an FPS. I can only imagine what a Ueda would create if designing a shooter. I imagine something like the Thin Red Line in comparison to most war movies out there.
An Ueda FPS? I can't even fathom what that might look like. Sure as hell would be interesting

TLG finally releasing is like akin to George Miller finally releasing Fury Road. We've had a lot of games inspired and influenced by his games over the years - Limbo and Inside, Toren, Papo Y Yo, Journey, Mare and Vane in the future - but they never were exactly able to capture what made Ueda games so unique.

I'd say Inside is up there as one of the best successors, in translating those expressive animations and lean design and mysterious world to a darker bleaker atmosphere

But Ueda's games have always combined elements like that with an ambition that pushed consoles to their limits - the world of Ico, the technical wizardry of the Colossi, and now the AI and animations of Trico - and created this wholly unique tone that you can't find anywhere else, in the nature of the gameplay and the animations and music and design of the world and such

MrHoot

An Ueda FPS? I can't even fathom what that might look like. Sure as hell would be interesting

TLG finally releasing is like akin to George Miller finally releasing Fury Road. We've had a lot of games inspired and influenced by his games over the years - Limbo and Inside, Toren, Papo Y Yo, Journey, Mare and Vane in the future - but they never were exactly able to capture what made Ueda games so unique.

I'd say Inside is up there as one of the best successors, in translating those expressive animations and lean design and mysterious world to a darker bleaker atmosphere

But Ueda's games have always combined elements like that with an ambition that pushed consoles to their limits - the world of Ico, the technical wizardry of the Colossi, and now the AI and animations of Trico - and created this wholly unique tone that you can't find anywhere else, in the nature of the gameplay and the animations and music and design of the world and such

To me what set Ueda's worlds apart is that they felt very tangible, like tales of a world older than our world, just lost in some corner somewhere. The animation and the actual "weight" to characters also made it really easy to connect and feel deeply in tune with them. A lot of people don't like the clumsiness or awkwardness of SotC or TLG's controls but to me they help a lot in just feeling how an actual person would get around in this world.

There's just a harmony to it all: visuals, details, music, gameplay. All wrapped in some sort of mellow, dream-like quality of something past

SomTervo

The Guardian's review has stuff i consider spoiler in it immediately.

Should have stuck to the scores only as i usually do. Le sigh.

So apparently Amazon has yet to ship me the CE, or to start shipping it, and it's supposed to come tomorrow... a little fucking late are we AGAIN Amazon? Pre-ordered it when it first showed up and I have a feeling it won't be here tomorrow...

Bluecondor

TimeEffect, thanks for posting this beautiful drawing.

Your drawing captures my feelings toward this game. I had a great cat in my life named Babe, who is pictured sitting on my lap on the right. Ever since I first saw the trailer back in 2009, Trico's movements and mannerisms reminded me of Babe (my cats, Babe and Ruth, were born in 2008 and named by a woman at the animal shelter). And, the more that I heard about how you couldn't control Trico in the game, because he had a mind of his own, I would smile at how this reminds me of me of her (Babe).

I7r0ERi.jpg

Sadly, Babe passed away suddenly this April shortly before her 8th birthday. I apologize for such a sad picture, but I wanted to post this along with your drawing because this brings me great joy.

I was listening to the IGN review earlier today, and this point of "criticism" just caught my attention:

"The problem here is that there were countless times where I’d mentally solved a puzzle and knew exactly what to do, only to find that Trico stubbornly refused to go to the spot I needed him to get to. Whether he was facing the wrong direction and refused to turn around or was just a few steps to either side of where he needed to be to initiate a jump, I became exhausted by his refusal to heed my commands. A little bit of this obstinance added to Trico’s charm, but it happened far too often, so most of the time it just bombarded me with frustration and made me lose any feeling that I existed in this world."

While I see his rationale point as a video game reviewer, his description of this reminds me of my numerous failed efforts to try and help my cat when she passed away. Babe stopped eating and would withdrew to places in my house where the light wouldn't bother her - despite my desperate attempts to feed her and give her medicine. I was always comforted though by the thought that she was going out on her own terms, and that my attempts to keep her going were simply not what she felt like putting up with anymore.

Man - it's going to be awesome to play this game. I miss that obstinance and all that charm. I'm actually looking forward to getting stuck multiple times in the midst of a difficult puzzle that I could easily solve if Trico would just do things my way.

Thanks again for the drawing TimeEffect.....

Top Bottom