• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zelda TP spoiler thread: ALL SPOILERS IN HERE OR ELSE (late game spoilers itt)

Just thought I'd clear something up; Edge had 6 hours with the game, but they only wrote about the stuff before the first dungeon; they said they did finish the dungeon. So it's not "6 hours till the first dungeon" like I made it sound. Sorry :) Still plenty of stuff before the dungeon though, so I don't find it hard to believe most of that time was spent pre-dungeon.

Little in dungeon spoiler:
Ooccoo - a chicken homunculus with a human head - takes residence in your inventory and allows you to warp out and return to the exact same spot, should you need supplies

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
TheGreatDave said:
Ooccoo - a chicken homunculus with a human head - takes residence in your inventory and allows you to warp out and return to the exact same spot, should you need supplies

Seems like they upped the difficulty a tad bit. Never have I needed anything that extensive to help me out in the first dungeon.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
soooo... where do I go to get a udate on what is currently known about this game? Like, characters and locations and shit...

And is Tingle confermed for this game yet? I ain't playin' if is AWOL, Nintendo! :mad:

Tritroid

TheGreatDave said:

:lol :lol What?

Nicktals said:
It took EDGE 6 hours to get to the first dungeon. I could be proved a fool here, but I really doubt it'll take more than 40-50 (I can always just pull a double shift on the final day!) to beat, going straight through. Of course I would continue playing, to do sidequests/fish.

Although really, now that you called me on it, I was lieing. I've never played a Zelda game straight through. I'm actually the type of person who cuts EVERY blade of grass, reads EVERY sign, talks to EVERY character...in all honesty, it'll probably take me ~80 hours. But that doesn't seem as cool now, does it?

The 6 hours to reach & finish the first dungeon seems about right. Im sure they only sampled some of the first town & characters, etc. and only had a limited time with the game as somebody else quoted. Also, looking at that demo from last E3, if they havent changed up that dungeon too much, it only looks about 2-2 1/2 hours long. That is for a full exploration.

Tritroid

gamergirly said:
The 6 hours to reach & finish the first dungeon seems about right. Im sure they only sampled some of the first town & characters, etc. and only had a limited time with the game as somebody else quoted. Also, looking at that demo from last E3, if they havent changed up that dungeon too much, it only looks about 2-2 1/2 hours long. That is for a full exploration.
The best thing about this Zelda is the controls will be different for all of us. Learning how to fight won't be the same as it was when we first played Wind Waker, as the controls there were essentially the same as OoT, and it was like re-learning how to ride a bike.

TP however, will be just like the first time we all played OoT and first learned how to control Link in a 3D environment. OMG I'm so hyped.

Tritroid said:
The best thing about this Zelda is the controls will be different for all of us. Learning how to fight won't be the same as it was when we first played Wind Waker, as the controls there were essentially the same as OoT, and it was like re-learning how to ride a bike.

TP however, will be just like the first time we all played OoT and first learned how to control Link in a 3D environment. OMG I'm so hyped.

The problem is that people will automatically dismiss them if they have trouble at first. It may not be as easy as it was to pick up on a gamepad, but I'm positive that once we get used to it, it'll be worth it. I had a hard time playing Halo at first because it was the first time I used dual analog sticks for a FPS, and that took me a while to get the hang of. But when I did, I loved the hell out of it and it's a preferable scheme to me now. I feel the same will happen with the Wiimote.

When I played it at the Fusion tour, it was a bit weird at first. 30 seconds later I had the hang of it and was having a lot of fun.

Tritroid said:

Yup. And I mean, it'll be more likely for 8 to 9 hours to reach/finish the first dungeon for me. Im the type of Zelda fan who doesnt go to the final boss until everything is completed. I dont feel any honor in becoming a zombie over lost sleep just so you can make a thread that you finished the game. It seems kinda cheap, for some reason. Who waits almost 4 years for a game and does a half ass job finishing it? What's the point?

DefectiveReject said:
Think Ninty are saying if like me (and you seem to be that type of gamer) you play the whole game through, you’re looking at 80hrs or so.
Add on to that as soon as I start fishing under a starry night sky in the rain, I just aint gonna play the rest of the game for a fair while.

Yeah. That's why it always takes me so long. I think the game will be longer than OOT(as I believe the size is much larger than some think). More to the average of 40 to 45 hours to finish it. For a completist(like me), more to the tune of 80 hours.

Tritroid

gamergirly said:
Yeah. That's why it always takes me so long. I think the game will be longer than OOT(as I believe the size is much larger than some think). More to the average of 40 to 45 hours to finish it. For a completist(like me), more to the tune of 80 hours.
If there are 9 dungeons in TP, then OoT is larger in that department.

However, TP's overworld literally dwarfs OoT's and I'm sure that also applies to dungeon size, so the number of dungeons in the end really doesn't matter.

Hopefully the dungeons will be better though. I'm really looking for at least one dungeon to contend with the Forest Temple -- the greatest dungeon in a videogame,
IMO

brandonh83 said:
Hopefully the dungeons will be better though. I'm really looking for at least one dungeon to contend with the Forest Temple -- the greatest dungeon in a videogame,
IMO

Not until you've played Stone Tower!

Tritroid

brandonh83 said:
IMO
Maybe in terms of style. Water temple kicked its ass in terms of difficulty though.

Tritroid said:
Maybe in terms of style. Water temple kicked its ass in terms of difficulty though.

I hate the Water Temple. Nice atmosphere and all, and music, but I think the Forest Temple had the superior atmosphere and music. The Water Temple confused me a lot, but the Forest Temple had a more relaxing difficulty. Not that I'm saying I don't like a challenge, but sometimes I just like to soak in the atmosphere. The Forest Temple allowed me to do that.

Amir0x

Banned
Water Temple is a triumph in dungeon design, but it was fundamentally held back by inventory management. Switching between iron boots and regular boots over and over is the most annoying shit ever, and really held it back.

The hell are you talking about ? The Spirit Temple absolutely can't be topped among the OoT dungeons ! Great music, killer level design, balanced difficulty, absolutely incredible ambiance, and did I mention the ****ing awesome boss too ?

twinrovaot9.jpg

No, nothing can top this.

StRaNgE

Banned
Amir0x said:
Water Temple is a triumph in dungeon design, but it was fundamentally held back by inventory management. Switching between iron boots and regular boots over and over is the most annoying shit ever, and really held it back.

i'm with you 100% on that !

Tritroid

I think the Forest Temple's atmosphere was great, don't get me wrong, but I think the Shadow Temple did a much better job of drawing you into the surroundings and forcing you to feel a sense of dread imo. So if there was one temple in the game that had superior style/atmosphere above the rest, I'd say it was the Shadow Temple.

Smiles and Cries said:
So can we ban the people who posted bullshit in this thread... Now I can't even tell what the facts are :(

Yeah, the thread was a frickin' joke in the first page, it was so irritating reading through all that crap.

Stormbringer said:
The Spirit Temple absolutely can't be topped among the OoT dungeons. Great music, killer level design, balanced difficulty, absolutely incredible ambiance, and did I mention the ****ing awesome boss too ?

twinrovaot9.jpg

No, nothing can top this.

Yes. The fact that you have 2 seperate parts for it(which was the same for Water & Shadow Temples as well), but the interaction too. It had the most story connected to it than any other Temple in OOT.
That mirror shield was one of the tighest items in the game for me and the Iron Knuckles were kewl

Water Temple, as somebody said above, kicked my butt. I cant tell you how many times I went back and forth trying to figure out where or HOW Im supposed to get the next key :lol.

Tritroid said:
I think the Forest Temple's atmosphere was great, don't get me wrong, but I think the Shadow Temple did a much better job of drawing you into the surroundings and forcing you to feel a sense of dread imo. So if there was one temple in the game that had superior style/atmosphere above the rest, I'd say it was the Shadow Temple.

I think all the temples and dungeons are awesome... but the look and feel of the Forest Temple to me is unparallel... as well as the architecture, and especially the music. The Shadow Temple is kinda scary, but the Forest Temple has this creepy/spooky thing about it that I love.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Amir0x said:
If only they allowed you to assign the iron boots to a c-button.

Nah i still wouldnt like that dungeon.

Amir0x

Banned
The Black Brad Pitt said:
If only they allowed you to assign the iron boots to a c-button.

Nah i still wouldnt like that dungeon.

Yeah :p

I loved it despite the issues it had, because it was one of the few actually challenging things in the game. So it stood out due to this, and it's a real testament to the design. I hope Twilight Princess has at least one really ultra clever dungeon like this...

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Amir0x said:
Yeah :p

I loved it despite the issues it had, because it was one of the few actually challenging things in the game.
If you want challenging try beating that guy in a race. **** always beats me by a second :p

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
The Black Brad Pitt said:
If you want challenging try beating that guy in a race. **** always beats me by a second :p

the marathon man in OoT? I thought he was programmed to beat you, and it was impossible to beat him without a hack. Not that beating him with a hack would do you any good since there isn't programmed a response to you beating him.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
mdm said:
I'd rather be a failure of a human than a furry

Well, you succeeded in that at least.

Why are you getting this game again?

And thanks Dave for the new info. This seems like the game that combines the best parts of OoT, the dungeon and world, with the sidequests of MM. Gonna be ****ing awesome (as expected).

[Nintex]

Oblivion said:
oh shit oh shit, I HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT THEY'RE SAYING NOW!!!
I've read the google translation..

Iwata interviews the "young designers" Miyamoto and Eonuma will follow at a later date.
They talk about the "left hand" sword thing..
Something about puzzle solving
I think they mention the "shield" being breakable.

That's all I can get from this shitty translation :(

Oblivion

[Nintex] said:

Iwata interviews the "young designers" Miyamoto and Eonuma will follow at a later date.

Ack. Thanks anyway. :)

How long does it take for these things to get translated usually?

[Nintex] said:

Shields will shatter, indeed...

Oblivion

I read that off another translator and it doesn't really say anything interesting. :/

Branduil said:
Stone Tower Temple was amazing.

But the Boss was a nightmare unless you drank the Romani Milk.

Not really. In fact, it was too easy compared to the rest of the games' bosses. All it takes is a few hits from the gilded sword and they both are rocked.

Now the guy in the first temple was a ****ing SWEET boss battle. Gosh what was his name...the African swordsman guy.

Beezy

TheGreatDave said:
Edge this month basically tells you everything up to the first dungeon. There's some nice stuff here, so I've typed it up. If it's old...damn.
Items:
Before the first dungeon, you will have: learned combat and horse riding, aquired a fishing rod and caught fish, got a slingshot, a lantern, and a "horseshoe-shaped reed" that calls Epona, and "bird shapped reeds" that call hawks to your arm, that you can throw at bees' nests or monkeys.

Story:
You rescue a couple of children and a monkey from moblins in the woods. Link's on his way to Hyrule to deliver a sword and shield. But shit, Moblins on boars attack, abducting "Colin" and Ilia, and Link gets dragged in to the Twilight, at which point he transforms in to a wolf. He wakes up chained in the ruins of Hyrule Castle, and Midna helps him escape.

With Midna on Wolf Link, you can attack multiple enemies at once with a circular energy around Link, kinda like the spin attack, which you have to do cos the enemies in the Twilight Realm often revive their dead buddies. Wolf Link then goes to meet Zelda, who can tell from the blue eyes that he's actually Hyrule's Savior! He then goes to the non-Twilight village, still as a wolf. People are scared of Wolf Link, but he can talk to animals. He then saves the nearly-Twilight Faron Woods by hunting down shadow insects and collecting the tears of light they've consumed, restoring Light Spirits, AKA Great Fairies. The Light Spirit then makes Link human again. You're then on your way to the first dungeon.

OMG. I wish I could get a Wii on launch day. :(

Top Bottom